How Do You Write A Story?

I tried to start my story with an outline, and I even made one. Now that I'm writing the story, I'm not following the outline at all. It might become a problem for me soon.

I also don't have an editor, as anyone who has read the story can plainly see. I've recently downloaded YRead, so maybe that will do the trick.

I guess I'm a little different. I have characters come to me, asking me to tell their story. I'm merely trying to coax the details out of them. :)

My favorite fiction is following interesting characters around through pivotal times in their lives. From the epic fantasy to historical fiction to contemporary literature, you're nothing without your characters.

Yes, sometimes in the short story the plot is the driving force, such as "The Last Question" by Asimov or the encounters section on Nifty. However, how many unique premises are there? Not many, from what I've seen! However, characters are what make a situation unique. Run five sets of three characters through a situation, and you will have five different endings. That's why conflicts don't have to be unique -- just characters.

But it all depends on how you want to write.

:D Here's another twopenneth... :lol:

If you want to write, to start with, just imagine the situation that interests you and go for it. You can worry about the tidying up and editing after.... What's more important is that you find out if you CAN write; can keep it interesting for someone else to read; can keep it to the point to start with.

You can do all the fancy bits afterwards if you have a basis of a good story there. You need to feel comfortable that what you've written is what people want, so yes, get a friend or two to read it, or post it here for a frank opinion. And do make sure you get a frank opinion. No use someone saying 'well it's not bad...' if it's bloody awful. Just gives you false hopes. However if it IS a first try then allowances should be made.

Goodluck!! B)

Well, I have never written a erotic story or even anything coming close to having gay lovers in a story.

But when I write, I like to free flow. I don't put too many boundaries on my stories. I only create 3 things in advance;

3 characters (I write long stories so instead of having 1 main character I normally have 3)

Than I create a outline for those 3 characters. Here I do go into alot of details. I basicly write down there entire life. From major events like deaths, to details about scars they have and how they got them. I also write a psychological piece on them. How they would react to certain situations and all.

Than you already have a good start. Now you are gonna need conflict. I try just to give a little information on the conflict. The conflict evol's throughout my stories and sometimes in the end, I have even given a twist to it all.

The last thing I always have trouble with are places. Get your places straight (no pun intended). Let the places have meaning to the story, fill there surroundings up. Give it all life.

I just need those 3 things and all the other things come to mind as i'm typing. But I am like Myr and can remember small details when I write, so its never bad to keep a little notes section when your writing. That way you can look up like how many people your character estimated were at the party, when they are all trying to leave.

- ClosetReader

BTW: I do really want to write romance(gay) stories. But until I have my own laptop or a place with more privacy, I won't be able to. Good luck to all who write and those who are trying to learn. :D

• 1 month later...

Personally, I start each chapter with a basic plan of how I want it to go, then about 15 lines into it the charactors take over and go whereever they want!

Ted Louis and I have a running joke about the "Add-a-Kid" disease that runs rampant in Memories - just when I think things are settling down, the main charactors pull another 1,2,or 4 kids into the mix, with another situation to respond to.

An outline is a great idea, but do not let it strangle your story. You might get a few extra chapters out of side trips, but they usually flesh out the story immensely!

• 1 month later...

We're in the same boat as aspiring writers. What I try to avoid is overloading on exposition for my story in the first chapter or so. I've read stories like that and it gets one off to a dull start. Split up the background info if necessary and integrate it into dialogue or some other form.

I get story ideas from the randomest places sometimes, like this recent article in New York magazine that suddenly gave me the foundation for somethiign I'm working on now. Avoid repetive sentence structure and not including enough details sometimes "detaches" the reader. I can't tell you how many times I catch myself doing that.