9.0 Magnitude Earthquake hits Japan

I can't recall hearing a 8.9 before. First New Zealand, now this. Aren't we on a roll this year...

My condolences to the ones affected in Japan. Perhaps there is hope that some of the ones missing will be recovered as survivors.

I'm about to write a blog post here, linking to ways of getting in contact with people or helping out and information spots and helpful hints about earthquake survival for those stranded. I'll edit my post as soon as I've gathered it all up.

EDIT - taken from my blog: As of writing this blog post at 18:35 GMT, there are STILL mini-quakes and small earthquakes on-going. The earthquake hit off the coast of Miyagi pref. and was 8.9 (larger than the Great Kantou Quake) and there was no epicentre - the central zone was split along some 400 km. The toll is rising, and the resulting tsunami is expected to hit other coastlines, such as the US/South America coastline, as well as Australia and New Zealand and many other countries.

Headlines and Information:

http://iphweb.com/20...ke-information/

http://headlines.yah...000795-san-soci 200-300 Bodies found in Miyagi pref. (Japanese only)

http://www.bbc.co.uk...acific-12709598

http://www.itv.com/n...ol-vortex76744/

For those wanting to get in touch with loved ones:

Phones lines and train lines are down completely as of writing, but the internet is still working in some areas. If a loved one has Twitter, it is currently your best to get in contact with them. If you are wanting to check on someone, Google has introduced this people checker if want to try and get in touch with someone.

http://www.google.co...nquake2011.html Japanese

http://www.google.co...nquake2011.html English

For those reading who may be stuck in Japan:

In areas affected, many public schools are opening their doors to those who cannot get home and acting as shelters. I have received this information bulletin from my former university in Japan. For those interested, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies campus is currently okay - should I hear anything more from the universities I shall post it here.

Prepare water, food, warm clothes, flashlight, towels, raincoat, mask...(maybe only japanese ppl have ones), bell or whistle toilet paper, sanitary protections in case. Put on shoes with thick soles when you need to go out for safety.

You are also advised to switch off any unecessary electrical plugs.

There is free interpreting for foreign nationals who have been stranded by the disaster:

http://www.47news.jp...1101001122.html

For those who wish to help: Please get in touch with your local Red Cross or embassy to find out what you can do to help. Red Cross is currently taking donations for earthquake relief.

http://www.ifrc.org/

http://www.huffingto...f_n_834484.html

• Like 1

The outer housing of one of the nuclear reactors has blown-up (the frame was not damaged, nor was the metal housing unit). There was a partial meldown at one of the reactors but it is being dealt with. Sea-Water with a mixture of Boric Acid is being pumped in to cooldown the Cesium Pellets.

Core of quake-damaged reactor partially melts

From TEPCO:

Just after Explosion:

Press Release (Mar 13,2011)

Plant Status of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (as of 2am March 13th)

All 6 units of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station have been shut down.

Unit 1(Shut down)

- Reactor has been shut down. However, the unit is under inspection due to the explosive sound and white smoke that was confirmed after the big

quake occurred at 3:36PM.

- We have been injecting sea water and boric acid which absorbs neutron into the reactor core.

Unit 2(Shut down)

- Reactor and Reactor Core Isolation Cooling System have been shut down. Current reactor water level is lower than normal level, but the water

level is steady. After fully securing safety, we are preparing to implement a measure to reduce the pressure of the reactor containment

vessels under the instruction of the national government.

Unit 3(Shut down)

- Reactor has been shut down and we continue injecting water by High Pressure Core Injection System. After fully securing safety, we are

preparing to implement a measure to reduce the pressure of the reactor containment vessels under the instruction of the national government.

- Currently, we do not believe there is any reactor coolant leakage

inside the reactor containment vessel.

Unit 4 (shut down due to regular inspection)

- Reactor has been shut down and sufficient level of reactor coolant to ensure safety is maintained.

- Currently, we do not believe there is any reactor coolant leakage inside

the reactor containment vessel.

Unit 5 (outage due to regular inspection)

- Reactor has been shut down and sufficient level of reactor coolant to ensure safety is maintained.

- Currently, we do not believe there is any reactor coolant leakage inside the reactor containment vessel.

Unit 6 (outage due to regular inspection)

- Currently, we do not believe there is any reactor coolant leakage inside the reactor containment vessel.

Casualty

- 2 workers of cooperative firm were injured at the occurrence of the earthquake, and were transported to the hospital.

- 1 TEPCO employee who was not able to stand by his own with his hand holding left chest was transported to the hospital by an ambulance.

- 1 subcontract worker at important earthquake-proof building was unconscious and transported to the hospital by an ambulance.

- The radiation exposure of 1 TEPCO employee, who was working inside the reactor building, exceeded 100mSv and was transported to the hospital.

- 4 workers were injured and transported to the hospital after explosive sound and white smoke were confirmed around the Unit 1.

- Presence of 2 TEPCO employees at the site are not confirmed

Others

- We measured radioactive materials inside of the nuclear power station area (outdoor) by monitoring car and confirmed that radioactive

materials level is higher than ordinary level. Also, the level at monitoring post is higher than ordinary level. We will continue to

monitor in detail the possibility of radioactive material being discharged from exhaust stack or discharge canal. The national government has instructed evacuation for those local residents within 20km radius of the periphery because it's possible that radioactive materials are discharged.

- We will continue to take all measures to restore the security of the site and to monitor the environment of the site periphery.

Current Status:

Press Release (Mar 13,2011)

Plant Status of Fukushima Daini Nuclear Power Station (as of 2:00am March 13th)

There is no update from the release issued at 1:00 am

Unit 1 (shut down at 2:48pm on March 11th)

- Reactor is shut down and reactor water level is stable.

- Offsite power is available.

- At 8:19am, there was an alarm indicating that one of the control rods was not properly inserted, however, at 10:43am the alarm was spontaneously

called off. Other control rods has been confirmed that they are fully inserted (reactor is in subcritical status)

- Status of main steam isolation valve: closed

- Injection of water into the reactor is done by Make-up Water Condensate

System.

- At 6:08pm, we announced the increase in reactor containment vessel pressure, assumed to be due to leakage of reactor coolant. However, we

do not believe there is leakage of reactor coolant in the containment vessel at this moment.

- At 5:22am, the temperature of the suppression chamber exceeded 100 degrees. As the reactor pressure suppression function was lost, at 5:22am,

it was determined that a specific incident stipulated in article 15, clause 1 has occurred.

- We decided to prepare implementing measures to reduce the pressure of the reactor containment vessel (partial discharge of air containing

radioactive materials) in order to fully secure safety. This preparation work started at around 9:43am and finished at 6:00pm.

- Restoration work in reactor cooling function is in progress to achieve reactor cold shutdown.

Unit 2 (shut down at 2:48pm on March 11th)

- Control rods are fully inserted (reactor is in subcritical status)

- Injection of water into the reactor is done by Make-up Water Condensate System.

- We do not believe there is leakage of reactor coolant in the containment vessel.

- At 5:32am, the temperature of the suppression chamber exceeded 100 degrees. As the reactor pressure suppression function was lost, at 5:32am,

it was determined that a specific incident stipulated in article 15, clause 1 has occurred.

- We decided to prepare implementing measures to reduce the pressure of the reactor containment vessel (partial discharge of air containing

radioactive materials) in order to fully secure safety. This preparation work started at around 10:33am and finished at 10:58pm.

- Restoration work in reactor cooling function is in progress to achieve reactor cold shutdown.

Unit 3 (shut down at 2:48pm on March 11th)

- We do not believe there is leakage of reactor coolant in the containment vessel.

- We decided to prepare implementing measures to reduce the pressure of the reactor containment vessel (partial discharge of air containing radioactive materials) in order to fully secure safety. The preparation woke started at around 12:08pm and finished at 12:13pm.

- Reactor cold shutdown at 12:15pm

Unit 4 (shut down at 2:48pm on March 11th)

- Injection of water into the reactor is done by Make-up Water Condensate System.

- In order to cool down the reactor, injection of water into the reactor had been done by the Reactor Core Isolation Cooling System, however, At

6:07am, the temperature of the suppression chamber exceeded 100 degrees. As the reactor pressure suppression function was lost, at 6:07am, it was

determined that a specific incident stipulated in article 15, clause 1 has occurred.

radioactive materials) in order to fully secure safety. The preparation woke started at around 11:44am and finished at around 11:52am.

Indication from monitoring posts installed at the site boundary did not show any difference from ordinary level. No radiation impact to the external environment has been confirmed. We will continue to monitor in detail the possibility of radioactive material being discharged from exhaust stack or discharge canal.

Picture of Reactor 1:

110312reactorvlg5pgrid4.jpg

Many people don't have enough food due to rampant issues with food transports and inability for some people to go out due to fear of nuclear radiation.

For an industrialized and advanced nation as Japan to have this happening, it is very tragic as there should be more than enough in their nation.

Paya, for those folks posting those status; It seems they forgot history where the Japanese paid their dues for Pearl Harbor in the forms of Nagasaki and Hiroshima Bombings. And they also forget that Japan is currently one of our strongest allies.

W.L.: I would not expect it so. For one they had two natural destructions occur at once (the Earthquake and Tsunami). Additionally, they are an island nation, which makes it harder for importation (long durations for aide to arrive)

@Paya.

Ugh.... just ugh!!!!!! I'm going to try to avoid reading these comments because they'll just make me furious. Im having a hard time keeping my tears back from watching the news. Didnt America drop two ****ing atomic bombs on Japan? Is it necessary to make such a comparison now? Is it ok to blame the present Japanese for something that happened years ago? It's totally irrelevant.

@Paya.

Ugh.... just ugh!!!!!! I'm going to try to avoid reading these comments because they'll just make me furious. Im having a hard time keeping my tears back from watching the news. Didnt America drop two ****ing atomic bombs on Japan? Is it necessary to make such a comparison now? Is it ok to blame the present Japanese for something that happened years ago? It's totally irrelevant.

Jovian-

I'm not too thrilled with some of my countrymen after seeing that.

If I see any of that junk, I will bitch-slap it down in your honor.

James

• 3 weeks later...

These are two of the many videos on YouTube that got to me.

In this first one, you get an idea of how massive the wall of water is as it spills over the tsunami wall. Looking at the cars, the wall had to be over ten feet tall and the water breached it easily. Then at :48 you see cars moving in the background, unaware it seems what is about to hit them. It is so tragic it is indescribable because it was so preventable.

In this one, if you blink, you miss the guy in the very beginning who looks like he is casually loading the back of a van as the first water reaches him and the car that turns left, just in front of the water. Higher ground was just around the corner so you hope they got to it.

The last bit is the huge amount of debris that is floating towards the US including the gruesome prospect of human remains.

The vast field of debris from Japan earthquake and tsunami that's floating towards U.S. West Coast

• Like 1