Open Club  ·  283 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

MIllennium

Can he become a marine biologist? That would be cool- there's never been a scientist in this family, plus Will does love the ocean. And you've written already that Will has a scientific mind. Plus if Will's a marine biologist, one of his first post-college assignments could be protecting marine wildlife during the Gulf Coast oil disaster in 2010. And he could do a summer 2006 college internship trying to help bayou wildlife in post-Hurricane Katrina.

Matt's already likely going to follow Brad's footsteps and become a venture capitalist, so it'd be cool if Will did something else.

Edited by methodwriter85

I am right there with centexhairysub on Brad. He has the maturity of a 15 year old. Claire is more qualified to be the head of the family when JP passes.

And I see Will at UCSD or USC in Marine Biology, two of the finest schools.

And you can't make any conclusions about Will at this point given that he is 13. I think he has been a sweet kid so far and I don't see the bad attributes of Brad in him at all.

And finally, I love that I got negged for pointing out that the Bush Administration happily employed openly gay people.

• Like 2

What I like about Will is that he doesn't come off as a control freak like Brad. He's also not trying to be the crown Prince for his generation, and I like that there's a much more egalitarian feel with the kids here as opposed to Be Rad. Everyone pretty much has their own thing and no one is clearly the dominant leader. I like that a lot. We don't need a replay of Brad and Billy jockeying for top dog with Gen 4.

What I like about Will is that he doesn't come off as a control freak like Brad. He's also not trying to be the crown Prince for his generation, and I like that there's a much more egalitarian feel with the kids here as opposed to Be Rad. Everyone pretty much has their own thing and no one is clearly the dominant leader. I like that a lot. We don't need a replay of Brad and Billy jockeying for top dog with Gen 4.

I agree, it seems to me that Will is much more his own person and isn't as worried about what other people think about him. He is trying to come to terms with his own life and trying to find out what life has in store for him. Will can come of age and be anything he wants, I do like the idea of him being a marine biologist too...

I have actually read both " The Land Whore " and " Be Rad " today trying to find any indication on who besides JP would have any of the stock in Crampton Construction, still can't find anything, howver I don't see any example of a power struggle between Brad and Billy. Billy was too young and really to immature to seriously challenge Brad or Ace or even Claire. Billy seemed to be more angry at being in Brad and Ace's shadow rather than really wanting to challenge them, or that is how it came off to me. When all the problems started in " Be Rad " it seems to be more Billy striking back for being ignored than anything else. He seemed to be the forgotten child. It was like when Brad and Ace and friends were going out, you could tell he wanted to go but just didn't feel he could ask. Billy always seemed to be in the shadows, maybe part of this was because Sam was the parent he bonded and identifyed with and Sam was on his way out in this story.

I agree there doesn't seem to be an obvious heir apparent in this generation but some of them aren't even in high school yet, so maybe we should have patients and give Mark time to develop their storylines fully before we make any determinations.

Keep up the great work Mark....

• Like 1

I guess you're right about that. I think I'm just saying there's no toxic sibling rivalry between JJ and Will like there was with Brad and Billy, and I like that a lot. Some thoughts on why this gen seems so much more laidback...

1. They go to Malibu instead of Gunn High School 1980 or the University School 1998, which seems a little less status-conscious. I was watching videos of the high school and nearly every guy was dressed in a pair of jeans and a hoodie. At the high graduation video, I counted at least five or seven guys wearing flip-flops and cargo shorts. It seemed like with Gunn High, you had to be dressed to the nines- and that sort of competition seemed to be every aspect of that school.

2. Will doesn't have an Ace egging him on to be Social King at the school. Darius might have done that, but because he's four grades ahead, it never happened. So therefore Will isn't worried about maintaining top social hierarchy like Brad was as a teenager. Which I like- I like the idea of Will being a guy who marches to the beat of his own drummer instead of needing to be Social King like Brad and even Matt Carrswold did.

3. Both Will and JJ have something they're working towards- they're not restless or aimless, and they have a focus. Billy's restlessness and lack of identity likely fueled a lot of the tension between the two.

4. Will's benefitting from a secure childhood- he doesn't have the insecurities and demons that plagued Brad.

5. Marie and John go to a different school, so there really can't be some designated "leader" of this cohort because they're spread out.

6. Three of them are the same age and one is just a year behind, so there's no "older" kid leading.

I'm sure there's lots more, but the gist is...I love that this generation of kids is going to be completely different from the Be Rad crew. I loved Be Rad, but I don't want a Be Rad 2. And from the looks of things, we're going to get something new and fresh, which will be great.

• Like 1

I agree, it seems to me that Will is much more his own person and isn't as worried about what other people think about him. He is trying to come to terms with his own life and trying to find out what life has in store for him. Will can come of age and be anything he wants, I do like the idea of him being a marine biologist too...

I have actually read both " The Land Whore " and " Be Rad " today trying to find any indication on who besides JP would have any of the stock in Crampton Construction, still can't find anything, howver I don't see any example of a power struggle between Brad and Billy. Billy was too young and really to immature to seriously challenge Brad or Ace or even Claire. Billy seemed to be more angry at being in Brad and Ace's shadow rather than really wanting to challenge them, or that is how it came off to me. When all the problems started in " Be Rad " it seems to be more Billy striking back for being ignored than anything else. He seemed to be the forgotten child. It was like when Brad and Ace and friends were going out, you could tell he wanted to go but just didn't feel he could ask. Billy always seemed to be in the shadows, maybe part of this was because Sam was the parent he bonded and identifyed with and Sam was on his way out in this story.

I agree there doesn't seem to be an obvious heir apparent in this generation but some of them aren't even in high school yet, so maybe we should have patients and give Mark time to develop their storylines fully before we make any determinations.

Keep up the great work Mark....

Very insightful. I think you got the gist of it better than I did.

As far as the stock goes, I haven't made it real clear on how that ultimately was structured and who was left with what during the Land Whore buy outs. If Crampton Construction is a public company, though, and it is, that means that anyone can buy shares at any time they want. It would not be unreasonable for someone like Stef or JP to decide to add or expand their holdings if they thought the company would be a good long-term investment, especially when they plan so much urban revitalization. They would know that those building projects would ultimately spell big money for the hometown construction behemoth.

What's really stunning is that Jim and Rich don't seem to see that, or at least they didn't. They should be the guys leading the charge on re-building Claremont, since they have the most to gain, yet they aren't.

I guess you're right about that. I think I'm just saying there's no toxic sibling rivalry between JJ and Will like there was with Brad and Billy, and I like that a lot. Some thoughts on why this gen seems so much more laidback...

1. They go to Malibu instead of Gunn High School 1980 or the University School 1998, which seems a little less status-conscious. I was watching videos of the high school and nearly every guy was dressed in a pair of jeans and a hoodie. At the high graduation video, I counted at least five or seven guys wearing flip-flops and cargo shorts. It seemed like with Gunn High, you had to be dressed to the nines- and that sort of competition seemed to be every aspect of that school.

2. Will doesn't have an Ace egging him on to be Social King at the school. Darius might have done that, but because he's four grades ahead, it never happened. So therefore Will isn't worried about maintaining top social hierarchy like Brad was as a teenager. Which I like- I like the idea of Will being a guy who marches to the beat of his own drummer instead of needing to be Social King like Brad and even Matt Carrswold did.

3. Both Will and JJ have something they're working towards- they're not restless or aimless, and they have a focus. Billy's restlessness and lack of identity likely fueled a lot of the tension between the two.

4. Will's benefitting from a secure childhood- he doesn't have the insecurities and demons that plagued Brad.

5. Marie and John go to a different school, so there really can't be some designated "leader" of this cohort because they're spread out.

6. Three of them are the same age and one is just a year behind, so there's no "older" kid leading.

I'm sure there's lots more, but the gist is...I love that this generation of kids is going to be completely different from the Be Rad crew. I loved Be Rad, but I don't want a Be Rad 2. And from the looks of things, we're going to get something new and fresh, which will be great.

NIce summation! Posted Image I'm not sure that I see Brad needing to be THE social king; I think he was more interested in having and wielding power on campus to defend his interests, much as he would do in the business world. Still, I really like the way you succinctly laid your points out here. Posted Image Grad school is obviously sinking in.Posted Image

• Like 2

Can he become a marine biologist? That would be cool- there's never been a scientist in this family,...

OMG! The old discussion about Historians, Linguists and the like being scientists or not!

JP is, in my opinion, a well-known scientist: research, publications, a tenured position in a top-class university, chair of a university department; Marcel is a professor in Montreal and that means he has some research to do as well... Science is not defined by the object of research, but by the way of approaching items and trying to find out how to get to the core of things, regardless whether you deal with marine biology, wildlife, history, laws or languages!

Anyway, I agree with you that having a CAP character working on a different field of science would open new paths to the CAP-world: new topics, new problems, new interests. No doubt there, Mark will make a wonderful job as usual.

Well Chapter 58 didn't take long to post and was wonderful as always.... I really like the interplay between Brad and Will and then with all the kids at supper. It was nice to just have a family moment with no plotting or hidden agendas. I really like seeing the next generation and seeing how they are developing. I don't know that I see JJ's actions as being jealous of Gathan so much as being protective of Stef. I think that JJ seems to be the kind of person that is probably pretty secure in his position and family.

I thought that when Brad and Stef met with Jordan Pfinster and his father that Stef agreed to buy the father out? Even if the old man stayed as chairman as a courtesy without any stocks to back him up, wouldn't his power be severally limited to really effect anything? Most boards are majority votes rule and since Brad and Stef are now on the board it doesn't seem like he would have the votes to do much damage.

I really like how Robbie responded to Brad's news that he might be delayed. While I think that both Brad and Robbie have grown during this story, Robbie has matured and grown so much more than Brad to me. Brad still seems to be floundering in some ways but Robbie has really grounded himself well, maybe because he knows that he and Brad are secure and Brad is his rock in so many ways...

Keep up the great work Mark, I just love how this story is going....

I thought that when Brad and Stef met with Jordan Pfinster and his father that Stef agreed to buy the father out? Even if the old man stayed as chairman as a courtesy without any stocks to back him up, wouldn't his power be severally limited to really effect anything? Most boards are majority votes rule and since Brad and Stef are now on the board it doesn't seem like he would have the votes to do much damage.

In most corporations, once a board is elected in the shareholders meeting, every board member's vote has equal weightage. Though of course, in reality, when a boardmember owns 51% of the shares, other boardmembers tend to acknowledge that.

But since Jordan's father and two of his allies are on the board, they actually have quite a lot of power with 3 votes. And you can't exactly remove board members during BoD meetings - those happen in Shareholder Meetings. Which is why typically when there is an AoC (acquisition of control) or any major buyout, they'd have a shareholder meeting right away to re-elect the board.

And of course, I'm in Ontario, Canada, so the information above is based on the provincial law. Might be different for different states. :P

Edited by bryan90

In most corporations, once a board is elected in the shareholders meeting, every board member's vote has equal weightage. Though of course, in reality, when a boardmember owns 51% of the shares, other boardmembers tend to acknowledge that.

But since Jordan's father and two of his allies are on the board, they actually have quite a lot of power with 3 votes. And you can't exactly remove board members during BoD meetings - those happen in Shareholder Meetings. Which is why typically when there is an AoC (acquisition of control) or any major buyout, they'd have a shareholder meeting right away to re-elect the board.

And of course, I'm in Ontario, Canada, so the information above is based on the provincial law. Might be different for different states. :P

I thought Stef & Brad had replaced Old Man Pfister's cronies on the board?

I wonder what is motivating the Old Man to stir up trouble right now?

If I was Stef, I call a Point of Order and make the OM abide by the rules of 10 days notification to call a Board Meetin'.

I thought Stef & Brad had replaced Old Man Pfister's cronies on the board?

I wonder what is motivating the Old Man to stir up trouble right now?

If I was Stef, I call a Point of Order and make the OM abide by the rules of 10 days notification to call a Board Meetin'.

They're not worried about votes on the Board, they're frustrated because they left him in place as Chairman, and he has the right to call a meeting. Those rights vary by corporation. Hang in there..it gets clearer in the next chapters.

• Like 1

Hmmm....I wonder if Nasty Alexandra has been filling old man Phinsters ear about how Brad and Steph are going to ruin the company he worked so hard to build as a way to spy out information???? She has been know to employ moles. Why not use someone who no one would think of as aiding the competition? As a master manipulator she could have twisted his bitterness at being ousted from his own company.

As to Will's college of choice- University of Hawii-marine biology- totally major surfing in his spare time......pro surfing circuit for a couple of years after graduation....that's my vote...

I liked this exchange:

when i hang out with my straight guy bestfriend who knows about me them "exchanges" are all that happens!!!! and Repeatedly it's more of a put down in the long run, but in all honesty it's the TRUTH! hahahahah!

Anyway How many more chapters are we going? will we see the end of omega in Millenium? Will 9/11 be in this story?? (thats still a year away)

If Will hangs out with emo kids, he CAN french-kiss his friends...even openly at parties in front of squeeing girls. Emo boys were really open about kissing other guys at parties in front of people. It certainly grabbed attention, especially from the girls who thought it was hot.

Emo boys should start showing up around 2002. I know Hot Topic should already be open at this point. I'd say emo boys and hipsters are the defining personality "archtypes" of the 2000's, like the yuppie for the '80's and the alternative slacker for the '90s.

As for JJ being a dick to Gathan- this is my take. JJ is a very sweet and loving kid- IF he likes you. If JJ likes you, he LOVES you. He thinks the world of a person he likes and want to follow them around like a puppy. However, if he doesn't like you....he hates you. He'll totally ice you out and talk ad nauseum to whoever happens to be around about how much he can't stand you. There's no real middle ground with JJ...and if he doesn't like you, it takes a long time for him to get over that, if ever.

It's a good explaination as to why a guy who seems so friendly is so unpopular at school. He can't read people well enough to know when it's in his best interest to fake liking someone to maintain a decent social status.

I was exactly like this when I was JJ's age. Got puppy-dog eyes for people I liked; and totally an ass to people I didn't like. I'd say Mark based that on me, but of course Mark didn't know me at 14. LOL.

Edited by methodwriter85

If Will hangs out with emo kids, he CAN french-kiss his friends...even openly at parties in front of squeeing girls. Emo boys were really open about kissing other guys at parties in front of people. It certainly grabbed attention, especially from the girls who thought it was hot.

Emo boys should start showing up around 2002. I know Hot Topic should already be open at this point. I'd say emo boys and hipsters are the defining personality "archtypes" of the 2000's, like the yuppie for the '80's and the alternative slacker for the '90s.

As for JJ being a dick to Gathan- this is my take. JJ is a very sweet and loving kid- IF he likes you. If JJ likes you, he LOVES you. He thinks the world of a person he likes and want to follow them around like a puppy. However, if he doesn't like you....he hates you. He'll totally ice you out and talk ad nauseum to whoever happens to be around about how much he can't stand you. There's no real middle ground with JJ...and if he doesn't like you, it takes a long time for him to get over that, if ever.

It's a good explaination as to why a guy who seems so friendly is so unpopular at school. He can't read people well enough to know when it's in his best interest to fake liking someone to maintain a decent social status.

I was exactly like this when I was JJ's age. Got puppy-dog eyes for people I liked; and totally an ass to people I didn't like. I'd say Mark based that on me, but of course Mark didn't know me at 14. LOL.

I can so see Will as an emo-boy! They are not my favourite archetypes but I can just so see him as one despite him being the surfer though. He can be an emo-surfer... Or I guess I can see Zach as an emo boy too I guess..

Edited by bryan90

They're not worried about votes on the Board, they're frustrated because they left him in place as Chairman, and he has the right to call a meeting. Those rights vary by corporation. Hang in there..it gets clearer in the next chapters.

Can't wait! I am seriously new to this waiting for chapter scenario. I usually read through dozens of chapters a day... Sigh.. But I guess the wait would be worth it..

I can so see Will as an emo-boy! They are not my favourite archetypes but I can just so see him as one despite him being the surfer though. He can be an emo-surfer... Or I guess I can see Zach as an emo boy too I guess..

I can see Will as a guy who hangs out with emo kids and even shops at Hot Topic, but I don't see him fully embracing the scene. I can see Will as a guy who pretty much can hang out with anyone.

Zach's a football player...I've NEVER met a football jock who did the emo boy thing.

Will would not be an emo in Malibu.

Posted Image

Each of your stories has been a fascinating exploration of history, relationships, culture, and has offered me personal insights and challenges in the way I have seen myself or a particular historical moment. Early in this story, there were some rather intense discussions about relationships and loyalty. Personally, I am still ruminating about aspects of these discussions and have allowed them to address certain personal 'challenges' in how I see loyalty, love and forgiveness. It amazes me that a fictional story that I enjoy as a 'good read' can also have such impact and power. The conversations through this forum have also sharpened my thinking on certain issues, so continued thanks to you Mark, and the group for the often lively discussions.

In the past few weeks, I have been thinking about the interchanges and actions regarding the issue of power (Political/Family/Business Power) and how it led to events in the storyline that could lead to the death of certain character(s). As stated in this dialogue, it is not something that most of us must face in our day-to-day existance, but it is not something foreign to all. I work extensively overseas in countries often referred to as 'the developing world', and the concept, particularly with regard to government activities, that ones' actions could lead to one's own death or the death of others is not that far-fetched. In the good old U S of A, this is not accepted by polite company as a form of doing business and one sounds ilke a wild-hare conspiracy theorist to purport its occurance, but there are cases that have proven the exception to the rule. ie: remember Silkwood? (Now, don't role your eyes, it is not an attempt to just mention Cher by bringing up Silkwood!) The situation Brad/JP/Step/et all found themselves in is not outside the realm of possiblity and I have wondered about the ethics. For me, it comes down to situational verses absolute. Growing up as a religious conservative, there were absolutes. My maturation process and 'journey' has led me far from my original mindset to allow for moral relativism. It has been interesting to ponder JP's willingness to allow Brian to meet his fate. ( I do wonder if JP will really allow this to happen or if he will work behind the scenes to 'save' Brian from himself) JP was able in earlier stories to bring about death when those close to him were threatened, but can he really allow Brian to meet death by refusing to help him? What sort of impact would that have on his psychie? I can not imagine that if/when the news of Brian's demise arrives that it won't have at least some lingering negative effect on JP's/Brad's relationship. On one hand, a begrudging pride on the part of JP that Brad will do what it takes to keep the family safe, but also a resentment that a family member was 'sacrificed'. Brad is a bit....impulsive at times. I suspect that when Brian dies, it will impact him, Right now, the tough-guy I am fighting the infidel behaviour will be challenged with the news that Brad's own plotting and direct actions led to someone's death. He will get through it, but it will, I suspect, challenge aspects of his self-image and humanity much as the devastation of Robbies infidelities changed his own sense of power and propriety. From the argument of the 'Greater Good', I would find myself supporting Brad, but it would come at a cost of self-image.

As I further pondered this portion of the story, I played out the various scenarios of how our actions within family dynamics shape us as humans. The relatives we love and the relatives we no longer speak with, the events we wholeheartedly celebrate and the events we begrundingly attend. They are little 'life and death' scenarios that we play out each day. The 'Death of Brian' may be something we may never instigate or have reason to participate on such a grand near operatic scale. However, daily life and death struggles in our families and even friendships can stand to be filted through the same questions/challenges that arise from this story. H'mmm, does this make it an epic? Perhaps. Whether it is or not, I appreciate Mark, how you make a great fictional story also one that can help us review our own humanity and how we may affect family dynamics. This can not help but lead to be be better humans!

I wish Millennium would never end, but I take heart in your willingness to create more stories that will not only entertain us, but offer insights and challenges.

Thank you!

gene

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..