[Adam Phillips] Crosscurrents, Chapter 33

After waaaaay too long a delay, I've finally posted Chapter 33 of Crosscurrents:

As Andy begins his senior year, and as he ends it, he runs into some difficulties. Can he balance love, school, sports, and plans for the future?

Go check it out. Posted Image

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I know. Posted Image You know what they say about the road to hell.

There are basically three scenes in the next chapter. It's not going to be super long. I've written one of them.

I just got back from vacationing in Florida and should have some time to give to getting that chapter finished.

Sorry for the delay.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just found the forums! lol I don't really venture past the "latest story updates" page, so this is a treat for me.

Anyway....just wanted to say that I will wait for however long it takes you to update. Maybe not patiently, but I will wait. lol Like I have a choice....

"Crosscurrents" is one of the best stories I have ever read and I always look forward to the next installment. =)

Thanks, Lisa. Like most of the authors at this site, I do this writing for free and for "fun," more or less, and unfortunately, as important as it is to me, it's the last item in a long list of things that are important to me, so there have been long periods where I just couldn't get to it.

I don't rush through the writing of a chapter. I want not only to tell a story, but to pay attention to the quality of the prose as well. I can't really give it what it needs unless I have blocks of relaxed time where I can settle in and say it like it needs to be said.

Nevertheless, it's been far too long in the telling. Crosscurrents is heading toward being a decade old. It's time to get it done.

Stay tuned this month.

• 2 months later...

I created an account just so I could come share my anguish at waiting. I'm not a patient man, but I'm trying really hard.

Seriously though, I'll wait as long as it takes you, and I respect your process while recognizing the things in life that can derail the best laid schemes of mice and men.

I really feel your characters' pain. I'm gay, but my partner of ten years and I broke up for two years, and Andy's anguish (as we saw it) was very familiar, even though I mentally cast myself in the Matt role of "waiting for the love of my life to get his shit together, stop hurting both of us, and remember that we were happier together even in bad times than we were apart in good ones." I'm lucky (or persistent and more of a badger than Matt) in that we reunited four yrs ago TODAY, coincidentally my birthday, and married a year ago, so I know some of these meandering paths end up where they should. Nevertheless, I'm stuck in the limbo of dramatic tension of Andy preventing himself from being happy and wanting to shake the studly soccer player out of his self-defeating crap.

Thank God I only found the story last week. Cliffhanger pauses of long duration nearly anywhere before the last few, more stable, chapters would have killed me. They'd have done killt me to death.

Thanks again. Great stuff, powerfully told, without much cliche beyond life's own tendency to happen according to certain eternal patterns. Dare I say, to follow established currents? I want to see the boys have their cake and eat it too. I want to see them happy, but I know there's a lot of work that goes into making that end believable and earned.

Finally, as a former English teacher and sometime writer, thank you so much for writing a literate story with subtle characterization, organic development, messy situations, realistic voices, and occasionally stupid asshole tendencies in the main characters. I get sick of reading about queer saints with one perfect tear on a turned-away cheek.

Ok, really done now. Please finish quickly. It really is my birthday. It would make a great present. But take as long as you need. What? I'm not allowed to have two motives at the same time?

• 1 month later...