Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×

You Brits Called it Soccer first.

Mark Arbour

• Site Administrator

Interesting article Mark :great: . I never thought of where they got the word soccer from, but for some reason I never did believe it was just an North American term.

Now a question, what do they call the ball they play with in England and around the world. Is it a football, a footfootball, a soccer ball?

I do have to disagree with you on the pussy sport comment though, have you ever watched a slappies fest in Basketball or how a hangnail puts you out for weeks in Baseball? Heaven forbid it rains in Baseball and then everything is cancelled :D .

Where the term soccer came from.

It's a pussy sport anyway. Guys falling down and crying because they stubbed their toe. It's like kickball with acting. biggrin.gif

Them's fighting words, man. I hope Adam doesn't see this.

Edited by methodwriter85

Interesting article Mark :great: . I never thought of where they got the word soccer from, but for some reason I never did believe it was just an North American term.

Now a question, what do they call the ball they play with in England and around the world. Is it a football, a footfootball, a soccer ball?

I do have to disagree with you on the pussy sport comment though, have you ever watched a slappies fest in Basketball or how a hangnail puts you out for weeks in Baseball? Heaven forbid it rains in Baseball and then everything is cancelled :D .

I totally agree with you. Those are pussy sports too. Real men play American Football, Hockey, or Rugby.biggrin.gif

Oh please, I played basketball in high school... I was clawed, elbowed, punched, kicked, slapped, pinched.. :P I've had a bloody lip, nose, endless bruises, jammed fingers, torn ACL's.. :P Maybe the boys play all pansy, but the girls are definitely hardcore. ;)

I think there are plenty of non-contact "sports" that we can make fun of. Golf comes to mind.

i never really understood why soccer is so popular since they hardly get 1+ goals in the whole game!!!!

AFL has got to be the no-pussiest sport thats on primetime, especially if its west coast vs the swans!!!!

netbal was pretty hardcore for me, you got "accidently" punched in the face, tripped, pushed and shoved around, and it was even worse because it was played on gravel:thumbdown:

Where the term soccer came from.

It's a pussy sport anyway. Guys falling down and crying because they stubbed their toe. It's like kickball with acting. biggrin.gif

Agree its a pussy sport.... but English football traces back well into the 1500's - wildly predating the term soccer which fell out of use in the UK in the 1970's - not even a century worth of use. Mere minutes in language terms. Though, I understand that the American concept of history is... slightly confused :P LOL

I totally agree with you. Those are pussy sports too. Real men play American Football, Hockey, or Rugby.biggrin.gif

Agree with you about rugby (Or... to use the term from my schooldays "Rugger")... but... Real men play American Football....? Dressed up in all that padding, with helmets to protect their hot bodies from too much injury? Pussies :P

• Like 1

Agree with you about rugby (Or... to use the term from my schooldays "Rugger")... but... Real men play American Football....? Dressed up in all that padding, with helmets to protect their hot bodies from too much injury? Pussies :P

Soooooo true. But QB's can get seriously injured w/o, so whatcha gonna do.

Steve

but... Real men play American Football....? Dressed up in all that padding, with helmets to protect their hot bodies from too much injury? Pussies :P

All that padding doesn't prevent injury at all. And if you've ever played real football (we always said guy soccer players didn't have the balls to play real football) you come away sore and aching from all that contact.

A football :D. Or ball.

But why would people want all those injuries? I know too many people who knackered their body from their teens and young twenties from rugby, where's the fun in that?

They wear teethguards, that's about it I think.

But I do like to watch it in person occasionally. But only if I've got someone to explain it to me as it goes.

And 1 goal only if it's a boring match or a really hard one (or you're right a really boring one). They can get loads of goals :), look what happened to england versus germany :(.

Real men play water polo.

I tried playing Water Polo in high school and quit. I spent most of the time with an erection. It's kind of like underwater wrestling, only the bodies are slicker. They don't scrape together, they just slide together smoothly.

I'll have to disagree about the pussy sport - it would be one if they were actually crying, but 99% of the crying is just acted to get the referee's attention and an advantage for your team.

But it may not be as tempting to watch as water polo. I think I've just developed a new interest.....