One Direction. Real deal or just hype?

DragonFire

The Rolling Stones have been around for 50 years. Were they considered a boy band when they first started?

Nope. Rhythm and blues rock and roll has always been their bag. Boy band for that era, think Monkeeeeees!!! Posted Image

Edited by Zombie

Stateside.... they wouldn't survive out here. Boy bands are over and done with over here. Unless they are punkish and/or alternative in nature. I'm talking about the pop scene as that's where I would place them and unfortunately (or maybe very fortunately?) us Americans left boy bands back in the 90s.

I know that you already admitted you were wrong, but I love dramatic irony so I was pointing out this quote again.Posted Image It makes total sense- the era of the BSB/N'Sync happened ten to fifteen years ago. A current-day middle schooler doesn't even remember the hey day of the boybands. So it's new to them, with a new crop of young guys who fit the current skinny-jeaned standard of what's hot.

I actually heard "Glad You Came" in the food court today. I'm getting the feeling we'll hear it ad nauseum this summer. Although I really liked this one by the Wanted:

"War Zone" by The Wanted basically makes me think of "Gone" by N'Sync and "Cry Me A River" by Justin Timberlake. With a touch of "Too Late To Apologize" by OneRepublic.

It's funny reading the comments of One Direction fans ripping on The Wanted, and vice versa. Shades of the BSB/NSync wars back in the late 90's/early '00s.

Here's an absolutely hilarious parody of One Direction:

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

Hey! Hey! It's the monkees!.....

Damn you zombie, you had to remind me of that tv land re-run from the dark ages and their catchy song, now I am thinking of monkees :P The monkees probably were the first commercially made boy band, created by NBC to grab the Beatles fans in the US for the "next big thing".

Here's something I think helps differentiate boy bands from other rock/pop singers and groups, there is no such thing at the moment as a underground boy band as far as I know. Boy bands need a lot of maintenance with dance moves even without singing or musical instrument talents. They can't be formed in the back of a garage one day, then start doing little shows at a local bar or club the next month or so.

Was anyone a fan of BBMak? They're boy band-ish. I liked em a whole lot too back in the days. They weren't nearly as popular but they had good stuff...better than any of this One Direction crap

• Like 1

Yeah, I liked BBMak a lot.

Anyway, 98 Degrees...I used to have a picture of Nick Lachey in my diary. LOL.

But for me, "Quit Playing Games With My Heart" by BSB was the video that jumpstarted puberty for me. I was 11 when that song came out, and god they were hot.

I have this distinct memory from 1997, where "Quit Playing Games With My Heart" started playing at a fair I was at, so I ran over to the speakers to listen while my sister was busy flirting with this cute carnival worker.

Edited by methodwriter85

To be honest it's happened a few times here in the UK.

JLS didn't win the X Factor, Rebecca Ferguson is another. I don't honestly understand how Jedward did it, but they did.

Susan Boyle did it on BGT, Gareth Gates did it on Pop Idol....

Those are just a few. I think in all honesty Simon Cowell has become uncannily wise to using media hype created around contestants to launch successful careers based on the public's/press's reaction to a persons/act/band/individuals personality/performance on the show.

I think some of One Direction's songs are really catchy, an the fact that the band is comprised of adorable British boys doesn't hurt either. They appeal to their audience, which is mainly teenage girls. Boy bands are really a hit and miss thing. Some people love them, some people hate them. I think the boys can sing though, and that has to count for something.

Wasn't the group singing songs from WestLife?

The new songs seems a bit so so ... not as catchy as in other boybands

I think there are only two principle singers ... one of them has yet to sing his own song

the big issue is that they took so long to produce an album

it makes me thing they didn't write\co-write the songs ... but considering songs for their image via simon help

Hype. I won't be buying any of their songs or albums anytime soon.

And oh, they're already pulling a mass of teen girls in the States. Who says BoyBand's are dead?

I just enjoy the hate comments that parodies are getting from Directioners. (That's the fandom name.)

Comments Con't

• 4 weeks later...

Its for the vomiting effect. I've ran out of ipecac, so I need the next best thing.

Plus I got a dog now and sometimes he eats shit he's not suppose to. All I gotta do is put the screen in his face.

• Like 1

Bieber has a nature date with Harry

And Justin thinks that the One Direction boys won't have any problems getting the attention of American boys.

Will Harry Styles Be As Popular & Big As Justin Bieber?

Read more: Will Harry Styles Be As Popular & Big As Justin Bieber? — JUSTIN BIEBER ZONE //Latest News, Pics, Lyrics, Videos, Chats, Forums and more. http://www.justinbieberzone.com/2012/05/will-harry-styles-be-as-popular-big-as-justin-bieber/#ixzz1yVin0hlA

Justin Bieber has revealed he is to record a track with One Direction for the boyband's second album.

Edited by hh5

Ha, i hear auto tune. So, pretty much what JB is creating nowadays. They're just selling their face, like JB so..... Appearaently, most teenage gurls are going 1 direction > JB. Which i think idk who's gonna win LOL

Simon Cowell counter sues One Direction US over band name use

Music mogul Simon Cowell has hit back at an American band over the rights to the use of the name One Direction.

One Direction UK are fighting back against One Direction US

This week, the X Factor boss and Sony Music Entertainment launched a counter claim against the American rockers, claiming that US One Direction have 'devised and perpetrated a scheme to exploit the goodwill' of the British version of 1D.

The Hollywood Reporter also says that Cowell believes the X Factor runners up are the ones who are at risk over their fans getting confused between the two groups.

Simon's company Simco are slamming claims by 1D US that they began selling their album The Light before 1D UK released their debut offering Up All Night; adding that the UK had been using the name One Direction since the five lads appeared on the ITV1 show in 2010.

Cowell's countersuit highlights that One Direction, made up of Zayn Malik, Louis Tomlinson, Liam Payne, Harry Styles and Niall Horan, are the first UK group to enter the US Billboard 200 chart at No.1 with a debut LP, also mentioning that The Beatles managed to reach No. 2.

1D US are yet to respond to Simon's criticisms, so the battle of the bands rages on.

The American group sued their British counterparts earlier this year, on the grounds of trademark infringement.

Read more: http://www.metro.co....e#ixzz1ylQQL0K9