Jodie Foster came out

hh5

It took her awhile ... but I wonder what pushed her to come out 

paparazzi?

Jodie Foster and the Queer Line Between Public and Private

In a rambling acceptance speech for a special achievement award at the Golden Globes Sunday, Jodie Foster begrudgingly announced -- almost as though at gunpoint -- that she's a lesbian: "Now apparently I'm told that every celebrity is expected to honor the details of their private life with a press conference, a fragrance and a primetime reality show."

Foster's plea for privacy from the glare of the limelight -- while standing in the glare of the limelight -- brought to mind Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston. Like Foster, both were precocious child stars who probably never felt that they owned a private thought or feeling, something that the rest of us take for granted. Lacking this critical ingredient to forming a healthy sense of self must surely have contributed to their self-destruction at nearly the exact age that Jodie Foster is now.

“Well, I may never be up on this stage again, on any stage for that matter. Change, you gotta love it. I will continue to tell stories, to move people by being moved, the greatest job in the world. It’s just that from now on, I may be holding a different talking stick. And maybe it won’t be as sparkly, maybe it won’t open on 3,000 screens, maybe it will be so quiet and delicate that only dogs can hear it whistle. But it will be my writing on the wall. Jodie Foster was here, I still am, and I want to be seen, to be understood deeply and to be not so very lonely. Thank you, all of you, for the company. Here’s to the next 50 years.”

Edited by hh5

I always like her.  And I completely agree with Krista.  Sure, a public figure like Jody Foster can't really enjoy the degree of privacy like us normal people, but they shouldn't be pestered to disclose everything either.  If she likes everyone to know about her sexuality, she can.  If not, leave her alone!  She should be seen as one of the most talented actresses around, not merely confined by her sexuality.  In any case, I think she has had a stellar career.

that lifetime achievement film left out a lot of her younger year movies

ie: foxes, bugsy malone, etc

she seem to be tom-boy like in her teens

it didn't surprise me if she was gay or not

her speech dropped so many hints of distaste

it sounds like she's going to quit making and acting movies

does she thinks it hurts her chances for more awards like oscar or GG?

what impact does this have on her career compared to mr AC360?

its not like she could stop the media from invading her privacy

it doesn't sound like she be doing interviews

for fear that they will ask about her sexuality

annnnnnd Oprah comes out tomorrow as black.

What a shocker!!!!! :o :o :o

My old two tone TV sets should have picked the slightly darker tones, but it could have been a really bad sun burn :P

I'm just waiting for Tom Cruise to get out of his closet, among other things.

• Like 1

she came out neither too soon or too late, or too long or so long, or too soon or too quickly, you all know that you come out at your own time, don't judge others timming because they're celebreties...

Coming out should never be about acceptance or even honesty. Maybe I'm missing the point, but I have never seen how it is anyone's business.  I'm not saying, "don't be yourself," or "stay in the closet," I just can't think of a reason why people come out. It is like you are pointing out a difference in yourself that isn't really a difference because you've been the same your entire life. You aren't a liar just because you withhold what you naturally are attracted to.

So treating people as misleading, false, dishonest, or cowardice doesn't make any sense either.

The last thing I would want is for people to blow such a thing out of proportion because that is the only thing that hurts.

There's a difference between being "in the closet" and not shouting it out to everyone. Like it was already said, I don't think she ever denied it and even discretely mentioned about it here and there.

One can assume himself/herself not hiding it when asked, without having to walk across town with the big "Breaking news : I'm gay sign"

• Like 1