Message Board Topic 3/1

If someone sends you their story to read, it's because they're looking for an honest opinion from someone who is reading it from a different perspective. They're looking to see if it's enjoyable or not.

Now, they say there's a fine line between constructive and destructive criticism...but there really isn't. In fact, I'd think the gap is pretty darn WIDE between the two! Hehehe! You may have an overly abrasive critic, or an overly sensitive writer...or both. But criticisms, with the right intention and wording, can truly make a good writer GREAT! And a great writer, PHENOMENAL!

When faced with the task of having to tell someone what they could fix to make it better...what criticisms do you think would truly be helpful to another author? What would be helpful to you? Exactly how does one go about 'coaching' someone else, and bringing the absolute BEST out of their writing every time? Let us know what you think? And also...let us know what criticisms you would try to AVOID!

• Site Administrator

I believe that if I say something is wrong or bad, I should offer suggestions on something that would be better. For example, if I'm commenting on wording, I'll explain why and suggest alternatives. If I'm commenting on a plot flaw, I'll try to suggest workarounds.

I don't often comment on other people's stories, and I warn them ahead of time that I'm not gentle when I do so. But if I'm going to criticise something, I feel I need to explain why and, where possible, show examples of how something could be better.

On the flip side, I expect similarly harsh treatment if I send something to someone for comment. I want any potential flaws to be pointed out, because I feel it makes a story stronger if they are eliminated. If something doesn't seem logical, or if I've missed something that should be happening, and it didn't, then I'd like to know about it. The most common problem I have from this perspective is concentrating so much on the key characters in a scene that I ignore the other characters who are there. I still remember a scene when I had two characters involved in a dispute, and someone pointed out to me that the other characters there should have reacted -- I hadn't shown that. Because of that feedback, the other characters present DID get involved, and I think the scene is a lot stronger as a consequence.

I like having criticism but hate giving it. What does that say about me... moral coward :P

When I edit if I see that the writer makes the same mistake repeatedly I try, rather than to just change the word, explain the rule.... although I don't know all the correct terms and such so I do it my way :)

With regard to grammar I think it's pretty obvious what criticisms are, or shoud be valuable, especially if you are making the same mistake over and over. You learn the rule the mistakes go away.

It's harder if the wording is wrong because then you have to resist the temptation to just change it. If you do change it then that part of the story is yours and not the author's any more... so I try and point out that the wording doesn't sound right and make some suggestions but leave it to the writer to decide what to do. Sometimes I just say ' this doesn't scan well... read it through and see what you can do to make it better'.

As for plot flaws and character developments etc I point them out where I see them but I have to admit I'm a pretty crap beta reader becasuse I get engrossed in the story and unless a flaw is glaring I am likely to miss it.

I am also the world's worst Pollyanna in that I always look for the good and not the bad in the story and I pretty much always find it.

As far as my own work is concerned I think the most constructive criticisms for me are.

1. pointing out grammatical errors

2. Letting me know when my sentences need leashes again. I try but they still quite often run away with me.

3. Pointing out timeline errors which is something I have a tendency to do

4. I tend to write more than one story at a time and therefore get tenses etc confused sometimes so pointing that out is very useful

5. I fall in love with my characters every time and fall prey to over flowery prose and fail to see character flaws... also I have my characters speak with my own voice sometimes.

If anyone sees any of these or anything else that I am doing wrong... like getting medical stuff wrong etc then please please tell me. My favourite reviewers are the ones who give me something to think about... althogh OF COURSE I love the ones who simply tell me how great the story is becuase I think anyone who says different would be an absolute liar.

If someone sends you their story to read, it's because they're looking for an honest opinion from someone who is reading it from a different perspective.

Many times they are looking for something else. Some are looking to have their ego stroked. I don't do that for free. It'll cost them fifty bucks like everybody else. :lmao:

Others are looking for validation. They want to hear some variation of yes grasshopper. You belong to the tribe. I don't do that either as I don't belong to any tribe.

Still others are looking for a magic editor to wave a hand and make everything broken about their story all right. Sorry- no magic here.

Guest zomgZACH

I think that you need to be critical but constructive

I mean, if you say 'THIS IS WRONG' but don't tell them why, how are they gonna know what to do so they don't do it again?

I think the whole point of having criticisms is for people to learn

• 1 month later...

I think every situation is a little different, and there often needs to be some kind of understanding at the outset about what is in or out of bounds.

Much also depends on the skill and experience of the writer -- in other words, a beginning writer may have trouble grasping more sophisticated commentary.

But here are some of the things I look for, and would comment on, in a story:

1. Do I understand what's going on? Is there anything that is confusing or inconsistent?

2. Has the author established a setting? In other words, are things grounded in some concrete time and place?

3. Are the characters believable? Engaging? Interesting to read about?

4. Do I care about what's happening in the story?

5. Am I experiencing the emotions of the lead character along with him (or her)? Or is the story more like a news report, where things just happen?

6. Are there obvious problems with grammar, structure, word usage, etc.? Any sentences with missing words?

7. Does the story jump around in point-of-view (something I dislike)? Do we inexplicably look into the heads of every character?

8. Does the story unfold plausibly? Are later events properly set up earlier in the story, through foreshadowing or the like? Are there unexplained gaps, or places where things happen inexplicably?

9. Does the story progress by means of actions and interactions of characters, rather than great amounts of exposition and explanation? In other words, is there a sufficient amount of "showing" rather than "telling"?

10. On the flip side, is there judicious use of summary and time jumps to move the story along from significant scene to significant scene, rather than including tedious moment-by-moment details of inconsequential activity between the key scenes?

11. Do the scenes include elements of activity (characters doing things) and setting (details of the location, atmosphere, sounds, smells, etc.), rather than just un-grounded dialogue between talking heads? Do the actions themselves help to convey the story?

12. Is there adequate and plausible use of subtext?

13. Does each scene carry its weight, in terms of moving the story forward or providing important elements of characterization?

14. Are there places where the author seems to be short-circuiting what seem like huge opportunities to take something further, in more emotional depth or dramatic payoff? Are there places where the author seems to be chickening out from taking the path of danger and adventure, or innovation, and settling for an excessively safe (and probably hackneyed) choice?

A

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..