Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation 58: The Equation of Time

Well if Trevor learn his lesson ... then he should head east as soon as possible .... now he can meet Graeme at the roadhouse for a meal.

Nice he's paralleling Australia ... really as soon as he hits east ... he's got to see a ship .... it kinda crazy not to find any one ... especially when your less that 200 miles from shore.

He still got a lot more austrailia he can land as long as he can navigate east ... I am not sure about the west side of austrailia if its cliffy and lacks a shore line

Then CJ is in trouble for sending trevor into a cliffy that every one will vote him down on.

Well if Trevor learn his lesson ... then he should head east as soon as possible .... now he can meet Graeme at the roadhouse for a meal.

Nice he's paralleling Australia ... really as soon as he hits east ... he's got to see a ship .... it kinda crazy not to find any one ... especially when your less that 200 miles from shore.

He still got a lot more austrailia he can land as long as he can navigate east ... I am not sure about the west side of austrailia if its cliffy and lacks a shore line

Then CJ is in trouble for sending trevor into a cliffy that every one will vote him down on.

Well, as big as Australia is, I should think he'd be able to run into it pretty soon...or at least encounter a ship or fishing boat. Maybe he'll end up in Perth!!! Or is he south of Perth, I don't recall exactly from the map... :wacko:

Well, as big as Australia is, I should think he'd be able to run into it pretty soon...or at least encounter a ship or fishing boat. Maybe he'll end up in Perth!!! Or is he south of Perth, I don't recall exactly from the map... :wacko:

he's 160 from austrailia and 200 miles above perth the next big town over so to speak

but he doesn't really know that ... he's realized that he's screw up his calculations by so much

so he reason to head east in a day or so - when he can make the adjustments

This chapter is a long one, so we could get to a nice safe calm point before Christmas. :)

What's this? A Goat with a heart?:wacko:

No need to worry - normal evilness continues:

"A further danger lay closer still, though Trevor was blissfully unawares; Atlantis was currently offshore of the Zuytdorp Cliffs, an incredibly hazardous stretch of coast. For over a hundred miles south of Steep Point, this inhospitable coast menaces unfortunate ships with a hostile shore: massive waves from the open sea smashing into the base of the deadly cliffs."

"Deadly cliffs".:lmao: Nice joke Goat, slipped in slyly at the end, and another deadly cliffhanger to jangle our worry beads over Christmas :(

Edited by Flipper

You know he doesn't have to make much of an adjustment ... he'll crash into the clifs ... nice bait for the sharks ... lets hope there's a ship out there that can save him.

Lets hope his mom is a fisher-mom and net her boy up ...

More water than land out there!!

Well, if he was able to head north he might run into the great barrier reef with those big white sharks and ocean going crocs... :(

Yes he'll make a nice tender meal for the eco system there ... much better than what ali did to him

but as CJ pointed out in the begining .... this is evidence of teenage out at sea - making mistakes and surviving with the other characters helping to solve this crime or mystery ... the drama we're reading

we all know its not that story theme of Trevor death that cj illustrated ... its too easy to go that direction ,,,, there must be more to the story... i guess to get our fill for good triumphs over evil most of the time

Ok, I’m going to be controversial, I consider myself intelligent, but this chapter seemed beyond me.

CJ, you know I love you, but this was way past my comprehension. Your attention to detail is amazing... BUT I understood maybe 1/3 of that chapter. The nautical terms are way out of my comfort zone & for the first time I switched off. I understand that they’re a huge part of the story, but for the layman like me, it went totally over my head.

A cliffy? From me? Never! 0:)

The shoreline of Western Australia... spectacularly rugged in places. Trevor coming ashore in the Cape Leeuwin region, for example, would have been likely a bad ending, for Atlantis at least.

The Zuytdorp Cliffs area, which Trevor is seaward of, is well named; over a hundred miles of cliffs plummeting into the sea.

zuytdorp-cliffs-2.jpg

The overwhelming majority of that area would not be a healthy place to reach shore. :)

Incidentally, the cliffs are named are the Dutch sailing ship Zuytdorp, which disappeared in 1711 after using the roaring 40's route (like Trevor) to cross the Indian Ocean, bound for Java. No one knows what happened; the wreck wasn't found until 1927!

He's off the Zuytdorp Cliffs area, which starts on the seaward side of Shark Bay and runs south for quite a ways. He's well north of Perth, though at one point his nav fix did show him in downtown Perth. :)

What's this? A Goat with a heart?:wacko:

No need to worry - normal evilness continues:

"A further danger lay closer still, though Trevor was blissfully unawares; Atlantis was currently offshore of the Zuytdorp Cliffs, an incredibly hazardous stretch of coast. For over a hundred miles south of Steep Point, this inhospitable coast menaces unfortunate ships with a hostile shore: massive waves from the open sea smashing into the base of the deadly cliffs."

"Deadly cliffs".:lmao: Nice joke Goat, slipped in slyly at the end, and another deadly cliffhanger to jangle our worry beads over Christmas :(

Flipper!! That's not a cliffy, that's just a description of the wonderfully scenic area nearby. 0:)

It's not my fault the Australians have cliffs there... 0:)

More water than land out there!!

Yep!! A lot more! And now Trevor doesn't trust his navigation. :)

Well, if he was able to head north he might run into the great barrier reef with those big white sharks and ocean going crocs... :(

No worries! The Great Barrier Reef is off Queensland, on Australia's east coast, and he's heading up the west coast. So, nothing to worry about... except that there are tons of reefs in that area too. And salty crocs... and great white sharks.. and all sorts of other sharks... and let's not forget giant poisonous lizards (the Perentie) that grow up to eight feet long. Add in all manner of deadly poisonous sea creatures, and then factor in that Australia has about ten of the world's 12 deadliest snakes, and has spiders that are the stuff of nightmares.

Here one (it's real, not a photoshop) of a giant spider eating a bird caught in it's web. That's not a small bird, either.

earth-graphics-200_1080291a.jpg

See? No worries. 0:)

Yes he'll make a nice tender meal for the eco system there ... much better than what ali did to him

but as CJ pointed out in the begining .... this is evidence of teenage out at sea - making mistakes and surviving with the other characters helping to solve this crime or mystery ... the drama we're reading

we all know its not that story theme of Trevor death that cj illustrated ... its too easy to go that direction ,,,, there must be more to the story... i guess to get our fill for good triumphs over evil most of the time

Thank you, I love this post!!

Yep, Trevor's a teenager, and will make mistakes, and hopefully learn from them. In some cases, he's making mistakes due to lack of knowledge (like not knowing of the Equation of Time) and on other cases, due to himself.

Ok, I’m going to be controversial, I consider myself intelligent, but this chapter seemed beyond me.

CJ, you know I love you, but this was way past my comprehension. Your attention to detail is amazing... BUT I understood maybe 1/3 of that chapter. The nautical terms are way out of my comfort zone & for the first time I switched off. I understand that they’re a huge part of the story, but for the layman like me, it went totally over my head.

Thank you for bringing this up! :) I was hoping someone would.

I had a hunch that the Equation of Time stuff would be confusing. I tried to keep the explanation as brief and understandable as possible, but... I should have done it better in that regard.

I had to explain it somehow, because it's a very real phenomena, and it's one he (or anyone in his situation at that time of year, anywhere in the world) would have encountered. It has a big impact on the plot, so I had to feed it in somehow.

However, the good news is that this was the last very technical thing in the story.

Was anything other than the Equation of Time stuff difficult? If so, please let me know what, so I can be more careful in future. I do have a known tendency to use specialized terminology without explanation, which I try to avoid doing, but sometimes I do it unawares and it slips through.

Thanks for bringing this up: I need to know how things are coming across, good or bad, in order to improve.

:)

Bingo that sounds like a complement!!!

Thats exactly how Trevor feels after hitting his mistakes ... and the mistakes are bound to happen especially you don't have technology with you.

He's living by the seat of his birthday suit ...

So you're not the only one that's not sea fairing yachts man.

I got the impression that Trevor was more or less drifting with a minimum amount of control toward either a nice warm sunny beach or some big old flat rugged high cliffs with huge waves smashing into them. That's what I derived from his wonderful detail of sailing a broken...basically a raft...with a torn handkerchief and a lot of guts. Yeah, a lot of what he'd described went over my head too, but I assume he knows what he's talking about and if he doesn't, well, how would I know??? Let's hope for a fishing vessel to tow him out of harm's way...and soon!!

B)..............Hummm Gonzales and Henry have a conclusion about the case, or at least having loose ends figured out, I see Gonzales stepping forward beyond the investigation, he smells a rat in this mess, will he bring in the Feds? Will Henry confirm the relationship of Bridget and George in this investigation? I still wonder if Gonzalez's life is left hanging, I said it before, I think George realizes Gonzalez is onto him, will the unknown Henry take the lead in the investigation?

I'm glad Gonzales and Joel referenced a search if the time-line was short of Trevor's supposed arrival to Australia, it gives Trevor more help!

How interesting that Trevor has his set on sights on Shark Bay, a place not far from his mom's hometown, will his mother be his rescuer? The problem I see now, Trevor once rescued, he will be able to contact Joel and Lisa but not his father and Jim. Will his mother warn him? Will Lisa accidentally spill the info on Trevor to Bridget? Or will Gonzales interfere, and for once, stop being so obstinate, and tell her his suspicions of Bridget. Or will Frank step into the fray? That sounds more likely as he has no constraints on information being told, nor his suspicions of the facts. In fact I see Frank as being the catalyst in the investigation from here on out.

:boy:..............Great chapter CJ, you wily goat, throwing in the cliffs at the end of the chapter!!! :D

Trevor does have a breaking point in him ... if he misses shark bay and sails back into the Indian ocean ... facing his death ... seeing his food disappear ... he'll go mad since this would be his 3rd biggest mistake in his life.

right now he's starting to freaking out ... lets hope he doesn't make a mistake assembling his replacement sail ... if he falls over board or breaks something where he has no control of where the boat goes

maybe CJ wants to show us ... gay boys have nine lives ... hey CJ you should have name him MORRIS

if he does get rescued I want to see the straight guy he hugs naked ... doesn't it make you wonder who will be sprouting a hot dog of excitement for being rescued.

or if its a gay guy who give's him mouth to mouth ... would the sight of a naked guy ... have a temporary relapse on where to give mouth to mouth??

- - - -

hey Gonzales didn't scream about Trevor running ... he only making a curiosity check ... looks like maybe something going to be revealed or take place ... Benji put out some good point of what fact will happen before what ... the worst is if the bad guys find out trevor is alive ... I wonder if Trevor realizes Ali was sent to murder him.

Imagine Trevor hiding out naked with the Aborigines ... hiding out from sanchez ... I would wonder who would be admiring who for the nakedness

I say its not everyday an Aborigines sees a naked hairless white guy ... i look forward Trevor running into a gay one ... love at first buff sight

I'm actually surprise there be discovery of anything by the PI ... I expecting things to be harder to discover and pay offs would be coming before something was found out. I think its more important to observe where george or bridget goes during the day or night ... that would help the case into bring more suspicion back to bad guys

- - -

sharkbay ship Zuytdorp ... I am surprise they were able to find a wooden ship in those waters

zuytdorp%20route%20map2.jpg

Stromatolites of Shark Bay

will trevor rub his belly there with the sharks

Hey maybe Fa and Bea will save trevor!!!

Trevor does have a breaking point in him ... if he misses shark bay and sails back into the Indian ocean ... facing his death ... seeing his food disappear ... he'll go mad since this would be his 3rd biggest mistake in his life.

right now he's starting to freaking out ... lets hope he doesn't make a mistake assembling his replacement sail ... if he falls over board or breaks something where he has no control of where the boat goes

maybe CJ wants to show us ... gay boys have nine lives ... hey CJ you should have name him MORRIS

if he does get rescued I want to see the straight guy he hugs naked ... doesn't it make you wonder who will be sprouting a hot dog of excitement for being rescued.

or if its a gay guy who give's him mouth to mouth ... would the sight of a naked guy ... have a temporary relapse on where to give mouth to mouth??

- - - -

hey Gonzales didn't scream about Trevor running ... he only making a curiosity check ... looks like maybe something going to be revealed or take place ... Benji put out some good point of what fact will happen before what ... the worst is if the bad guys find out trevor is alive ... I wonder if Trevor realizes Ali was sent to murder him.

Imagine Trevor hiding out naked with the Aborigines ... hiding out from sanchez ... I would wonder who would be admiring who for the nakedness

I say its not everyday an Aborigines sees a naked hairless white guy ... i look forward Trevor running into a gay one ... love at first buff sight

I'm actually surprise there be discovery of anything by the PI ... I expecting things to be harder to discover and pay offs would be coming before something was found out. I think its more important to observe where george or bridget goes during the day or night ... that would help the case into bring more suspicion back to bad guys

- - -

sharkbay ship Zuytdorp ... I am surprise they were able to find a wooden ship in those waters

will trevor rub his belly there with the sharks

Hey maybe Fa and Bea will save trevor!!!

Maybe Trevor's Christmas present will be a hunky fisherman...with a big ole boat!!!! :wub:

I got the impression that Trevor was more or less drifting with a minimum amount of control toward either a nice warm sunny beach or some big old flat rugged high cliffs with huge waves smashing into them. That's what I derived from his wonderful detail of sailing a broken...basically a raft...with a torn handkerchief and a lot of guts. Yeah, a lot of what he'd described went over my head too, but I assume he knows what he's talking about and if he doesn't, well, how would I know??? Let's hope for a fishing vessel to tow him out of harm's way...and soon!!

Atlantis is handling more like a raft at the moment, you're right. She's only able to run downwind (or, with some rudder input, a little to the left or right of the wind's course).

Trevor does have a problem regarding shore; an exposed sandy beach, with it's large breaking waves (there is a lot of surf on that coast) would be deadly to Atlantis. She'd beach on the sand, still in the surf, and slowly be pounded to bits. Trevor would be okay (assuming he could find people on that largely uninhabited coast) but Atlantis would be destroyed, and Trevor sure doesn't want that.

Trevor is at the end of his rope now; Atlantis is failing fast (the flooding, the failing sail, etc, etc) and he's about out of food. If he passes shark bay, he'll hit the southeast trades and be pushed northwest, away from Australia. The next land he'd have a chance of encountering would be around Diego Garcea, with is in the west central Indian Ocean, over 3000 miles away. With Atlantis half flooded and his sail kaput, Atlantis would just drift with wind and current, making maybe 15 miles a day, tops. So, he'd reach the Diego Garcea area in about seven months, by which time he'd have the additional complication of being dead. :)

B)..............Hummm Gonzales and Henry have a conclusion about the case, or at least having loose ends figured out, I see Gonzales stepping forward beyond the investigation, he smells a rat in this mess, will he bring in the Feds? Will Henry confirm the relationship of Bridget and George in this investigation? I still wonder if Gonzalez's life is left hanging, I said it before, I think George realizes Gonzalez is onto him, will the unknown Henry take the lead in the investigation?

I'm glad Gonzales and Joel referenced a search if the time-line was short of Trevor's supposed arrival to Australia, it gives Trevor more help!

How interesting that Trevor has his set on sights on Shark Bay, a place not far from his mom's hometown, will his mother be his rescuer? The problem I see now, Trevor once rescued, he will be able to contact Joel and Lisa but not his father and Jim. Will his mother warn him? Will Lisa accidentally spill the info on Trevor to Bridget? Or will Gonzales interfere, and for once, stop being so obstinate, and tell her his suspicions of Bridget. Or will Frank step into the fray? That sounds more likely as he has no constraints on information being told, nor his suspicions of the facts. In fact I see Frank as being the catalyst in the investigation from here on out.

:boy:..............Great chapter CJ, you wily goat, throwing in the cliffs at the end of the chapter!!! :D

Cliffs? Well, you'd have to blame Graeme for those... the Zutydorp Cliffs are an Australian placename, so it's not my fault they are there. 0:)

If Trevor called Lisa or Joel, I'm sure they'd keep it confidential if he asked, and so no one but they, and the microphones in the guesthouse, would know. See? Nothing to worry about.. or as the Australians say, no worries. :)

I can't say much, but I can say that Frank is a recurring character. :)

- - - -

- - -

will Trevor rub his belly there with the sharks

Great points!

Those are some great links to Shark Bay... It's a fascinating place. I've never been there, but I'd very much like to.

Trevor would be okay if he fell overboard and Atlantis was moving slowly, but he's done about all he can already. He could try dismounting the cockpit's hard roof, but that would be a hard task, and would give him very little sail area. He can also try re rigging the netting sail so it's at a 45 degree angle to Atlantis's centerline, which would allow him to sail at an angle to the wind, but she'd be very slow and unstable like that; he'd be doing a knot or two and have to stay at the helm constantly (and let her drift free while he's asleep). Trevor is just about out of tricks...

The next chapter is called Threading the Needle.

CJ :)

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..