Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

St. Vincent

Just so you don't think I'm this creative, much of what you've seen in the last two chapters is an adaptation of real history. In this case, I have substituted HMS Belvidera for HMS Minerve, which was captained by George Cockburn. You may recognize his name: as an Admiral, he commanded the fleet that burned Washington DC in 1814.

Here's a link to an article on the battle that Minerve fought with Sabina.

Loved, Loved, Loved the latest chapter of this story. I find it remarkable that Mark can blend history and fiction and draw us all into this amazing world so easily. This is a talent that so few writers possess.

I think it is so interesting that Granger is able to compartmentalize his mental functions so that he is able to deal with all the reality around him; while remaining sane and relatively lucid. I cannot image how hard it would be to command a ship while a officer that is in charge of the group is also on your ship.

I hope that the next chapter gets out of editing quickly as this was just a tease of what lays ahead for Granger. I have to admit with all this action; I was able to forget about the situation in London for a while but still am dying to know how that will be resolved. Battles at sea are interesting but " Family " battles are always more so...

Keep up the reMARKable, job Mark...

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Loved, Loved, Loved the latest chapter of this story. I find it remarkable that Mark can blend history and fiction and draw us all into this amazing world so easily. This is a talent that so few writers possess.

I think it is so interesting that Granger is able to compartmentalize his mental functions so that he is able to deal with all the reality around him; while remaining sane and relatively lucid. I cannot image how hard it would be to command a ship while a officer that is in charge of the group is also on your ship.

I hope that the next chapter gets out of editing quickly as this was just a tease of what lays ahead for Granger. I have to admit with all this action; I was able to forget about the situation in London for a while but still am dying to know how that will be resolved. Battles at sea are interesting but " Family " battles are always more so...

Keep up the reMARKable, job Mark...

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Commanding a flag ship can't be an easy job. I'm convinced I, personally, lack the necessary diplomacy to do so. 0:)

Sadly, my friend, the drama in London will have to wait. Communication takes a long time in the 1790s.

• 2 weeks later...

Grainger is in one hell of a tight spot - and not the sort of tight spot we usually associate with him.

Mark :worship: (Yeh! my 'puter has generously let me use the little folk again!) you certainly know how to make our hero's life complex between the politics, the sex, the Dons, the sex, Nelson, the sex and sailing a squared-rigged ship while missing bits of vital string holding the entire contraption together you have not set him an easy task. Oh! almost forgot, he also has to sail without Roberts and with what looks to be a love sick sailor. .......

He must be seriously wondering if he'll ever get to plungie into his wonderful bath back home!

great story, seriously engaged in this one.

C

NB had to edit almost immediately after posting - somehow the posting process stripped out every second vowel and made my grammar even worse than usual!0:)

Edited by Canuk

Welll truly enjoyed the latest chapter of St Vincent, this story is growing on me more with each chapter. I do find that researching and finding out information on the events that really occured at this time has made this story more fun to experience.

I think that Mark is doing a great job of integrating real history into this drama. I am able to picture Nelson and he matches up so well with how I view him from my reading of the histories of this time. I really think the time and expertise that Mark is getting into this story is marvelous.

I do find that Granger seems to be running into everyone else having sex but he doesn't seem to me having as much luck getting any lately; although it wouldn't hurt him to have a dry spell and then when he gets back to London he and Lord Chartley can have one hell of a reunion.

You can imagine the terror that those two marines felt being discovered by the Captain and then their relief at his reaction. I do find it a little odd that our " spy " is with the Spainish Captain but maybe Granger got him so worked up he just couldn't help himself...

Keep up the great work on this story and series, Mark...

• 2 weeks later...

A chapter of great release for no one having gotten any. :blink: It was good that Winkler was shown to be more than his valet and more of the confidant that we knew him to be.

Ramsey is certainly the snake we expected him to be. :devil: But now we know the impetus behind the man. It is obviously to have a go at Caroline. A mistake to be sure. But what to do, how to handle it. Perhaps hand him off to Nelson, a person more worthy to be written about. And what if I am wrong and it isn't to have a go at Caroline but something to do with the Wilcox clan? Could they be plotting a noose for Granger? He needs to find out who his family is.

It may not end in a noose because he is so decorated and favored by the king but it would mean an end to his career. Perhaps Maurice could cook up a little food poisoning for him.

One thing is certain. He owes Winkler large.

One question I have. Granger is going in under a flag of truce. What would happen if he trades for a person of higher rank than his own? Like a Wilcox? Does he stand to lose command of his own vessel? Could that happen? Could they seize command? Certainly there would be hell to pay for such an action but someone looking to ruin Granger's reputation or career.

I have not read the spoiler link and never studied the battle of St. Vincent so i don't know how it turns out. I like it that way. (I think)

Mark, you are one of the few that puts a smile on my face the second I see a chapter of St Vincent show up in the email notices. That is an email I hardily look forward to finding and when I do all else stops until I can devour the chapter. And I become testy when I must wait.

Perhaps Ramsey can kiss the gunnars daughter. Conscripted I should think. I know, I know. But a guy can dream can't he? :lol:

A chapter of great release for no one having gotten any. :blink: It was good that Winkler was shown to be more than his valet and more of the confidant that we knew him to be.

Ramsey is certainly the snake we expected him to be. :devil: But now we know the impetus behind the man. It is obviously to have a go at Caroline. A mistake to be sure. But what to do, how to handle it. Perhaps hand him off to Nelson, a person more worthy to be written about. And what if I am wrong and it isn't to have a go at Caroline but something to do with the Wilcox clan? Could they be plotting a noose for Granger? He needs to find out who his family is.

It may not end in a noose because he is so decorated and favored by the king but it would mean an end to his career. Perhaps Maurice could cook up a little food poisoning for him.

One thing is certain. He owes Winkler large.

One question I have. Granger is going in under a flag of truce. What would happen if he trades for a person of higher rank than his own? Like a Wilcox? Does he stand to lose command of his own vessel? Could that happen? Could they seize command? Certainly there would be hell to pay for such an action but someone looking to ruin Granger's reputation or career.

I have not read the spoiler link and never studied the battle of St. Vincent so i don't know how it turns out. I like it that way. (I think)

Mark, you are one of the few that puts a smile on my face the second I see a chapter of St Vincent show up in the email notices. That is an email I hardily look forward to finding and when I do all else stops until I can devour the chapter. And I become testy when I must wait.

Perhaps Ramsey can kiss the gunnars daughter. Conscripted I should think. I know, I know. But a guy can dream can't he? :lol:

I'm glad you liked the chapter.

The way a parley would work is that Granger will return Don Jacobo to Spain, along with his officers, with their pledge of honor that they won't fight until they're properly exchanged, after which point they'll be free to go at the Brits again. In this case, the exchange will be for Granger's officers and men.

I'm glad you liked the chapter.

The way a parley would work is that Granger will return Don Jacobo to Spain, along with his officers, with their pledge of honor that they won't fight until they're properly exchanged, after which point they'll be free to go at the Brits again. In this case, the exchange will be for Granger's officers and men.

But that did not answer the question. "IF" a person of higher rank than Granger were to appear in the exchange, could that person take command once the parley was completed and do something stupid like order him to London saying he had intelligence or to return to seek revenge? Obsession would not be out of line. Look at the General after all. Or would Granger be able to deny the orders of a superior officer, perhaps based on his orders to return them to Elba or the fleet by Nelson.

Better yet would be, could he refuse to take a Wilcox on-board and insist that they keep him?

But I'm glad to hear he will get his officers back. That should make Mr Gatling very happy anyways.

So the marines were ordered off at Elba by the General. That will hurt Granger in a combat situation. No snipers to put aloft. He had just got them trained the way he liked too. Undoubtedly all the other ship had to send their marines off to be slaughtered as well. that had to generate hard feelings amongst them all. Perhaps the General will slip and fall by the time Granger returns and a more resonable person will be in charge. :king:

r

But that did not answer the question. "IF" a person of higher rank than Granger were to appear in the exchange, could that person take command once the parley was completed and do something stupid like order him to London saying he had intelligence or to return to seek revenge? Obsession would not be out of line. Look at the General after all. Or would Granger be able to deny the orders of a superior officer, perhaps based on his orders to return them to Elba or the fleet by Nelson.

Better yet would be, could he refuse to take a Wilcox on-board and insist that they keep him?

But I'm glad to hear he will get his officers back. That should make Mr Gatling very happy anyways.

So the marines were ordered off at Elba by the General. That will hurt Granger in a combat situation. No snipers to put aloft. He had just got them trained the way he liked too. Undoubtedly all the other ship had to send their marines off to be slaughtered as well. that had to generate hard feelings amongst them all. Perhaps the General will slip and fall by the time Granger returns and a more resonable person will be in charge. :king:

r

Couple of thoughts:

1. You're right. If another officer who was senior to Granger was retrieved, he could feasibly give Granger different orders. It would be up to Granger to decide whether to obey them or not. Not following the orders of his superior officer would be dangerous, so Granger would have to have a damn good reason not to do it.

2. No marines were ordered off of Elba, or landed from Belvidera. The issue was that the army occupies Elba, and the General is refusing to evacuate the soldiers. It's possible that Belvidera's marines could be sent ashore, but it's pretty unlikely given the mission (evacuation) and the fact that General DeBurgh is being a total ass.

Well, this was totally worth the wait; this is rapidly becoming my favorite story. I really enjoy the fact that Mark is able to draw us into the past with a story that deals to honestly with history but is still interesting enough to keep even those that aren't history buffs glued to their chairs.

I really do think something will have to be done about Davina, George's sister-in-law. This underhanded attempt to get information to blackmail George on top of the attempt to steal Bertie's money, which I am sure she has as much or more to do with than Freddie, is just beyond the pale. I really think that maybe Caroline should arrange a tragic coach accident. This is another mark against Freddie as well, if he isn't strong enough to control his own wife then he isn't strong enough to be the Earl; maybe he should be in the coach as well...

It is accurate that Nelson was able to trade the Spainish captain and officers for the captured British officers but I believe it happened at sea not on a side trip to Spain; but I could have misunderstood what I read when I was doing some research on this battle and the skirmishes that lead up to it.

There are actually several recorded incidents where British generals or admirals wouldn't accept orders from superiors of the other branch; though rare each one seemed to cause auxillary issues. Granger has already refused to follow the orders of a superior officer when he was on the way to the West Indies and they found the lifeboat. The captain that came aboard was of a superior rank but Granger choose to follow previous orders rather than those of the officer on the scene. It was really considered bad form to come aboard a ship and try and take over from the Captain, especially if it was truly a Post Captain.

Keep up the great work, and I think Mark needs to give us some type of update of what is going on in London....

• Like 1

Couple of thoughts:

1. You're right. If another officer who was senior to Granger was retrieved, he could feasibly give Granger different orders. It would be up to Granger to decide whether to obey them or not. Not following the orders of his superior officer would be dangerous, so Granger would have to have a damn good reason not to do it.

2. No marines were ordered off of Elba, or landed from Belvidera. The issue was that the army occupies Elba, and the General is refusing to evacuate the soldiers. It's possible that Belvidera's marines could be sent ashore, but it's pretty unlikely given the mission (evacuation) and the fact that General DeBurgh is being a total ass.

Thanks. And my bad, I thought they were put ashore. Red coats and all. I'm surprised the General didn't insist. Being as wacko as he is.

Thanks for answering the question though. I was curious. Wasn't sure how that worked.

Love the story.

• Like 1

Well, this was totally worth the wait; this is rapidly becoming my favorite story. I really enjoy the fact that Mark is able to draw us into the past with a story that deals to honestly with history but is still interesting enough to keep even those that aren't history buffs glued to their chairs.

I really do think something will have to be done about Davina, George's sister-in-law. This underhanded attempt to get information to blackmail George on top of the attempt to steal Bertie's money, which I am sure she has as much or more to do with than Freddie, is just beyond the pale. I really think that maybe Caroline should arrange a tragic coach accident. This is another mark against Freddie as well, if he isn't strong enough to control his own wife then he isn't strong enough to be the Earl; maybe he should be in the coach as well...

It is accurate that Nelson was able to trade the Spainish captain and officers for the captured British officers but I believe it happened at sea not on a side trip to Spain; but I could have misunderstood what I read when I was doing some research on this battle and the skirmishes that lead up to it.

There are actually several recorded incidents where British generals or admirals wouldn't accept orders from superiors of the other branch; though rare each one seemed to cause auxillary issues. Granger has already refused to follow the orders of a superior officer when he was on the way to the West Indies and they found the lifeboat. The captain that came aboard was of a superior rank but Granger choose to follow previous orders rather than those of the officer on the scene. It was really considered bad form to come aboard a ship and try and take over from the Captain, especially if it was truly a Post Captain.

Keep up the great work, and I think Mark needs to give us some type of update of what is going on in London....

No updates from London yet. News simply didn't travel that fast.

The exchange of prisoners didn't happen at sea. From what I gather, they deposited their prisoners in Spain, and the Spanish delivered the Brits to Gibraltar. After that, there was a somewhat famous (from Thomas Hardy's standpoint) chase, but nothing of real consequence happened. At least not in the real, historical version. Posted Image

No updates from London yet. News simply didn't travel that fast.

Well maybe like in Poor Man's Son, we could have a split narration for a couple of chapters... I am just dying to know what Caroline is going to do to shot that damn sister in law of her's down...

Edited by centexhairysub
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It was with absolute joy that I awoke and found the latest chapter of St Vincent had been posted. I feel as if I am almost physically addicted to this story. This latest chapter allowed Granger to put to end to, at least on the ship, the issues of Mr Ramsey. He will still have to deal with his sister in law and her use of him as a spy.

I thought the way that Granger dealt with the issue of the two Spainish Lt's was masterful. It was obvious that at least part of the issue was the guilt over how he used them to trap Ramsey but some of it was just Granger's internalized level of fair play. Granger knew that Don Jacobo didn't really want to push the issue, afterall, he himself had also slept with Ramsey.

Although, I don't believe that Gatling would ever betray Granger, I do think it was a little more of a risk to sleep with someone whose family are tennants on his Brentwood property. I think it is nice that Gatling wants to try and stay as faithful as possible to Roberts, although who could resist Granger???

I await the next chapter and will live in despair until it arrives...

• Like 1

I think it is nice that Gatling wants to try and stay as faithful as possible to Roberts, although who could resist Granger???

I await the next chapter and will live in despair until it arrives...

Agreed & agreed! The following quoted exchange is incisive!

“Did your evidently unpleasant encounter with me diminish your feelings for him in any way?” Granger asked.“Sir…” Gatling objected, but caught Granger’s smile, and got that his captain was teasing him. “No, it didn’t.”

“But you assume that if he does, it will,” Granger stated. “So you are a better man?”

“It’s not that, sir. It’s just that, well, it’s just that with him, I don’t want to share.”

Granger chuckled. “I suspect that when you are around, that won’t be a problem. In the mean time, when you are not, it may be unreasonable to expect otherwise.”

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

While Mark is taking a break and dealing with real life, I have re-read the whole Bridgemont series and started looking for something in a similar vein either on gayauthors or another site. I haven't been able to find anything like this series, I don't expect to find one to match it but do so enjoy the timeframe and the idea behind the story.

Does anyone know of a similar story or series on here or elsewhere?

While Mark is taking a break and dealing with real life, I have re-read the whole Bridgemont series and started looking for something in a similar vein either on gayauthors or another site. I haven't been able to find anything like this series, I don't expect to find one to match it but do so enjoy the timeframe and the idea behind the story.

Does anyone know of a similar story or series on here or elsewhere?

Nope, and, like you, I have tried!! There is some REALLY bad stuff out there that is a trial to read, but nothing even approaching what we have become addicted to!

For a real long sea saga, try the Hornblower series; while it's not completely straight, its not too overtly gay either.

http://www.amazon.co...rnblower+series

I can't recommend this series highly enough. I first read "Beat to Quarters" when I was 12, and devoured the series after that. It is what drove me to love the era, and was the impetus for the Bridgemont Series.

Thanks for the replies, I have read the Hornblower series and did enjoy it. I can see where it would be an inspiration for the Bridgemont series. I am really looking however for a series that while authentic like both Hornblower and Bridgemont has more of a gay sensiblitliy like Bridgemont. It actually hasn't been but about two years since I re-read the Hornblower series in it's entirity.

Edited by centexhairysub
  • 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..