Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation 93: What Goes Up....

"Many large pieces fell in the Esperance area, some weighting hundreds of pounds, though fortunately, no one was hurt. Heavier pieces would have travelled further, so it is a certainty that even bigger chunks of Skylab remain to be discovered, far inland in the outback."

I suspect the wily old ruminant cast his malevolent eyes on this page where (see chapter 19) his devious brain got the idea for his misdirecting title Posted Image

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4208/contents.htm

I suspect the wily old ruminant cast his malevolent eyes on this page where (see chapter 19) his devious brain got the idea for his misdirecting title Posted Image

http://history.nasa....08/contents.htm

Hrmm! Nope, I didn't get it from there, but that's a great link!!! I knew of Esperance's notoriety for Skylab's fall, and that's why I picked Esperance (out of several candidates on the Great Australian Bight) for Antarctic Star's home port. It just seemed to fit, especially with the garlic crusher arriving. :) I don't really know where the title came from, it just popped into my head (proving the old adage; nature abhors a vacuum). I did look up info for the fall of skylab, and though I don't think that's the page, it reads a heck of a lot like a couple of pages I saw.

Would that more pieces would fall into place at dizzying speeds like junk from space! Posted Image

Oh, they will. Posted Image Everything will be revealed, in a chapter called "Revelation". Actually, some big stuff gets revealed before that. And revelation will be... well, I won't say exactly when, but it's before the end of the 90's. Normally, never trust me when it comes to chapter number estimates (I utterly suck at it.) but in this case, you can, because it's already written. Posted Image

BTW, I hit send before finishing my reply to you in the comments section; Kookoburra arrived Thursday Night, the 7th. And it's the next chapter that has the date in it. (I did remember to add it, I just added it to the wrong one...)

Dec 17th 2006 was a Sunday, so during the coming story week (there's some days skipped) I do mention the day of the week, but not the date, until the 17th.

And.. the title of the coming chapter is "Red Sky at Morning".

BTW, no comments on Basingstoke now knowing about Kookaburra, and even having pictures?

I don't have a comment, but i am wondering about one thing. As a matter of fact this has been in the back of my mind for some time. I may have even mentioned it in one of my posts. The Kookaburra is a vessel that is available for charter. There are no doubt other boats also available in that area. It is a business. Trevor's Atlantis is also a charter yacht. He advertises on the Internet He also has or had printed material aboard regarding contact information. The people who were members of his Greek Charter took some of the available cards or maybe brochures when leaving.

Basingstoke found printed material which showed pictures of the Kookaburra. I can understand why it would not be advisable to show a picture of Trevor. He is a little on the young side. However, a photograph of a mature couple operating a charter business would be a plus, I would think. Unless of course, one of them has something to hide.

Oh, they will. Posted Image Everything will be revealed, in a chapter called "Revelation". Actually, some big stuff gets revealed before that. And revelation will be... well, I won't say exactly when, but it's before the end of the 90's. Normally, never trust me when it comes to chapter number estimates (I utterly suck at it.) but in this case, you can, because it's already written. Posted Image

BTW, I hit send before finishing my reply to you in the comments section; Kookoburra arrived Thursday Night, the 7th. And it's the next chapter that has the date in it. (I did remember to add it, I just added it to the wrong one...)

Dec 17th 2006 was a Sunday, so during the coming story week (there's some days skipped) I do mention the day of the week, but not the date, until the 17th.

And.. the title of the coming chapter is "Red Sky at Morning".

So 10 more days or so in Trevor time, I'm guessing at least 5 weeks in Goat time?

The title of the coming chapter also sounds ominous.

B'stoke is beyond malevolent in that he is cunning and a master of disguise as well. His cover as a dealer in security devices is so convenient. The fact that he knows about the "K" is scary. However, finding a well hidden boat even with a plane is still like looking for a needle in a haystack. They could be at sea, or in one of dozens of places along the coast in either direction, but most likely toward Perth. That is one large area with a lot of emptiness.

I know it with shepherds - "Red sky at night, shepherds' delight; red sky in the morning, shepherds' warning".

It's the same for sailors. No one quite knows where the proverb comes from, only that it is ancient.

Shakespeare used a variant in Venus and Adonis; “Like a red morn that ever yet betokened, Wreck to the seaman, tempest to the field, Sorrow to the shepherds, woe unto the birds, Gusts and foul flaws to herdmen and to herds.”

It may come from this; In the Bible, (Matthew XVI: 2-3,) Jesus said, “When in evening, ye say, it will be fair weather: For the sky is red. And in the morning, it will be foul weather today; for the sky is red and lowering.”

Reminds me of that old saying,

Red Sky at morning

Sailor take warning

Red Sky at Night

Sailors delight.

It's probably nothing to worry about though. :)

So 10 more days or so in Trevor time, I'm guessing at least 5 weeks in Goat time?

The title of the coming chapter also sounds ominous.

B'stoke is beyond malevolent in that he is cunning and a master of disguise as well. His cover as a dealer in security devices is so convenient. The fact that he knows about the "K" is scary. However, finding a well hidden boat even with a plane is still like looking for a needle in a haystack. They could be at sea, or in one of dozens of places along the coast in either direction, but most likely toward Perth. That is one large area with a lot of emptiness.

That cover is indeed convenient, which is why he uses it. If someone is worried that they have dangerous enemies, a security system sounds like a very good idea, and there's Basingstoke to help out. But mainly, it makes his travels around the country no cause for suspicion. :) Basingstoke is a pro. :) He can alter his appearance a bit, but in subtle ways. sometimes, that's very effective.

That coast is indeed mostly empty, just a few small towns scattered over a vast region. Some stretches, like from Shark Bay down to Kalbarri, have no viable anchorages; just the open ocean battering a rugged coast.

Less than 5 weeks. :)

Ominous? I don't see how... what could possibly go wrong? :)

It's probably nothing to worry about though. Posted Image

The Goat is doing it again. The key word in his response is, "probably."

Ominous? I don't see how... what could possibly go wrong? Posted Image

Whatever your warped mind can conjour up.

• Site Moderator

It's probably nothing to worry about though.

The Goat is doing it again. The key word in his response is, "probably."

After quickly reviewing the next chapter, I think he might be right this time.

Me, right? Never!! :P

Would you like to give everybody else a hint? or Maybe a Sneak Preview?

Well, I suppose that could be done... but I think I'll be obstinate and post the chapter instead. :P

After a thorough reading of Chapter 94,. i definately agree with your evaluation. The only question remaining is, "Why is The Goat, all of a sudden, telling the truth?" Who knows what evil lurks in the mind of CHJ.

Edited by MartyS

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..