The 2012 Olympics

Tom Daley wins bronze in diving. Congrats to David Boudia on winning the gold.

And I loved in the inadvertent double entendre during the commentary, when they said that David Boudia topped Tom Daley **wonders how many other people have wanted to that** Posted Image

Well is David Boudia gay? He sort of gave out this vibe...

Posted Image

Luke Campbell wins gold for TeamGB for the first time in 108 years in his class. I'm so chuft for him, he is such a mild mannered young Yorkshire man, and is a deserving winner and part of the Yorkshire success story. I was routing for him from the start and he didn't disappoint. :)

There is definitely something in the water in Yorkshire. :D

Well, they mentioned his fiancee with a female name, so I'm assuming no.

Troy Dumais gives off way more of a vibe.

Nick McCrory. Hottie. Dark hair and a tan with blue eyes will get me any time.

Posted Image

congrats to the brits winning metals

Tom needs to work harder to get that gold ... bronze is like one step to fourth or silver ...

David wow!!

Tom Daley wins bronze in diving. Congrats to David Boudia on winning the gold.

And I loved in the inadvertent double entendre during the commentary, when they said that David Boudia topped Tom Daley **wonders how many other people have wanted to that** Posted Image

Well this is our best performance in the Olympics since 1908 (when we won 56 gold, 51 silver and 39 bronze) and we actually hosted the games.

Perhaps we should host more often :) ?

Tom Daley was actually very unlucky in the diving. He was in gold medal place going into the last dive (a lead of only 0.1 points), but his last dive just didn't have enough difficulty (only 3.3, compared to 3.6 that Boudia and Qui Bo had). It's not as though third and fourth was very close (he beat Minibaev of Russia by 29 points) and was only 9.9 points off the silver medal. An outstanding performance for an 18 year old.

• Like 1

he was very nervous when he was a 14yo and Boudia was very angry

he had four years to perfect his craft

Are you saying that older divers are more experienced ?

mmm less nervous??

he messed up his syncro ... something he's done countless times ...

lol they show one where both did not land in the water well

one lean one way and the other in another direction

Perhaps his coach isn't challenging him enough

Its looks like his diving is more of a social vehicle than performing challenging dives

Another question what makes a good diver .. one from gymnastics or one who takes challenges?

hehe I wonder if he tried cliff diving? its a sport in some countries .. i'm not sure how deep it is before u hit a rock underwater

Well this is our best performance in the Olympics since 1908 (when we won 56 gold, 51 silver and 39 bronze) and we actually hosted the games.

Perhaps we should host more often Posted Image ?

Tom Daley was actually very unlucky in the diving. He was in gold medal place going into the last dive (a lead of only 0.1 points), but his last dive just didn't have enough difficulty (only 3.3, compared to 3.6 that Boudia and Qui Bo had). It's not as though third and fourth was very close (he beat Minibaev of Russia by 29 points) and was only 9.9 points off the silver medal. An outstanding performance for an 18 year old.

Edited by hh5

he was very nervous when he was a 14yo and Boudia was very angry

he had four years to perfect his craft

Are you saying that older divers are more experienced ?

mmm less nervous??

he messed up his syncro ... something he's done countless times ...

lol they show one where both did not land in the water well

one lean one way and the other in another direction

Perhaps his coach isn't challenging him enough

Its looks like his diving is more of a social vehicle than performing challenging dives

It is easy to sit in judgement of a competitor and suggest that they should have done better when we are not the one's having to perform. I would agree with Andy in saying that it was a brilliant performance by a number of talented divers. When you consider that Boudia won with a winning score of 568.65 points, and the second and third places were only 11 points adrift, we can only conclude that the quality of the diving was outstanding.

I notice you fail to say anything about the Chinese divers. Considering that Diving is a national obsession in China, and they dominate the sport world wide through almost every single competition, it can only go to show that despite the quality of their talent all it takes is one slip in a dive to fall from that emulated position of perfection.

Did we think he'd do it watching the prelims or the syncro diving. If I am honest, even I was thinking, 'Oh no, here we go again.' but when it mattered he pulled it out the hat.

Four years to perfect an art form? Stop momentarily and consider the pressures those four years included.

The death of his father. A media spot light. Issues at school, and pressures of his O and A Level examinations. Injury and practice issues.....

Is it any wonder that he even made it to the games.

Personally I do agree that Tom lives in the lime light a little too much. But come on, the boy is 18 years of age. What kid would not lap up the attention and adoration of a huge community that follow him.

It is also worth considering that Tom is contracted by a management team, and as part of the funding grants given to TeamGB, were social and media commitments for many of our athletes. The aim of London 2012 was to inspire a new generation of sports men and woman, and through the slick and often in your face media campaign I think that they have achieved this pretty well.

I go for a walk in my village, and kids are on the street with tennis racquets and balls, or fooling around in the park, out on their bikes. The golden glow of the glory of the games has begun to have its effect. Is that a bad thing? I don't remember seeing this happening last year!

If Tom living in the limelight does its job in the long run, who am I or any of us to criticise his achievement.

You know, when it comes down to it, let us not just talk about Tom. Thousands of athletes came to London 2012. More leave the games with the taste of failure to achieve that golden moment than people that leave with a smile and 44 grams of gold around their neck.

Win or loose we wanted to see the athletes pull out all the stops and go for broke. Did Tom do that? Hell yes he did. Don't be so quick to point a finger because he didn't fulfil your expectations. On the day two other divers were better, but that does not make Tom's achievement any less significant, or the results of any single participant for that matter. They came, they tried, some won, others go back to the drawing board and try again next time.

Edited by Yettie One
  • Like 1

All in all, thank you for your share of your perspective of the games ... sharing the different views of Tom Daley

your thoughts of what the games meant to you

but you fail to see the line of questioning ... The Athlete

we have much to question of Micheal Phelps here ... what was his goal at the games?

We get the impression its to win notoriety of the most metals rather than participating in every event.

I only knew him for 2008 games but I found out I missed out on the games he started ..

His lost of endorsements because of marijuana news and the lameness of the endorsements

It would have been nice to see more on Lochte endorsements ...

Not all of us has had the luxury of watching the games

I caught things on a post occurrence ... busy working on a company projects

being there for my mother and aunt after my father past away in 2007

etc etc

Back to Tom Daley - The Athlete

Tom's Interview before the Olympics ..

http://www.vidiov.info/810148e3a.html

He's know for years his father will one day die. That would be very much different of not knowing at all.

Both he and his father shared their valuable time together. He made his decision to honor his dad memory.

He decided to not give up his chance on his dream that he and his father built

He says in the interview in the long term that he hopes to try for the Olympics another five more times.

In the short term its to win the Gold medal... that invites a competitive seriousness and the desire to show the world his love for the sport.

I am not looking at the other athletes.

I'm asking is he maturing for the sport at his age?

Sure it be fine if he made an error here and there where deductions are taken much like the other athletes.

Sure there can be better divers .... sure there is a chance he might not win ... or will win a medal

From the guardian.co.uk

So, with two dives to go ...

Tom Daley is very much in the mix here. I've seen two bad dives all night, which suggests his margin for error is zero if he's to hold on to bronze or better it. It would be an astonishing upset if neither of the Chinese won tonight, but it's not looking great for them so far. The gold medal is the American David Boudia's to lose.

Your piece is speaking of something outside of Tom Daley the Olympic Athlete ...

Its really his passion at the moment to be this Olympic Athlete by having the chance at fulfilling those wishes prior to each the Olympic game

You could have address your witnessing of his proficiency at the sport for his age

From mirror.co.uk

Errors as Daley hit by nerves: Diving star will need to improve on final day

Daley said: “That was far too close for comfort. It was tough because I don’t normally compete at that time of night, for one, and with 32 ­competitors you had to wait half an hour between dives.

“That was another tough thing to deal with, and towards the end my legs were starting to fail on me and I just wanted it to be over.”

But there was no reprieve for his synchronised pairs sidekick Pete Waterfield, who was knocked out after coming a lowly 23rd.

Waterfield, a silver medallist with Leon Taylor in Athens eight years ago, admitted: “It was terrible.”

from telegraph.co.uk

Tom Daley and Pete Waterfield implode on way to fourth in the synchronised 10m platform

Ticked off by his performance director for wasting too much time with the media, Tom Daley found a way to stay out of the limelight. The splash he planned to make in the first of his two diving contests never materialised as he and Peter Waterfield fell apart after a promising start in the synchronised 10m platform.

Synchronised diving is a sport of such aesthetic merging that a bad dive feels like a violation of the expected beauty. The audience express a kind of shock. The errors are tiny, naturally, but look huge when the angles of entry are wrong.

from guardian.co.uk

But a crucial mistake in the pair's fourth-round dive, a reverse 3½-somersault with tuck, saw them drop from first to fourth, a position they were unable to improve on in the two subsequent dives.

from metro.co.uk

Tom Daley and Peter Waterfield miss out on diving medal after costly error

Tom Daley has set his sights on an individual medal after an agonising fourth-place finish in the 10metre platform synchro.

But a pair of errors – most notably on their reverse three-and-a-half somersault dive – saw the pair plunge from first to fourth place in the table.

‘In this competition and this field you can’t afford to miss any dives,’ he said.

Even thou Waterfield apologized for fluffing the dive ... they both landed in the water at different angles .. as a pair it cost them to metal ... then came the fury of bad twitters.

thesun.co.uk

His first dive was desperately disappointing, scoring just 75.60. But Daley immediately lodged a protest with the ref, complaining he was distracted by flashes from cameras in the crowd.

“I went out there and gave it my best shot. I had to do one re-dive and the flash photography is the downside to the home crowd — but I’m so happy."

You could have explained the time of day his events have taken place which here in the USA we have no idea what time the event is taken place.

We're just watching hours of hours of media coverage, we have no idea of the time of day at the aquatic center or the hours of the games.

Not all of us have the chance to go to any of these games.

Tom's father explains it well about the degree of difficulty to learn and perfect a new dive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uB4mFOMiqc

The answer to that mastery is performing it at the Olympic games

Sure that Social Media has burp their anger at him. Its really one of the hazards of Social Media.

The Olympics are surely going to advise all Athletes to refrain from reviewing them during the games as it can cause them to lose focus in the games vs gain focus.

The media likes to remind us about an athlete choking at the games showing us the difference of being #4 or lower vs being a metalist.

We do have to remember Jim McKay Quote "Spanning the globe to bring you the constant variety of sports... the thrill of victory... and the agony of defeat... the human drama of athletic competition... This is "ABC's Wide World of Sports!"

The Athlete risks many things through their career .. sure they have work harder because they still have to return to their lives a citizens and have an equal chance in case of a change of venue in the future. The sacrifice of a social life is one of the risks. The risks of the agony of defeats before one day the glory of the honor of a metal.

As far as Tom Daley - Ambassador -

google just lists the endorsements speaking ... promoting the games and capitalizing the lime light for the sale of their products

We don't get the same news or media about him over here regarding what everyone experiences

Sure its a treat to share those experiences with us ...

Win or lose ... prior or after the games ... The Athletes of the games are the official good will Ambassadors

Sure as a Team its to sponsor the longevity of the games in the respective countries

I think you lost focus for the list of questions on an "athlete" .. I am asking questions ... not actually dissing Tom Daley

You live there so perhaps you know better of Tom ... Sharing that is an enlightenment to all

Athletes come into our lives every four years ... they celebrate after the games ... they get to relax for a few months

Then they fade away from our lives except those with endorsements.

Its the question we all will think "will we seem them in over three years time"

you must remember not every one watches all the games .. people are bound to have missed them

Not every one of us gets that chance to participate in a team sport

that's speaking for all ages ... not for the current youth programs

The support for those programs on a global level could be very much at risk

The global economy ... the focus of surviving a possibility of a Global Recession

Here in the USA ... there are schools that lost their Gyms in favor of providing space for educating students

There doesn't seem to be programs to support Sports ... in all places ... 100%

( The same goes with Arts programs as well )

Sure there are places that provide ... but there are places that don't

Not every youth goes to some cultural or youth center

Not every adult has had the opportunity of having a childhood that many of today are given that opportunity

Our country being #26 is focusing on the campaign to produce more engineers and other fields

Something to compete in the global economy

Somewhere the sense of the Athlete ... will be loss for a period of time

The spirit of the Athlete ... will have to find other ways to keep the spirit alive

We're all not too certain if that will be done by corporations, citizens or gov't

lol, I just hope we don't wind up with the future leading to the Hunger Games

Its nice of you to tell us that the spirit of sports will live in your country in the post Olympic euphoria

Again we here have no idea how the UK Recession is going and how if it affects sports?

Its a blessing that London has gotten three events that help its economy.

Not every country has that kind of opportunity

Any way thanks for your share

PS - Lesson learn from the Closing

from wiki

John Ian Wing (born 18 November 1939) is a British resident of Chinese descent.

Born in Windsor, Melbourne, his mother died when he was a few days old. His father placed him in the Melbourne Children's Home and he remained there for several years. When his father remarried he was removed from the Home and sent back to his family.

He was a student in Australia in 1956 when he wrote an anonymous letter to the International Olympic Committee suggesting the athletes from all countries mingle during the closing parade. His idea was used that Olympiad and has remained an Olympic tradition since that time.

Perhaps one of the forgotten contributions from a non-athlete giving the levity to the games we celebrated for 14 games.

It is easy to sit in judgement of a competitor and suggest that they should have done better when we are not the one's having to perform. I would agree with Andy in saying that it was a brilliant performance by a number of talented divers. When you consider that Boudia won with a winning score of 568.65 points, and the second and third places were only 11 points adrift, we can only conclude that the quality of the diving was outstanding.

I notice you fail to say anything about the Chinese divers. Considering that Diving is a national obsession in China, and they dominate the sport world wide through almost every single competition, it can only go to show that despite the quality of their talent all it takes is one slip in a dive to fall from that emulated position of perfection.

Did we think he'd do it watching the prelims or the syncro diving. If I am honest, even I was thinking, 'Oh no, here we go again.' but when it mattered he pulled it out the hat.

Four years to perfect an art form? Stop momentarily and consider the pressures those four years included.

The death of his father. A media spot light. Issues at school, and pressures of his O and A Level examinations. Injury and practice issues.....

Is it any wonder that he even made it to the games.

Personally I do agree that Tom lives in the lime light a little too much. But come on, the boy is 18 years of age. What kid would not lap up the attention and adoration of a huge community that follow him.

It is also worth considering that Tom is contracted by a management team, and as part of the funding grants given to TeamGB, were social and media commitments for many of our athletes. The aim of London 2012 was to inspire a new generation of sports men and woman, and through the slick and often in your face media campaign I think that they have achieved this pretty well.

I go for a walk in my village, and kids are on the street with tennis racquets and balls, or fooling around in the park, out on their bikes. The golden glow of the glory of the games has begun to have its effect. Is that a bad thing? I don't remember seeing this happening last year!

If Tom living in the limelight does its job in the long run, who am I or any of us to criticise his achievement.

You know, when it comes down to it, let us not just talk about Tom. Thousands of athletes came to London 2012. More leave the games with the taste of failure to achieve that golden moment than people that leave with a smile and 44 grams of gold around their neck.

Win or loose we wanted to see the athletes pull out all the stops and go for broke. Did Tom do that? Hell yes he did. Don't be so quick to point a finger because he didn't fulfil your expectations. On the day two other divers were better, but that does not make Tom's achievement any less significant, or the results of any single participant for that matter. They came, they tried, some won, others go back to the drawing board and try again next time.

Edited by hh5

hh5...you talk too much

just post up a hot guy like the rest of us and find something witty to say about his bulge.

Posted Image

Boudia could be attacked for only just qualifying - he barely made it into the semi-final, his dives were way off medal standard (any colour) and he was right at the bottom in 18th position. But none of that matters. Because in the Saturday final all of the 10m medal winners performed an astonishingly good set of six dives. Boudia's dives were simply consistently brilliant - breathtaking - in that final. So Daley has nothing to be ashamed of winning bronze in such company.

We can all be armchair critics - it's the easiest job - but if none of us has performed at the top as an elite athlete then we've no idea what it's like to be such a person, to live such a life, and to perform such incredible feats when required and under such intense pressure. Best to leave all the snarking and carping to the tabloid rags. All it does in this thread is demean the poster.

Btw, hh5, the Japanese deserved their silver medal in the team gymnastics - they were fully entitled to the additional points under the rules. Judges don't make up the rules and where an appeal is permitted (which it isn't in every sport e.g. football) they will consider the appeal in accordance with the rules. That is what happened and the British team had no problem being relegated to bronze from silver as a result.

I know what you mean Paya. His coach slapped his buttocks during the final as "encouragement" and he was real uncomfortable when his coach hugged him real tight when he won. BUT he's lookin' real comfy here with his "partner" Nick McCrory ... Posted Image

Posted Image

... and wot's Nick's hand up to here .... and wot the $@#%'s Nick got in this trousers ... Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Zombie

yeah I don't get the decision ... it can be easily argued either way ... he lost balance prior to forming the handstand ... the handstand requires you to have both legs locked and hold and then dismount ... he clearly lost control prior to that ... bad form ... n went into a dismount ... the judges clearly ... went into a lapse in judgement ... they should award a fraction of the fraction given ... or stand ground to their previous decision .. i don't remember the original scoring ... I don't think they showed that .. the news coverage was very spotty

the ukraine ... gosh they deserved a metal ... it would have been fair to rule a double bronze ... the ukraine didn't argue against the jap appeal which they should have tried

the judges take too long to grade each performance ... there are times network goes to commercial and we lose the score of the participating country ... its like we don't get the same coverage that ABC use to do for the Olympics

we didn't get to see all of the jap n Ukraine participation to know that they are the better team to the Ukraine

that jap was making major deduct errors in all his routines ... he was out of his game that day

the judges for women gymnastics were brutal ... a perfect routine by I think the USA ... should have no deductions ... but then every athlete was getting deductions ,,, so the coaches didn't appeal

fencing is very brutal ... only two appeals max ... these are made by the players ... its like where are their coaches to make the appeal decision ... and why are they doing the paper work n the lol bribing payment .. oh well next game

perhaps we'll see the grand child of pele

gosh women scream too much in fencing ,,, its bad form ... it really can counter influence the opponent ... gosh this isn't a martial art ... the judge should put a muzzle on the screaming opponent ... it also looks like the padding of the women is different than the mens who has more protection

HandBall was strange ... we usually consider it a game with a little black ball and gloves played in single n doubles ... not a repeat type sport to like field hockey n soccer

BMX ... now thats a sport for the TEENS to get into the games ... not the old guys ...

ooops sorry for missing the sexy pics ... i think the womens health website considers this guy from tae kwan do very sexy

Posted Image

if they fought this way in the sport it would have been really interesting

Karate or gung fu some other martial would have been a better sport than tae kwan do

the next sexy guy ... he looks like Ben Affleck ... lol

Posted Image

Btw, hh5, the Japanese deserved their silver medal in the team gymnastics - they were fully entitled to the additional points under the rules. Judges don't make up the rules and where an appeal is permitted (which it isn't in every sport e.g. football) they will consider the appeal in accordance with the rules. That is what happened and the British team had no problem being relegated to bronze from silver as a result.

Edited by hh5

btw, I bet the women find the korean archery team very sexy ...

gosh the bow really got to modernized ... too many gadgets and use of that glove

the old way was much better for a test of skill n strength

the games really allowed too much technology

Posted Image

those body suits in swimming were ban from the 2012 games

really ... the olympic committee should have taken phelps metals away ...

the suits gave an unfair advantage against those who swam old school

this why we all got a bit upset when phelps wasn't performing the way we saw in 2008

the girls got their man .... he's really going to celebrate his night with them lol

guys get real jealous ... he stole your girl "mates"

Posted Image

Edited by hh5

Tom Daley had a marvelous Olympics. That he performed so well in the 10m platform is a testament to his ability and mental toughness. He did everything he had to do to win a gold medal. He dove the appropriate dives to put pressure on his opponents, at least Boudia who dove a slightly tougher program than Daley and Qui who dove the same exact program. I think Qui benefited from rather generous judging, especially on dive 5255B and was not penalized on a dive where he missed vertical.

I do get Boudia mixed up with WaterField as tom's syncro partner... I haven't kept up with the news

is WaterField the same partner in 2008?

Tom Daley had a marvelous Olympics. That he performed so well in the 10m platform is a testament to his ability and mental toughness. He did everything he had to do to win a gold medal. He dove the appropriate dives to put pressure on his opponents, at least Boudia who dove a slightly tougher program than Daley and Qui who dove the same exact program. I think Qui benefited from rather generous judging, especially on dive 5255B and was not penalized on a dive where he missed vertical.

... I don't think they showed that .. the news coverage was very spotty ... there are times network goes to commercial and we lose the score of the participating country ... its like we don't get the same coverage that ABC use to do for the Olympics

Yeah, I think maybe you didn't get to see what we saw. In the UK we had the benefit of 24 live TV channels throughout the Olympics showing every minute of every event in HD with no commercial breaks so we probably got to see a lot more than you were able to in the US. I was able to watch the whole of the team gymnastics event and even the BBC commentators (experienced in gymnastics and the rules) agreed that Japan's appeal was right and correct. How even-handed is that! :P

what a pity ... not even our financial channels did any better

lol espn on uverse didn't spot the olympics at all

they did during the 2008 i think but perhaps not upto par with BBC

lol, BBC america didn't show nor did BBC China ...

is there a scoring sheet to the jap decision show like a before n after??

I think jap gave the biggest bribe .. in GBP rather then JPY rather than Euros

no one comments on the underhandedness

Yeah, I think maybe you didn't get to see what we saw. In the UK we had the benefit of 24 live TV channels throughout the Olympics showing every minute of every event in HD with no commercial breaks so we probably got to see a lot more than you were able to in the US. I was able to watch the whole of the team gymnastics event and even the BBC commentators (experienced in gymnastics and the rules) agreed that Japan's appeal was right and correct. How even-handed is that! Posted Image

Edited by hh5

I think jap gave the biggest bribe .. in GBP rather then JPY rather than Euros

no one comments on the underhandedness

That's 'cos there was none. International Gymnastics Federation rules require that an appeal fee must be paid in order to file a protest so the Japanese officials got up the cash and the proper forms to appeal. Originally Uchimura was credited not with a dismount but with a fall. A gymnast receives no points for a fall. However, even a clumsy exit from the horse, as long as the gymnast gets two feet down, counts for some points. Had Japan lost the appeal, the money, however much it was, would have stayed with the gymnastics federation but Japan won the appeal when it was ruled that Uchimura had dismounted and should have been awarded .700 additional points. That correction moved Japan from fourth to silver-medal position.

But none of that matters 'cos Louis Smith's still the hotter dude! Posted Image

Posted Image

I think we need another pic of those pecs ...

Posted Image

Dang - couldn't he have worn a tighter singlet - this one is just soooo baggy :lol:

Edited by Zombie

*think unsexy thoughts, think unsexy thoughts*

Posted Image

It's too sexy, I can't hold it back! Must find slash fiction immediately :D