The 2012 Olympics

He could have retired at his peak, but eh- he decided to go for the record, and he pulled it off. Why begrudge him that? It's like a nice victory lap and a thank-you to all his fans. It's not like Michael's embarrassing himself- he's just not the dominant beast he was in 2008.

Anyway, Conor Dwyer. Hell, yes. He so looks like a preppy frat boy.

Posted Image

And let's also hear it for Team USA taking gymnastics for the first time since 1996!

Posted Image

I remember the '96 Olympics, so it was cool to see Team USA stand on the top of the podium again.

Edited by methodwriter85

Posted Image

Well done Chad le Clos! Gotta say I was moved by his emotion on the podium as his lower lip wobbled and tears began to flow

Posted Image

Michael Phelps is his hero - I can't imagine how he must have felt at that moment. And Phelps was so gracious in defeat, staying with Chad and showing him "how it's done" afterwards with the press and public. But Chad is a serious hottie Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think I'm in love ... Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Zombie

I was looking at the metal count and it looked like to me that there are more countries that have not won a single metal then there are countries that have one at least one metal.

Phelps shoulda quit after Beijing.

Somewhere, Tyler Clary smirks.

Yeah, good call Y_B. The guy's completely washed up. What a national embarrassment ...

London 2012

Gold -100m butterfly

Gold - 200m Individual Medley

Gold - 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay

Silver - 100m butterfly

Silver - 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay

Still to race - 4x100m relay

Phelps has just gone to flab, flapping around like a drowning gutbucket ...

Posted Image

And his poor Mum, the shame and humiliation ... Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh, and Tyler Clary? Um, that would be one medal (gold). Still pretty impressive but is that a smirk on his face or a look of wonder? Posted Image

• Like 1

He did better than I expected, I'll give him that. Clary...not that I took what he said completely to heart...but you know, when you talk about how someone hasn't been training hard and then that someone comes out with a 0-3 start, it's easy to look back at Clary and go "hmmm"

And even as a swimmer, i was never a Phelps fan. I don't know...it's weird.

Edited by Y_B

But Banger is just applying Helicopter parenting to degrade Phelps into winning Golds :P

Look like the US and China are neck in neck with the US finally taking the lead in Golds 21-20 and overall 43-42

Well, if Michael sticks to his word and does compete at the Rio Olympics in 2016, then he finishes his career with a total of 22 medals, 18 of which are gold. I now I won't live long enough to see anyone else break that record.

No, it's the end Bill. Way to go - right at the top!

As the man said after his final race (yet another Gold!): "I've been able to do everything that I wanted ... If you can say that about your career, there's no need to move forward. Time for other things."

It's been a real privilege to watch his final races.

It's been a real privilege to watch his final races.

Privilege?

As in when people say "it's been a real privilege working with you for the past 30 years" or "it's been a real privilege to have served as your President", you go "it's been a real privilege to see a total stranger do something that isn't associated with me in any way"...yes Phelps, it's been such an honor seeing you on tv. I appreciate everything you've done for not me, it's meant so much...

Just sayin

(unless of course, this has all been personal to you)

Edited by Y_B

Nah Bill, you've just missed half the sarcasm. I forget to insert the appropriate smiley sometimes

And I'm way more of a glass half-way kinda guy.

Edited by Y_B

Sorry about that Andy. Unfortuantely I used a friend's name by mistake. It's funny how using a surname can cause you to unintentionly use a first name from someone else you know with the same last name.

Privilege?

Don't most people who follow sport do so mostly on TV? Does that mean they feel less "personally" involved just because they're not physically there? But it's OK, Y_B. I get it. You're not impressed by Phelps. Maybe you'd prefer it if he hadn't been the most successful athlete at London 2012. And yeah, my comment was an overblown cliché, but I admit I've been caught up and gripped by so many of the fantastic events and athletes in this Olympics (OK it helps that it's a "home" games and that everything is being shown live on 24 channels of widescreen HD TV).

And people will still be talking about this guy long after you and I have turned to dust and been forgotten. Just sayin :P

• Like 1

Blue, some of those poses leaves a good deal of imagination (Especially the UK swimmer, those are some hot magazine cover ready poses! :D )