The 2012 Olympics

I'm surprised Japan beat Spain in the soccer match today, it just makes me mad that they won the EU cup, now !

I'm surprised Japan beat Spain in the soccer match today, it just makes me mad that they won the EU cup, now !

But isn't the Spanish team composed of different players? I thought that most players that were part of the Euro Cup did not participate in the Olympics. It's still surprising that Japan beat Spain but that could have factored into it.

This year's opening ceremony was horrendous. Great job Brits, London 2012 will go down in history as having delivered one of the most lackluster modern day opening ceremonies. Classic case of over-promising and under-delivering.

It's official. The Brits can't do it right.

Edited by Y_B

I loved the throwback feel and history lesson in the opening ceremony. I also thought it was appropriate that during the section on the Industrial Revolution that they had the large smokestacks spewing smoke, because with the recent push to use more coal again, I think that's an excellent reminder that we can't do that without appropriate polution regulations. Having grown up in a house that had a coal furnace, most people don't realize the amount of coal dust involved or the amount of soot produced as a result of the combustion process. When I was in the UK in the 1970's, the were spending millions of pounds and it took a number of years to sandblast away the decades of pollution cause by burning coal and other soot producing fuels, which had coated many of their historic buildings and national treasures and made them much less attractive.

I also enjoyed the children's dream sequence, where they envision the villains from many of the popular works of British literature, but then they were all dispelled by the appearance of Mary Poppins. I also enjoyed the musical stroll down memory lane.

I thought it was a real hoot when they made it appear as if the Queen and James Bond had parachuted into the stadium.

I also thought it was appropriate that the had Bradley Wiggins open with the ringing of the bell and then closed with David Beckham carrying the Olympic torch on the boat, passing it to Steve Redgrave who carried it into the stadium, passed it off to the next generation of athletes and then the lighting two hundred brass torches that combined into the Olympic flame. I thought the entire event was wonderfully and tastefully donw. Nice job Brits.

• Like 1

Loved the concept of young athletes lighting the Olympic flame! With all the professional athletes competing in the Olympics today, with all the commercialization and the corporate sponsorships and the scandals and only promoting events (& athletes) that look good on TV, it was an excellent reminder of what the Olympics should be about.

Also the little film of the Olympic torch crossing the UK, showing the enthusiasm, the crowds, the joy brought a tear to my eye.

• Like 1

There are, according to news reports, 21 or 22 out gay Olympians at the London games:

Interesting to note that most are women. Another South African woman has been added to the list: Swimmer Karen Hultzer.

A huge congratulations to the organisers and producers of the opening ceremony, it was spectacular. The song And I will Kiss You by Underworld and featuring Dame Evelyn Glennie was nothing less than brilliant. The drumming was unlike anything I have ever seen. Handing the flame over to the next generation of athletes was a moment of inspired genius.

Yes. This was a show stopper.

Loved every moment of it.

• Like 1

Louis, and those are only the gay Olympians that are out! How many are still in the closet, because of the stigma of gays in sports?

And they think all gays are wimps. HA!

It inspires me to watch the Olympic Games, because these athletes have trained their whole lives to get a chance to earn the Olympic Gold Medal. They have dedicated their lives to be the best of the best. Even after the London Games are over, their next round of training begins for the 2016 Games.

GO TEAM USA! USA! USA! USA! Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by thephoenix

Personally I'd rather not know...and I honestly don't care.

Can an athlete be just an athlete rather than a straight one or gay one? Let them do their thing and respect their discretion. They don't owe anyone anything.

• Like 1

I just signed in to share with you all how excited I was when I heard "Veuillez-vous lever pour sa Majesté la Reine".

Also, "There isn't a single male U.S. athlete that's out. Kind of crazy."

What? Why are you assuming some of them are gay, and that those same have any obligation other than winning medals?

Edited by Merlin

^Because they're Olympians, so the world plays tug of war on them with everybody trying to find something about them to claim for their own glory. I'm sure the Irritable Bowel Syndrome Society wishes Michael Phelps farts himself to sleep every night too

Edited by Y_B

But back to the real discussion, how sad was that for Jordyn Wieber??

That rule is horribly stupid. It's part of this ridiculous movement to "give everyone a chance". This is the Olympics, it's about celebrating exceptional people.

Seriously, the Brits really dropped the ball on the 2012 Olympics logo. :P

Posted Image

Are you kidding??

It's freakin awesome!

2012 in abstract looks like one athlete giving another athlete a blowjob.... What's not to like...? :P

Congrats to Great Britain's Gymnastic team :D

Posted Image

Congrats to the Chinese team for scoring GOLD!!!! (Yes, it's real, now stop chewing your medals :P )

Posted Image

There certainly have been a bunch of surprises and upsets so far. What about Missy Franklin? Glad to see the Brits get the Bronze in Men's gymnastic, but I feel for the US team. I thought the Men's Synchronized Diving was pretty amazing too.

Congrats to all of the medal winners so far.