Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

St. Vincent

Just to clarify, the Bridgemont title will pass (at the Earl's death) first to Freddie, then to any of his sons. If Freddie dies with no sons, the title (and estate) passes to Bertie, then to his sons. If he dies with no sons, then it will pass to George.

Yes, but neither Freddie or Bertie have any son's yet. Wouldn't it be just tragic for Freddie and his wife to die in a horrible carriage accident speeding along the lanes near London. Bertie could renounce his claim to the title, although he has shown he has changed so he might not be a bad Earl. If Freddie died and Bertie renounced and neither had any legitemate children then George could be Earl.....:2thumbs:

Not saying this has to happen because I think George is well on his way to his own peerage, with his Father's, Caroline's, and maybe Grandfather's help as well... It just seems that Freddie is such a tool and will just treat all those that live on the family estates so badly just trying to get another penny out of them... I know a lot of the aristocracy was like that but ugh, wouldn't it be better to have a good one???

• Like 1

Yes, but neither Freddie or Bertie have any son's yet. Wouldn't it be just tragic for Freddie and his wife to die in a horrible carriage accident speeding along the lanes near London. Bertie could renounce his claim to the title, although he has shown he has changed so he might not be a bad Earl. If Freddie died and Bertie renounced and neither had any legitemate children then George could be Earl.....:2thumbs:

Bertie cannot renounce. it only became possible to disclaim a peerage with the Peerages Act of 1963. The sackville-west case (Petition to the House of Lords) confirmed that no special remainders could be attached to a peerage to allow it to skip a rightful heir (although this case was in 1875, so is a ruling taken place later than this story).

Bertie cannot renounce. it only became possible to disclaim a peerage with the Peerages Act of 1963. The sackville-west case (Petition to the House of Lords) confirmed that no special remainders could be attached to a peerage to allow it to skip a rightful heir (although this case was in 1875, so is a ruling taken place later than this story).

Yep. He would have to die, and that would be a shame, since Bertie is such a likable chap.

Just to clarify, the Bridgemont title will pass (at the Earl's death) first to Freddie, then to any of his sons. If Freddie dies with no sons, the title (and estate) passes to Bertie, then to his sons. If he dies with no sons, then it will pass to George.

and (getting a bit ahead of the story) after Grainger? I realise Grainger and Calvert will keep trying, but I somehow doubt there will be any (legitimate) issue....

and (getting a bit ahead of the story) after Grainger? I realise Grainger and Calvert will keep trying, but I somehow doubt there will be any (legitimate) issue....

Of course there is 'legitimate issue', George has two sons and a daughter already with his wife.

• Like 2

Really enjoyed this latest chapter of the Bridgemont series, I really think the way Mark is able to make this history come alive is remarkable. I know that when Nelson left Elba sheparding the withdrawing troops he sighted the Spainish ships that were making for Cadiz. When he reported this to Admiral Sir John Jervis, who had received support of additional ships of the line from home, Jervis headed after them and thus the battle of St Vincent. I don't remember anything very exciting happening about the evacuation of the British troops from Elba before all of this happened, nor could I find anything that suggest anything untold happened during the evacuation.

Since we have about six weeks between this latest chapter and the battle on Feb 14, 1797; I hope we get some movement from home about the situation with Freddie dastardly trying to steal Bertie's money.... Who is going to narrate that situation?

Can't wait for the next chapter, keep up the great work Mark...

• Like 1

Really enjoyed this latest chapter of the Bridgemont series, I really think the way Mark is able to make this history come alive is remarkable. I know that when Nelson left Elba sheparding the withdrawing troops he sighted the Spainish ships that were making for Cadiz. When he reported this to Admiral Sir John Jervis, who had received support of additional ships of the line from home, Jervis headed after them and thus the battle of St Vincent. I don't remember anything very exciting happening about the evacuation of the British troops from Elba before all of this happened, nor could I find anything that suggest anything untold happened during the evacuation.

Since we have about six weeks between this latest chapter and the battle on Feb 14, 1797; I hope we get some movement from home about the situation with Freddie dastardly trying to steal Bertie's money.... Who is going to narrate that situation?

Can't wait for the next chapter, keep up the great work Mark...

You need to check your history just a little better. Nothing excited happened? Just you wait. Posted Image

Of course there is 'legitimate issue', George has two sons and a daughter already with his wife.

oops! :blink: you're right, .....

so concentrating on Calvert and Grainger that his other life completely slipped my mind!

• Like 1

Okay, so Nelson and Granger are gonna have to deal with a couple of Spainish ships while evacuating Elba; I bet they win... LOL... I want to find out what happens back in England, I want to know if Freddie is gonna get away with his dastardly behaviour or is Caroline going to be able to put a stop to it...

I miss Granger......:,( :,( :,(

• Like 2

If no one else will ask, I guess I must. When can we expect the next chapter?

Within the next 24 hours. I'm setting a personal goal to post a new chapter at least every 10 days. I know that sounds like a long time, but it takes a while to hammer these out.

Within the next 24 hours. I'm setting a personal goal to post a new chapter at least every 10 days. I know that sounds like a long time, but it takes a while to hammer these out.

And they are so worth the wait, this is the best story series on this site; CAP coming a close second for me.....

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Edited by centexhairysub

Really enjoyed the latest chapter of St.Vincent, this one looks to be another gateway chapter that leads to other things. I can't help but wonder about Captain Preston, there is just something else there but can't tell what.

I believe that Mark is doing a remarkable job of conveying how charismatic Nelson was in real life. History is filled with stories of how inspiring and overwhelming he was in person. It looks like we are in for a few good chapters of his exploits leading the way.

I do think that Granger will always remember Travers with a deep love and heartfelt sadness. I think in many ways we never forget our first love and that relationship often effects each of those that come after it. I still miss Travers but understand that his death fit the storyline.

I still want to know what is going on in London though Mark, maybe Caroline could narrate part of or all of a chapter to update that situation???

Keep up the great work.

• Like 1

I caved to Francophone pressure and posted a chapter to commemorate Bastille Day. Just don't get upset if there's a bit of time until I post Chapter 17. I haven't even written it yet.

The pressure wasn't Francophone, (to suggest an englishman is francophone is to suggest an American is pro-communist). It was "Arbourphile" - bastille day is just an excuse :P

Another great chapter Mark.

I am uneasy with the way the Don's were content to let Granger and company just come up and fight. Seems to me there is probably more ships out there to spring the trap after our heroes have taken the bait.

Maybe the comodore will get to see the value of seamanship at Granger's hand yet.

Thanks for another chapter Mark.

I caved to Francophone pressure and posted a chapter to commemorate Bastille Day. Just don't get upset if there's a bit of time until I post Chapter 17. I haven't even written it yet.

request for a delay noted, but respectfully declined..... no slacking - just write - you have fans; your fans have needs!!

great chapter. Thoroughly enjoying this. you are a magician :worship::2thumbs::worship: and I, but a humble, and bloody impatient, fan

I just wonder if for background, Mark read the Full text of "Horatio Nelson and the Naval Supremacy of England"? It gives dates, battles and insight into the thoughts of the man. My source on the internet was at:

http://www.archive.org/details/horationelsonand017530mbp If you search the document in your browser for Elba and/or St. Vincent you will get to pertinent parts for some background. From my scant research, I think Mark does a great job of incorporating historical references and follows the time line pretty well. Without a real sailing background, it is still unimaginable to me how all these sailors fit on these comparatively small ships. If you have ever been to Boston Harbor (Old Ironsides or the USS Constituion) or Baltimore Harbor (USS Constellation) and actually got on and toured one of the old sailing ships, you know what I mean.

.................... Without a real sailing background, it is still unimaginable to me how all these sailors fit on these comparatively small ships. If you have ever been to Boston Harbor (Old Ironsides or the USS Constituion) or Baltimore Harbor (USS Constellation) and actually got on and toured one of the old sailing ships, you know what I mean.

I have been on a couple of similar era ships and there is no space! However it seems to be a naval thing: I visited a post-cold-war non-nuclear submarine: I have been in bath-houses that smelled better and were less crowded! And it is not a matter of size (of the vessel, not the men!) I was fortunate enough to be given a tour of the US aircraft carrier John C Stennis. It's huge! but stick 6,000+ crew and pilots aboard and it's bloody crowded despite its size. So perhaps that's the nature of naval living through the ages!!

The latest chapter was excellent. I really do feel that Mark has a great way of drawing us all into the battles. I know that some of it is because we really care about the people in the stories but Mark is also able to make the battles relevant and interesting.

I wonder if it will be Preston or Granger that gets captured and is ransomed by the return of the Spanish Captain? One of the British Captains was captured while trying to rescue a seamen and was then ransomed back for the captured Spanish Captain. I could really see Granger risking himself to save one of his men.

I know the battle is excitting but I want to know what is going on in London..... Please!!!!!!

Keep up the great work Mark, and I know that the next one will be a little bit of a wait... :,( :,( :,(

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..