When The Cat's Away by Sabat

• Site Administrator

My first reaction when I got to the end was 'ouch!'. Unfortunately, it's not that uncommon an occurrence, and that's not a comment on gay relationships -- cheating is too common in straight relationships, too.

I felt very sorry for the narrator and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out in the end.

Thanks for the comments. I actually struggled with the ending and went through several drafts as I tried to work out how to 'end' the story, even now I'm not 100% happy with it but I could quite easily have spent forever tinkering with it.

Very nice story indeed. I actually read it this morning but didn't have a chance to review becuase by the time I finished I was late for work. :)

THe story fowed really nicely and it was amusing but a little tense all the way through. i have to admit that knowing he had a boyfriend made it a little difficult at first to like the narrator but by the end I was rooting for him and I was actually glad that Alan was cheating because now perhaps he will get out there and get someone who deserves him. I wonder if Dan knew.

• 2 weeks later...

A nice balance of dialogue and exposition, action and contemplation, that covered a wide range of relationships: actual and possible. The setting was familiar, and made it easy to visualize the characters and their actions. And remember the time...okay, times...I've retreated to a cubicle in a restroom to "get my stuff together"; and to think about connectedness...and loneliness.