Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

I don't know. I guess I was going by the whole, "let's bring back Brad's dead stepfather's son and hook him up with Brad's son!" deal that made it seem like the whole thing was going to be a soulmates deal. If Tony was a totally made-from-scratch character with no ties to the canvas I'd be more inclined to think you were going to set them up as just hook-up buds.

And good point, by the way. Up until my mid/late teens, I was pretty uptight and kind of repressed. Then I learned to be Mr. Cool Laidback College Guy. So I can see how they might not wind up control freaks after all.

I don't know. I guess I was going by the whole, "let's bring back Brad's dead stepfather's son and hook him up with Brad's son!" deal that made it seem like the whole thing was going to be a soulmates deal. If Tony was a totally made-from-scratch character with no ties to the canvas I'd be more inclined to think you were going to set them up as just hook-up buds.

Will is currently thinking dirty thoughts about almost every male character that isn't a member of his family, and even including a couple of them (John, Gathan, arguably Wade). For the most part, he's following those thoughts with actions, or trying. Offhand, the only character I think he skipped was JJ's bodyguard. I'm not looking for his soulmate any time soon, whatever he thinks is going on. He also has a rather distressing tendency towards drama and arrogance. In combination, well, I hope he grow out of it before he really hurts himself or someone else. That way he can enjoy being young, hung, and gorgeous properly.

Also, if Tony has made being on the down low work for him, and adopted a pretty laid back identity, he's going to stay away from Will. Either Will has to calm down (which is entirely possible), or Tony will have to "come out" as gay for their relationship to continue. And I didn't think Tony was gay. Is he?

Will is currently thinking dirty thoughts about almost every male character that isn't a member of his family, and even including a couple of them (John, Gathan, arguably Wade). For the most part, he's following those thoughts with actions, or trying. Offhand, the only character I think he skipped was JJ's bodyguard. I'm not looking for his soulmate any time soon, whatever he thinks is going on. He also has a rather distressing tendency towards drama and arrogance. In combination, well, I hope he grow out of it before he really hurts himself or someone else. That way he can enjoy being young, hung, and gorgeous properly.

Also, if Tony has made being on the down low work for him, and adopted a pretty laid back identity, he's going to stay away from Will. Either Will has to calm down (which is entirely possible), or Tony will have to "come out" as gay for their relationship to continue. And I didn't think Tony was gay. Is he?

I think Tony is struggling to avoid the answer to that question.

If I were going on how Tony is now, I think he'd be likely to go back to the St. Louis suburbs after graduation in '04, get married to a high school sweetheart from Catholic school, have kids before he's 25, and then have "fishing trips" with his best friend that he made from work. I'm not sure Will would fit in well with that. Of course, the character can change, but that's where I feel like his path would be right now if he doesn't change.

I do actually hope that Mark doesn't have Will settled down in a "soulmates" relationship like he had Brad and Robbie settled down in. It'd be more fun to see both Will and JJ play the field in their 20's rather than be in serious "we're meant to be together" relationships like he did with Brad/Robbie, and seems to be doing with Matt/Wade. Since it looks like Mark's going to do a story for every year in the 2000's instead of skipping over a few years, the story field needs to be keep more wide open.

Edited by methodwriter85

The fight was pretty great.

“How come you only get involved in my life when you want to bitch at me for doing something wrong? I’ll bet if I was perfect, I’d never see you,” I struck back, hitting Dad in one of his weakest spots.

“That’s not true!” he objected, going on the defense.

“No? Where were you last night when we were at the party? Did you even know we were gone?”

“You’re supposed to tell me when you go out.”

“Yeah. Should I send an e-mail to your personal assistant?” I asked. I was really going for the jugular.

Will's bit about being perfect made me think about JJ. JJ's entire life revolves around being the perfect little figure skater. Bitchy diva or not, he still pretty much follows all the rules and stays away from even the slightest bit of rebellion. As such, would Brad or Robbie even really pay attention to him? Why would you need to pay that much attention to a kid who pretty much always follows the rules and doesn't do anything that you'd need to get bothered about? I've never seen a scene where Robbie even interacted with JJ, and the one and only time Brad actually interacted one-on-one with JJ was back in December 1999 in Millenium. That'd be almost a year ago in CAP time. Jeanine's out of commission, Tiffany's gone, and JJ can only really be around Matt so often. The kid pretty much doesn't have any kind of support system.

I am so glad that Brad and Robbie are finally getting shit from their kids now that the dust's settled after the events of Millenum. They so deserve it.

Loved the new chapter of Paternity. The whole scene at the sorority house and then with Will and Tony were pitch perfect. Will standing up to and basically backing Carl down was classic. Carl seems really cowardly in a way I can't quite explain yet. I loved how Will handled Ryan the next morning. Will's fight with Brad was brilliantly staged as well. I do have to wonder what the whole backstory on Ryan's dad is; I mean it is obvious that he is a very bigoted person but is there more to it than that? I would think so. This was a great bridge chapter and is going to lead somewhere else.

• Like 1

Loved the new chapter of Paternity. The whole scene at the sorority house and then with Will and Tony were pitch perfect. Will standing up to and basically backing Carl down was classic. Carl seems really cowardly in a way I can't quite explain yet. I loved how Will handled Ryan the next morning. Will's fight with Brad was brilliantly staged as well. I do have to wonder what the whole backstory on Ryan's dad is; I mean it is obvious that he is a very bigoted person but is there more to it than that? I would think so. This was a great bridge chapter and is going to lead somewhere else.

I think that Will is secure because of who he is and who has his back, so an idiot like Carl wouldn't bother him. Besides, can you imagine what would happen to Carl if he actually started a fight with Will? They'd find him in a garbage dump, disemboweled.

At this point, Ryan is embarrassed by his father, and intrigued by Will.

Will loves to party and he comes by it naturally.

He does. It's in his blood.

• Like 1

He does. It's in his blood.

I'm assuming JJ won't see parties until he's about 18 or so. It'll be funny to see him get "corrupted". The kids who wait until they're in college to go crazy always tend to over-do it. Meanwhile, by the time Will actually hits college, I'm guessing he'll be over ragers. He'll be more of a, "let's throw a low-key bonfire party with a few intimate friends and get drunk while someone plays the guitar" kind of party guy, while I'm seeing JJ as a New York City club kid once he's past caring about looking pristine. Will's going to be all, "been there, done that" at 21, while JJ's going to trying hard to make up for lost time.

Kinda like my friend Stoner Stever. He was so over college parties by junior year, and meanwhile I was doing everything I could to keep up that 19-year old college freshmen excitement about parties.

Over in the Reviews, Mark wrote:

You're right. Consistency. It's one of the things this millennial generation craves.

Are you saying you and your Generation Jones co-horts (i.e. The Kevin Arnold "Dazed and Confused" generation) didn't expect your parents to be consistent in how they parented? Really? I thought that would be a classic expectation, not a generational one.

Edited by methodwriter85

Okay, Damn, why do I think after reading the last chapter that Wade could tie me up, fuck me, hurt me, and really make me like it?????? He maybe channeling his mother but damn, he is proving to be his own man. Between how he handled Carl and how he talked and interacted with Brad, you can just tell that Wade is really coming into his own.

I really thought the scene with Matt talking to and holding Riley, with Wade and then Tiffany looking on was just perfect. Matt finally seems to be understanding Wade's feelings and thoughts, of course with a little help from Wade himself....

I can't wait for Wade's date with Sean, in the mood he is in, DAMN, anything might happen...

• Like 1

Okay, Damn, why do I think after reading the last chapter that Wade could tie me up, fuck me, hurt me, and really make me like it?????? He maybe channeling his mother but damn, he is proving to be his own man. Between how he handled Carl and how he talked and interacted with Brad, you can just tell that Wade is really coming into his own.

I really thought the scene with Matt talking to and holding Riley, with Wade and then Tiffany looking on was just perfect. Matt finally seems to be understanding Wade's feelings and thoughts, of course with a little help from Wade himself....

I can't wait for Wade's date with Sean, in the mood he is in, DAMN, anything might happen...

I'm glad you think that. I think that. Posted Image

These two guys are maturing, which is normal in the latter half of the undergraduate college years. Wade's a little ahead of Matt, but Matt's getting there. Like I said before, what's neat about these two is that they don't normally have the massive communication problems that some of the other guys (like Brad and Robbie) have had. They generally get what the other one is thinking and feeling; they just may not agree with it.

This is a fun storyline. It gives me some room for Wade to get a little slutty. Just a little.

• Like 1

Mark - how much do you charge for early chapter previews Posted Image LOL

Trust me, you don't want to know.

Wade in this chapter convinced me he's going to be a pretty good dad, which makes sense. I think he'd be determined to be a much better parent than his parents were. Then there's Matt determined that Riley won't end up a nerd. Now you got me wondering what Riley would be like at 11...lol. I'm really hoping that Matt,Wade, and Tiffany as parents won't be as self-indulgent as Brad, Robbie, and Jeanine were. I get the feeling that Tiffany would be determined to keep Riley grounded and not turn into a spoiled brat, which both Will and JJ can turn into at times. Both Will and JJ don't really seem to understand the word "no." I'm hoping that Riley's going to be better than that.

The bit where Tiffany says she's got one baby to worry about...she's definitely not seeing Maddy as hers, is she? Interesting.

Edited by methodwriter85

In my review of the latest chapter I agreed with the posted review by Torontotop and Mark replied: "Look at you. Some guy says he's a top and you automatically agree with him. :-)"

I guess Mark has me all figured out! My true inclination is to be contrarian when I'm not being cloyingly agreeable. Concerning the chapter, Wade is interesting but too anal retentive for me, while Brad is too controlling. The CAP series is filled with annoyingly realistic inconsistent people who think and also think with their dicks.

Just my cup of tea. Anything too predictable, ordinary or conventional wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

I really liked this chapter. Wade is HOT when he's being dangerous.

We need to see more of this!!!!

Mark - how much do you charge for early chapter previews Posted Image LOL

A threesome with you and Paya will get you as many previews as you want. Posted Image

Trust me, you don't want to know.

Wade in this chapter convinced me he's going to be a pretty good dad, which makes sense. I think he'd be determined to be a much better parent than his parents were. Then there's Matt determined that Riley won't end up a nerd. Now you got me wondering what Riley would be like at 11...lol. I'm really hoping that Matt,Wade, and Tiffany as parents won't be as self-indulgent as Brad, Robbie, and Jeanine were. I get the feeling that Tiffany would be determined to keep Riley grounded and not turn into a spoiled brat, which both Will and JJ can turn into at times. Both Will and JJ don't really seem to understand the word "no." I'm hoping that Riley's going to be better than that.

The bit where Tiffany says she's got one baby to worry about...she's definitely not seeing Maddy as hers, is she? Interesting.

I think a smart parent adapts his/her style to the child.

In my review of the latest chapter I agreed with the posted review by Torontotop and Mark replied: "Look at you. Some guy says he's a top and you automatically agree with him. :-)"

I guess Mark has me all figured out! My true inclination is to be contrarian when I'm not being cloyingly agreeable. Concerning the chapter, Wade is interesting but too anal retentive for me, while Brad is too controlling. The CAP series is filled with annoyingly realistic inconsistent people who think and also think with their dicks.

Just my cup of tea. Anything too predictable, ordinary or conventional wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

LOL. I have a lot of interesting people in my life with a lot of issues. They make great fodder for characters.

• Like 1

I have to agree with Mark about this, I do think that Wade and to a slighly lesser extent Matt are both really coming into their own. My experience is that most men seem to start coming into their own during the last year or two of college or around mid twenties without college. I do think that women in general come into their own a couple of years earlier but that is another topic for another forum.

Matt loves Wade more than anything and although he doesn't seem as mature and together as Wade, he will keep pace to some extent because he won't want Wade to outgrow him. If you don't grown within the relationship, you will usually lose the relationship.

• Like 2

I have to agree with Mark about this, I do think that Wade and to a slighly lesser extent Matt are both really coming into their own. My experience is that most men seem to start coming into their own during the last year or two of college or around mid twenties without college. I do think that women in general come into their own a couple of years earlier but that is another topic for another forum.

Matt loves Wade more than anything and although he doesn't seem as mature and together as Wade, he will keep pace to some extent because he won't want Wade to outgrow him. If you don't grown within the relationship, you will usually lose the relationship.

True words...you have to grow in the relationship.

I think it was over the top of Wade to force Carl out of Stanford and will probably come back to bite him. Getting him off the team would have been enough.

I think it is cool Matt wants to be a buffer for Riley. Matt and Wade remind me of the parents of Logainne Schwartzandgrubenierre in the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. One father is the sweet, supportive one, the other is the A type perssonality always pushing. While Wade may not be a strictly A type, the nattiness and anal retentive aspects are a part of it.

I think men "come into their own" usually well after college and for gay men, sometimes never. What changes and matures your average straight man seems to be marriage and fatherhood. When you get married, you don't hang with your single friends as much, you tend to gravitate to your friends in the same stage as life.

It will be interesting to see where Wade puts his money. Hopefully he throws $50m, a relatively small percent of his money, into a double tax free portfolio. That would bring over $2m a year, $166,000 a month, with no taxes.

I think it was over the top of Wade to force Carl out of Stanford and will probably come back to bite him. Getting him off the team would have been enough.

I think it is cool Matt wants to be a buffer for Riley. Matt and Wade remind me of the parents of Logainne Schwartzandgrubenierre in the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. One father is the sweet, supportive one, the other is the A type perssonality always pushing. While Wade may not be a strictly A type, the nattiness and anal retentive aspects are a part of it.

I think men "come into their own" usually well after college and for gay men, sometimes never. What changes and matures your average straight man seems to be marriage and fatherhood. When you get married, you don't hang with your single friends as much, you tend to gravitate to your friends in the same stage as life.

It will be interesting to see where Wade puts his money. Hopefully he throws $50m, a relatively small percent of his money, into a double tax free portfolio. That would bring over $2m a year, $166,000 a month, with no taxes.

Not quite, on the taxes part. There's AMT to worry about.

I think Carl was asking for it. He played with the big boys, and got smacked down.

Not quite, on the taxes part. There's AMT to worry about.

Actually, the AMT should only apply to private activity bonds issued by states or municipalities. You can avoid the AMT altogether if you invest properly, otherwise no one would ever go for the lower yield on munis.

I don't think marriage and kids mature a man at all. I have seen way to many men get married or father a child thinking it will help them grow up and it never does. My experience is that most men start coming into their own in their early to mid twenties, I do think that those that go to college to start a little earlier than those that do not. I never said they were mature at that age, just that they started coming into their own and they tend to know themselves better. I actually think that most gay men are more mature than straight ones, I think all the shit that a lot of gay men have to go through make them grow up and matue at a much faster rate than straights. Most of the perpetual child like men that I have known are straight, even the ones with kids and a wife...

Actually, the AMT should only apply to private activity bonds issued by states or municipalities. You can avoid the AMT altogether if you invest properly, otherwise no one would ever go for the lower yield on munis.

Very good. Posted Image

I don't think marriage and kids mature a man at all. I have seen way to many men get married or father a child thinking it will help them grow up and it never does. My experience is that most men start coming into their own in their early to mid twenties, I do think that those that go to college to start a little earlier than those that do not. I never said they were mature at that age, just that they started coming into their own and they tend to know themselves better. I actually think that most gay men are more mature than straight ones, I think all the shit that a lot of gay men have to go through make them grow up and matue at a much faster rate than straights. Most of the perpetual child like men that I have known are straight, even the ones with kids and a wife...

I understand your points, but I think it's almost impossible to generalize about this. Men are unique beasts. I think that any one of those events could have a profound maturing effect on a man, or no effect at all.

Men are unique beasts. I think that any one of those events could have a profound maturing effect on a man, or no effect at all.

We're seeing that within the story. The arrival of Riley has made Wade want to mature into a better man. The arrival of Madison made Cody whoop a little bit, and then go back to his circuit boi Hollywood parties. He doesn't seem all that interested in being a father, which suits his character.

If you're going through with the idea of following these characters throughout every year of the 2000's, we'll have to see more of JJ, Will, and John growing up and turning into men, and it'll be interesting to see what paths they take. My guess would be Will being like Wade and eager to become a mature, more settled person by his mid-20's; meanwhile I see JJ wanting to make up for his lost childhood by going really hard at partying when he's in his early/mid-20's. I see the dude getting dragged kicking and screaming into adulthood. LOL.

Edited by methodwriter85

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..