I'm in Japan

tomon

Ok so I've been in Japan for about 4 or 5 days. I'm living here for a year now as part of my university degree. I wasn't scared or worried before I came, just I knew that it would be difficult and tried to prepare myself.

However since it is the first time I've been to Japan and it's not like a tourist holiday, it's living here, sorting out loads of registration forms, household supplies, university etc. I'll happily admit I'm slightly overwhelmed. No amount of book learning or television documentaries prepare you for the culture shock, literally everything is different, from showers to getting on a bus. Everything has a completely different system to what I'm used to and I find myself doing things that make people laugh. Alas, I have inevitabley become "a stupid foreigner".

I've found myself wandering around going "That's so weird", "That's really funny" but then I realise, no I'm weird here, I'm the one who isn't normal. I have to intergrate into their way of working, not think "Why am I buying a lunch ticket from a vending machine to give to the lady who's stood next to the vending machine and therefore knows exactly what I want?"

With that, I'll end it for now, probably upload a photo or 2 when I can get my camera working, and study hard as communicating at the moment is not going well for me. This is one of the hardest things I've ever done.

That said, having already spent a year in Israel as a child, I can only think how lucky I am to get to experience another culture again, and that I really should make the most of every moment.

Ok so I've been in Japan for about 4 or 5 days. I'm living here for a year now as part of my university degree. I wasn't scared or worried before I came, just I knew that it would be difficult and tried to prepare myself.

However since it is the first time I've been to Japan and it's not like a tourist holiday, it's living here, sorting out loads of registration forms, household supplies, university etc. I'll happily admit I'm slightly overwhelmed. No amount of book learning or television documentaries prepare you for the culture shock, literally everything is different, from showers to getting on a bus. Everything has a completely different system to what I'm used to and I find myself doing things that make people laugh. Alas, I have inevitabley become "a stupid foreigner".

I've found myself wandering around going "That's so weird", "That's really funny" but then I realise, no I'm weird here, I'm the one who isn't normal. I have to intergrate into their way of working, not think "Why am I buying a lunch ticket from a vending machine to give to the lady who's stood next to the vending machine and therefore knows exactly what I want?"

With that, I'll end it for now, probably upload a photo or 2 when I can get my camera working, and study hard as communicating at the moment is not going well for me. This is one of the hardest things I've ever done.

That said, having already spent a year in Israel as a child, I can only think how lucky I am to get to experience another culture again, and that I really should make the most of every moment.

WOW, you are very brave and, by the sound of it coping a lot better than you think you are. Good luck. Relax and have a fabulous time.

Good luck tom, maybe watch tv to pick up some words or sentences as weird as it sounds, I know a friends mom who learned english that way.

and have fun :D I think the vending part would confuse any of us at first..

Everything has a completely different system to what I'm used to and I find myself doing things that make people laugh. Alas, I have inevitabley become "a stupid foreigner".

I've always heard that the Japanese people are rather xenophobic. See: http://en.wikipedia...._in_Showa_Japan and http://www.letsjapan...phobia-now.html.

The latter article includes a few indicators for modern day Japan, including several proposals on how Japan may recruit foreign workers to supplement its declining work force:

If the Health, Labor and Welfare Ministry, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, and theJapan Business Federation (Nippon Keidanren) have their way, it's possible you'll see this help-wanted ad in your English-language newspaper:

"Seeking highly trained foreign engineers and technicians to work in Japan. Successful candidates must agree to first study Japanese intheir home country through a Japanese-government funded program and then pass a Japanese-government approved language proficiency examination to receive a work visa. Visa may lead to permanent residency, depending on job performance, language ability and personality, which will be evaluated by the Japanese government and their employer."

On the other hand, if a recent proposal put forward by Justice Minister Jinen Nagase were to become law, it's possible the ad would be written as follows:

"Seeking foreigners to work in Japan on a temporary basis (maximum three years) for all jobs and industries. All are welcome to apply, and no prior experience or ability in Japanese necessary. Successful applicants will be guaranteed a fair wage. However, visa will be good for only three years and will not be renewed under any circumstances.

The Japanese seem to be afraid of foreigners and don't want to encourage immigration. That said, there is no reason why you can't have a successful year of study there and be well rewarded for your efforts. You just have to accept that the Japanese will be wary of you. As soon as you master some of the culture and become more relaxed, you will probably find more acceptance.

It's not unusual for Americans to stare at people who seem "strange". I found myself doing that a few days ago when I crossed paths in a parking lot with a man who was walking along talking to himself. I don't know why such a thing still prompts that response in me. It's not unusual to me since both of my parents suffered from dementia in their last years.

I can only suggest you work to get comfortable with the Japanese way; they will then no longer see you as stupid. Have a great year in your studies. Relax and have fun.

Edited by MikeL

MikeL's comments not-withstanding, my personal experiance is quite the opposite. I found the people in Japan to be quite kind, helpful, and a joy to be around... when we could talk :D

Of course, I was only 11-13 years old at the time, that probably helped 'shape' my opinion on matters a bit :D

Thankfully... The Canadian system is so smooth, apart from my wtf moment that I cannot turn on red at any intersection on the island of Montreal and that the shops still close precisely at 5pm on weekends. That blows. I cannot even count the times that people mistook me as a French Canadian (by Anglo-Canadians and French Canadians) or as some anglo from Ontario (by some French Canadians who heard my anglo accent upon meeting). Not many people correctly guessed I'm born and raised American. Apparently most Anglos explained I look so French... but they can't explain why. Usually I'm flattered or sometimes surprised when they mistake me like this.

You'll get used to Japan. Give it a few months and you'll get the whole system.

Good luck with your continued adjustment. :) I know I would be lost in Japan with out a team of translators and tour guides.. lol.

Have fun as well. :)

MMMMMM, lucky boy! I'm of the opinion that the Japanese are one of the most beautiful people on the face of the earth. I've had two ex-boyfriends from Japan. Hehe, I'd be like a kid in a candy store 0:)

That said, I'm sure it is quite a culture shock. I bet it's an awesome learning experience for you though. Besides, you get to be the adorable, exotic looking foreigner now :boy::P

Anyway, I think it's really cool and I wish you the absolute best of luck with it! Keep us posted on how it goes! :great:

-Kevin

I would have to disagree with MikeL. When I went to Japan for school I found that they were extremely nice and friendly. Everyone was most helpful even when I didn't know what I was doing. At first I thought it might be a regional thing, we were presenting some work to a school in a fairly rural area (Yatsushiro), but even when we got to Tokyo everyone was very pleasant. I think it will just take some time to acclimate to your new surroundings and cultural differences. Speaking of which, have you been to any of the hot springs yet? One of the greatest parts of the trip, worth a visit.

• 4 weeks later...

Someone said would i be sharing the tales of me being a big failure in japan, somewhere so i thought, well...do i really want to post my youtube...but why not i spose.

I am so not good at this country sceptic.gif

I'm starting to be able to speak japanese to people a bit more after the first few weeks of replying with "eh?" so that's a bonus. And I'm off to Tokyo Game Show to be a big geek later biggrin.gif

If anyone wants to subscribe to my youtube, that'd be cool since it looks like I'm really uncool at the moment (I am really uncool but I don't want youtube to think that of me...)

Edited by tomon

Someone said would i be sharing the tales of me being a big failure in japan, somewhere so i thought, well...do i really want to post my youtube...but why not i spose.

I am so not good at this country sceptic.gif

I'm starting to be able to speak japanese to people a bit more after the first few weeks of replying with "eh?" so that's a bonus. And I'm off to Tokyo Game Show to be a big geek later biggrin.gif

If anyone wants to subscribe to my youtube, that'd be cool since it looks like I'm really uncool at the moment (I am really uncool but I don't want youtube to think that of me...)

I think you'll have a lot of unforgettable experience! :D

ehm... Can I have a small request? ;) Your video is interesting but for a non-English native speaker it's a little bit hard to understand. Could you more articulate next time? ;) Don't be shy and open your mouth when you're talking! :D

Very entertaining, did you ever get the hang of the showers? The big bath is for after the shower. You're supposed to soak and relax in it, not bathe in it. I made that mistake when I was there, not fun.

Edited by sphen_dehan