Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation (99+56) The Belly of the Beast

B) .........Steve, Steve, Steve LOL! .....So at Atlantis running at 16 knots and the weather giving him another two plus the Island approach 1/2 knot he will be at 18 no matter what. ......Quote "Trevor allowed himself a smile. “Yeah, but we’ll be a bit lighter without the mast, rig, and cockpit canopy. That’ll give us maybe another half knot. We’re also in an area of westbound current that runs about a knot and a half, plus there’s the effect of the storm surge on the coast north of us that’s speeding the current up by about a knot. In moderate seas, with a bit of helm input to play the swells, we’ll be fast enough, barely, to stay in the eye. I think.”  So by Trevor's estimation the boat will be running at 18 knots no matter what. He can to  keep the boat in place he can make landfall. Frankly I see Captain Pickard and company unlikey to make a rescue!!!

Methinks more clues are in the prologue again.... :2thumbs:  Stormy weather is alluded to but not seen (a light northerly chop is mentioned about the sea conditions) at the beginning of the story, The launch of space shuttle Atlantis is a major occurence at the time and deception about the condition and whereabouts of a certain catermeran... The current situation sees... Stormy weather :devil: (Severe Hurricane), The landing of Space shuttle Endeavor :lmao:  (not mentioned so far but definitely happened around the time of Deans landfall) and confusion about the whereabouts and condition (Well confusion as to how she will escape the storm) of another certain catermeran...  Rachel, in the prologue heads South East...  if we're following suit maybe the Atlantis goes the other way... South West  I believe it was mentioned that their salvation could lie in that direction.... :)

Meh! Trevor will wake up in a hospital bed with Shane sitting next to him the entire time he was in a coma. The entire sequence from Australia to Hurricane Dean was a coma-induced dream. :o  

Why is Trevor in a hospital in a coma? That's for the goat to tell us in the last chapter. :sheep:

Colin B)

“Hi” he shakily said, “my name’s Nick”. The circle of others in chairs looked at him encouragingly.

He went on, “and I’m a Circumnavigation addict”. At this, a collective gasp escaped the others, for they knew, there was no hope for Nick...

• Like 4

Endless speculation occurring during another endless wait on a herculean saga that has spanned publication over more than two years.  

CJ realizes we want closure and I realize he has a lot of threads left to tie-up, but the a-n-t-i-c-i-p-a-t-i-o-n is overwhelming. 

• Like 1

Endless speculation occurring during another endless wait on a herculean saga that has spanned publication over more than two years.  

CJ realizes we want closure and I realize he has a lot of threads left to tie-up, but the a-n-t-i-c-i-p-a-t-i-o-n is overwhelming.

On April 20, CJ, you stated that would "endeavor to get the final chapter finished promptly, no more long waits". On May 6, you said you expected to have the final chapter in beta within 48 hours. Life happens, and my love and respect are as deep as ever, but my friend, with the end so close, you're killin' us here, dude! Just give us another idea of when. Please?

I am disgusted with myself for taking so long. I apologize. If I was a reader I'd be pissed, no ifs and or buts about it. (I promised a schedule, and recent dealyas have been way the hell out of bounds.)

I also promised updates on how it was going, and I failed on that as well.

I can give some reasons... My life pretty well blew up a few weeks ago, and my water heater literally did. I was just getting back in the groove last week when I came down with severe food poisoning that lasted for days (I did go to the doctor and am recovering). I had a host of other stuff going on as well, like garage door opener falling on my SUV, just minor stuff that alone would be minor, but all together with the rest made for, well, a mess.

I'll also add that I had a computer issue related to the food poisoning. To avoid bothering the squeamish, let's just say that I learned the hard way it wasn't a good idea to be working on the chapter with food poisoning, and I had to do some major cleaning of my keyboard before I could do anything more with this PC (I don't have a spare compatible keyboard). 

I have been working on the chapter. It's unfortunately large; larger than Doomsday, so we're probably looking at four chapter's worth (and yes, it's still the final). I guess it has elephantiasis; I didn't think it would be this large. (I utterly suck at estimating such things). I've also been within a day (I thought) of finishing it for over a week. My current guess is it goes to the first Beta Saturday, but I'll try to see if I can wrap it today (Friday).

I've been putting every bit of time I can in on this; that's part of why I haven't been online for so long, not even in this forum that I love so much.

I am truly ver sorry for all of this.

To those that I owe PMs and emails to, and also for those waiting for replies to forum posts, please give me a couple of days until I finish this chapter.

Sorry.

CJ

Life really HAS happened to you recenty, my friend! I'm sure I speak for all of your other friends out there in saying that we feel for ya. And just knowing what's been going on allows us to have the added patience to wait a little longer for that humongous last chapter. At least that's all I needed, was a quick update. You hang in there, and so will we. Take care!!

• Like 1

...To avoid bothering the squeamish, let's just say that I learned the hard way it wasn't a good idea to be working on the chapter with food poisoning, and I had to do some major cleaning of my keyboard before I could do anything more with this PC...

I'm not squeamish, but that was TMI, goat.

Glad you're feeling better now.  Thanks for the update.

I hate to make light of your troubles, CJ, but as I understand about the water heater, the garage door opener???  You do actually look over your house once in a while, don't you? :P  Just remember, if the garage door thingy is a little wobbly...maybe you should tighten it up??? :unsure: And if there is a foot of water around your water tank...it's not a good thing...I know, I know, it ain't funny and some of the same type things have happened to me, well, not the food poisoning, but some of the stuff has!  Lucky for me my partner is perfectly willing to let me fix all things and not fail to point out things I have missed.  God love him!!! :angry:

Be that as it may, I hope you are recovering well from all your troubles.  Take you time with the last chapter, longer is better in all things!

Edited by Clydee

CJ, I'm enjoying reading the discussion here in your forum - not as much as reading the story (epic novel) but still good! Weird stuff does happen in real life. Last week the ground wires at our incoming electrical lines were damaged by the gardener and I woke up one day with voltage spikes in the house. Almost took out my computer, and our furnace, but PG&E was there within the hour and took care of it. So take your time and don't rush it. This is the last chapter - once published, you can't go back!

While waiting for the last chapter of Circumnavigation, here's a suggestion. It's the perfect time to refamiliarize yourself with one of CJ's earlier efforts. I'm rereading For the Love and enjoying it all over again! Jake is also worth another visit, as is almost any of CJ's earlier work. Or, if that doesn't help, you can't go wrong with any of Dom Luka's contributions. New is great, but there's a lot to be said for the tried and true, as well. It'll make the wait easier, because we already know the wait will be worth it.

I have been working on the chapter. It's unfortunately large; larger than Doomsday, so we're probably looking at four chapter's worth (and yes, it's still the final). I guess it has elephantiasis; I didn't think it would be this large. (I utterly suck at estimating such things). I've also been within a day (I thought) of finishing it for over a week. My current guess is it goes to the first Beta Saturday, but I'll try to see if I can wrap it today (Friday).

CJ

If the chapter's as large as you say it is, is it worth splitting it in two? Of course, it may be that, given your well-known aversion to all things vertiginous, there may be no suitable place to break it.

Just a thought.

It should have been obvious from the context - I mean, what's the one thing that we all know CJ hates more than anything else?

Getting caught checking out a cliff looking for a nice place to put a hanger?

There are no cliffhangers in Circumnavigation! :P

Just a quick note to say that the final chapter is now in first-round beta. Yep, I actually got it done and mailed out.

No splits, it's the final. It just seemed to work better that way (all in one).

It's a lot large then Doomsday; it's the size of four large chapters. (that's one of the reason I took so long; this many words is about a month's worth at normal posting rates).

Right now, I urgently need to sleep. I'll come back to the forum in a few hours; I have a lot of catching up to do (I've been spending every spare minute on the chapter lately)

CJ :)

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..