English Cricketer : I'm gay

• Site Administrator

England's Steven Davies has come out. :)

One thing I like is the following quote from the article:

Davies decided to confide in his England colleagues after being called up for the recent Ashes tour to Australia.

He said he received wonderful support from his team-mates, especially fellow wicketkeeper Matt Prior and captain, Andrew Strauss, and now looks forward to getting on with, what he hopes will be, a long and successful career at the highest level.

729_stevedavies-420x0.jpg

He's only 24, so he's potentially got a long international career ahead of him. :2thumbs:

That's fantastic!

I don't know much about cricket, but with the (low) regard i have for the Australian cricket team, i simply cannot imagine them supporting a player who came out!!!

The only openly gay Australian sports person i know of is that synchronised diver. And i just forgot his name...

But kudos, definitely!

• Site Administrator

That's fantastic!

I don't know much about cricket, but with the (low) regard i have for the Australian cricket team, i simply cannot imagine them supporting a player who came out!!!

Some of the players would definitely be supportive. Some, however, I'm not sure of. One of the comments in the article in The Age newspaper:

"I have got nothing to hide and I am ready to tell people ... I feel it is right to be out in the open about my sexuality," Davies said.

"I'm comfortable with who I am - and I'm happy to say who I am in public.

"To speak out is a massive relief for me personally - but if I can just help one person to deal with their sexuality, then that's all I care about.

"At the end of my career I want to be remembered as a good cricketer, not just as a gay cricketer."

I think the younger generation is overall more confident in being out, and equally I think there is a lot more tangible support in that age group. That's why I think people like Steven Davies are going to be more common over the next decade.

The only openly gay Australian sports person i know of is that synchronised diver. And i just forgot his name...

Matt Mitcham, and he's not a synchronised diver. One of the synchronised divers is reported as being gay on Wikipedia, but I'm taking that one with a huge grain of salt.

Before that, the major Australian gay sportsman was Ian Roberts, the rugby player.

But kudos, definitely!

Most definitely :D

Gee, there is a shocker. A sport where they all wear white flannel! They even have positions just for straight people like "straight long on", so who did you think was playing in "deep cover" then? Hmmmm

Edited by Matthew k
  • Like 1

I am very pleased for him and I am also pleased with all of the rest of the England cricket teams' reaction. Strauss and co showing support to Steve Davies will set a good example to all :)

I think it's an inspiration because I played cricket in college right now (every Friday) with a group of people but I can't bring myself to say to them that I'm gay. I think he helped break the barrier for us.