Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

St. Vincent

Mark,

I was so excited to see an update of St Vincent on the same day as your posting of the new chapter of PMS... I really needed me a Granger fix, I think I have become addicted to him. I keep going back and re-reading the story from the first up til the current chapters again and again...

I hope that Granger is able to get Mr. Roberts and the others back soon, since he delievered Captain Don Jacobo Stuart back to Roses. I was glad to see that Granger and Ventura seemed to be so simpatico once again...

I really do believe that your ability to mix fact and fiction in such a way that the reader is drawn into the story but also into the very lives of those in the story is remarkable. I care deeply about every person in the Bridgemont series and cheer and mourn their every triumph and tragedy.

I do hope that you are getting some rest and getting some time to yourself while you are taking a break. I will be waiting patiently for my next Granger fix, but you do know how us addicts can get so.....

I may be getting ahead of the story, but it seems to me the story is getting close to the time of the Cape St. Vincent near debacle.

Wiki has an interesting article:

http://en.wikipedia....t_Vincent_(1797)

If you get a Did you mean querry and it provides a link to the battle of Cape St. Vincent 1797, click on it to get to the full article.

Edited by Daddydavek

Wow, this chapter came just in the nick of time! I've read the whole series several times...I know, I know, but there it is, I love the series! Anyways, I felt a little uncomfortable with Granger going back to Roses. Everything was just a little too peaceful, just a little too easy for me to relax while he was there.

Thanks, Mark. I hope you are able to continue with the story soon.

• 3 weeks later...

oh where oh where has my george gone,

has he been cast adrift all alone?

has he found happiness and let bygones be bygones?

he better be back, or someone is gonna have a broken bone...

• Like 1

I actually just finished writing Chapter 23, so it's in editing now. Sadly, though, it's a cliffhanger and I haven't started 24 yet.

bitch! (Of course i meant it in the most affectionate way.)

Well, even if it is just a chapter with a cliffhanger, I am so excited... I do realize that this story because of the work you do with matching it so well to the period is harder and more detailed when it comes to writing it. I just truly do love this series.

Hmmm... Wouldn't this be bastard instead of bitch? Mark has never given off a feminine vibe to be but well who knows....

I think Mark is capable of giving out whatever vibe is appropriate for the situation!!

speaking of vibe... ow about more grainger??? pls Mr Arbour.....Posted Image

I was wondering something. Over the last few weeks I have been reading the George saga over and over. Which character in the CAP saga is most like George? At first I thought of a young JP, then maybe Steven, Stef's father. George has passion, he needs to be loved and has lots of love to give. George is kind, he cares deeply about his friends, family and his crew. George is brave and also logical, he knows how to plan a battle to win but also save the lives of his men. Who is most like him? Wade?

Edited by rjo
  • Like 1

I was wondering something. Over the last few weeks I have been reading the George saga over and over. Which character in the CAP saga is most like George? At first I thought of a young JP, then maybe Steven, Stef's father. George has passion, he needs to be loved and has lots of love to give. George is kind, he cares deeply about his friends, family and his crew. George is brave and also logical, he knows how to plan a battle to win but also save the lives of his men. Who is most like him? Wade?

I'd be interested to hear the opinion of the readers on this one.

George is strong willed. He doesn't let his emotions show through (so he's not Brad). Acutely aware of his position, keeping his secret and protecting the family honour and protecting caroline is paramount in his thoughts - and its threats in these areas that will bring out his ruthless streak. He has been single-minded in his determination to build a career. He has gathered much wealth, but doesnt seem to care so much about it, except for his comfortable home. He has a strong sense of noblesse oblige. George is careful, planning as far ahead in his mind as he can. Given all these points, I'm going to sat he is most like JP.

Though, his sluttiness is a little steff-like.

If i might be so bold as to go one step further, I would suggest that both JP and George Granger are examples of what the Author - our Mr Arbour - would like to be, if it were only that he could keep his emotions under control. As it is, he has more in common with Brad in CAP. And if that likeness to Brad extends to certain physical attributes... ahem **size**... then Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 1

I loved the latest chapter and it was good to see Sir Phillip Kerry again. I can't imagine what would be going on in London that Caroline didn't think she could handle, must be a doozy... I know these chapters take longer than your other story but please don't make us wait too long to find out what the issue is...

I have to agree that it seems to me that JP is the person most like George. Westie mentioned in his post that his sluttiness was sort of like Stef but if you remember JP when he was young did have that streak as well.

• Like 1

George is strong willed. He doesn't let his emotions show through (so he's not Brad). Acutely aware of his position, keeping his secret and protecting the family honour and protecting caroline is paramount in his thoughts - and its threats in these areas that will bring out his ruthless streak. He has been single-minded in his determination to build a career. He has gathered much wealth, but doesnt seem to care so much about it, except for his comfortable home. He has a strong sense of noblesse oblige. George is careful, planning as far ahead in his mind as he can. Given all these points, I'm going to sat he is most like JP.

Though, his sluttiness is a little steff-like.

If i might be so bold as to go one step further, I would suggest that both JP and George Granger are examples of what the Author - our Mr Arbour - would like to be, if it were only that he could keep his emotions under control. As it is, he has more in common with Brad in CAP. And if that likeness to Brad extends to certain physical attributes... ahem **size**... then Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I loved the latest chapter and it was good to see Sir Phillip Kerry again. I can't imagine what would be going on in London that Caroline didn't think she could handle, must be a doozy... I know these chapters take longer than your other story but please don't make us wait too long to find out what the issue is...

I have to agree that it seems to me that JP is the person most like George. Westie mentioned in his post that his sluttiness was sort of like Stef but if you remember JP when he was young did have that streak as well.

I can see some JP in George, but I think JP is more serious than Granger. I think Granger has a charm and playfulness that JP lacks. For JP, that kind of attribute is a bit more "canned", whereas with George it's natural.

Westie's observations are pretty astute....at least most of them. Posted Image

• Like 2

It is so funny that most of you think George and JP are the most a like, I think a few factors make them a little different. George was raped as a teenager. George being in the Royal Navy and living in the time he does. As for JP being a shy kid and the death of Steven I think weighed heavy upon him. Further more, we see George at the age of 16- 20 when he is at the height of his sexual powers. We first see JP later at 25. Colder and more uptight. From 1930 - 1963 was a more repressive time. I truly believe if Steven would have come back from the war JP would have been much more open and more like George.

I can agree that George and JP have certain similarities, but where as I feel I could have a good time with George (socially, sexually he's a little polyamorous for me), JP's "uptightness" would not endear him to me. So I see George as more like Steph, taking into account the different eras and social millieu.

The new chapter of St Vincent was magnificent... This is some of the best writing of the series. I can just see Caroline there in the drawing room going to town on Davina and the rest of the family... I really like the interaction between Granger and Kerry but sort of see Chartley as more of Grangers type. I can't wait for the next chapter in this wonderful addition to the best series on gayauthors...

The description of Caroline taking on her sister&brother-in-law as well as her father-in-law was

vividly described and memorable. The ending with her mother-in-law coming down forcefully on

her side was climactic and surely sealed the fate of George's oldest brother and his wife as being

sent to the country estate by George's dad.

It was a really good read, even down to George's reactions.

I agree, this one fine chapter, and that is saying a lot because I think all of your chapters are well written. I'm glad Davina's getting taken to task at last, and who better than by Caroline. I'm sure glad she had no qualms about ripping her a new one.

What surprised me was Granger's mothers' reaction...she's usually pretty calm about all this stuff!

This is one of the best chapters ever. Caroline is this best! I'm wondering however is Mark dropping hints that Bertie could be leaving this world soon? As for Freddie and his wife, could the Earl change the succession? I was looking it up and seems like it has been before where the younger son got the title. It seems like the King would have to reissue the patent. Is that true?

Edited by rjo
  • Like 1

I'm so glad you all enjoyed the chapter! It was fun to write.

This is one of the best chapters ever. Caroline is this best! I'm wondering however is Mark dropping hints that Bertie could be leaving this world soon? As for Freddie and his wife, could the Earl change the succession? I was looking it up and seems like it has been before where the younger son got the title. It seems like the King would have to reissue the patent. Is that true?

Changing the succession would be almost unheard of, unless they could prove that Freddie was mentally incompetent. Think about the mentality of that era, where birth was still a pre-eminent parameter. Freddie is the heir by right, not because the Earl chose him to be the heir. It's the same way the Earl acquired the title himself. To suggest that an older son could be displaced for a younger son sounds logical, but in fact in challenges the doctrine of primogeniture, and thus the whole system on which the aristocratic society had been built.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..