[Adam Phillips] Crosscurrents

Chapter 12 of Crosscurrents has been posted.

In this chapter, Andy and Matt entrench themselves in the upper echelon of the freshman class, and set off on what looks like a Golden Adventure through adolescence.

There's an asterisk to all that for Andy, though, as the chapter's final scene suggests.

They had board shorts circa 1994? I always thought board shorts weren't in until later that decade. Hmm. Things you learn...

Anyways, good chapter. Powerful speech by Matt. I remember the drama that surrounded student elections every year, because it was always the same popular fake-nice girl who got elected every year, and her opposition always gave a speech bitching about it. In the end, though, we were the class that had the highest fundraising total fotal, so the girl did something right.

I'm kinda glad I didn't go to an affluent school, though. Where I went was strictly blue-collar and middle class, though there were some upper-class kids. I never really had to deal with kids making fun of my clothes, which probably would have happened if I had gone to school at St. Mark's or Sallies.

They had board shorts circa 1994? I always thought board shorts weren't in until later that decade. Hmm. Things you learn...

Yeah. And you clearly have more to learn than you have a clue about. devilsmiley.gif

In this case, as a person who fancies himself educated in American pop culture, you ought to know that board shorts have been around for around 45 years. Here's a little additional education on the matter for your ignorant ass. biggrin.gif It'll even tell ya where they came from and why they're called that:

"What is the Origin of Board Shorts?"

Wikipedia--admittedly not always the most authoritative source--provides this little extra bit of data:

"Boardshorts are longer than normal shorts for one major reason: Surfboards are covered with a layer of sticky wax; this allows the surfer to stand on the board without slipping off. However, this wax can rip leg hair off the surfer when he is sitting on the board waiting for waves. A long boardshort covers the back of the leg when sitting on the board, preventing the wax from ripping at the leg hair."

Don't know if it's true, but it's an interesting thought. cool.gif

Why are you so mean to me, Adam? *cries, turns, and runs away ala Laura Ingalls*

Version 1:

Mean? That wasn't mean; that was covering over a little gap in your pop-culture education. I don't understand why you're not grateful.

Version 2:

Because, you snot-nosed little puke, your post was calculated to cause me some embarrassment. You thought you'd caught me in a mistake, and you thought you were rubbing my nose in it. You deserved what you got.

Take your pick. laugh.gif

Adam, I wasn't trying to catch you in a mistake. I figure if anyone would be intimately acquainted with what teenage boys who lived at the beach were wearing in 1994, it would be you. I was just merely expressing surprise, because in my neck of the woods, people didn't get around to wearing board shorts until about 1998/1999. It's always interesting to me where trends originate, and how they disseminate.

That was Ed's first post! You got his cherry Adam! And Jeremy drilled it out of him, so to speak. tongue.gif

Dream on.wacko.gif

Actually, I wish my first *observation* had been that in this chapter (and I didn't notice it before), I caught a whiff of 'A Separate Peace', the tone you started off wanting. I don't know if you still want that, but I did like it.

Ed

Dream on.wacko.gif

Actually, I wish my first *observation* had been that in this chapter (and I didn't notice it before), I caught a whiff of 'A Separate Peace', the tone you started off wanting. I don't know if you still want that, but I did like it.

Ed

Thanks. I'm not trying for an hommage, or even a cop, but it's in the general mix of influences.

Adam, I wasn't trying to catch you in a mistake. I figure if anyone would be intimately acquainted with what teenage boys who lived at the beach were wearing in 1994, it would be you. I was just merely expressing surprise, because in my neck of the woods, people didn't get around to wearing board shorts until about 1998/1999. It's always interesting to me where trends originate, and how they disseminate.

Then feel free to accept Version1 above, and understand that I wasn't being mean. I was being generous. cool.gif

Then feel free to accept Version1 above, and understand that I wasn't being mean. I was being generous. cool.gif

I pretty much knew that. I wasn't serious at all. I decided I wanted to imitate a character from Little House on the Prairie.

Man, Adam, you just brought back some memories...the drama of the high school lunchroom.

I remember it was a few weeks into freshmen year of high school. There was this group of kids who were the most popular 11th graders- they were made up of mostly straight-edge punk rocker artists anchored by the guys who were considered the cutest in the school. The leader was Dan Kafader, who was really, really cute. I, being eager to get in with the popular edgy artist crowd despite being not being an artist, sat with them for a few days straight at this grassy knoll that they sat at. I was pretty annoying, that annoying freshmen trying to fit in with the upperclassmen. So one day, Dan August, who was one of the henchman, stopped me while I was working towards them andyelled, "Don't sit with me and my friends!" I was pissed, so I tried to kick him in the balls. He ducked it, and pushed me down on the ground in front of that whole group. Man. It was so embarrassing. For two years I got teased by the popular artist "in-crowd". I was happy when the class of '03 graduated, let me tell you.

Rest of high school, I just sorta floated around and ate lunch with different groups, settling down by senior year eating lunch in my math teacher's room with other kids who weren't really down with lunch table antics. It was nice- we sat around and played on the computers, talked about life while being far away from the hustle and bustle of the cafe, and we played Dance Dance Revolution on the television in the room. Nice stuff.

Chapter 14 of Crosscurrents has been posted.

In this chapter, Andy's feeling the love...coming at him from a couple of places, and going out from him in a couple of different directions.

More than a couple of directions though. There is love from Angie and Matt most obviously, but there is also the love from brother Dan. This is one lucky dude to be so showered with an abundance of love. :king:

Bob

Edited by Bob1010

More than a couple of directions though. There is love from Angie and Matt most obviously, but there is also the love from brother Dan. This is one lucky dude to be so showered with an abundance of love. :king:

Bob

Don't think for a minute he doesn't know that. :boy:

Bob

Adam ,

I love Angie ,what a strong,confident ,loving character.She knows what she wants ,she seems to be have been waiting ages for Andy to pluck up the courage to ask her out, Matt had to give Andy the kick up the backside to make the date.

Go girl

I wonder how she will deal with Andy's last sentence in this chapter ,that she almost completes him.

Really looking forward to the next chapter

Barbara.

Adam ,

I love Angie ,what a strong,confident ,loving character.She knows what she wants ,she seems to be have been waiting ages for Andy to pluck up the courage to ask her out, Matt had to give Andy the kick up the backside to make the date.

Go girl

I wonder how she will deal with Andy's last sentence in this chapter ,that she almost completes him.

Really looking forward to the next chapter

Barbara.

Thanks, Barbara. We're rapidly moving toward events in the narrative that will be central to the entire story. And although it's been lurking in the background before, that "almost" is going to break loose in ways that change everything for many of the characters in the story.

Thanks, Barbara. We're rapidly moving toward events in the narrative that will be central to the entire story. And although it's been lurking in the background before, that "almost" is going to break loose in ways that change everything for many of the characters in the story.

Great chapter..., and I agree with Barbara. Angie is a lovely, strong girl/woman, who knows what she wants and isn't the least bit apologetic about it!!

I have to say I'm glad I started re-reading... even though I plan on re-reading it again before the first new chapter comes around... the slow build-up is killing me though. As if there weren't enough tension and angst already.