Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

That would take some doing. After all, the family includes Matt, Stef, JP, and arguably Cody.

But anyways. The comment I was going to make was that I wonder how Brad is going to react when he realizes his son has surpassed his number of sexual partners. Is it going to trigger another mid-life crisis, do you think?

That would take some doing. After all, the family includes Matt, Stef, JP, and arguably Cody.

So? :P

But anyways. The comment I was going to make was that I wonder how Brad is going to react when he realizes his son has surpassed his number of sexual partners. Is it going to trigger another mid-life crisis, do you think?

I think this might be one thing where he's just thinking, "whatever", or something to that effect. Point being: This one won't even be a small deal, let alone a big one.

And...I lost my train of thought. The image of Will as a TA somewhere down the road is going to take some getting used to. Scoring a hot TA in college is awesome. I got three one quarter, it was like Christmas that lasted 10 weeks (and I don't think I ever attended class so religiously). Will is going to break so, so many freshmen in his intro to Bio sections

I always thought it was interesting about what Mark said about his generation- that they dabbled in graduate school, but it wasn't quite the "you gotta do this" the way it's become for Will's generation, made easier with online degrees and no-frills satellite campuses.

Brad settled down exclusively with Robbie from 1981 to 1984-ish, then again from 1986-1999, so it makes sense his numbers wouldn't be as high. Also, when Brad was a teenager in the late 1970's/early 1980's you didn't exactly ask guys out on dates. Will has the benefit of being unattached, being unusually good-looking and developed for his age, and growing up in a time and place where you really don't think you're going to get punched for asking a guy out. When Brad was 14, that was a realistic fear.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

That's tough to beat, especially Stef. 

So? :P

I think this might be one thing where he's just thinking, "whatever", or something to that effect. Point being: This one won't even be a small deal, let alone a big one.

I think you're right.  I don't really think Brad will be all that bent out of shape about it.  He really approaches Will's sex life with a bi-polar attitude.  One minute, he's OK with it, the next he's freaking out because Will's going  too far.  Then again, Brad kind of does that with everything.  But in the end, I think he's more about protecting Will than about keeping Will celibate.

I always thought it was interesting about what Mark said about his generation- that they dabbled in graduate school, but it wasn't quite the "you gotta do this" the way it's become for Will's generation, made easier with online degrees and no-frills satellite campuses.

Brad settled down exclusively with Robbie from 1981 to 1984-ish, then again from 1986-1999, so it makes sense his numbers wouldn't be as high. Also, when Brad was a teenager in the late 1970's/early 1980's you didn't exactly ask guys out on dates. Will has the benefit of being unattached, being unusually good-looking and developed for his age, and growing up in a time and place where you really don't think you're going to get punched for asking a guy out. When Brad was 14, that was a realistic fear.

You make an interesting point, and a good one.  With Brad's generation, unless you were out (and probably flaming), the signs were very subtle.  You met guys randomly, you met them at bars/clubs (or sleazier places), you met them cruising, or maybe you got lucky and connected with a guy who actually turned out to be gay or bi too.  Will doesn't have to resort to that level of nuance.  He's out there, so there's no big secret, no 'holy shit, someone might catch me and out me' fear, and he can pretty much do whatever (or whoever) he wants or he can.  He's much more liberated, because society is much more liberated, iMHO.

As a father it is always tough to think of your kid as a sexual being,  getting laid etc. There are the Neanderthal dads who loved their kids conquests. When I was in high school a nearby town had a bunch of athletes in a thing they called the "spur posse" and they were nailing girls for points. When it came out they interviewed one of the fathers and he was actually proud of his son, he didn't see any issues.

As to Will's numbers and conquests...... we only see small bits of Will's life. How many guys was he hooking up with from AOL chatrooms, planetout.com and gay.com after Mr. Arbour goes to bed in the Midwest??

Can you imagine him when grindr & jack'd come into being? There are so many other apps popping up (no pun intended) it makes your head spin.

I have a 41 year old friend who figures he is in the 900+ range right now and this is someone who didn't really start until he was 25 or so.

What has changed from JP's generation to Will's is that you don't meet guys in bathrooms anymore for a 5 minute frenzied hook-up, you can meet them in real places now and take them home to your apartment and your roommate won't freak out. I am appalled that there are still guys who want that bathroom/sauna thing.

Centex postulated that Kai is a daddy and I am liking that theory.....  time will tell :)

• Like 1

As a father it is always tough to think of your kid as a sexual being,  getting laid etc. There are the Neanderthal dads who loved their kids conquests. When I was in high school a nearby town had a bunch of athletes in a thing they called the "spur posse" and they were nailing girls for points. When it came out they interviewed one of the fathers and he was actually proud of his son, he didn't see any issues.

O/T, but didn't something like this end up in a Law & Order episode? :P

• Like 1

As to Will's numbers and conquests...... we only see small bits of Will's life. How many guys was he hooking up with from AOL chatrooms, planetout.com and gay.com after Mr. Arbour goes to bed in the Midwest??

Can you imagine him when grindr & jack'd come into being? There are so many other apps popping up (no pun intended) it makes your head spin.

I have a 41 year old friend who figures he is in the 900+ range right now and this is someone who didn't really start until he was 25 or so.

What has changed from JP's generation to Will's is that you don't meet guys in bathrooms anymore for a 5 minute frenzied hook-up, you can meet them in real places now and take them home to your apartment and your roommate won't freak out. I am appalled that there are still guys who want that bathroom/sauna thing.

Centex postulated that Kai is a daddy and I am liking that theory.....  time will tell :)

I remember the posse.  I get a little conflicted when I hear about things like that, because on the one hand, I don't have a problem with high schoolers having sex, and even if I did, it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference to them.  On the other hand, the predatory nature of the posse was pretty reprehensible. 

And really, what's wrong with racking up big numbers?  What's wrong with a guy hitting 900 by 41? 

As for bathroom/sauna sex, it's probably mostly a thing of the past, but there's a certain eroticism to it, based on the public nature of the location, and the random luck of the partner.  And Tim, you probably didn't troll the johns for head, but I love the gay guys who did (or do) and still act all prim and proper. 

But that's not my favorite gay double-standard.  My favorites are the guys who are under 25 on GRINDR, etc., who post comments deriding guys who want to be anonymous.  I have a friend who can't be out for various reasons, but this guy has been one of the biggest, die-hard gay rights activists you'd ever meet. He's one of those guys who helped pushed things to where they are now.  And I find it pretty ungrateful that he's scorned by these guys who get to be out and pretty open about it because the society this dude helped create is open enough that they can post their picture and still have a life. 

• Like 3

And I find it pretty ungrateful that he's scorned by these guys who get to be out and pretty open about it because the society this dude helped create is open enough that they can post their picture and still have a life.

I believe in scorn for people like Larry Craig, who hide in the closet and then vote for anti-gay legislation, or closetcases who gaybash. But I am sympathetic to anyone over the age of forty who remain deeply closeted for various reasons. Private Tim's  generation (I'd say people born from the mid-1970's up to about 1981 or so) really was that first generation of gay men to benefit from the pain of the previous ones- though it wasn't perfect, the gay men that came of age in the 1990's like Tim did really  were the first ones who could be open about their lives and still be part of mainstream society.

And really, what's wrong with racking up big numbers?  What's wrong with a guy hitting 900 by 41?

I think it's looked down on because it plays into the stereotype of gay men as being slutty, AIDS-spreading whores who can't settle down and start families like "normal straight" people.

It kind of feels like the acceptance of gay people into mainstream society comes with the idea that gay people can be just like straight people- masculine men good at sports who want to settle down with the white picket fence in the suburbs.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

As to keeping track of guys, one of my roommates in college kept a spreadsheet with names, dimensions, acts and fun tidbits. I think he was up at around 35 or 40 when he was 19.

I always told Adam that I think it's hilarious that he's one of the few guys who actually toned things down when it comes to his college life story. I've gotta admit I've curious as to what Andy Sharpe in Cross-Currents number would be.

I gotta admit, I kind of hope that John winds up getting a lacrosse scholarship to Duke University, because it'd be hilarious to see his reaction to the Duke Fuck List:

He'd be the class of 2009, so it's possible he would overlap with Karen Owen.

Did you ever read JWolf's the List? It was basically inspired by the Duke Fuck List.

Edited by methodwriter85

I liked including Kai's dad. I don't think Mark's ever had a character dealing with someone who had a major disability before- there was Fritz, who was castrated and paralyzed in Vietnam, but he killed himself rather than living with it.

Edited by methodwriter85

Alright, you all have completely stunned me.  :o  I loved all of the reviews I got, but I was waiting for that blast to hit, the total pelting, and it didn't come.  I figured that Will letting Kai bareback him the first time they fucked, and after Will hadn't really known him that long, would get me some kick back.  :fight:

Alright, you all have completely stunned me.  :o  I loved all of the reviews I got, but I was waiting for that blast to hit, the total pelting, and it didn't come.  I figured that Will letting Kai bareback him the first time they fucked, and after Will hadn't really known him that long, would get me some kick back.  :fight:

Actually I am fine with barebacking as long as the couple is safe with everyone else. I understand the desire for no raincoats when it is someone you really care about. It might be strictly emotional, but I just don't feel the connection is the same when you have your rubbers on. There is a reason they call it safe sex not safe love making :P

Here is what I said in my review and I'll discuss some of the other reviews too:

I am pretty disappointed in Will. I was hoping he'd matured enough that he wouldn't try to bed every guy he meets just because he can. It would also be nice to see someone flat out refuse Will and his charms. I thought his behavior with Malcolm was almost predator like. How is Will ever going to be in a serious relationship if he can't control himself? How is he going to mature if he thinks he can have anything/one he wants?

I will give him credit for feeling guilty, but I think he felt guilty for the wrong reason. Yes there should be some small guilt about Kai, but I think how he treated Malcolm was wrong and that is what he should feel most guilty about. Malcolm didn't really want to do because of professional standards, but Will made an aggressive mood on him and despite the fact that Malcolm got into it, I still think it was wrong that Will was so aggressive.

Its a shame about Kai's dad, but I was glad it was his father and not a baby, which wouldn't be uncommon on Maui, that he was caretaking.

We are down to less than 30 days now until school starts in Menlo and just 41 days until everything changes. Will is going to have leave his idyllic life pretty soon and face his problems at Escorial and at school with Marie.

I will say that I can see Kai as a partner for Will more than most guys we have met. Obviously they will be separated for long periods of time which means they won't be dating for now and UH has a great oceanographic dept so I can see Will or Kai going there and then heading off to the South Pacific to do reef research when they graduate.

People keep talking about Will being "15", but unless I am very much mistaken, he is still 14, a not insignificant distinction in the eyes of the law.

I do expect Will to be hormonal as a teen, but hormonal with peers not with adults in their 20's who work for him. Why can't he get laid like a normal teen with guys from online?

Malcolm might have wanted what happened to happen, but it wasn't anything he would ever have initiated, especially with Will being 14 and a client. If Will preyed on his weakness, it is still preying. The "grabbing of hair" and "orders" also made it seem more predatory.

I do have to say I liked the idea of Kai's family caretaking the Spreckelsville estate, especially since it has a nice guest house that could be a caretaker's cottage. Along with housing, the Schluter's could pay Kai's mom a small salary that would let her quit the waitress job and give more attention to he husband and free up Kai to go to college on Oahu or Mainland.

• Like 1

When I was a teenager and furiously counting down to the days when I would turn 21, I tended to think of myself as the next age whenever I got about 8 or so weeks within it, so Will and everyone calling him 15 makes sense to me. His birthday is in less than two months. It's like when I called myself 17 and a half, and the guys I said that to said, "You're still young enough to go by half for your age." You want to be older until you're 21, and then you start dreading hitting the big 3-0.

The Malcolm stuff made me wince a little, but I'm not cringing as much as I did during Poor Man's Son when Will was still 13. JJ at 15 would make me cringe if I read about him hooking up with a guy in his 20's, but Will at 15 doing it doesn't feel as cringeworthy because I don't really think Will is getting taken advantage of by the 20-something guys he's hooking up with. There isn't this power differential going on- it's not like Will is some innocent kid being seduced by his teacher or his coach or anything.

When I was a teenager and furiously counting down to the days when I would turn 21, I tended to think of myself as the next age whenever I got about 8 or so weeks within it, so Will and everyone calling him 15 makes sense to me. His birthday is in less than two months. It's like when I called myself 17 and a half, and the guys I said that to said, "You're still young enough to go by half for your age." You want to be older until you're 21, and then you start dreading hitting the big 3-0.

The Malcolm stuff made me wince a little, but I'm not cringing as much as I did during Poor Man's Son when Will was still 13. JJ at 15 would make me cringe if I read about him hooking up with a guy in his 20's, but Will at 15 doing it doesn't feel as cringeworthy because I don't really think Will is getting taken advantage of by the 20-something guys he's hooking up with. There isn't this power differential going on- it's not like Will is some innocent kid being seduced by his teacher or his coach or anything.

I'm relatively calm sliding into my thirties. I think it'll be my forties or fifties I dread, because of all the various health complications just waiting for me.

I don't think Tim meant that Will was being taken advantage of. It was Malcolm being preyed on, and that did make me uncomfortable. As far as he knew, if he didn't have sex with Will, he'd have been fired, and good luck getting more jobs if he managed to piss off someone as well connected as Will. Of course, he's still not free form that, because if Brad ever finds out about this, his career is pretty much toast. Possibly, anyways. Actually, Brad will probably figure out who the instigator was, but Malcolm doesn't know that.

A lot of times, the reason male rape gets brushed aside is that the victim comes, and if you were enjoying yourself how can it be rape? Which is bullshit, but that's people for you. While I don't think Malcolm was pushed quite that far, just because he made the best of a bad situation didn't mean it was one he'd have chosen.

I don't think Malcolm was taken advantage of. :rolleyes: Nothing (to me) in what was written said 'No , I don't want to do this, please won't someone save me?' I think Malcolm throwing his arms around Will's neck before they even kissed is a good indicator he wanted it. Now I can see how the situation could have been different and the employee could have been pressured to give it up to keep the job but this is not the case here. I don't think this is even similar to rape at all,that would be out of character for Will, as written by the author. The hair pulling and man handling is just a kink some people like to do, and just sometimes. Just like handcuffs and whips. Or sensual massage. If they hook up again, maybe it will be sweet lovemaking in front of a roaring fire on a bed strewn with rose petals. I'm hoping for the sling though :yes:

• Like 2

I'm with Mari on this, but I really do hope that as Will gets older and more in control of his affairs, he doesn't follow in Stefan and JP's tendencies of sleeping with people that are employed by him. Stefan and JP are relics of a different time where it was okay to sleep with the help; Will's growing up in a litigation-happy culture. It would make Will look stupid if he opened himself up to sexual harrassment lawsuits like that.

Edited by methodwriter85

I don't think Malcolm was taken advantage of. :rolleyes: Nothing (to me) in what was written said 'No , I don't want to do this, please won't someone save me?' I think Malcolm throwing his arms around Will's neck before they even kissed is a good indicator he wanted it. Now I can see how the situation could have been different and the employee could have been pressured to give it up to keep the job but this is not the case here. I don't think this is even similar to rape at all,that would be out of character for Will, as written by the author. The hair pulling and man handling is just a kink some people like to do, and just sometimes. Just like handcuffs and whips. Or sensual massage. If they hook up again, maybe it will be sweet lovemaking in front of a roaring fire on a bed strewn with rose petals. I'm hoping for the sling though :yes:

Malcolm was taken advantage merely by the fact that he does work for Will. He doesn't have to say "no, stop" and Will doesn't have to say "sleep with me or else" for this to meet the legal definition of either rape or sexual harassment. Whether or not Will would have fired Malcolm if he had said no isn't the issue, the mere fact of Will putting Malcolm in that position is the wrong. Even if Malcolm had flopped on his back and said "do me, do me, please do me" Will would still have been vulnerable to sexual harassment claims.

Yes, some people do get off on rough sex and being told what to do, but you don't usually do that in the first 20 seconds of an encounter. I'd love to be Malcolm's lawyer looking at that Schluter bank account

As to the new chapter, Brad had every right to be concerned about his 14 year old son putting in a sex/kink room, but he obviously approached it the wrong way. Like I said in my review I think Brad would have figured out by now how to deal with Will, but the character Brad has to do the things he does to keep drama in the story and set up the next situation.

Someone has to tell Will no. Someone has to tell will he is fucking up. This notion that Will is going to mature and become wiser getting whatever he wants isn't realistic. In my anecdotal experience teens who don't get told no, who don't have limits set on them, who don't have guidance from adults (usually their parents) don't turn out well. Look at what a hot mess Justin Bieber has turned into because the adults around him have indulged him and not told him no. Look at all the child actors who become hot messes and the children of privilege too. The most indulged do not turn out well. I don't know if it is going to be Wade or JP or who, but someone needs to give Will some direction on right and wrong and respect and maybe a quick revisit to the Golden Rule, the REAL one, not the one that little rich kids think exists.

Someone has to tell Will no. Someone has to tell will he is fucking up. This notion that Will is going to mature and become wiser getting whatever he wants isn't realistic. In my anecdotal experience teens who don't get told no, who don't have limits set on them, who don't have guidance from adults (usually their parents) don't turn out well. Look at what a hot mess Justin Bieber has turned into because the adults around him have indulged him and not told him no. Look at all the child actors who become hot messes and the children of privilege too. The most indulged do not turn out well. I don't know if it is going to be Wade or JP or who, but someone needs to give Will some direction on right and wrong and respect and maybe a quick revisit to the Golden Rule, the REAL one, not the one that little rich kids think exists.

While I agree that spoiled children turn into rotten adults, I don't see Will as spoiled.  I see Will as embattled.  If Brad would make a consistent effort to treat Will respectfully, Will would have no basis to go on the defense.  Discipline and boundaries are important, but trust is even more critical and frankly neither of his parents have track records of behaving in a way that should inspire any trust in Will.  

Will walks a fine line, are all of his decisions good?  No, but does he take responsibility for them?  Yes.  Does he act like the world owes him something?  No, he seems pretty aware that its his families wealth that allows him a certain freedom others don't have.  Is he naive?  Sure, he's a kid, mature or not, like it or not, he still has a lot to learn about himself and others.

I don't get the golden rule thing; he treats people far better at 14, than Brad did at 17 or even now.  For example, even if Will weren't out, I don't see him ever doing something like preemptively outing others to cast suspicion off himself, like his father did.  I think Will, like most teenagers (hell most people really), treats those who show him respect and regard with an equal amount in kind.

Edited by Miles Long
  • Like 2

If we accept the fact that it is really difficult to get emancipated as a teenager and that Will managed to do so, then I think we have to accept the fact that he can and will act independently.  The people he idolizes have a sex room and he was alright with that.  That he should copy them is not so far fetched nor outrageous given his sexually liberal upbringing.  That Brad told Jeanine with the expectation that she would confront Will about it was the real bridge to far for Will.  I think JP has the right sense of it all and that Brad's "do as I say not as I do" attitude has gone on long enough.   How many epiphanies does he have to have before he gets it?

I expect it will play out just as Mr. Arbour wants it to.  I frankly was more amazed that Robbie gets it more than Brad.  

It's still the end of July and a lot seems to be going to happen before 9/11 gets here.  I can't wait to see what surprises our author plans for the next chapter.  

• Like 1

Malcolm was taken advantage merely by the fact that he does work for Will. He doesn't have to say "no, stop" and Will doesn't have to say "sleep with me or else" for this to meet the legal definition of either rape or sexual harassment. Whether or not Will would have fired Malcolm if he had said no isn't the issue, the mere fact of Will putting Malcolm in that position is the wrong. Even if Malcolm had flopped on his back and said "do me, do me, please do me" Will would still have been vulnerable to sexual harassment claims.

Yes, some people do get off on rough sex and being told what to do, but you don't usually do that in the first 20 seconds of an encounter. I'd love to be Malcolm's lawyer looking at that Schluter bank account

As to the new chapter, Brad had every right to be concerned about his 14 year old son putting in a sex/kink room, but he obviously approached it the wrong way. Like I said in my review I think Brad would have figured out by now how to deal with Will, but the character Brad has to do the things he does to keep drama in the story and set up the next situation.

In order for Will to be open to target for a lawsuit, first Malcom has to be willing to own up to what happened. And there's something about him that makes me think that he won't be the type who's willing to admit to it - not willingly for purposes of a lawsuit, anyway.

Will has to be thinking that he's more-or-less invincible by this point - which, to be fair, isn't all that different from many teens in general...but toss in his family circumstances and it becomes its own thing. Anyone, anyone can talk to Will and tell him whatever they like - but Will would also have to listen, and truthfully, nothing can make him listen if he just doesn't want to.

• Like 2

I don't get the golden rule thing; he treats people far better at 14, than Brad did at 17 or even now.  For example, even if Will weren't out, I don't see him ever doing something like preemptively outing others to cast suspicion off himself, like his father did.  I think Will, like most teenagers (hell most people really), treats those who show him respect and regard with an equal amount in kind.

I do agree with that. There's no doubt that Will has some pretty shitty behavior at times, but he's shown time and time again that he's capable of being a really good friend to people.

I just think it's laughable that Brad is going to be shocked, SHOCKED that someone growing up in the kind of household that he provided for his kids is going to want things like a bar and a sex room. It's far too late to try and play the morality police with your kids when you're consistently shown through your example that you're allowed to do whatever the hell you want to do.

• Like 3

I do agree with that. There's no doubt that Will has some pretty shitty behavior at times, but he's shown time and time again that he's capable of being a really good friend to people.

I just think it's laughable that Brad is going to be shocked, SHOCKED that someone growing up in the kind of household that he provided for his kids is going to want things like a bar and a sex room. It's far too late to try and play the morality police with your kids when you're consistently shown through your example that you're allowed to do whatever the hell you want to do.

That truly is the ultimate lesson:  when your kids grow up to be just like you.  

• Like 1

So...having just read Mark's replies to the reviews from the most recent chapter, I am 400% more concerned about this divorce announcement. He basically ignored all attempts to draw him out...which makes me think he has chapter upon chapter of upheaval to throw at us. Am I reading too much into this? I'd be interested in communal opinion on this!

I am really sad about the divorce.  As I stated in my review, Isidore has always been one of my favorite of the second line players in this story.  Over the past thirty plus years, she and JP have really had a great life together and the good they have done for each other has far out stripped the negative.  The only thing she ever really did that truly bothered me was her reaction to Billy and Brad's fight and I actually understood where she was coming from even then.  Billy was her biological child and no matter how much she cared for Brad; the instinct to protect your young really overcomes anything else.  Isidore has done as much for JP as JP has done for her.  We don't know what really brought about the request for the divorce at this time; the issue with the party may have brought it to a head, but I don't think it was a deciding factor.  If Isidore and Frank want to get married, I can at least understand that.  Both JP and Isidore are very wealthy so I can't really see any fight over money, plus there was a contract signed before they got married and although they have both made tons of money since; I think the basic outline for protecting each of them would already be in place. 

From the reviews, I have to say that it seems a large number of people reading this story appear to be femalephobic.  Most of the times we have seen Isidore over the years she has been there standing with JP and the kids and doing what she can to support them and protect them and those they love.  I really don't understand the irrational feelings people seem to have about Isidore.  Maybe that is the therapist in me coming out, but I just don't...

I am really annoyed at Brad and Stef both.  Stef really betrayed Will and so did Brad.  The fact that Brad went to Jeanine, no matter what his motive was, and told her about the room is truly a questionable move.  Will and Jeanine are just starting to repair their relationship and Brad almost seems to be going out of his way to find ways to deter this.  Is he so jealous of the idea that Jeanine and Will might get along that he feels the need to wreck it???  Stef will have to really work to repair the damage he has done by going behind Will's back to Brad.  JP was completely right and I think by the time he got through talking to Stef, he understands that...

A truly great chapter....

The truth of the matter is, CAP is always going to be a story where the viewpoints of gay/bisexual men are going to come first, and the viewpoints of straight men/women are going to come second. That's just the way the story is, since it is at heart an erotic story about sexual relationships between men.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..