Gay Marriage? How about interracial?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/kentucky-church-bans-interracial-marriage-150009470.html

Unfortunately, I have family members who (vast majority) believes in specific (your own race) race marriages... and a bad experience as a witness to someone who broke this "rule." Unfortunately, this just shows gay marriage stills got bounds of time and length to cover too be fully accepted or tolerated if interracial marriage is still a problem...

Not meant to be a political discussion as I'm sure every one of us (or is certain majority of us) are in the same boat for ours and others marriage equality. I just wanted to share this appalling news to everyone. Honestly, I would have thought it'd happen in Mississippi, but Kentucky ain't a bad guess either.

• Like 1

Seriously? People actually voted for that? I'd love to hear a reason. I mean I know there's at least one line in the bible that talks about gays being evil (along with a huge ass list of other things) but where does it say anything about interracial marriage?

And why is it the Baptists that always go crazy about who's sleeping with who? First the WBC and now this guy? I vote that Baptists replace Catholics as the religious bad guys in the gay stories that need one from now on.

Seriously? People actually voted for that? I'd love to hear a reason. I mean I know there's at least one line in the bible that talks about gays being evil (along with a huge ass list of other things) but where does it say anything about interracial marriage?

And why is it the Baptists that always go crazy about who's sleeping with who? First the WBC and now this guy? I vote that Baptists replace Catholics as the religious bad guys in the gay stories that need one from now on.

Just because one calls themselves Baptists (or anything else of that matter) doesn't mean they are. I don't think any Baptist would consider the WBC to represent Baptist beliefs. Just as no Catholic would consider the St. Benedictans as representative of Catholic beliefs.

Be careful how you paint an entire group from such a small and not so representative sample. Religious, or otherwise.

• Like 1

I agree with Matt, no point in blowing this out of proportion: 9 voters against interracial married couples among a congregation of 40 regular members...Using the term "Church" makes it sound like it has a nation-wide impact.

That said, the decision is utterly stupid and stinks of 19th century standards, as Bill points out.

• Site Administrator

The ignorant will always show their true colors, as it were. Honestly, I think as a society, Americans tend to be way too involved in what other people are doing in their love lives. Relationships, sex, and marriage should all be equal regardless of sexuality or skin color. They are all personal decisions that shouldn't be anyone's business but those involved unless someone is being hurt who doesn't want to be. Live and let live is my philosophy because I don't want to be judged so why should I get to judge anyone else?

• Like 2

These people aren't part of the Southern Baptist Convention which is what most people think of when they hear the word "Baptist". This is one of those tiny, crazy churches in KY which has a few including the snake handlers. Even in this small church, I think it has 40 families in it, the pastor has been dismissed and they are going to reconsider the vote.

Please note the outcry from other religious leaders in KY about how outrageous they thought this church's action was. Please also note that the original vote to say that the church didn't condone interracial marriage was 9-6. The church's new pastor says they will vote again and he expects a different outcome this time.

KY Church Pastor Seek Reversal

The opinion of 15 people has become national and international news?

I just dont understand those people, so the couple is interracial! Who gives a flying monkey! *sigh* How on earth does it effect anyone else in any way shape of form if two people decide to get married! Gah!

Sorry, moronic people make me angry :D