Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

WHAT DO WE KNOW?

Zombie

Circumnavigation is educational. I've learned a lot of things I didn't know before, and some things I didn't know I didn't know. Like navigation, diurnal tides, the False Cross, what a dangerous place Australia is; all sorts of good stuff. It should be on the education curriculum http://www.gayauthors.org/forums//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

Remember the famous remark by former US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld - surely one of the slipperiest wordsmiths on the planet (more so even than our esteemed Goat)?   I thought it might be fun to make a list of "knowns" and "unknowns".  So to start off, here's a few examples:

Known Knowns

- The World is round (evidence: the title, heheheh)

- Garlic crushers are an abomination.

- Shane is hot hot hot!!!

- Hot dogs can save your life.

- Bridget has a disturbing sexual allure (evidence: there must be something about her to tickle George's fancy)

- The Goat is a scheming, manipulative puppetmaster who relishes placing his beloved characters in mortal danger and inflicting cruel and unusual suffering (evidence: just read his stories)

- The Goat is not to be trusted.

- Did I mention Shane is hot?

Known Unknowns

- Is Rachel dead?

- How key is the key lime pie?

- Why aren't Trev and Shane obese blobsters? (evidence: read story for copious examples of frequent ingestion of junk food, full fat fry-ups, large helpings of key lime pie etc etc)

- How messy and painful is it to have your head hacked off?

Unknown Unknowns

- Is Bridget in fact Bridget's brother in drag?

- Does The Goat sell used cars? If so would you buy one from him?

- Does Bridget have any pets? If so what would be an appropriate pet?

- Does Sanchez run a party planning business as a side-line?

Edited by Zombie
  • Site Moderator

I've noticed on occasion, that a reader(s) will be come fixated on something that may, or may not, have any bearing at a point in a story. Case in point, at my site, The Talon House, there is a member who is fixated on a group call Fazetti. They've been mentioned a couple of times in Book 2 of T.S.O.I. Are they important to the story? Maybe, maybe not.

It's the same with the Key Lime Pie. Is the maker of the Pie important to the story? Maybe, maybe not.

There's the possibility that the recipe was obtained online.

Key Lime Pie

Ingredients

• 5 egg yolks, beaten
  • 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 cup key lime juice
  • 1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust

Directions

• Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  • Combine the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk and lime juice. Mix well. Pour into unbaked graham cracker shell.
  • Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Allow to cool. Top with whipped topping and garnish with lime slices if desired.

Posted Image ................ I think the significance of the pies are a reminder from his mother, a subtle hint from the goat that Rachel is near.

Hmm, sounds delicious but ingredients like that don't help answer the question "Why aren't Trev and Shane obese blobsters?" Posted Image

Posted Image Easy, 1st they are teens, and with all that swimming and running they have done, they have burned up a lot of calories.

• Site Moderator

Posted Image ................ I think the significance of the pies are a reminder from his mother, a subtle hint from the goat that Rachel is near.

Posted Image Easy, 1st they are teens, and with all that swimming and running they have done, they have burned up a lot of calories.

There's one other activity you forgot to mention.

Heh, I do try to put in a lot of info... such as making the places literally real. Sometimes that takes maps; here's one example; no matter how hard I tried in the narration, many people had a fixed impression that Gibraltar is at the narrowest part of the Strait of Gibraltar, and is also the south-westernmost point of Europe and the southernmost point on the Iberian peninsula. In fact, it is none of these things, but that seems a common misconception. So, I added maps. :)

One of the hardest things to keep real was Trevor's improvised navigation techniques in the Southern Ocean. Some of it was standard emergency navigation techniques, but his method for compensating for the sun's seasonal changes (appearing higher in the northern sky every day, in this case) was difficult. Trevor's method is his alone; I've found no mention of it anywhere, even in emergency nav manuals, and it works a hell of a lot better (I have actually tried it from my house, just like his paper arbelast) than the "normal" method of just dividing the change by the number of days. Well, they do say that necessity is the mother of invention, and Trevor was certainly in a case of necessity, so he invented something new, without realizing it. :-)

As for Trevor and Shane's wastelines; as anyone over 25 hates everyone under 25 for, at their age, so long as they are very active, they can get away with eating damn near anything. :)

Oh, BTW, Zombie? You forgot something in the known-knowns: We all know that I never, ever use cliffhangers. That's a known known. :)

Heh, I do try to put in a lot of info... such as making the places literally real. Sometimes that takes maps; here's one example; no matter how hard I tried in the narration, many people had a fixed impression that Gibraltar is at the narrowest part of the Strait of Gibraltar, and is also the south-westernmost point of Europe and the southernmost point on the Iberian peninsula. In fact, it is none of these things, but that seems a common misconception. So, I added maps. Posted Image

One of the hardest things to keep real was Trevor's improvised navigation techniques in the Southern Ocean. Some of it was standard emergency navigation techniques, but his method for compensating for the sun's seasonal changes (appearing higher in the northern sky every day, in this case) was difficult. Trevor's method is his alone; I've found no mention of it anywhere, even in emergency nav manuals, and it works a hell of a lot better (I have actually tried it from my house, just like his paper arbelast) than the "normal" method of just dividing the change by the number of days. Well, they do say that necessity is the mother of invention, and Trevor was certainly in a case of necessity, so he invented something new, without realizing it. :-)

As for Trevor and Shane's wastelines; as anyone over 25 hates everyone under 25 for, at their age, so long as they are very active, they can get away with eating damn near anything. Posted Image

Oh, BTW, Zombie? You forgot something in the known-knowns: We all know that I never, ever use cliffhangers. That's a known known. Posted Image

This is an outright, baldfaced, complete fantasy LIE

Oh, BTW, Zombie? You forgot something in the known-knowns: We all know that I never, ever use cliffhangers. That's a known known. Posted Image

Edited by MartyS

I found the list of calories that can be burnt up .. its real interesting read ... but not sure to post it ... lol

Known Unknowns

The Goat tells us that phone calls are not "safe". But now wait just a cotton pickin' minute - without the resources of those nice folks at the NSA, what's the realistic likelihood that Basingstoke would be able to intercept and listen into Trev's satphone or cellphone conversations?  We know that B has got a bag of electronic tricks, but what specific gizmo would be required, what extra info would he need (e.g. Trev's sat/mobile numbers? the phone model types? Trev's service network details?), how would B get this info and how could he monitor any calls 24/7?  Seems like a big ask for a two-bit thugster.

And if eavesdropping is possible then what about locating the position of Trev's mobile phone by triangulation - I don't believe this works with sat phones - which, presumably, would also require cooperative "insiders" to be already in place working at Trev's mobile phone company who would also need to have the appropriate skills and access (see http://en.wikipedia...._phone_tracking)

Or maybe planting a "roving bug" on Trev's mobile phone so Mr B can eavesdrop on the lovebirds' waistline-reducing activities even when the phone is switched off :) (possible since at least 2006 according to this website: http://www.schneier...._eavesd_1.html; also see http://www.theintern...hen-turned-off/)

Edited by Zombie

Hi Zombie,

Please consider this scenario. B eventually comes to the realization that his best source of information to locate Trevor is Kline. He gets his hands on him and takes him away for a little session of twenty questions. Part of the info he gets from Kline is the person covering and protecting Trevor is Officer Fowler. He and his office are in Carnarvon. I kind of doubt B is going to try anything directly with a law enforcement officer. But, how about some covert electronic surveillance, like Henry is using with Joel.

Consider the following. After I read the way everyone was being so careful not to mention place names on the phone, i laughed. The description given to Trevor by Greg Fowler and Martin Blake of how to approach and enter the Murchison River could have guided anyone listening directly to the Kookaburra.

That is my opinion

Marty

One thing to bear in mind: What's the reason for the phone security? Martin Blake summed it up pretty well in the final line in chapter 91:

Martin then said to his wife, “I hope the parts about the phone get the message across: don’t trust the phone anymore, and hopefully he’ll keep to that rule when talking to anyone in Florida.”

They know there's likely a leak in Florida. Their main concern isn't the calls being overheard in Australia, but to keep Trevor from spilling anything to anyone in Florida, by making him treat phone calls with great care. :-)

Manipulative, but well-intended. :-)

Ch91: Fowler’s call interrupted their meal, and Fowler told Trevor, “Martin told me your destination, but don’t say it on the phone. From now on, please don’t mention where you are or where you’re going over the phone, to anyone."

Ha! In the above example there was no reason for Fowler to tell Trev not to mention place names because it was a local call within Australia.

Surely the good guys, who are clearly personally concerned for Trev, would level with Trev and tell him about their specific fears and concerns about Florida so Trev can fully understand the possible deadly peril he and Shane are up against, not withhold key info. It doesn't make sense - except for you to misdirect us Posted Image

We know:

- you've made B a security expert for a story plot reason - you just haven't told us what that reason is so you can spring a nasty surprise on us

- you've told us B has a bag of electronic tricks but you haven't told us what he's got in it, or what it can be used for

- you are a slippery mis-director and cannot be trusted.

So we must therefore infer that the bag of tricks will have a key plot use. Marty suggests for covert surveillance of Fowler. Maybe. But I suspect it's also to help B track down Trev so he can hack off his head. The mobile phone bugging and tracking are possible (and "possibility" is all that's needed to get into a Goat tale). Your smiling assurance gives no comfort. You're up to something. Something bad Posted Image

• Site Moderator

Ha! In the above example there was no reason for Fowler to tell Trev not to mention place names because it was a local call within Australia.

I have to disagree with you. Who's to say Kline, or any other report, or anyone else for that matter, won't try to get more from Trevor by listening in or even trying to locate him.

As much as I hate to do this, I have to admit the Goat has done it again. He has manipulated the storyline so the various individuals, both the Good and Bad Guys, are dashing about, reacting to both real and imagined threats. The only person who clearly understands his goal is Basingstoke.

The Hitman is facing apparently formidable opposition by the Good Guys, who are arrayed to defend Trevor from attack. Unfortunately their analysis of the dangers has been split. They are defending an unthreatened target, Trevor’s Atlantis. They are rightfully attempting to protect Trevor. The scheme Greg Fowler created was well developed and deployed. It addressed the problems, as Greg understood them to be. Alas, Greg’s plan had faults he was unaware of. His use of Kline was brilliant and absolutely necessary. Because of his misconception, believing Trevor’s Atlantis could be the primary target, Fowler put his plan in motion. Greg considered the probability there would be hunters arriving in Carnarvon and has acted accordingly. He believes he has removed Trevor from immediate danger, while setting a trap using the catamaran as seemingly unprotected bait.

It is not only Officer Fowler who has under estimated the opposition. The law enforcement authorities in both Australia and Florida and every one of the Good Guys are reacting to perceived threats. Surprisingly it is Joel and maybe Lisa, who voiced the truth best, when they admitted to each other, they were totally confused.

Fowler has set his plan in motion and awaits any response from the Dark Side. One of two things may happen immediately. Basingstoke will be conducting a fact-finding mission in Carnarvon on Friday morning. The only information he will immediately learn is Trevor has apparently departed the immediate vicinity. He will no doubt hear about his advertised course and intended resumption of the interrupted circumnavigation. The presence of the Lagoon 55 in Ned’s boatyard will be of no interest to him. The Hitman had been informed, when the original contract was set up, to expect Trevor in Perth around the 23rd of December. It was only the very big increase in the fee, which Sanchez offered, that altered his plan to wait for the arrival of Joel.

Whatever the assassin knows and learns during his discussions on Friday, should point him toward Kline as the person with additional information. It is possible any interview occurring with Ned will put him, Ned, in the line of fire. So far, Basingstoke appears to be a person, who likes to maintain a position below the radar of law enforcement agencies. He could decide back off the immediate chase. This would require him to go into a holding pattern until Trevor emerges from hiding and arrives in Perth. For the most likely answer we need to consider facts not immediately apparent in the storyline.

The insidious Goat did not, I repeat, “Did Not,” create, develop and insert into this novel, this hired gun, without an impelling reason.

Sanchez, way back in Chapter 61 contacted his Australian counterparts to arrange for them to insure the elimination of Trevor. Sanchez needed for this to happen. The explanation he gave the Dark Duo addressed his warped sense of, “Honor.” The reality was also made known. Sanchez feared for his own life if the contract was not fulfilled. None of this addresses the real reason for the persona of the Hitman being activated at this time.

First of all, there are eight days until Dirk can speak regarding the events surrounding the Disappearance. No matter what he makes known, it will not immediately affect the drama being acted out in Australia. Trevor’s life has been threatened because of a misconception of Bridget’s. Even if and when she learns of what actually occurred almost ten years ago, will it change Trevor’s predicament? Hell no! Trevor has to die to protect Sanchez from his compatriots.

The Hitman is on the scene in Carnarvon now on Friday December 6th, 2006. He will learn, if he does not know already, Kline is the person most likely to know the information he needs, to locate and eliminate Trevor before Joel’s arrival. As I wrote earlier, the answer to Basingstoke’s decision lies not within the storyline, but outside it. It is part of the management of the storyline by The Goat. If the assassin decides to back off and wait Trevor’s surfacing in Perth, what will most likely occur? Trevor and Shane will enjoy themselves doing whatever Greg Fowler has planned. That is approximately two weeks away. Basingstoke will pass the time doing whatever assassins do to pass the time.

Does anyone reading this really believe, “The Goat,” will pass up the opportunity to create a scenario, which will, by its very nature, allow him to construct, CLIFFHANGERS? No, I believe CHJ inserted this Hitman, with all his equipment to permit him to fill the time until December 16th, when the majority of the secrets surrounding the Disappearance are revealed.

Would the Goat sacrifice one or more of the Good Guys to allow him to manufacture more cliffhangers? How many innocent victims died in LTMP, when his plot called for an atomic device to be detonated in Australia? Recall how he cruelly eliminated, “Jim, the biker. Sorry, I do not believe there is anyone safe from The Goats insatiable desire to fabricate Cliffhangers.

Edited by MartyS

Surely the good guys, who are clearly personally concerned for Trev, would level with Trev and tell him about their specific fears and concerns about Florida so Trev can fully understand the possible deadly peril he and Shane are up against, not withhold key info. It doesn't make sense - except for you to misdirect us Posted Image

We know:

- you've made B a security expert for a story plot reason - you just haven't told us what that reason is so you can spring a nasty surprise on us

- you've told us B has a bag of electronic tricks but you haven't told us what he's got in it, or what it can be used for

- you are a slippery mis-director and cannot be trusted.

So we must therefore infer that the bag of tricks will have a key plot use. Marty suggests for covert surveillance of Fowler. Maybe. But I suspect it's also to help B track down Trev so he can hack off his head. The mobile phone bugging and tracking are possible (and "possibility" is all that's needed to get into a Goat tale). Your smiling assurance gives no comfort. You're up to something. Something bad Posted Image

But Zombie... I'd never do anything bad! Posted Image

Fowler and Martin don't trust what's going on back in Florida, so they want to drum into Trevor's head: NEVER trust the phone or radio.

Now, regarding what kind of high tech gear Basingstoke would have; no worries, it's just stuff that fits in with his two careers (security gadgetry and killing). You asked what kind of gear would be needed to evesdrop on a phone... Much depends on the phone. An analog cellular phone is supremely easy; a simple scanner (often called a police scanner) will do. In the US you can't buy them with the ability to scan cellular freqencies, so you either get one from overseas or just chip the thing. It's quite easy.

Digital is a whole different ballgame. It's far more secure, because you need to know the algorithm used to reassemble the signal. Many cells today are digital, but in 2006, analog was far more common. A satellite phone is digital.

So, if analog cellular is used at either end of the conversation, eavesdropping via a scanner is easy, provided you're within a few miles. A cordless home phone is easier, though you need to be closer. This, btw, is why it's never a good idea to use a credit card over a wireless phone of any kind (including a cell) unless it's secure digital.

The long and the short of it is that phones are nowhere near as secure as most people think, so "not trusting the phone" for sensitive info is a pretty well-founded concern. :)

And BTW, I had nothing to do with Basingstoke's skills; I didn't pick him, Sanchez did, so blame him, not me!

I have to disagree with you. Who's to say Kline, or any other report, or anyone else for that matter, won't try to get more from Trevor by listening in or even trying to locate him.

There's been a large scandal in the UK regarding journalists hacking into phones. :)

As much as I hate to do this, I have to admit the Goat has done it again. He has manipulated the storyline so the various individuals, both the Good and Bad Guys, are dashing about, reacting to both real and imagined threats. The only person who clearly understands his goal is Basingstoke.

Look at the records for any real investigation when there were strong elements of doubt at first. They zig and they zag all over the place. People have parts right, parts wrong, and struggle to put together a solid case. :)

The insidious Goat did not, I repeat, “Did Not,” create, develop and insert into this novel, this hired gun, without an impelling reason.

Insidious? Sweet little me? Posted Image

Basingstoke might just be a plain old uninteresting background characther, like a store clerk, etc. We really don't know.

Does anyone reading this really believe, “The Goat,” will pass up the opportunity to create a scenario, which will, by its very nature, allow him to construct, CLIFFHANGERS? No, I believe CHJ inserted this Hitman, with all his equipment to permit him to fill the time until December 16th, when the majority of the secrets surrounding the Disappearance are revealed.

Yes, I really beleive that!!! I never use cliffhangers, so of course that's not why Basingstoke is there. Also, as is often said, one hit man does not a cliffhanger make! It was also, I need to point out, not me who sent basingstoke; sanchez did. And... there's not much time left to fill. We do skip ahead a few days here shortly. :)

Look at the records for any real investigation when there were strong elements of doubt at first. They zig and they zag all over the place. People have parts right, parts wrong, and struggle to put together a solid case.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you.

Insidious? Sweet little me?

Basingstoke might just be a plain old uninteresting background characther, like a store clerk, etc. We really don't know.

Yes, Insidious. Unfortunately most individual words that come to mind, that would be more accurate to describe you, would probably get censored by the GA Staff, even if they privately agreed with me.

Yes, I really believe that!!! I never use cliffhangers, so of course that's not why Basingstoke is there. Also, as is often said, one hit man does not a cliffhanger make! It was also, I need to point out, not me who sent Basingstoke; sanchez did. And... there's not much time left to fill. We do skip ahead a few days here shortly. Posted Image

Yes, I really believe that!!! I

Yes, you believe that. There seems to be a long, loud silence from any other readers to agree with you.

Also, as is often said, one hit man does not a cliffhanger make!

BY who? When? Where?

I need to point out, not me who sent Basingstoke; sanchez did.

Methinks, you had something to do with it

there's not much time left to fill. We do skip ahead a few days here shortly.

Finally a prophesy that might be fulfilled

Edited by MartyS

Now, regarding what kind of high tech gear Basingstoke would have; no worries, it's just stuff that fits in with his two careers (security gadgetry and killing). You asked what kind of gear would be needed to evesdrop on a phone... Much depends on the phone. An analog cellular phone is supremely easy; a simple scanner (often called a police scanner) will do. In the US you can't buy them with the ability to scan cellular freqencies, so you either get one from overseas or just chip the thing. It's quite easy.

Digital is a whole different ballgame. It's far more secure, because you need to know the algorithm used to reassemble the signal. Many cells today are digital, but in 2006, analog was far more common. A satellite phone is digital.

Are you sure that Analogue phones were still about in 2006? In the UK they vanished years before that. I bought my first mobile in 1997 and Analogue was on the way out then.

It survived longer in the US, I believe, because of the size of the country so it may well have hung on in Australia as well. From what I can remember, an analogue phone is basically a two-way radio so you can make a call on quite a poor signal if you're prepared to put up with the low quality. On a digital phone, the system will decide that the signal is not good enough and cut you off long before you'd probably give up on an analogue connection. The cellular system also limits the effective range of a mobile phone connection. The upshot is that in a small country like the UK, we switched to digital phones quite quickly whereas in the US they lasted longer. Not sure about Australia.

I remember looking for a phone to use on holiday to the US which uses different digital frequencies to the rest of the world and was amazed to see that I could still buy a dual analogue/digital phone there.

As an aside, one of the last strongholds of analogue mobiles in the UK was for workers on the North Sea oil and gas rigs. With an analogue phone they could get connections to masts on the shore whereas with digital phones they couldn't.

None of which, of course, alters the fact that for a very long time, everything Trevor said to Joel or Lisa on the landline in Bridget's guest house was being relayed directly to the bad guys via an old-fashioned bug. This, on its own, should justify the paranoia that Fowler et al are trying to instil into Trevor regarding phone security.

Edited by Low Flyer

</p>

Are you sure that Analogue phones were still about in 2006? In the UK they vanished years before that. I bought my first mobile in 1997 and Analogue was on the way out then.

Australian mobile phones were fully digital from September 2000 when the old analogue (AMPS) network was switched off:

https://sites.google.com/a/politicalscience.com.au/home/Home/chronologies/australian-chronology

Edited by Zombie

Wow, I had no idea the difference was that extreme. Analog cellular was still around in the US until at least 2008. I had a dual mode cell phone at that time.

Digital cellular takes far more to intercept: unless you have the algorithm, you can't use it. It can be done, but it takes a lot of tech and expertise. Otherwise, what you hear sounds very much like a fax machine.

Thanks, Low Flyer and Zombie!

Oh, and Marty; yes, "One hitman does not a cliffhanger make" has indeed been said often around here. Posted Image It's an offtake of what was said a lot when Atlantis had a bomb aboard: "One measly highly unstable bomb does not a cliffhanger make!"

Posted Image

I am having a problem with, Quotes," in using this new system.

It used to be I could paste something, highlight it, click the Quote button on the Tool-bar and the highlighted text would appear as a boxed unattributed quote in the posting. Now if I do it, the darn thing disappears.

Any assistance, advice or suggestions would be appreciated

Thanking you in advance.

Marty

Oh, and Marty; yes, "One hitman does not a cliffhanger make" has indeed been said often around here. Posted Image It's an offtake of what was said a lot when Atlantis had a bomb aboard: "One measly highly unstable bomb does not a cliffhanger make!"

Posted Image

I cannot say for sure and in all honesty, I am too lazy to spend the time doing the research to refute your statements' use of the word "often." Based on my recollection of previous posts, I think i can say with some degree of certainty, the number of readers defending your claim of never using Cliffhangers is vastly unnumbered by those readers, who rightfully proclaim you are the, King of Cliffhangers.

Using this maxim to guide me in responding to your post, "If such observations were indeed posted in this Forum, you were most likely the one to have done so."

Edited by MartyS

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..