• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey TZ

Just when I think that you've hit you peak, you go another step higher.

Chapter nine was fantastic!! Then judging from past efforts this really

shouldn't be any surprise. There are lot's of good stories on this site

and across the net, but this is best story I've read in a long time.

Thank's

Rob :boy:

I have to second robbie. When I think I've figured it out, you take the story to another and mostly better level.

Really great chapter that, as always, leaves me craving for more.

Regards,

Daniel

Edited by TheDaniel

You're the Man, Dan!

Congratulations! WOW! (there's that word again!)

Shared member Hosting! Looks good on ya! A shared website on GA!

:worship::worship::worship:

Hugs,

Conner :boy:

P.S. So, I guess you'll be getting a secretary to answer all the fan mail. I can see you blushing right now! :D

P.S. So, I guess you'll be getting a secretary to answer all the fan mail. I can see you blushing right now! :D

I volunteer, as long as I get dental. I'm good at dropping my pen and waggling my ass too.

db :wub:

[so, I guess you'll be getting a secretary to answer all the fan mail. I can see you blushing right now! :D

I see Dio's already volunteereed, near-jailbait though he may be. Luckily I'm not much in need of someone to handle the correspondence. It's been pretty light, which is fine with me. There are days when my ego already manages to generate it's own gravitational field -- I'm not sure I need any more encouragement in that direction. :)

Au contraire, mon copain (Quite the contrary there, buddy), Justin is sweet and loveable. I appreciate that you are the author here and your views should be given more weight, :P but I think he's sweet and loveable. I believe that I have Rob's support and his mom's too. You need only look at his actions, especially his actions towards Rob e.g. burying Rob's dog with him and showing up at Rob's place to model for him so Rob wouldn't flunk his course. Those were sweet and loving actions. To put it another way, if you prefer, those actions showed strength of character and caring for another human being.

My comment that Justin was being a hardass was, I admit, equivocal. I meant it only in terms of the conditions he placed on Rob for beginning a relationship. Those are Justin's terms and I will not decry him for it. (See, I can be magnaminous :lmao: ). In my heart of hearts, though, I was disappointed and saddened...for both of them. :( That was mainly because I was still teary over Rob saying, "I can change if you want. Be someone better." I don't care how corny or lame that line was, it touched my heart.

However, you can make things better for me. :D How about revising the intro to the story to read, "as it turns out, this is a story about fear, cowardice and redemption." :music:

Hugs,

Conner :boy:

Where you see honor, I see poor social skills yet again. To be honest, I found Justin's whole "If Rob wants to go out with me, he should ask" routine to be real game playing.

Justin KNOWS that Bobby likes him and Bobby KNOWS that Justin knows. Justin has never tipped Bobby off to whether he would like him in a romantic way or be willing to go out with him - to be honest, this isn't something the reader really knows the answer to. So forcing Bobby to ask HIM out rather than the other way around seems to be dumping a lot of risk of rejection on Bobby, a risk that is assymetric (because if Justin asked, Bobby would say yes).

And then, on top of that, Justin expects Bobby to be fully out as a condition of dating - even though Bobby has no reason to think or believe that Justin necessary likes him in that way. For all Bobby knows, he could ask Justin out on a date and then come out to the world, only to discover that Justin really doesn't care about him 'like that' anyway.

I can appreciate your explanation about Justin's 'sense of honor,' but the way I see it, it would make a lot more sense for Justin to do the asking and to explain along with his asking the full terms of his deal.

There is definitely some assymmetry there, in more ways than one. Rob wants to date Justin. Justin, on the other hand, doesn't really care if he dates Rob. (This was something I thought I'd made at least somewhat clear, but I may well not have. Bad author, no cookie for me!) Justin's not playing any sort of game here -- he's just laying his cards on the table and leaving it to Rob to make the decision. If Rob cares enough they'll date and see how things go. Justin's been clear about his limitations, and knows he won't do anything to deliberately hurt Rob.

Of course, having said that, it doesn't mean he won't. That's something he's been doing with some regularity throughout the story. Unintentional or not, he's made Rob's life pretty miserable, something he's just starting to realize. Rob's faciliated that misery, certainly, but Justin's done a lot of damage throughout the course of the story so far. (I've gotta admit, when I started this I never thought I'd be feeling sorry for Rob)

So, yeah, Justin's been acting in what he sees as a straightforward and honorable way. And yeah, from the outside he definitely looks like he's playing games and is yanking Rob around. And yeah, I'm glad someone called me on it, since I hadn't thought about it clearly until now, and there definitely needs to be some repercussions because of it.

Yankee will finish, don't worry about that. (OK, I can't guarantee I won't get hit by a bus, but then who can?) Past that I've certainly got more stories roughed out than I'll ever have time to finish, or so it seems, but I do plan to keep on writing, time permitting.

-Dan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Aw, Hell yeah! Chapter 12 is up! <does happy dance> Going to read it now. 'Cause this story? Number one with a bullet. (That's a Top 40 chart reference for all of you raised in the age of instant music availability, via P2P. Time was, people waited a week to listen to see if our favorite songs were moving up and down the charts.)

Andy aka "Grandpa"