Nifty Search Function

There used to be a search window on Nifty to locate stories i think on the bunkhouse mirror. I do not see it now. Any ideas on how to locate stories without this ?

The simplest way I've found is to use google. Go to google.com and in the search field put

site:nifty.org "put whatever you want to find here"

example:

site:nifty.org "chronicles of an academic predator"

or

site:nifty.org "new kid in school"

Protip: this works on any website that's crawled by google.

• Like 2

The simplest way I've found is to use google. Go to google.com and in the search field put

site:nifty.org "put whatever you want to find here"

example:

site:nifty.org "chronicles of an academic predator"

or

site:nifty.org "new kid in school"

Protip: this works on any website that's crawled by google.

Great suggestion - didn't know you could do that. :great: I think I should take a look at Google 'Help"

Edited by Eddy

Thanks bro! I actually found a story that i have been hunting for over two years using your suggestion. Awsome thanks again

• 5 months later...

Search & navigation on nifty is very poor

no story overviews, no indication if a story is complete

i would actually say that its broken & almost unusable

I'm sorry, but this is just about laughable.

As a writers/readers resource to post for exposure large number of stories, or to simply continually find new and interesting stories, it's just about perfect. It's not meant to compete with e-fiction, hence why it doesn't have all the extra features.

Now, the prolific author's section could use more work, but honestly a little effort from the writers can improve that situation a lot (i. e. maintain lists internal to your own story about your other stories).

I'm sorry, but this is just about laughable.

As a writers/readers resource to post for exposure large number of stories, or to simply continually find new and interesting stories, it's just about perfect. It's not meant to compete with e-fiction, hence why it doesn't have all the extra features.

Now, the prolific author's section could use more work, but honestly a little effort from the writers can improve that situation a lot (i. e. maintain lists internal to your own story about your other stories).

from a readers point of view:

there is almost zero navigation, just directory listings of file/folder names > this gives you no information about the story

even when you go into a story folder/directory, theres still no info about the story, not even an author name

the authors listing has no information about the types of stories they write

theres no indication if a story is finished or not

And your point is....?

Those aren't part of what it's meant for. It's a random gamble every time you open a file. You're exposed to a wide variety of random stories, ranging from the 'bodice-ripper plus' pure sex stories to deep, thoughtful, meaningful novels, to anything in between.

• Site Administrator

The main reason I created the story archive here was to link to good stories on Nifty. There are also handy "best of nifty' features on other sites...

• 2 months later...

THe best way to find a storie on nifty is just rember what area of nifty its in like young friends or inesct or fasnticy and so on but also once you have found it just book mark the page so u cant go back to it when ever you want to read it hope that makes sence

• 3 months later...