Open Club  ·  283 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

St. Vincent

How close are we getting to the battle, in reality is should be getting pretty close. I can't wait to feel the breeze and the fine spray of salt water as Granger and his ship rushes toward the firing cannons of the enemy. I do hope that we get to spend sometime back in London after the battle dealing with the family issues as well, I can't wait to see how that comes out in the end. I still think a nice carriage accident for Freddie and Davina would be the best. It would be over quick and then what a lovely funeral we could have... I am sure that Caroline could take care of all the details...

• Like 2

How close are we getting to the battle, in reality is should be getting pretty close. I can't wait to feel the breeze and the fine spray of salt water as Granger and his ship rushes toward the firing cannons of the enemy. I do hope that we get to spend sometime back in London after the battle dealing with the family issues as well, I can't wait to see how that comes out in the end. I still think a nice carriage accident for Freddie and Davina would be the best. It would be over quick and then what a lovely funeral we could have... I am sure that Caroline could take care of all the details...

The battle is featured in Chapter 29, which is only partially written at this point. I'd expect a few more chapters after that.

Chapter 28 is up and set the stage for the battle and it is a freaking hoot! Loved it!

As I said in my response to your review, this was loosely based on the actions of HMS Minerve, commanded by George Cockburn (the guy who would burn Washington in 1814). In the real-life version, Roberts was inserted instead of Lieutenant Thomas Masterman Hardy, who would ultimately become Nelson's flag captain at Trafalgar. Nelson uttered the famous words: "By God, I'll not lose Hardy again!" The Minerve was able to dissuade the Spaniards without firing in that situation, and when she found herself in the midst of the Spanish fleet, she was able to sneak through unnoticed, without firing a shot.

But it's more fun to have Belvidera in the midst of the confused, fog-bound Spaniards, blasting away, and it conveniently gives me a way to credit Granger with splitting the Spanish fleet into two parts, a considerable contributor to the upcoming victory. In the real life version, it was Spanish confusion that created the gap.

• Like 2

Loved the latest chapter, and agree that the build up to the battle was great. I have been reading up on this battle quite a bit since you started this story. It really was a great British victory. The fact that the British fleet was so well trained and that the Spainish fleet had less than 200 trained sailors, truly made the victory possible. Although the British fleet had a number of cases of true herorism, Nelson, chief among them; the ineptitude of the Spainish more than anything brought about there defeat.

I can't wait for the battle. I can smell the gunpowder already...

• Like 3

I really liked the scene with Llwellyn. I know, you're all shocked, but like having Granger thrown into a situation where he doesn't quite know the rules, but he's willing to make the best of.

• Like 1

I think that we all need to remember that at the time of this battle, Granger is just barely 20 years of age. I know that at that time in history that was almost middle age but still not much time for someone to know how to handle himself in every situation. Granger becasue of his position and educational advantage would be far ahead of most of his contemporaries but even then nothing can really replace good old fashion life experience.

Mark has created a world that has drawn many into it's embrace. This is partly because the stories in this series are so well written but also because he is able to so seemlessly blend historical action with a story and people that we can really care about.

• Like 1

Loved the latest chapter, and agree that the build up to the battle was great. I have been reading up on this battle quite a bit since you started this story. It really was a great British victory. The fact that the British fleet was so well trained and that the Spainish fleet had less than 200 trained sailors, truly made the victory possible. Although the British fleet had a number of cases of true herorism, Nelson, chief among them; the ineptitude of the Spainish more than anything brought about there defeat.

I can't wait for the battle. I can smell the gunpowder already...

I personally think that the "200 trained sailors" is a bit of an understatement, but the basic point remains that the Spanish philosophy was to have a cadre of trained officers and men and to then make up the bulk of the crew with whatever they could grab in port. That meant mostly peasants and soldiers. If you think about it, that makes sense, since that's probably how they fought their ships back at the time of the Armada. Then, there was a core group that sailed the ship, and then there were soldiers on board to fight. The ships were nothing more than floating wooden castles. Innovation wasn't a Spanish strength in that era, so it goes to figure that they'd still be using the same strategy.

I really liked the scene with Llwellyn. I know, you're all shocked, but like having Granger thrown into a situation where he doesn't quite know the rules, but he's willing to make the best of.

I think Dan Savage would say that Granger was definitely GGG. Posted Image

I think that we all need to remember that at the time of this battle, Granger is just barely 20 years of age. I know that at that time in history that was almost middle age but still not much time for someone to know how to handle himself in every situation. Granger becasue of his position and educational advantage would be far ahead of most of his contemporaries but even then nothing can really replace good old fashion life experience.

Mark has created a world that has drawn many into it's embrace. This is partly because the stories in this series are so well written but also because he is able to so seemlessly blend historical action with a story and people that we can really care about.

Thanks for that. I think that George has been forced to mature. He's been forced into a man's world since a young age, and he's been lucky enough to have good guidance along the way. Without that, I think that even with his personal strengths, he'd have made some pretty big blunders.

• Like 2

Hey Mark, it's my birthday, how about a battle? I got my son reading it now too. He's loving it.

Posted Image

Happy Birthday big guy! If I had a chapter edited and ready to go, I'd post it!

I'm glad you're son's reading! How cool is that!

Happy Birthday big guy! If I had a chapter edited and ready to go, I'd post it!

I'm glad you're son's reading! How cool is that!

He started Gun room yesterday and is most of the way through Belvedere. He [bimeny] just turned 15 in December. He wants to know if there are any midshipmen openings. I told him that was double entendre. He said, 0.0 "Double what?" Posted Image

Not really. He's actually really bright. But he is loving it. He spent yesterday in Posted Image HMS Arbour induced Priapism.

Oh to be a teen again. Posted Image lol nah Posted Image I like being grown up.

And it was worth a try. No matter Mark, your chapters are well worth the wait. ALWAYS! Posted Image

Well, the battle has been joined and Nelson is starting to pull off an action that ended up actually being named after him. I was so excited while I read this story; I really felt that I was on board one of the ships preparing for the onslaught.

While I will miss both Roberts and Gatling, their departure allows for new officers to come aboard. Of course, this gives Granger a chance to find a new officers to interact with and maybe enjoy in other ways as well. I am glad that Granger will be on the way to London after the battle, I hope that Granger gets to do something in the battle; this would be very rare for a ship of his size in a battle such as this but it is Granger we are talking about... LOL...

I can't wait for the next chapter so the battle can continue. Keep up the great work Mark, this is such a great series.

• Like 1

I really love how mark is mixing the poetic licence with historical fact. Its really skillfully done.

This is the battle that elevated Admiral Jervis to an Earldom and made him a very rich man. Within 4 years he will be First Lord of the Admiralty. Nelson is about to be elevated to Rear Admiral of the red (occurring on 20th of February, many remarked that this was as a result of the battle; in reality it was a coincidence - Nelson had been promoted based on seniority alone).

Granger has been at the centre of a great battle, and indeed he split the spanish line in two, which was a decisive factor in the battle. George is already an obscenely wealthy man with land and an opulent london home (much grander than his father's). His wife is a skillfull and ambitious political operator. He is a favourite of the First Lord of the Admiralty. He is on very good terms with the Prince of Wales, and the Duke of Clarence. His monarch is very favourably disposed to him. His father is one of the premier Earls in the land and the likes of his grandfather and Arthur Teasdale are pulling strings in the background.

Given these factors, it is inconceivable that Granger would not be granted a peerage in his own right. I'm casting my vote now for Viscount Brentwood. Earl Brentwood would also be a possibility, but only if his father were promoted to a Marquisate or a Dukedom. It would be very rare indeed for a younger son to be promoted above his father in that fathers lifetime.

• Like 2

What a set-up! Loved it. Can't wait for more.

Westie's ideas about Viscount Brentwood sounds interesting and we know from the chapter that when the battle ends, George is being sent to London with the news.

I guess that means the end of this book is coming soon and we will have to wait for the start of the next to find out what happens in London.

Mark is really handing us the cliffies.....

• Like 2

Well, the battle has been joined and Nelson is starting to pull off an action that ended up actually being named after him. I was so excited while I read this story; I really felt that I was on board one of the ships preparing for the onslaught.

While I will miss both Roberts and Gatling, their departure allows for new officers to come aboard. Of course, this gives Granger a chance to find a new officers to interact with and maybe enjoy in other ways as well. I am glad that Granger will be on the way to London after the battle, I hope that Granger gets to do something in the battle; this would be very rare for a ship of his size in a battle such as this but it is Granger we are talking about... LOL...

I can't wait for the next chapter so the battle can continue. Keep up the great work Mark, this is such a great series.

New meat. Posted Image

I really love how mark is mixing the poetic licence with historical fact. Its really skillfully done.

This is the battle that elevated Admiral Jervis to an Earldom and made him a very rich man. Within 4 years he will be First Lord of the Admiralty. Nelson is about to be elevated to Rear Admiral of the red (occurring on 20th of February, many remarked that this was as a result of the battle; in reality it was a coincidence - Nelson had been promoted based on seniority alone).

Granger has been at the centre of a great battle, and indeed he split the spanish line in two, which was a decisive factor in the battle. George is already an obscenely wealthy man with land and an opulent london home (much grander than his father's). His wife is a skillfull and ambitious political operator. He is a favourite of the First Lord of the Admiralty. He is on very good terms with the Prince of Wales, and the Duke of Clarence. His monarch is very favourably disposed to him. His father is one of the premier Earls in the land and the likes of his grandfather and Arthur Teasdale are pulling strings in the background.

Given these factors, it is inconceivable that Granger would not be granted a peerage in his own right. I'm casting my vote now for Viscount Brentwood. Earl Brentwood would also be a possibility, but only if his father were promoted to a Marquisate or a Dukedom. It would be very rare indeed for a younger son to be promoted above his father in that fathers lifetime.

There are grounds for his elevation to the peerage, but there's also the issue of jealousy in the fleet. Granger has risen far and fast, and been given choice commands (Intrepid and Belvidera) and missions. He's already received a knighthood. I think that in a back-biting, fraternal association like the Royal Navy, which was steeped in politics, that might almost be a disservice to him.

Good point on Nelson's promotion. The ONLY way to be promoted Rear Admiral was by seniority, hence the usefulness of the appointment as Commodore, since it gave the navy the ability to give senior captains with skill a chance to prove themselves in command of multiple ships.

What a set-up! Loved it. Can't wait for more.

Westie's ideas about Viscount Brentwood sounds interesting and we know from the chapter that when the battle ends, George is being sent to London with the news.

I guess that means the end of this book is coming soon and we will have to wait for the start of the next to find out what happens in London.

Mark is really handing us the cliffies.....

Ah, but we don't know if Granger is the one being sent with "the news." The bearer of victorious news was usually rewarded, so it's a very big honor to be the one to take those dispatches home.

• Like 1

Ah, but we don't know if Granger is the one being sent with "the news." The bearer of victorious news was usually rewarded, so it's a very big honor to be the one to take those dispatches home.

“Sir George,” Jervis said to Granger. “You are to be a spectator today as well. You will remain abreast Captain to relay my signals, and then when this action is over, you will convey Sir Gilbert and his staff, as well as my official messenger and reports, directly to London.”

The quote from the chapter sure seems to indicate that is Jervis' plan.........

• Like 1

Mark,

I really love reading your story. It really can make you feel you are right there watching everything. My dad and I are reading it together now and both love it!!! Keep up the great work and we are waiting for the next chapter already! Thanks!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

New meat? hehe, I'm polishing the carronades. Maybe the diversion by Nelson can be blamed on our little Welsh Midshipmen. He'll need to be punished I'm sure. Or perhaps he signaled once too slowly?

Mark, did you want the cliffy award THAT badly? I mean, really!

And Mr Gatling together with Mr Roberts. Me thinks the voyage of that prize home may hit foul winds. lol

I'm surprised that Granger's clerk is not in the top sails taking notes. It would be quite a scoop for an ambitious clerk.

I know you have the next chapter ready to post Mark so don't make us wait. The winds are fair.

A delightful chapter.

• Like 1

“Sir George,” Jervis said to Granger. “You are to be a spectator today as well. You will remain abreast Captain to relay my signals, and then when this action is over, you will convey Sir Gilbert and his staff, as well as my official messenger and reports, directly to London.”

The quote from the chapter sure seems to indicate that is Jervis' plan.........

"convey my official messenger..." so he's going to London, but probably not as the official messenger.

Mark,

I really love reading your story. It really can make you feel you are right there watching everything. My dad and I are reading it together now and both love it!!! Keep up the great work and we are waiting for the next chapter already! Thanks!!!!!!!!

That's really cool. I'm glad you liked it, and that you're enjoying it together.

New meat? hehe, I'm polishing the carronades. Maybe the diver4sion by Nelson can be blamed on our little Welsh Midshipmen. He'll need to be punished I'm sure. Or perhaps he signaled once too slowly?

Mark, did you want the cliffy award THAT badly? I mean, really!

And Mr Gatling together with Mr Roberts. Me thinks the voyage of that prize home may hit foul winds. lol

I'm surprised that Granger's clerk is not in the top sails taking notes. It would be quite a scoop for an ambitious clerk.

I know you have the next chapter ready to post Mark so don't make us wait. The winds are fair.

A delightful chapter.

I haven't written the next chapter. I have the first few pages done, and a broad idea of how I want it to go, but it's not done. I thought about waiting to post this one until I was finished with the following chapter, but went ahead, and now I'll pay the price in making you all wait a bit. I'm sorry about the delays. Posted Image

Posted Image

I posted this picture in the body of Chapter 29, but thought I'd post it here too. This purports to show Victory 'raking' the Principe de Asturias. In this case, she's crossing the stern of the Principe de Asturias and firing her broadside, probably gun by gun, down the entire length of the decks of the hapless Spanish vessel. Such an attack, if delivered properly, could be devastating. The Victory had a broadside weight of over 1100 pounds, but if those guns were double-shotted, so too would the weights. Visualize a couple of thousand pounds of iron being hurled into the largely defenseless part of the Principe de Asturias. It must have been horrifying for those on the receiving end.

As an aside, notice how Victory appears (in this painting) to be firing on the down roll.

What a great video depicting the damage caused by cannon fire. Posted Image I also watched the 6 part bbc vids Posted Image of the defeat of Posted Image the Spanish armada. It too taught me a great deal about the naval battles of the time. It was a good investiment in time.

Then I searched for the battle of St Vincent and found "this" little nugget.

A great little 3 minute depiction of this great battle. Posted Image

Loving this series Mark. Posted Image I've saved every chapter so that I can convert it to mp3 ../..//public/style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif and listen to it on my long drives to DC. Posted Image A true treasure from the net. ../..//public/style_emoticons/default/offtopic.gif(Don't worry. For personal use only. It's how this dyslexic reads effectively.)

Thanks!

• Like 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..