Mechanics 101

A question about using the word 'AND' at the beginning of a sentence.

Now, I do distinctly remember when you were NEVER supposed to start a sentence with the word 'AND'...only to find out later that it's ok once in a while, but not all the time.

Does anybody know the ruling on this? What is the specific reason for this being right or wrong? Just curious! I'm probably gonna keep doing it wrong anyway. Hehehe! What can I say? I'm more comfortable doing it wrong now! :P

A question about using the word 'AND' at the beginning of a sentence.

Now, I do distinctly remember when you were NEVER supposed to start a sentence with the word 'AND'...only to find out later that it's ok once in a while, but not all the time.

Does anybody know the ruling on this? What is the specific reason for this being right or wrong? Just curious! I'm probably gonna keep doing it wrong anyway. Hehehe! What can I say? I'm more comfortable doing it wrong now! :P

It's appropriate when you want to imply continuity, according to dictionary.com anyway.

As far as I know, it's one of those 'grammatically incorrect' things you can use if it improves the writing. So, yeah, you can use it, just be sparing and have a good reason.

And I agree

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..