Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Millennium - Chapter 54

As long as he doesn't move to California so he can fall in love with Will, I'm okay with it. If he winds up going to California so he can have a rivalry with Matt Carrswold, that would actually be cool.

Edited by methodwriter85

As long as he doesn't move to California so he can fall in love with Will, I'm okay with it. If he winds up going to California so he can have a rivalry with Matt Carrswold, that would actually be cool.

I don't see the conflict that you anticipate. That doesn't really sound much like Matt. I think he'd be more likely to be intrigued at having this younger relative, more like a little brother, since he was an only child.

Yeah, but it's not like Sam left on a particularly high note. I forget, who did Sam sleep with back then? I thought it was just JP and Jeff...

In the story, we only learn about JP having sex with Sam. Here it's implied that Stef did too.

I always thought the sex between Sam and JP was really hot... Sort of suprises me that Stef went there as back then he seemed to view Sam as very much a servant and was sort of rude toward him...

I was actually just talking the other day with someone about what happened to Sam, the last mention that either of us could find was Vela talking to JP about him after he came back from France and Jeff had lied to her about JP cutting him off because he was rude to them when they went to visit. The last time Sam actually appeared in the story as far as I could find was when JP was touring and giving the lecture about Vietnam and they had to go through the picket lines to see him when the Black Panthers had seized that building on campus....

I don't see the conflict that you anticipate. That doesn't really sound much like Matt. I think he'd be more likely to be intrigued at having this younger relative, more like a little brother, since he was an only child.

I guess that's true, but silbing rivalry isn't always necessarily mean-spirited. Maybe not so much "conflict", but one-upping each other or that kind of thing. He can't really do that with JJ and Will because they're too young, Darius is too laidback and lazy, but I'm thinking it could be funny to watch them compete against each other.

I guess that's true, but silbing rivalry isn't always necessarily mean-spirited. Maybe not so much "conflict", but one-upping each other or that kind of thing. He can't really do that with JJ and Will because they're too young, Darius is too laidback and lazy, but I'm thinking it could be funny to watch them compete against each other.

As I often do, I find myself returning to my favorite author for an example of how families can work. This passage is from Lois McMaster Bujold's Mirror Dance.

For the first time in his life, Miles was feeling the hot breath of fraternal competition on the back of his neck. Do I make you uneasy? Ha! Get used to it, boy. I've lived with it for twenty-two years. Miles had spoken of Mark as "my brother" in the same tone he'd use for "my boots," or maybe, "my horse." Or—give credit, now—"my child." A certain smug paternalism. Miles hadn't been expecting an equal with an agenda of his own. Suddenly, Mark realized he had a delightful new hobby, one that would provide entertainment for years to come. God, I'm going to enjoy being your brother.

For context, Mark and Miles did not meet until only a couple years before this. Miles, in fact, did not know about Mark's existence, though Mark knew about Miles for reasons that are not germane. For now, I can simplifiy it as saying Mark was raised with different parents than the insanely privileged and rich Miles.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..