Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation (99+43) Wairaka

Wairaka is up! (it might take up to a minute after this post to appear).

Please let me know what you think be it good, bad, or mixed.

Also please note; the google map linked at the chapter top is interactive, so you can zoom it around to look at various spots or different areas. if you like,

Author's note: TEMPORARY SCHEDULE CHANGE AND AN APOLOGY FROM ME. (Some of this is in the chapter header, but the bottom paragraph isn't)

When I asked for feedback, I promised to get this story concluded before leaving for my long trip. I failed. I apologize. However, we are NOT going on hiatus.

I've been working extra hard to get chapters banked in preparation for my trip (plus do all the stuff I need to do to get ready for the trip). The good news is that, worst case , we'll shift to every-other-week postings until Christmas. (However, if I can find internet access a few times while away, chapters will appear sooner). Starting at Christmas (Christmas Eve), we can resume a weekly schedule for the final three chapters (unless they have already been posted by then).

The chapters I'm leaving behind for posting are larger than normal. In once case, it's a double (for plot reasons, it had to be). So, I'll be gone in less than a week, but the story won't be.

I've put in many a late night (and so has my team!) getting ahead on chapters so you won't be left hanging while I'm away. Please don't let the forum die off while I'm gone.

My sincere thanks to all who have given feedback in the forum, PM'd, e-mailed, or left reviews. You are the reason I;m motivated. Thank you!!!

I will read and reply to everyone just as soon as I can (when I get back, if not before, though please be aware that I might not have internet access until I return just before the New Year). I've been slow this last week due to racing to get these extra chapters ready.

However, I'm sorry I didn't get more done, so for now, starting with this chapter, we're on every-other-week posting until Christmas Eve. (But as I say, I may be able to speed that up if I can get internet access a few times while away. I'll do my best).

Sorry I've been slow to reply!

I've been working extra hard to get chapters banked in preparation for my trip (plus do all the stuff I need to do to get ready for the trip). The good news is that, worst case , we'll shift to every-other-week postings until Christmas. (However, if I can find internet access a few times while away, chapters will appear sooner). We'll then go back to weekly for the final three chapters, which should post Dec 24th, Dec 31st, Dec 38th, and Dec 45th, with the epilogue posting with the final chapter on the 45th.

CJ :)

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Hmmmm, lots of blue in this chapter. Bluey, Blue ocean, Blue balls :P

Thanks for the chapter CJ :2thumbs:

Well at least we now know what Shane's nickname is. I guess it is relevant to Shane and Trevor's first meeting. Question is, did you know that way back when they first met for Shane to head butt Trevor?

I'm also glad that Gonzales and the FBI have finally realized that Bridget is alive and well and leading the operations out of the Bahama's. Also, it seems to be that they know the island that they are operating out of. I have said it before, but with Noriega and Bin Laden, I wouldn't put it past the US to get an International Drug Lord with or without the permission of the Bahamian Government.

:)

Brickbrain. Ok, not as catchy as I was expecting, but it fits.

Point Nemo caught my curiosity and I came up with this site that also has a map plotting the point. The map does include the New Zealand land mass as well as the west coast line of South and North America.

http://geocuriosa.com/pointnemo/index.html

Surely, the FBI is not really as dense as the agent depicted.....Posted Image

Now, I am waiting for the next snippet of a chapter in the ongoing saga! Thanks CJ!

Hmmmm, lots of blue in this chapter. Bluey, Blue ocean, Blue balls Posted Image

Thanks for the chapter CJ Posted Image

Well at least we now know what Shane's nickname is. I guess it is relevant to Shane and Trevor's first meeting. Question is, did you know that way back when they first met for Shane to head butt Trevor?

I'm also glad that Gonzales and the FBI have finally realized that Bridget is alive and well and leading the operations out of the Bahama's. Also, it seems to be that they know the island that they are operating out of. I have said it before, but with Noriega and Bin Laden, I wouldn't put it past the US to get an International Drug Lord with or without the permission of the Bahamian Government.

Posted Image

I wasn't sure what Shane's nickname was, but I knew it had something to do with headbutting... so of course, he had to head butt Trevor when they fought. Posted Image

One thing though: the FBI and Gonzalez DON'T know where Bridget's island is; they don't even know for sure if she's in the Bahamas. Remember, when she took over, one of the things she did was tone down the island's operation; unlike Norman's Cay (the real world one) hers isn't used as a transhipment point. Norman's Cay built a big jet runway, and even had a radar installation. In their heyday, they were flying in several flights a day. Posted Image

Brickbrain. Ok, not as catchy as I was expecting, but it fits.

Point Nemo caught my curiosity and I came up with this site that also has a map plotting the point. The map does include the New Zealand land mass as well as the west coast line of South and North America.

http://geocuriosa.co...nemo/index.html

Surely, the FBI is not really as dense as the agent depicted.....Posted Image

Now, I am waiting for the next snippet of a chapter in the ongoing saga! Thanks CJ!

They can be that dense. Posted Image Ever sat in on an inter-agency turf squabble? What I showed is at the very mild end of the spectrum. The agent was also constrained as to what he could say, due to his op-sec - operational security protocols.

As for missing the meaning in Spanish... let me give you a far more glaring real-world example involving that language. When the Honduran president indicated plans to run for reelection in spite of constitutional term limits, he was deposed and exiled. The Obama administration condemned Honduras, insisted the president be re-installed, etc, and put sanctions in place, made threats, etc. However, as it turned out, the Honduran government was acting as its constitution demanded, to the letter. The Obama administration eventually let the matter drop, but not without first wrecking our relationship with Honduras. It was pointed out that the Honduran constitution was online, and that somebody at the state department should have read it before the Administration opened its mouth and inserted its foot. One of the excuses offered was "it's in Spanish". (apparently they don't have anyone who knows Spanish, or Google translate either).

Or, for another, more recent example, the Benghazi debacle. They proclaimed long and loud, for weeks, that what happened was a spontaneous demonstration against a video, in spite of having known all along it wasn't. (there were survivors from the consulate and the CIA compound; they all saw the same thing; no warning, just an armed assault with major weaponry. There's also the awkward fact that the Cairo and Tunis embassies had been evacuated for over 24 hours, in anticipation of a SPONTANEOUS riot. (Spontaneous does not mean what they think it means, I guess).

When the story began falling apart, one of the people they trotted out to try to field press questions was State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland. The below is in the original. Read the last line of nothing else.

MS. NULAND: Look, I’m not going to parse this 17 ways from this podium. What I am going to say is, obviously when one goes out and tries to represent what the totality of what we know, the intelligence community plays a large role in that. And they had given an assessment to the entire government, which was the basis on which Ambassador Rice spoke on Sunday, they themselves have talked very explicitly about how their assessment has evolved over time.

QUESTION: Right. And yet --

QUESTION: But you never – okay.

QUESTION: And yet Under Secretary Kennedy and other people in this building knew, or felt in their opinion, that that was not correct, and that this was --

MS. NULAND: I’m not going to get into the personal feelings of anybody. I’m simply going to say that in making public statements, one depends on the totality of what the Administration knows.

QUESTION: But you didn’t. You never said that.

MS. NULAND: Look, I’m generally dumber than most of the rest of the government. I mean, that’s what I’m paid to be.

So yes, there are people like that in government, always have been, and the FBI is no exception. Not all of them of course, but there are some. Same with the private sector; you get some dense ones.

For an FBI example, remember when they did all they could to pin the Atlanta Olympic bombing on the security guard, Richard Jewel? Based on absolutely no evidence and flying in the face of what evidence they had? They ruined a man's life and also made laughing stocks of themselves.

There are just some examples off the top of my head. Of course, there are rumors that the truly dense types end up not in government service but moving to the high mountains of Arizona and taking up writing...... Posted Image

Well not even a cliff anywhere in sight...Not a whiff. The boys got away clean before Bridget's people even got to the island - how un-goat like!

Thanks for all of the hard work you and your team put in before your upcoming travels - I'm sure it will be at a great ride between Thanksgiving and New Year's!

Well not even a cliff anywhere in sight...Not a whiff. The boys got away clean before Bridget's people even got to the island - how un-goat like!

Thanks for all of the hard work you and your team put in before your upcoming travels - I'm sure it will be at a great ride between Thanksgiving and New Year's!

But of course... There are no cliffs or cliffhangers in Circumnavigation. :P

I'll even release the next chapter title... Prelude to Betrayal. I hope it doesn't sound ominous... it's just smooth sailing, nothing to worry about. :)

I've been getting increasingly worried that you'd work too hard to make your pre-holiday deadline. The story is far too good to have the last few chapters hurried. I'd rather see a temporary slow-down in the posting rate and have the story reach its proper conclusion at a proper pace than risk having the whole thing spoilt by rushing the ending.

Have a good break.

I've been getting increasingly worried that you'd work too hard to make your pre-holiday deadline. The story is far too good to have the last few chapters hurried. I'd rather see a temporary slow-down in the posting rate and have the story reach its proper conclusion at a proper pace than risk having the whole thing spoilt by rushing the ending.

Have a good break.

I don't leave until this time next week, but I'm looking forward to it. I do write while on vacation; One of the scenes in Rome in LTMP was written while I was in Rome. I'm going to be doing that with some scenes for coming stories during the trip, including one in Rome. :-)

And you're right... I did toy with the idea of cutting some corners to get this story wrapped before I left, but it would have left many loose ends. Another problem I ran into was that October unexpectedly had only 31 days this year. But, we'll get this wrapped in six chapters, by Dec 45th 2012 if not sooner. :)

Nice chapter, if a bit uneventful. And would the FBI really be that incompetent that they wouldn't look up the name Bruja? :P

This was probably the last of the sightseeing, so I expect an awesome ride to the finish, even if the chapters are every other week. Enjoy your travels!

Nice chapter, if a bit uneventful. And would the FBI really be that incompetent that they wouldn't look up the name Bruja? Posted Image

Yeah, you would think someone in the Miami office of the FBI speaks Spanish. Even an Anglo agent would suspect the word was Spanish and seek an agent who could translate.

CJ Thanks for getting the boys safely launched out into the Pacific. I sense the aid they provided to the 11 year old swimmer may foreshadow aid they may need to receive themselves. Just guessing.

And about your chapter counting and calendar usage: Dec 24th, Dec 31st, Dec 38th, and Dec 45th. American can be very provincial in their worldview. There are many calendars is use all over the world that count the days very differently than we do. Thank for broadening our perspective. And perhaps you can point us toward the system you are employing?

Written: 13 Actuary 3023.

Posted Image .................For someone that didn't want to go out of the river into the ocean in the dark Trevor seems to have waited long enough to set sail, he could barely make out the statue. I like December as much as anyone but 45 days is just a tad too long. Posted Image

What calender are you using?

The goat standard calendar. (It needs some extra flexibility, due to pages often being eaten).

Nice chapter, if a bit uneventful. And would the FBI really be that incompetent that they wouldn't look up the name Bruja? Posted Image

This was probably the last of the sightseeing, so I expect an awesome ride to the finish, even if the chapters are every other week. Enjoy your travels!

It was sightseeing... but it was more. Let's just say that the statue points the way. ;-)

Would the FBI fail to look up the name? Absolutely possibly, and probably likely. :) Alkl they know is it's either a name or a nickname. They'd check it against a list of known operatives, and find nothing. Only a few people would see the name, due to op-sec (operational security).

Yeah, you would think someone in the Miami office of the FBI speaks Spanish. Even an Anglo agent would suspect the word was Spanish and seek an agent who could translate.

They thought it was a name, not a word. And only one or two agents would be in on this, due to operational security. When you have source-related info, it is almost always compartmentalized. It would have actually been far more damning to their competency had the entire FBI office been aware of it, even if that had caused them to figure it out. :)

CJ Thanks for getting the boys safely launched out into the Pacific. I sense the aid they provided to the 11 year old swimmer may foreshadow aid they may need to receive themselves. Just guessing.

And about your chapter counting and calendar usage: Dec 24th, Dec 31st, Dec 38th, and Dec 45th. American can be very provincial in their worldview. There are many calendars is use all over the world that count the days very differently than we do. Thank for broadening our perspective. And perhaps you can point us toward the system you are employing?

Written: 13 Actuary 3023.

They are definitely on their way :)

As for the calendar... It's a goat-standard calendar. There may be some speciesist types around who are so culturally insensitive as to reject it, but I hope they are few and far between. :)

Hi CJ

Things seem to be going allong smoothly and I hope your trip does too.

Bon Voyage and return safely.

Joe.

Thanks!!

Posted Image .................For someone that didn't want to go out of the river into the ocean in the dark Trevor seems to have waited long enough to set sail, he could barely make out the statue. I like December as much as anyone but 45 days is just a tad too long. Posted Image

He did leave it a tad late, didn't he? :)

Would you prefer Dec 44th?!!?!?

Another Interesting Chapter, With A Clue About ( The Statue Points The Way ) I Look Forward As Always To The Next Chapter, Also Have A Great Trip And Enjoy Your Traveling

Thanks!!!

I hope to be checking in from time to time and popping into the threads, and there are chapters ready (thanks to the team) for posting while I'm gone - though not weekly (sorry).

Finally they figure out she is alive. For some reason I didn't see this chapter post. Great job as usual cj

Trevor and Shane now know, which is good - depending on what they do with the info. :)

I also completely missed this post. In fact the header to the story still gives 30 Oct (in the normal western calendar) as the date of last posting!

Hrmmm!!! Something is odd. I did have trouble posting that chapter, and from the look of it, there's an odd space in the index. And I hadn't even tried to set it, yet, for December 45th...

Okay, the coming chapter is called "Prelude to Betrayal."

• Like 1

Thanks!!!

I hope to be checking in from time to time and popping into the threads, and there are chapters ready (thanks to the team) for posting while I'm gone - though not weekly (sorry).

Trevor and Shane now know, which is good - depending on what they do with the info. Posted Image

Hrmmm!!! Something is odd. I did have trouble posting that chapter, and from the look of it, there's an odd space in the index. And I hadn't even tried to set it, yet, for December 45th...

Okay, the coming chapter is called "Prelude to Betrayal."

Posted Image .................... Hell looking in at the timeline when he posted this I thought for sure the next chapter was going up! Posted Image

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..