Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Matt meets his half-siblings at the beginning of "The Box." 

Thanks. I have searched in the wrong place for an afternoon  :P  :worship:

Daddydavek, on 05 Feb 2014 - 11:32 PM, said:

With all the cold weather, I'm surprised Mark hasn't written a chapter taking us back to Will's house in Hawaii for a get-away weekend.  Just to get the chance to write about sunshine, warm weather, boys in board shorts....Something to warm the heartsnapback.png

Is still snowing down there?! The clime is really getting weird. 

Edited by John Prz

An update for all of you: 

I've finished the drafting of 9-11, and it ran to 78 chapters.  The next chapter should post sometime tomorrow. 

Ok, Now we have to open another discussion for "guessing next book title" 

If Zach kooked up with Tony, I think we will see a double omicide. 

As how Will is now, if Zach ever even think to do that i can see him being shipped along with Wally to Siberia. with the compliments of Brad

Nah. Attacking people directly isn't something Will does, for the most part. He just doesn't think in those terms. Their cars would be toast, and he'd probably pee on all their clothing, but they themselves would be fine. And, Mark, people would call Will immature for doing that, I would call Will immature for doing that, because it would be an immature way to react. It doesn't matter his age, it doesn't matter the cause or circumstance, or how someone else might react in the same situation. Destruction of property over a break up is an immature way of handling things.

And, if he did damage Zach's car, Wally and Clara would press charges against Will. They'd almost have to, because Will would have proven himself to be a danger to Zach and those around him. Tony might be convinced to let it go (although campus police might not), Zach's family and host family wouldn't be able to afford that luxury.

So, actually, yeah. I kind of want to see this all happening.

However, hopefully we won't. I'm hoping for a time skip of some kind, to the furthest out we can go considering Will and JJ's storylines.

• Like 2

Nah. Attacking people directly isn't something Will does, for the most part. He just doesn't think in those terms. Their cars would be toast, and he'd probably pee on all their clothing, but they themselves would be fine. And, Mark, people would call Will immature for doing that, I would call Will immature for doing that, because it would be an immature way to react. It doesn't matter his age, it doesn't matter the cause or circumstance, or how someone else might react in the same situation. Destruction of property over a break up is an immature way of handling things.

And, if he did damage Zach's car, Wally and Clara would press charges against Will. They'd almost have to, because Will would have proven himself to be a danger to Zach and those around him. Tony might be convinced to let it go (although campus police might not), Zach's family and host family wouldn't be able to afford that luxury.

So, actually, yeah. I kind of want to see this all happening.

However, hopefully we won't. I'm hoping for a time skip of some kind, to the furthest out we can go considering Will and JJ's storylines.

I wouldn't call Will immature for peeing all over someone's clothes; I think that's probably more in the realm of mildly psychotic.  Then again, maybe he gets off on doing that?  Then it's just a kink.  An immature kink.  :o

Sorry to point out Mark's mistake but Matt meet his half brothers and

Robbie in chapter 5 or 6 of Bloodlines. Brad talked to Alejandro in Millennium and Hot Jeff appeared at Escorial after 9 11 to comfort Will.

Edited by rjo
  • Like 1

Sorry to point out Mark's mistake but Matt meet his half brothers and

Robbie in chapter 5 or 6 of Bloodlines. Brad talked to Alejandro in Millennium and Hot Jeff appeared at Escorial after 9 11 to comfort Will.

It doesn't bother me when you're right and I'm wrong.  :worship:

It only bothers me when Tim is right and I'm wrong.  At least I think it would.  Hasn't happened yet. :P

• Like 4

Don't forget the Half brothers (sister maybe?) from his bio-mom's side in millennium.

Secondly: how is it that the writer himself forgot about where his characters are at :o

Actually, Matt didn't meet his half-brother and half-sister in Bloodlines.  It was in Chapter 4, and he just heard about them from Laura and Charlie.  I don't think he actually "met" Caleb until the scene I referenced in "The Box".  So this author stands on his previous statement, until it is found to be wrong.  :P

• Like 3

An update for all of you: 

I've finished the drafting of 9-11, and it ran to 78 chapters.  The next chapter should post sometime tomorrow. 

Wow.  That's freaky.  That is the same number of chapters I have in the spreadsheet I built for calculating stats on this book.  :huh:

• Like 1

Actually, Matt didn't meet his half-brother and half-sister in Bloodlines.  It was in Chapter 4, and he just heard about them from Laura and Charlie.  I don't think he actually "met" Caleb until the scene I referenced in "The Box".  So this author stands on his previous statement, until it is found to be wrong.  :P

Mark is right! Matt met Caleb in chapter 2 of the box.

Strange that nor Caleb nor Jack, took the opportunity to visit California (Stef "invited" one of them clearly)

Something simple like:

"The Day After" or maybe "Threads"...

Or maybe go with the rebooting thing and call it "CAP 2002"

The day after make me think to the movie and i don't see cataclysm happening in some years. 

I thought about "Threats" or "Changing ". they can explain many things

• Like 1

That was some good plot twist. i was just like. "Are you kidding me?" then "Why Matt, why?" and in the end "Ok Matt, it was nice to have met you."

Wade is cool again and Klip is more cool than ever :lmao: 

Gathan can't hold up alcohol

Will is going to need to revaluate where he want to stand. 

Claire is going to be a surrogate mother for Will.  :thumbup: 

John doesn't  know Will good enough as he thinks  <_< 

Frank is going to be in a bad place if he doesn't explain to Will his position.

JP will have a lot in his hands, when Brad is going to "call in" for Tony  :evil: 

Stef... he know isn't a good time but he's enjoying the drama, along with Isidore.  :2thumbs: 

Next chapters are going to be really bad for Matt. 

I'm looking over to see how Brad will react to this...

And Tony... mmhh... I think we will only hear about him in the future. He's death to Will. (at least as i see it)

• Like 2

Well Sorry again. When John asked about Matt's half brother and sister I thought about Darius, JJ and Will which was in Bloodline, however Matt did meet his bio mother's children in Claremont in the Box. The sense with Matt meeting Robbie for the first time just stuck in my mind and I forgot about the others.

Edited by rjo
  • Like 2

So who's the next narrator... Wade or Matt...

And where?

. I vote Matt. I'm disappointed (in him) and judging him hard right now because I don't get what he's going through and why he's reacting like this. Wherever Robbie's spirit is now, I'm willing to bet its restless and sick with worry.
  • Like 1

Wade's hook-up with Klip again,  kind of shows how a walk on the wild side may in fact partially convert a guy.  Ending with a kiss and looking forward another hook-up confirms it was good for both of them.   But for Wade it is a diversion which he seems to not be finding from his former soul-mate who only seems to be a source of more noisome tribulations.  

Matt seems to have a underlying streak of mean stubbornness in persistently pursuing issues sure to make his family more unhappy.   It's almost as if he is so unhappy, that he feels for him to be happy at all, everyone else has to be completely unhappy too.  

JP and Steff are sure to be in somewhat of a quandary.   After telling Matt he would have to show Wade he cares, he shows he's an ass instead by moving in with Tony.  

JP is less likely than Steff to write someone off, but if someone asks for his advice and then pisses on it, he is one to let the consequences fall where they may.  

Finally Will.  He had his little rage but actually handled it better than in the past.  He didn't make rash promises or threats and just laid his case all out there.   Claire helped settle him down and Wade provided the physical and emotional support he needed to apologize for his "rage" and even to have a bit of a laugh when he explained they were worse after 9.11 and he thought he was getting better at controlling them.    

They are heading back east for another game Friday night and somehow I just hope this is not the time when Zach unloads, and denies he is gay and hurting Will in the process.  

It got to -4 degrees Fahrenheit for several hours this morning in St. Louis (normal highs for this time of year is 43 and normal low is 23) and I'm hoping Mark is working on a chapter that takes us back to warm Hawaii with hot guys in speedos or at least board shorts....

• Like 3

Here's an interesting piece on how men deal with grief.

Matt is clearly alienating everyone close to him, and he's probably doing it subconsciously, but he's clearly motivated to drive away the people who love him.  Instead, he's settling in with Tony, a low-intensity guy that he can be around with no deep conversations, and occasionally get off with.  In essence, Matt is creating his own "safe" space to grieve. 

• Like 1

Wade's hook-up with Klip again,  kind of shows how a walk on the wild side may in fact partially convert a guy.  Ending with a kiss and looking forward another hook-up confirms it was good for both of them.   But for Wade it is a diversion which he seems to not be finding from his former soul-mate who only seems to be a source of more noisome tribulations.  

Matt seems to have a underlying streak of mean stubbornness in persistently pursuing issues sure to make his family more unhappy.   It's almost as if he is so unhappy, that he feels for him to be happy at all, everyone else has to be completely unhappy too.  

JP and Steff are sure to be in somewhat of a quandary.   After telling Matt he would have to show Wade he cares, he shows he's an ass instead by moving in with Tony.  

JP is less likely than Steff to write someone off, but if someone asks for his advice and then pisses on it, he is one to let the consequences fall where they may.  

Finally Will.  He had his little rage but actually handled it better than in the past.  He didn't make rash promises or threats and just laid his case all out there.   Claire helped settle him down and Wade provided the physical and emotional support he needed to apologize for his "rage" and even to have a bit of a laugh when he explained they were worse after 9.11 and he thought he was getting better at controlling them.    

They are heading back east for another game Friday night and somehow I just hope this is not the time when Zach unloads, and denies he is gay and hurting Will in the process.  

It got to -4 degrees Fahrenheit for several hours this morning in St. Louis (normal highs for this time of year is 43 and normal low is 23) and I'm hoping Mark is working on a chapter that takes us back to warm Hawaii with hot guys in speedos or at least board shorts....

Mark is dealing with the same shitty weather you are.  Ugh.

I think that Klip's motives are actually much more admirable than that.  He and Wade have been good friends, and he's perceptive enough (we assume) to sense Wade's turmoil at what happened.  I'm guessing that Klip is with Wade not because he's suddenly discovered that men really do it for him, I suspect he's with Wade because he knows that's what Wade needs.

• Like 1

Nice article about men and grief.  Fairly well annotated and researched as well.   DSM V is out and confirms that normal grief can certainly take more than 2 months.  

Your thoughts about Matt may be his excuse, but he is harming his family, doing it after being repeatedly told about it and then continuing it.  Persistently perverse actions are not going to help him and the near and long term consequences for him and his family are certainly negative.  What his actions show are that he doesn't care for others unless they support him.  And it's not all about him as he will certainly discover.

Klip is a good friend with benefits and....I will leave it to our esteemed author as to how he handles an ongoing bedding.

• Like 1

What upsets me in the family dynamics regarding Matt is that as much as the family has been supportive of WIll and Wade it does not seem that Matt had much support in dealing with his grief.

Brad, Stef, JP, Wade etc were there for Will, JP and Stef were there for Wade, but who was there for Matt?

That does not mean that Matt should not face consequences for what he did, but it seems to me that everyone is just not seeing the broader picture, besides Wade. And I think Wade is hurting too much to really care/act upon it, but it seems to me that Matt is on a self destructive path and everyone is too pissed at him to notice. What scares me is that seems to be exactly what Matt wants.

What's happening reminds me a little of what went on before Robbie's meltdown: everyone just saw the irritating facade (the whining, immature behaviour) without realizing that they were witnessing someone that was going down the deep end.

• Like 1

What upsets me in the family dynamics regarding Matt is that as much as the family has been supportive of WIll and Wade it does not seem that Matt had much support in dealing with his grief.

It is really hard to support someone who does not want help and support.  Matt has demonstrated that he has very little regard for anything that has been said to him so far. He has systematically pushed everyone away in one form or another.  Like a drug addict or alcoholic - you can't help them until they WANT to be helped.

And I think Wade is hurting too much to really care/act upon it,

I can't say as I can blame Wade for being too hurt and angry to want to deal with it any more. Even if we excuse all the screwing around Matt did as part of the agreement, since the tragedy Matt has done nothing but try and get as much distance between himself and Wade as possible. I can't fathom how he got from "I have to do something" to "I'm moving in with Tony" so fast, think the way he behaved when Wade found him packing was low, and he had no right at all to get pissed when Wade took his ring off.  In my world that ring means something. Apparently it doesn't mean anything similar in Matt's world.

• Like 1

It is really hard to support someone who does not want help and support.  Matt has demonstrated that he has very little regard for anything that has been said to him so far. He has systematically pushed everyone away in one form or another.  Like a drug addict or alcoholic - you can't help them until they WANT to be helped.

Yes, but that is also what it makes it dangerous, he may not try to seek help before it's too late.

I can't say as I can blame Wade for being too hurt and angry to want to deal with it any more. Even if we excuse all the screwing around Matt did as part of the agreement, since the tragedy Matt has done nothing but try and get as much distance between himself and Wade as possible. I can't fathom how he got from "I have to do something" to "I'm moving in with Tony" so fast, think the way he behaved when Wade found him packing was low, and he had no right at all to get pissed when Wade took his ring off.  In my world that ring means something. Apparently it doesn't mean anything similar in Matt's world.

I don't blame Wade at all either. If possible I'm worried about Wade even more than about Matt. Wade is that kind of person that keeps almost everyone at a distance and often appears too cold only because they are really sensitive and they are putting up walls as a self defense mechanism. Matt may be the first person he truly let in, which means that now Wade is really hurting because of Matt behavior (which send me int this bipolar tangent where i keep switching between being sorry and worried for Matt and being royally pissed at him). What Wade reaction may be if something bad happens to Matt (if he really is trying/going to self-destroy) I don't DARE to imagine.

Curse you Mark, I'm not supposed to care zoo much about fictional characters!  :P  :worship:

We haven't seen Hot Jeff for a while. I'm not sure he's even been in this book.

Isn't Hot Jeff happily attending USC? It makes sense we're not really seeing much of him, because this book is so focused on the Palo Alto area. We haven't had that many chapters set around Los Angeles for this book, right?

As for Matt and his biological family...I always thought it was funny how he's kind of got a reverse rags-to-riches story. Not really that he lost money, but Matt went from having a brahmin, well-respected WASP famiy, to discovering that he's actually the son that belongs to a family with serious white trash roots. That's probably why the notion of changing his name to Hayes has probably never hit Matt, because his adopted family name is much more respectable, especially if we're talking the mid-West.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..