What Universe Would You Like To Write In?

I've been sorely tempted to write a FanFic for Star Wars set in the Legends Era of Star Wars: The Old Republic.

I started one based on Star Trek Online but stopped after Cryptic started sending C&D Letters to people using their IP for FanFics. Which is surprising, with the number of Role-Playing guilds that are on the PC version of STO, and the fact they have a Fully Kitted Starbase, and all the other Fleet holdings dedicated to Role-Play. And they write FanFics all the time.

I know Disney, is a bit more forgiving when it comes to FanFic.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

I've been enjoying some odd crossovers lately.  There are some really good Game of Thrones/ Harry Potter crossovers out there.

I've dabbled in some short story HP crossovers, that I haven't shared.  Harry Potter/Mass Effect.  Harry Potter/Twilight.  Harry Potter/Marvel Cinematic Universe.  Harry Potter/Game of Thrones.  None of them will come to anything, except my own amusement though.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm having fun playing around in the Witcher universe at the moment. Cause I can't believe Geralt isn't at least a little bit gay.

How does Harry Potter/Mass Effect work, @Myr? That one has me genuinely curious. Is it Shepard at Hogwarts or Harry in space?

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 3
  • Site Administrator
1 hour ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Harry in space?

Harry in space... as Master of Death.

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator
26 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

I literally just found a ME/HP crossover on AO3,

Sifshadowheart on AO3 is an exceptional writer.  She bounces over all sorts of crossovers.  She has solid, engaging writing.  I mean, she has a Harry Potter/Transformer story called Sparked by Design.  It's still in process.  Her muse bounces all over the place.

My favorite story by her though is Tomb of First Men.  It's a Harry Potter/Game of Thrones crossover.  https://archiveofourown.org/works/6857026/chapters/15651379

I also really like the Alex Rider world that Anthony Horowitz created.  And I love the Valdemar world that Mercedes Lackey created. @dkstories fanfiction Tests of Blood is a favorite that really inhabits that world:

I have some draft things written there that will probably come out some day.

• Love 2
On 10/24/2018 at 1:55 AM, BHopper2 said:

I've been sorely tempted to write a FanFic for Star Wars set in the Legends Era of Star Wars: The Old Republic.

I started one based on Star Trek Online but stopped after Cryptic started sending C&D Letters to people using their IP for FanFics. Which is surprising, with the number of Role-Playing guilds that are on the PC version of STO, and the fact they have a Fully Kitted Starbase, and all the other Fleet holdings dedicated to Role-Play. And they write FanFics all the time.

I know Disney, is a bit more forgiving when it comes to FanFic.

I am quite surprised to hear that these guys don't allow fanfiction ... Even on FF.net, I know there is a pretty short list of authors who don't like the idea of others playing around with their characters. Most are cool with it. It is, after all, free publicity. I know for sure that I watched or read certain anime/manga series after I got in contact with some quite active fandoms. But I guess that, when you're this big, you don't really care (I suppose).

In my experience as a fanfic writer, I haven't encountered this problem, but it is true that my interest is placed on Japanese, Korean, and Chinese web comics, manga, anime ... And in Japan, and not only, fandoms have taken for a lot of time, a life of their own. Doujinshi - which is a pretty vague term, but does incorporate fandom works, be it in writing, drawing, manga format - is sort of a market in Japan, meaning that amateurs who gain traction for their fandom works can even sell copies for a small profit. Of course, the number of copies is limited, and the selling part happens at conventions and other events. But still, that's like light years away from what happens in the Western world.

Although, I know that at some point, Amazon wanted to make this a profitable venue, with something that was called Kindle Worlds, if I recall correctly. But making a profit from such derivative works must have been a veritable can of worms because they closed it (and guess that never got really lifted off the ground, as a project). 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Laura S. Fox said:

I am quite surprised to hear that these guys don't allow fanfiction ... Even on FF.net, I know there is a pretty short list of authors who don't like the idea of others playing around with their characters. Most are cool with it. It is, after all, free publicity. I know for sure that I watched or read certain anime/manga series after I got in contact with some quite active fandoms. But I guess that, when you're this big, you don't really care (I suppose)

I looked into the C&D letters, and it turns out the people that they were sent too, were self-publishing the stories with cover art taken from the game and selling it for $0.99 a pop.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

I looked into the C&D letters, and it turns out the people that they were sent too, were self-publishing the stories with cover art taken from the game and selling it for $0.99 a pop.

Oh, that changes things. Since making a profit enters any work in a different sort of world (dominated by well crafted legalese).

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I like writing in, Dragon Age: Origins.

I would like to do Harry Potter, but I'd need to re-read the whole series again (there are worse things in the world for sure.. lol). 

Twilight - but I'd have to again, re-read the series and that one would be a bit more difficult because I found so much that I didn't really like about the story progression later in the book series. 

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...

I think writing in the 40k verse would be interesting. It's so expansive and flexible that you can basically do what you want with it so long as you don't go near the central canon of it. I've had a story bouncing around in my head about a newbie commissar and an initiate Space Marine from a chapter that got destroyed before he could complete the conversion process. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I've had a thought or two about writing fan fiction. No more than that. I'll never forgive those sparkly damned vampires for naming their shit "Twilight" and forcing me to rename one of my best stories.

If I did write fan-fic, I would write in David Weber's Honorverse ( https://honorverse.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page )

It's a big, meaty universe Weber created for his Honor Harrington series of books he just completed. We think. AT twenty-something books, there's always room for more.

I'm less drawn to play on other writers imaginary playgrounds and, more interested in building my own. It's a LOT of work. Try naming planets. Then names its geographic features. Then cities, towns, etc. How long has it been settled? Who lives there? There is always politics and is there a notable history to the place? You can easily get lost in the effort but, if you look at authors that have successfully managed to figure out the right balance of world building and writing, the proof is in the pudding.

One of the most successful world builders ever was JRR Tolkien. His Middle Earth was complete with history, geography, languages and even mythology.

I'm not dissing fan-fiction. It's just not something I want to do. Use it to learn the craft and then, build your own worlds.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 3/7/2021 at 2:15 PM, jamessavik said:

If I did write fan-fic, I would write in David Weber's Honorverse ( https://honorverse.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page )

It's a big, meaty universe Weber created for his Honor Harrington series of books he just completed. We think. AT twenty-something books, there's always room for more.

It's beginning to look as though the story will never be completed, because Weber has too many irons in the fire, so there are plenty of opportunities to propose endings we'd like to see.  Not only that, but his characters tend to be resolutely heterosexual, and it would be really nice to fix that.  I had hoped at one point to see Alistair McKeown and Tomás Ramírez get it on, but it was not to be.

• Haha 1

My favorite Sci-Fi universe, if I were to write a fanfic, would be Expanse Series

The show opened me to the books and I enjoy it. The characters are set in a realistic 24th century, kind of the counterpoint to Star Trek. The concept is intrastellar within our solar system, not interstellar with humans being factional, and the aliens who can travel between stars are so far beyond us, it's laughable that we try to interpret their technology.

As the character of James Holden said in the books when talking about the advanced proto-molecule, a cool piece of living tech, Humans are like apes playing with a microwave, we can see how it works and want to be able to heat our foods in the magic box, but our minds are too simple, knowledge of tools too basic, and behavior too primal to comprehend circuitry or the concept of radiation.

Plus the universe is already sexually fluid, poly relationship have been around for centuries so same sex/mix gender/non-linear family units are common; strong bisexual characters like Drummer sells me on the idea even further (there's something about a strong bi/lesbian female character with masculine traits since the days of Babylon 5 Susan Ivanova that is fun to see). The intra-personal stories are just as fun as the grand space opera of human factions fighting for resources or the universal opera of advanced alien civilizations with aims/goals so far beyond our comprehension, it is both inspiring and terrifying to think of how small we truly are.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Growing up, there has been one universe that has stood out among the rest. I would absolutely love to tackle a journey in the Pokemon world! My fingers are begging for the challenge. Imagine writing a description for a Grimer, or suspense of an Electrode rolling towards you with its cheeky grin! I think I'll add this to my growing "to-do list."

• Like 1

I started a Star Trek one, but I've too many ideas in my head and it's fallen to the wayside. I do seem to recall reading an HP fanfic by @Myr and I'm wondering if it's time to start bugging him about that again...:-)

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

@Dabeagle, I do need to work more on that and finally finish it.  It's been in my head a lot lately.  I need to wrap up that chapter of my life, so to speak, and move on to new and better things... like Harry Potter Crossovers. lol

Actually, after I complete HP POD, I will likely stick to posting only my original stuff.  But I DO plan to finish it. finally.

• Love 1
  • 1 month later...

I got sucked into Supernatural (the TV show) fanfiction a while back. I love Destiel (Dean/Castiel), but a lots of the fanfiction on AO3 is nothing but smut, which gets really old (and gross) after a while. I started my own Destiel fanfiction (smut free) because I wanted to write about them as mature adult (gay/bi) men with their own emotional lives. The Supernatural universe also seemed like a good vehicle to explore some religious themes of interest to me. Jesus shows up, and he is gay.

• Like 1
On 5/15/2021 at 1:29 AM, cehammock said:

I got sucked into Supernatural (the TV show) fanfiction a while back. I love Destiel (Dean/Castiel), but a lots of the fanfiction on AO3 is nothing but smut, which gets really old (and gross) after a while. I started my own Destiel fanfiction (smut free) because I wanted to write about them as mature adult (gay/bi) men with their own emotional lives. The Supernatural universe also seemed like a good vehicle to explore some religious themes of interest to me. Jesus shows up, and he is gay.

Whoever decided to add Castiel to the show has my gratitude forever.  Before he came in, nearly all M/M Supernatural fanfic was Wincest.  

• Love 1
22 hours ago, CassieQ said:

Whoever decided to add Castiel to the show has my gratitude forever.  Before he came in, nearly all M/M Supernatural fanfic was Wincest.  

Wincest is kind of weird. Dean and Cas are so perfect for each other.

I am working on a Wincest story, but its not our Sam and Dean, but AU Sam and Dean from 15x13. I think they need their own love story. Neither Castiel or Baby seem to exist in their universe. And they were kind of effeminate and prissy. In Hunter Corp. world, Wincest seems to be acceptable. :D Lots of Fluff; light on Smut.

AU Sam and Dean 6.jpg

Edited by cehammock
On 5/15/2021 at 1:29 AM, cehammock said:

but a lots of the fanfiction on AO3 is nothing but smut, which gets really old (and gross) after a while.

True, and I eventually realized that gay men are not intended to be part of the readership of the M/M fics, so I got bummed off for that reason, as well.