Gay Couple Wins Amazing Race

MikeL

Over the years, CBS' popular Amazing Race has had several gay and lesbian couples compete for the $1 million prize. Tonight, a gay couple, Josh Kilmer-Purcell and Brent Ridge became the first to win the big prize.

Posted Image

Goat Farmers/Life Partners Brent (left) and Josh (right) must make their way to

Leonardo da Vinci's Tomb in order to receive the next clue, during the two-hour

season finale of THE AMAZING RACE.

The two men are already personalities in their own right with their own TV reality show, The Fabulous Beekman Boys.

Posted Image

Edited by MikeL

• Site Administrator

Hey Mike,

I seemed to recall a different couple that won that were gay.

Season 4 was won by Reichen Lehmkuhl and his partner Chip Arndt. I never heard anything about either of them after until Lance Bass came out of the closet and I believe at the time was dating Reichen.

To tell the truth, i was really surprised that they won. They were definitely the underdogs for the majority of the race.

But good on them Posted Image

Edited by wildone

Wildone's is right

Speaking of Reichen Lehmkuhl (stupid name), I may be the only person alive who's read his book/autobio

Winner of the reality game show The Amazing Race 4; model, author, and actor; ex-boyfriend of former 'N Sync member Lance Bass His autobiography, Here's What We'll Say, details his time in the Academy and as a commissioned officer in the Air Force under the military's so-called "Don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Well great..... I guess I don't need to watch the second hour that is starting right now then.....

Sorry, Tim. The show ended at 9 pm here and I waited two hours before posting. Didn't realize folks in California were so far behind the times. Posted Image

I always like the underdogs. I was happy to see the twins get voted off after they kept refering to them as "The gays".

And how they were sneaky and "always did things from the behind".

Totally uncalled for.

Not a real surprise, weren't they Martha Stewart's assistants forever? They're used to that sort of.. wild everywhere stressful lifestyle. :P I've never watched the Amazing Race.. but eh.

Even knowing they were going to win I couldn't believe it because they were behind, but when the other two teams didn't even know the symbol of the UN I figured that was where the gays were going to win it. That final task has flipped more than one result. You'd think people would realize by now how important it is to write down the details of each pit stop and memorize it.

Reichen became a complete ass after the Amazing Race. He was only moderately an ass before it, but celebrity was all he wanted it seemed. His old BF Chip was the sweetest guy in the world and just wanted to do good, but Richard (Reichen's name before he Hollywooded it up) wanted to be famous.

Although I can say hello and good bye in many of those languages (mostly because I've been to them), if I were competing, I'd not expect that to be in the final roadblock.

But yeah, when 2 out of 3 teams did not recognizing the UN symbol I laughed out loud.

I get email updates from the Beekman Boys and just read the email that they won the Amazing Race. It is really neat for them, if any of you have seen their show. They are paying off the mortgage on their farm and Josh can finally quit his job to live full time at the farm with Brent.

http://beekman1802.com/7-billion-thank-you-notes/

• Like 1

I always like the underdogs. I was happy to see the twins get voted off after they kept refering to them as "The gays".

And how they were sneaky and "always did things from the behind".

Totally uncalled for.

Yeah, two fugly bitches. If I had to screw them I'd have to do things from behind too. Ugh.

The attention that two gays winning a game-show brings on this website brings to mind a set of questions of rather more importance. Should we be celebrating (or be expected to celebrate) the win of two people just because of who they have sex with? Boiled down, what's more important? Their sexuality or their individual merits? A corresponding question would be: Should I like Adam Lambert's music just because we share the same sexual orientation?

The attention that two gays winning a game-show brings on this website brings to mind a set of questions of rather more importance. Should we be celebrating (or be expected to celebrate) the win of two people just because of who they have sex with? Boiled down, what's more important? Their sexuality or their individual merits? A corresponding question would be: Should I like Adam Lambert's music just because we share the same sexual orientation?

You raise some interesting questions. When I started this thread, I probably had in the back of my mind that it is unusual for gay people to win a popular reality show grand prize. (I was mistaken in believing that Josh and Brent were the first to win the Amazing Race.) It is unusual, but only because any minority faces a lot of competition in any undertaking. What really is remarkable is that they overcame a number of problems and setbacks, including near elimination, and bested younger, more physically fit opponents. In the end, it was their brain power more than anything else that propelled them into a first place finish. Their victory would have been remarkable for straight guys in the same situation.

What is more remarkable still is that they had an opportunity to show the world that gays are real people, capable of holding their own in a predominantly straight world, and they did exactly that. We can and should celebrate them for what they accomplished and not who they are.

• Like 1

No, we don't have to like someone just because he or she's gay but you know, as much as people like to discredit and ignore labels, we still use it as a social tool to find some kind of association with other people. It's a social mechanism. So in the case of Josh, Brent, Adam or whoever, I think it's kinda cool to know that they're gay just because I do feel this slight bond with them, the same way two people of any same minority group may feel about the other, or people who share the same interest. I mean, isn't that how we make friends? But I'm not saying I think those people are somehow made greater or lesser just by them being gay or straight, it's just a matter of curiosity and interest. And I'm not one of those people who ever ponders about some celebrity's sexuality and wishes he's gay. 1) I do try not to look at someone for his/her sexuality, so I'd really rather not know 2) It's not like I'd had a chance with em anyways.

Edited by Y_B
  • Like 1