Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation (99+56) The Belly of the Beast

Poor goat!  One catastrophe after another.  Is there any chance of your telling us how the garage door got wrecked?

While we all look forward to the final chapter, we need you to know one thing...our patience has been thoroughly tested.  Put another way, cliffhangers grow with time.

Hope you have a better week than last.

You mean that if the wait is any longer, the current chapter might be considered a cliffy? YIPES!!! Okay, I'll redouble my efforts and get it done! Maybe even cut that 48 hours to 24... 

As for what caused the garage door problem... it was gravity. :) (I'll explain lower down).

Hmmm its ominous that Ahab's last quote in Moby dick was... "to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee" He was then dragged under by his nemesis, which later destroys all the whaling boats,crew and the Pequod. :lmao: I'm sure CJ has a Whale of an ending planned... :gikkle:  oooops!!

Does that line from Melville have anything to do with the final chapter? Why yes, yes it does. :) (Good catch!!) 

Given the story is big long huge I'd say there was a fair need for an epilogue to follow at a decent interval as the chance CJ has forgotten something is quite big, despite goats appearing to rival elephants in the memory stakes.

As for the list of woes, the fact that car trouble is next to a wreaked garage door strongly suggests a hoof/brain interface problem and perhaps he drove the car into the garage door... A trifle unkind, but I just have that kind of imagination!

0:)

I think you're right. I did forget the birthday present, and who knows what other little details, so I'm going to wait in the epilogue until we've had a thread on it.

You're right, the car and garage problems are related, but this time it wasn't me. :) (I'll get to that below)

The garage door opener had a major malfunction; mounting bracket failure. It yanked the door off the tracks as well as a large part of itself off the ceiling, and thus did some damage to my SUV as well as making the door unusable for a bit (I now have it working again, though manually). I also had an exhaust leak (unrelated) on the SUV to fix.

so um... perhaps they don't survive? Has CJ, anywhere along the way, GUARANTEED that he will not kill of any or all of the four currently on the boat? While this story is currently tagged as "Thriller/Suspense, Mystery, Adventure", perhaps CJ is just waiting till the last chapter to add 'Tragedy''

I'm also wondering: Did you drive into the garage door? Sorry to hear about the recent troubles.

Can we forbid you to light any matches so you don't tempt fate, I want no explosions!

The only thing I have absolutely guaranteed is that each and every chapter of Circumnavigation is utterly and entirely cliffhanger-free.

Oh, and also that the story will conclude in less than 100 chapters, and before the end of December, 2012.

Beyond that, I make no guarantees. :)

I didn't drive into the garage door. Not this time, anyway. :*)

A few years ago, I raised the SUV (to increase ground clearance) and had new, larger tires put on it. I drove home, thrilled with the higher ground clearance (I need it in my area, I spend a lot of time on old mining trails) and pulled into my garage. Or tried. I'd neglected one little details: keeping the height of my SUV less than the height of the header beam of my garage door opening. 

I was informed of this detail by a resounding Crunch as I drove in - or tried to. I made it about halfway.

The SUV was less than in inch too tall, but that was plenty. The light bar and cargo rails hit the beam. I ended up having to fix the damage and then put on different light bar lights (lower profile). It would have been far better (and less noisy) had I thought of the height issue first.

Ooops.     blush1.gif

I'm still hoping that they ride the eye to land and are able to seek shelter :yes: It would certainly add a great ending to Trevor and Shanes book :thumbup: Even with the ref to Melvilles novel it could still mean "emerging from the eye" :lmao:

There's also one other little detail to take care of; what's left of the cartel (their people in Colombia, Bahamas, etc) want Trevor and Shane dead. But that, like their little conundrum of being stuck in the eye, are issues concluded in the next (the final) chapter.

However, look at the bright side; while in the eye, Atlantis and her crew are totally safe from the cartel. :)

• Like 1

Does that line from Melville have anything to do with the final chapter? Why yes, yes it does. :) (Good catch!!) 

There's also one other little detail to take care of; what's left of the cartel (their people in Colombia, Bahamas, etc) want Trevor and Shane dead. But that, like their little conundrum of being stuck in the eye, are issues concluded in the next (the final) chapter.

However, look at the bright side; while in the eye, Atlantis and her crew are totally safe from the cartel. :)

Taking another tack (excuse the pun) ;)  Maybe Ahab (who was a villain after all) is indicative of the Cartel and an injured Moby Dick is indicative of Atlantis and her crew...... That being said we all know what transpired in the Melville novel and hopefully it will follow suit in the C James epic :whistle:

• Like 1

B) .............I have not responded to this topic, because I'm still confused on their being saved. After the last comment, the only way out of the belly is to ride it out into landfall in Mexico. I'm not concerned about the remaining cartel of Bridget or the first of among others, the ones on the Island of Jamaica are finished, the others in the Caribbean will be taken out by the opposing cartel via Frank's phone call. If the US is able to track the Atlantis and pinpoint a time of her arrival, perhaps they can get in a helicopter to rescue them while still in the eye and landfall loosened winds of the storm, as I doubt very much the Mexican government would attempt a rescue. The only problem I see is that Trevor would not want to leave Atlantis alone and abandoned. Still there is the Australian connection to be addressed, with the witch being dead the story only points to the rescue and safety of those aboard the Atlantis, most of all else is resolved here. A whale being a savior is hardly likely, nor is superman or Dorthy's shoes.

• Like 1

B) .............I have not responded to this topic, because I'm still confused on their being saved. After the last comment, the only way out of the belly is to ride it out into landfall in Mexico. I'm not concerned about the remaining cartel of Bridget or the first of among others, the ones on the Island of Jamaica are finished, the others in the Caribbean will be taken out by the opposing cartel via Frank's phone call. If the US is able to track the Atlantis and pinpoint a time of her arrival, perhaps they can get in a helicopter to rescue them while still in the eye and landfall loosened winds of the storm, as I doubt very much the Mexican government would attempt a rescue. The only problem I see is that Trevor would not want to leave Atlantis alone and abandoned. Still there is the Australian connection to be addressed, with the witch being dead the story only points to the rescue and safety of those aboard the Atlantis, most of all else is resolved here. A whale being a savior is hardly likely, nor is superman or Dorthy's shoes.

Hurricane Dean made landfall about 40 miles N/W of Chetumal in Mexico... There just happens to be a bay at that location that could provide some shelter from the eastern edge of the eye.(if they are still travelling at the western edge) A large peninsula juts out to the North East and if the Atlantis could get behind it then perhaps they would have the necessary shelter to survive the land fall... :thumbup:

• Like 1

While we wait patiently (hmmmm!) for the final chapter I did some research and thought y'all might find it as interesting as I did. According to Amazon's Text Stats and other sources, anything less than 50,000 words is not considered a novel by the publishing industry. The average novel ranges between 64,000 and 85,000 words. So far, by CJ's own count, Circumnavigation is at 1, 105, 701 words. Averaged out over the 3 years CJ has worked on the story, that compares to just shy of 5 "average-size" novels per year! Quite the feat, especially when you consider that all of us fans are just as invested in the story now (actually, even more so) than we were at the beginning. Impressive, to say the least.

• Like 2

Tomorrow (the evening of May 9 for U.S. dwellers) while it's dark in our hemisphere, the total eclipse passing over Queensland which Shane and his mother had planned to watch together, and which Trevor had promised to watch with Shane, will take place. Let's hope everyone, Queenslanders and our brave crew, get a good view.

• Like 1

Hurricane Dean made landfall about 40 miles N/W of Chetumal in Mexico... There just happens to be a bay at that location that could provide some shelter from the eastern edge of the eye.(if they are still travelling at the western edge) A large peninsula juts out to the North East and if the Atlantis could get behind it then perhaps they would have the necessary shelter to survive the land fall... :thumbup:

B) ..............Can you provide a map of the area where Dean will make landfall showing this cove/bay?   :thankyou: 

• Like 1

B) ..............Can you provide a map of the area where Dean will make landfall showing this cove/bay?   :thankyou:

Its actually a reserve area called Sian Ka'an there is small settlement on the point of the peninsula called Punta Herrero and the bay is called Bahia Venustiano Carranza The area is in green There are two bays but I think the northern one is a bit too far north... http://geo-mexico.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/map-yucatan-peninsula.jpg

Edited by Winemaker
  • Like 1

Its actually a reserve area called Sian Ka'an there is small settlement on the point of the peninsula called Punta Herrero and the bay is called Bahia Venustiano Carranza The area is in green There are two bays but I think the northern one is a bit too far north... http://geo-mexico.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/map-yucatan-peninsula.jpg

B) .........I agree the northern one might too much of a reach, however the southern one, Punta Herrero looks perfect if the southern west portion of the inlets harbor can protect the Atlantis from the punishing winds from the storms wrath. Landfall by itself will weaken the storm, but if Trevor can get the boat on the southwest of the inlet, Dean will only be able to push towards the land area  without too much force being overland and stricken by the terrain in its force. Besides the goat did mention that the escape from Dean needed to come from the southwest.  ;)  Thanks! I think that answered the question!

• Like 1

Dean's landfall;

here's a moving GIF of the IR imagery. 

070821_dean_ir_landfall.gif

The eye center makes landfall about a mile and a half south of Majahaul. Majahaul, BTW, is better known for its cruise port, Costa Maya, which is little more than a pier and a shopping complex.

Costa Maya (and Majahaul) was largely obliterated by Dean. I can attest to this firsthand; I was in Costa Maya a few months before, and also a few weeks after, Dean hit. (the first on a cruise, the second on a private boat). 

BTW, a close look at a map will show a little tiny (well, 30 miles wide) issue with the "ride to landfall" scenario. It's called Banco Chinchorro. It's about 20 miles offshore, and it's a massive reef complex that includes a few cays. It's almost 30 miles from north to south. In the eye, they cannot go around it, and the eye tracks right over it (it extends well north and south of the maximum width of the eye). And their chances of surviving a cat5 on an exposed reef or cay? 0.

CJ :) 

• Like 1

Dean's landfall;

The eye center makes landfall about a mile and a half south of Majahaul. Majahaul, BTW, is better known for its cruise port, Costa Maya, which is little more than a pier and a shopping complex.

Costa Maya (and Majahaul) was largely obliterated by Dean. I can attest to this firsthand; I was in Costa Maya a few months before, and also a few weeks after, Dean hit. (the first on a cruise, the second on a private boat). 

BTW, a close look at a map will show a little tiny (well, 30 miles wide) issue with the "ride to landfall" scenario. It's called Banco Chinchorro. It's about 20 miles offshore, and it's a massive reef complex that includes a few cays. It's almost 30 miles from north to south. In the eye, they cannot go around it, and the eye tracks right over it (it extends well north and south of the maximum width of the eye). And their chances of surviving a cat5 on an exposed reef or cay? 0.

Dean's landfall;

:angry: ............ Have I ever told you how evil you are goat?   :evil: 

• Like 2

Dean's landfall;

Well ya know... I thought that the proposal was pretty good :P  but that has all gone by the wayside now :thumbdown: and to be honest a lot of the maps don't show the Banco Chinchorro... I believe there is a popular honeymoon resort round about where the hurricane makes landfall... :rolleyes:  At least It'll be topical that they all die there... :(

Edited by Winemaker
  • Like 1

they aren't going to die....I never would have started reading the story if I had thought the author was going to kill off all my favorite characters. This is obviously very hardcore and unarguable logic, so don't try to convince me that I'm wrong.

Furthermore, what's the point of an epilogue in any other case?? They'll make their break before they get to Me Hee Co

Edited by bayoudreamn
  • Like 1
The chapter (the final one!) is almost done. I expect to have it in beta within 48 hours, providing nothing else explodes.

One wonders what sort of clocks are used in Australia.  December already has 161 days.  How long is an hour?

• Haha 1

I just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed everyone of the 1,105,701 words in this story.

And now Bridget got what was coming to her in spades. And was hoping at the last moment a White tip would eat her but then the poor thing would most likey die.

Just hope our hero's make it to shore.

Edited by Albert1434
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Well I think in the narration, CJ said that Atlantis crippled with no sails would not be able to keep up with the eye of the hurricane. That is why I discounted the riding it out to land option.

Another thought occurred to me :) Dolphins are known to help humans in need. Where do dolphins go in a hurricane? Isn't it possible that there is a pod (usually around 12) in the area. Could the dolphins do their part in getting them to shore in Jamaica if they four left on Atlantis could manage to keep their heads above water.

Option 2, a whale rescues them as well.

Last option, 3 Mermen for Trevor, Shane and Lisa and a Mermaid for Joel :D

The more I think about it, especially the part of where dolphins go in a hurricane (they need air after all, can't just dive and stay under), I think there is a actually possibility of this happening.

Will have to wait and see :P

• Like 1

Simple, easy-peasy solution:

put carrots out on life preservers, surrounding Atlantis on 3 sides

get kangaroos

put Lisa in the water tied to the bow

lisa becomes motorboat and pulls Atlantis to shore

Edited by Gene Splicer PHD
  • Like 1

Well I think in the narration, CJ said that Atlantis crippled with no sails would not be able to keep up with the eye of the hurricane. That is why I discounted the riding it out to land option.

Another thought occurred to me :) Dolphins are known to help humans in need. Where do dolphins go in a hurricane? Isn't it possible that there is a pod (usually around 12) in the area. Could the dolphins do their part in getting them to shore in Jamaica if they four left on Atlantis could manage to keep their heads above water.

The more I think about it, especially the part of where dolphins go in a hurricane (they need air after all, can't just dive and stay under), I think there is a actually possibility of this happening.

B) .........Steve, Steve, Steve LOL! .....So at Atlantis running at 16 knots and the weather giving him another two plus the Island approach 1/2 knot he will be at 18 no matter what. ......Quote "Trevor allowed himself a smile. “Yeah, but we’ll be a bit lighter without the mast, rig, and cockpit canopy. That’ll give us maybe another half knot. We’re also in an area of westbound current that runs about a knot and a half, plus there’s the effect of the storm surge on the coast north of us that’s speeding the current up by about a knot. In moderate seas, with a bit of helm input to play the swells, we’ll be fast enough, barely, to stay in the eye. I think.”  So by Trevor's estimation the boat will be running at 18 knots no matter what. He can to  keep the boat in place he can make landfall. Frankly I see Captain Pickard and company unlikey to make a rescue!!!

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..