What do you look for in a story?

TurtleBoy

For me, it's the quality of the writing. No matter how good the plot or hook is, i cannot keep reading if i struggle with the writing. On the same note, if it's well written, i don't care if it's sci-fi, fantasy, romance, coming out story, crime, the age of the characters, locations, length, whatever - if it's well written, flows, has good characters and can keep me reading until the end of the chapter, likelihood is .... i'm in.

If it is written in a way with characters and such that I can go with I usually enjoy reading the book and enjoy it...

IE. Silmarillian=*gag!* someone help me there is too many names that change far too many times it boring as all hell! it was all together too hard for me to read even after 3 times i didn't get it well enough to remember the plot, i liked the hobbit however.

Red Seas under Red Skies= *bong bong* this IS a good book i love this books need to find more in the series!! (which i did....need his next book to come out... :D

however I read the junior Fiction called the House of Night and it was good up to the point where they killed off the main girls first boyfriend...which is when i put the series down and didn't pick it up again...

I usually buy books on the rereadability factor, ie if the plot and so one captures me enough that i can re-read it a year or more later and still enjoy it.... I have a memory that can remember book plots years after the fact so yeah... same with movies.... usually at the detriment of the actual title and author.... there are a couple stories on here I'd like to find again but haven't...

• Like 1

however I read the junior Fiction called the House of Night and it was good up to the point where they killed off the main girls first boyfriend...which is when i put the series down and didn't pick it up again...

I did the same thing! I was pissed when Loren Blake was a bad guy, but when they killed Heath...I didn't read anymore. :(

I look for something that catches me from the beginning. I'm too high-strung, so if it slows or dwindles then the story is over. I also like stories that I can find something about the characters that I can relate to.

• Like 1

I did the same thing! I was pissed when Loren Blake was a bad guy, but when they killed Heath...I didn't read anymore. Posted Image

I look for something that catches me from the beginning. I'm too high-strung, so if it slows or dwindles then the story is over. I also like stories that I can find something about the characters that I can relate to.

Loren i didn't trust from the beginning...however i get the feeling that he felt guilty about what he did, and it killed him....more or less.

What normally gets my attention, is the title, then I'll read threw the first chapeter. If it has a review, I'll read threw that too, I'll look at the tags and catagories. Mostly like scifi, fantasy, high school, from the point of view of an outcast to average guy who unwittingly gets the attention of the top dog. They then get stuck into a cat-mouse game with the top dog and tries to resist before falling for them at last. I'm a sucker for those, lol :P

• 5 months later...

I normally read for entertainment, drama and romance, but since coming here, I have found myself reading some great stories that normally, I would not have given a second glance, for reasons such as chatting with the author, seeing the story talked about in the chatroom, and just clicking thru all of the stories, and grabbing a story. I read the more seasoned authors, but I have found some stories that are great, and are the only story the author has published.

My only deal is being new here, there is so much dang good stuff to choose from.Posted Image

• 4 weeks later...

I prefer reading stories that are multiple-chapter series. I also tend to stick closely to my preferred genre. What I DO NOT like is when authors do not complete stories. I think it's inconcederate to their readers when they fail to complete their work.

I don't pay too much attention to an Authors reputation. I do read the reviews and the descriptions, but generally read the first chapter and base my decision to continue reading on the story, characters and premise of the story.

Edited by Forsaken One

• 3 months later...

Mainly I tend to look for single viewpoint stories. I have a lot of problems following stories that keep switching from character to character. this is not a criticism on those type of stories, its just mainly my comprehension problems.

As for genre or type, although I do like contemporary I tend to look for gay romance with human/non-human pairings.

There are stories and then there are stories.

Some are strictly for fun- like a Judge Dredd comic. Most of my stuff falls into this category. They don't offer anything profound.

Then there are stories that do. If I should ever happen to write one, I would be the most surprised person of all.

Really depends on the mood I'm in. I can start two or three novels, drop one for several months, then pick it up and find I'm enthusiastic about it again. Complexity doesn't come into it - though I have to admit I don't go much for the 'smart author showing off' (genre:- Arty Literati) - though oddball stuff like California Fire & Life does get me every time. Only real genre I don't go for is Alternative History. And Chick-Lit. Okay, the two genres I don't go for are Alternative History, chick-lit, and Historical Romance... Okay, where's a pen and paper... :)

Description, genre, and theme are the three major things I look at when picking what story to read. For books, Once i find an author I like, I'll read anything they put out, won't always keep it, limited bookcase shelf space and all, but I will read it.

For me the name is the initial hooker because it can be an indicator of what type of story it is....if I'm browsing this more depends on my mood and what I'm feeling like reading at that time. I also check out stories based on reviews by others. Many people giving good reviews can't all be wrong; what keeps me reading a story however is the progression of the story and its characters. Also if I can relate to them or their situation in some form or fashion I would feel more compelled to see what happens and how they cope.

• 3 months later...

I read a wide variety of stories. 

The ones that really keep my attention the longest are the stories are where people take care of or help others that are down on their luck or who have been mistreated in one way or another.  There may be SOME sex, but I'm not one for reading about sex sex and more sex.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll read any story as long as it fits into my criteria.

1. High School/College

2. Not labeled "No sex"

3. 10K+ words

If it fits into that, i'll read it. But poor grammar and spelling immediately make me move on, and i'm not a fan of overly-sappy romance. 

• 3 months later...

There are four things that i look for in a book or story. The first is the genre. I'm more likely to pick up a sci-fi novel or fantasy than romance or other genres. The second thing I look for is the plot hook. The author needs to pique my interest with the back cover summary. They also need to grab my attention and run with it in the first chapter. Then,  I look at the length . When I truly love a book I tend to devour it overnight, so I try to go for books that will last until morning. Finally, I look at the plot. Is it decent and believable or full of errors and questionable choices? Is it a book I will read again or will it collect dust on the shelf? Can I identify with the characters? 

The books that fullfill these requirements are ones that I read until they fall apart and I have the story memorized.

I don't really know what I look for.. When I was new to GA I read the "most reviewed stories"  and then I read more stories that the authors in "most reviewed" had written :)

I have my genre preferences and usually enjoy them the most, but I'll try anything.  I don't like to limit myself because you never know what hidden gem is out there.  I've found several authors I now follow by doing this.  99.9% of the time I will finish a story even if I may not be enjoying it.  I never know what I might learn even if it's just the realization that it was a colossal waste of time.  If I wasn't too wild about a story, I'm still willing to read a second one from the that author just to make sure that it wasn't a one-off situation.  I do make sure the story is complete, then check the description and tags so that I know what I'm getting into and, finally, read.

I think Nephylim's comment says it all:

I read because it's there smile.gif

I read so much andretty much anything.  I start off with the blurb if it catches my interest in read the story. Kf I liked the story I read everything I can by that author. I told a friend I'm like a literary locust I devour everything by that author then move onto the next.    When I'm all caught up on the stories here I will open the longest series tab and scroll thru those stories.  Lol have ever read so many of them already I'm down to short stories and unfinished ones.  I love romance, love story, drama supernatural.  Not enamored of historical or horror, but if I'm bored and have nothing else I will read that too.  If the author did something I didn't like I will flick to another story, but eventually always come back and finish. Something to do with curiosity and the cat I suppose.

So to make a long story short basically I go by author, length, genre or just boredom.  To a person that can read about a hundred books a month plus ebooks there really isn't a thing I won't try once.  Yeah I know (head down in shame) I need a life. Lmao

GENRE. Definitely the genre.

I can never read too much of sci-fi/fantasy story. Well, sure I read the descriptions too but when that story has either sci-fi or fantasy genre hanging around on it's cover, I'll read it. I also prefer the completed one rather than the one that still in-progress, but if I know the authors, I'll give it a go.

I don't even care if the writer is still young and immature, or when his writing is hard to grasp and the scenes are confusing. As long as it's one of the above genre, I'll read it and giving him some kind of constructive feedback after. In rare occasion, I'll even offer him my service as his betas. I mean, isn't that what beta readers are for? To help young authors grow?

I know that most people can't stand poorly written script or stories. I am not like them. Probably because I love reading too much to care about things like that. Although I must admit, good written stories ALWAYS be the first on my list-to-read. Bad written one is doomed to be on the bottom list.

I rarely ever read the other genre. If I do, then it's probably because that particular story is real good, or because I know the author personally. ...

Have I mentioned that I can never had enough of sci-fi/fantasy genre? :D

Edited by AnimalMorph

I have a tendency to literally judge a book by its cover. The title is very important, and what tends to draw me in in the first place. If the title doesn't catch me, I'm unlikely to read. Then there's the description and the rating. I rarely read anything below mature rating unless the description and title have really drawn me in. Lastly, there's length. I'm more likely to read a short story than a novel at the moment, simply because reading novels is very time consuming. So if I'm looking through an author's works for something to read, I'll generally start with a short story or novella of less than 20,000 words. Then, if I really like what I see, I'll move on and read the longer stuff.

If it is poorly written, I'll probably put it away again, unless the plot is exceptionally good, because the beta/editor in me will point out every little mistake to me and I'll get really annoyed. If the plot is good enough, I can sometimes get past that, but then we're talking tremendously good.

• Like 1

I have a tendency to literally judge a book by its cover. The title is very important,

The title is important - an author here posted a story called "there and back again" and that put me in a bad mood because I am a big Tolkien fan and didn't like the title (stolen) :P  I decided not to read that story.. The story (and the "author") is no longer on GA but that's another story.. I am very obstinate - all my friends agree with that, :)

The title is important - an author here posted a story called "there and back again" and that put me in a bad mood because I am a big Tolkien fan and didn't like the title (stolen) :P  I decided not to read that story.. The story (and the "author") is no longer on GA but that's another story.. I am very obstinate - all my friends agree with that, :)

I dunno, I think it can be okay to borrow if you do it right... Like The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time. That title is a line from a Sherlock Holmes story.

I dunno, I think it can be okay to borrow if you do it right... Like The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time. That title is a line from a Sherlock Holmes story.

While i agree with that particular example i think that "borrowing" should be kept to a total minimum, especially in titles. and i too judge pretty much by titles and the first line of the blurb. in the real world i judge books by their spines, the title, how nice the cover is and then the blurb. i can know very quickly if i'm going to like something.