Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation (99+56) The Belly of the Beast

After reading this I remembered that Trevor almost was drowned after being tossed overboard by the pirates, so its fitting in a way. 

Compare this from chapter 48:

Terrified and alone in the stygian darkness, feeling the crushing pressure, forsaken and in utter agony, his lungs burning like fire, Trevor struggled, fighting, snatching at his wrists in vain fury, raging to the last against his fate, sinking ever deeper into the sea he had so loved

With this from chapter 155:

Raging against her fate, Bridget struggled on, fighting for every breath in the churning sea, coughing from every inhaled bit of seawater, hungering for the next wretched breath, pounded by the next brutal wave.

The author has tied two different scenes together with similar wording...but different outcomes.

I just don't know how the goat does it!  Another outstanding chapter as we come to the end of this great ride… Thanks to CJ and team for the great entertainment this story has provided.

It has been a great ride. C J has spent a lot of time researching and writing during this voyage which has lasted more than three years.  An actual circumnavigation would take less time.

B) ...........Humm, I got to wonder if as the eye approaches the island will the island block the high winds, enough to calm the waters so that  Trevor can make his escape to the west or southwest? It is either that or making landfall while in the eye, and I don't see that happening, if the tracker is right, the eye looks to skirt the island. So the only way I can see out of it, is if the island rescues the Atlantis from punishing winds enough for them to escape.

The other problem I see is those boats that were dispatched to the SW of the storm and survived, will they pursue Trevor? Or have they lost the stomach for this fight after hearing about Trevor taking out Bridget and the number one? Without a Capo on their boats and no way to communicate until the storm passes with the others on the island. Of course this is only if Trevor uses the VHS with the overhead plane, thus alerting the other cartel boats.

I would imagine even against the odds of survival, the US has launched a ship to the area outside the storm of course, especially since they have spotted her moving west on her own power, the plane above can give Trevor readings of the storm as it passes the island while he is still in the eye. Frank has given the Norte Cartel a green light on Bridget's remaining cartel.  Boy is the press going to love this one! 

Edited by Benji
  • Site Moderator

After reading this I remembered that Trevor almost was drowned after being tossed overboard by the pirates, so its fitting in a way. 

So I'm wondering tho, CJames, do you have a background in all things nautical, boating, weather etc... or do you have to put a hell of a lot of effort into researching and learning stuff to write this? I love how you manage to include 'tidbits' so to speak of information about one thing or another that makes it all seem 'more real'

Cheers

CJ has done a lot of research throughout the story.  He also says this about one of the team.

RedA: A technical expert in many things, he most often reads for technical accuracy, and also lets me bounce what-ifs off him, to see if they’d work. It’s in large part his knowledge that gives my current novel, Circumnavigation, its real feel when it comes to yachting, and he helps in many other aspects as well.

He also has a team member, Graeme, who is Australian.

Wonderful chapter, certainly worth waiting for!  I wonder, I've heard a few ideas thrown out about how  to rescue them and the only viable one to me seems to be a V22 Osprey, and imagine they would have to be very lucky at that!  Let's see what CJ has come up with in the next chapter...even superman would have his hands full with these conditions... :myr:

I wouldn't go near that storm with an aircraft carrier!

Edited by Clydee

So I was fairly certain CJ was going to use the eye which did weaken before it passed Jamaica. Now is the real challenge, Dean picks up to a Cat5 until it makes landfall.

How will you save our valiant crew CJ? Looking forward the the finale chapters, and continuing research on recipes featuring goat.

• Like 1

What about stationary oil platforms along the path of the eye? I can't find a map of them but certainly parts of that area have them, and while I'd hate to weather a cat 5 storm in one, it's far better than being in a cat. One could even imagine it being the basis of a plot point to keep Atlantis intact post-storm.

• Like 2

• Posted 141st December 2012 - 04:20 PM
The Belly of the Beast is up! (it might take a minute after this post to appear).

Okay, we've got a chapter up at long last. I sincerely apologize for the delay.

This chapter was originally called "Hellbound", until I was made aware (thanks!!!) than I'd used that one before. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm now positive; after this chapter, we have ONE more (and an epilogue) remaining. This is the next-to-last chapter.

Posted 141st December 2012 - 04:20 PM</p>

• Like 1

Ok Mr James, you're forgiven... FOR NOW! Take care as you are still 'on notice'. Any repitition of this '4 souls, 3 beating hearts' marlarkey will have dire consequences. I would like a nice pleasant final chapter followed by a 'and they lived happily ever after' epilogue.

Thank you.

Stephen.

• Like 1

Frank has given the Norte Cartel a green light on Bridget's reamining cartel.  Boy is the press going to love this one! 

Interesting idea, Benji.  In the midst of all the action, I hadn't thought much about Frank's little phone call.  He could be responsible for wiping out the remnants of Bridget's little world.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

I agree that Frank has unleashed the Norte cartel on the remnants of Bridget's and the other capos. If one thing is consistent is that cartels will wait for a moment of weakness before pouncing and making their rivals operation theirs. I imagine in the next chapter we will learn of the death of the families of the Cartel and the elimination of the ones hiding in Treasure Cove. If Trevor, Shane, Joel and Lisa survive, they will not have to hide anymore as Bridget's and the FAE's cartel are the only ones to know of the tape and the revelations.

Tomorrow I will do some research to see if a boat has ever survived in the eye of a hurricane. I know people on land have, but not sure on the open seas. I wouldn't mind seeing the crew of Atlantis enjoying a few Corona's on the beaches of Mexico as the hurricane deposits them on shore ;)

• Like 1

I suspect that Dean will have taken care of the Cartel guys at Treasure Beach long before the Norte Cartel can get to them.

CJ sent me a picture of an aircraft carrier that had survived a Cat 5 hurricane. It wasn't a pretty site though it was still afloat. I'd imagine that Atlantis would be reduced to matchwood pretty quickly.

• Like 1

I just want to applaud the goat on another well researched and written chapter.  While he successfully managed to avoid any cliffs I still think there is a rather steep hill there...

Trevor was shot and although it was not all that deep, if the bullet penetrated the abdominal cavity at all that makes controlling the bleeding very difficult because it can just bleed into his belly even if they bandage the wound on the surface.  Let's hope that this bullet only hit the muscle and underlying fascia and did not go any deeper.  While he lost a lot of blood the fact that he is young and healthy and still conscious at this point with the bleeding hopefully under control are all very big pluses for him but if he still has some bleeding he'll only be able to compensate for so long.

Shane, however, is on very shaky ground.  Lightning strikes can be very, very bad.  As was mentioned in the story, lightning can cause all sorts of heart problems (Ventricular fibrillation and asystole being the most common I've learned about).  Luckily though, the sinoatrial node is rhythmic and even after a depolarization from a lightning strike can resume its pacemaking duties as long as enough cardiac muscle remains viable after the strike to contract on each impulse. It appears that Shane is very lucky because his heart resumed its automaticity pretty quickly AND his nervous system was still functional to the point he could breath and even respond a little.  I'm afraid that's where the good news ends.  Due to the amount of electricity that went through his body Shane could have some serious underlying trauma including fractured bones (think neck and spine along with that) and even worse, a lot of damaged tissue.  

The damaged tissue can come from burns and also just stressing the muscles too much.  All of this leads to cellular break down which releases toxic metabolites, potassium, and in the case of muscle myoglobin into the blood.  If his potassium gets too high in his blood his heart will stop and CPR will not bring it back this time.  The myoglobin can 'clog' his kidneys and cause acute renal failure (usually a later sign).  To help all of this Shane needs medical care and the longer he waits the higher his chances of dying are.  He needs at minimum an IV so he can get 1.5 L/hr of fluid and some bicarbonate to help flush all of this out of his body.  

While this might not be a cliffhanger there definitely is a deadfall that we should look out for.  The only way out of this with Shane surviving (if he sustained that kind of damage) is a rescue inside the eye BEFORE they make landfall.

Also, kudos on the explanation between chest-compression-only CPR and the traditional method.  The American Heart Association is pushing chest-compression-only CPR because most cardiac arrests are cardiac events (i.e. it was something wrong with the heart).  The rationale behind this is that on inspired air the lungs receive around 21% oxygen.  During exhale there is something like 14-16% oxygen (depending on the source you read) left in the air.  During a cardiac arrest there is more than enough oxygen in the blood to last several minutes without another breath; it just isn't circulating.  Along with that, it takes 5-6 good compressions to resume a coronary perfusion pressure that is life sustainable; each pause in compressions is detrimental to survival.  The exceptions to this are anything that could have a respiratory cause because if there is a problem with the respiratory system then there is most likely not enough oxygen in the blood at the time of the cardiac arrest.  Children are included in the group of "use regular CPR" because the majority of cardiac arrests in children are respiratory in nature (i.e. they stopped breathing and then the heart stopped).

• Like 1

B) ............Okay, I have been wracking my brain out trying to figure out a way for our heros to reach safety, my original assumption was that the island would protect them enought to escape west or southwest and I dismissed the island landing. Dean broke down to a cat 4 upon Jamaica, so is it possible that the counterclock winds are further decreased by the island, could Atlantis sailed by Trevor make it to Black River Bay?  Perhaps even going up Black River itself; see map ................

http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/jm/jmmap.shtml

It is shelterd a bit from the south, could he run in to it if the island taking the brunt of the storm diminishes the brunt of the winds from the east?  This is also the only way I could see Atlantis surviving with the gold Trevor will need to rebuild his beloved Atalantis again.

It is going to be pretty tough to tie in all the loose ends to this story in another chapter, you have the Austrialia connection, the cartel, the Florida connection, the medical problems of Trevor and Shane, and of course the current problems facing our heros.

The problem I see is that he is racing west, which gave me the idea of him making it out of the storm via the islands obstruction of the winds, and his speed is better in that direction, but then I thought what if the ideal conditions outlined he turned north and east and could make landfall?

Edited by Benji
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Oh, I think I have changed my mind CJ :D Can I get the promised chapter with pink fluffy bunnies hitting Atlantis instead of lightning please!

• Like 1

I'm not that worried about Shane's condition.  They can get a plane to drop medical supplies and they have communication.  To some extent, assuming Trevor's wound isn't too deep they could even drop some blood for a transfusion, if he knows his type.  The other two are going to have a lot to do for a couple of days of initial recuperation, but they have always been willing to take on hard work before.  I'm not saying the issues aren't important, but they can be dealt with at least for now.  To me the real issue is how much of a safe haven is atlantis going to provide.  We know she's damaged, and even without the hurricane winds the constant motion of the sea is going to take its toll, continuing to weaken her.  Is there any way they can provide a temporary patch or otherwise strengthen the hull?

CJ has enough issues to start a whole new series, but he promises one more chapter and an epilogue.  A chapter in 12 parts released every two weeks for the rest of "December"?

• Like 1

If I were stuck in a Cat 5 hurricane, and I knew that my boat would be smashed to flinders if I attempted to pass the core wall again, I'd look for another way out.  One would seem to be to ride in the eye, and I have personally driven in the eye of a hurricane in a car, so I know it is possible to keep pace, but then, Atlantis doesn't quite have its full power left to it.  Also, I'd fear the conditions of landfall and then the danger of being left to have the wall pass over me on a potentially exposed beach (which would be the kind I'd be looking for just to beach safely).

That leaves me two options: up or down.  Up has problems.  The plane overhead can't descend, or it won't be able to achieve liftoff again, and there are no available helicopters.  Down also has problems.  No submarines, as has been pointed out.

There is another option, but I really don't know the math here.  There's another way down.  We know that Atlantis is a dive charter.  We also know that insurance was set to pay out for all the personal materials seized by the pirates.  From the charter way back when with the lesbian and her flirty sisters, we know that Atlantis typically carries at least 4 diving getups.  We were given plenty of education about dive belts, decompression sickness, the group's training, and so on much earlier on in the story.  Is a scuba tank Chekhov's gun?  Will the gang take a dive?  Gun, tanks, leftover rope, EPIRB, some glow sticks, and done?

Problems: a quick Google search tells me that one or two tanks would be pretty limited in duration especially given the variance in different atmospheres' depths' compression.  How deep would they have to go to survive the stormy seas?  Surely not the 200 ft quoted for a sub.  How long would they have to stay under to survive the passage of a 20 mph storm roughly the size of Texas?  Would Shane be able to regulate his breath successfully after having his heart restarted?  Would Trevor pass out from the pain or the blood loss by osmotic effect?  Would his blood attract Atlantic species of sharks?  Would the beloved chrome plated gun help in such circumstances?  How would they all stay together?  I dunno, but I'd probably try it myself, as terrified as I am of open water.

If they could survive it, and if Atlantis was destroyed, I'd hope that the guys' novel had been saved on the internet somewhere (verisimilitudinously compared to gayauthors), and I'd feel bad for poor, newly-restored Atlantis, but I'd be happy she made her circumnavigation, at least.  And hey, as for that gold carefully concealed in the hull, maybe the experimental sonar developer would be interested in a very late search of the ocean floor, not horrendously farther than he'd originally planned and with the assistance of the Ares/Kookaburra.

Now, what I want to know (and bear in mind I just started reading this all last week, so it's all gone by at lightning speed for me) is what happened with Trevor's birthday, and what did his mother give Shane to hide on the boat?

• Like 1

If I were stuck in a Cat 5 hurricane, and I knew that my boat would be smashed to flinders if I attempted to pass the core wall again, I'd look for another way out.  One would seem to be to ride in the eye, and I have personally driven in the eye of a hurricane in a car, so I know it is possible to keep pace, but then, Atlantis doesn't quite have its full power left to it.  Also, I'd fear the conditions of landfall and then the danger of being left to have the wall pass over me on a potentially exposed beach (which would be the kind I'd be looking for just to beach safely).

That leaves me two options: up or down.  Up has problems.  The plane overhead can't descend, or it won't be able to achieve liftoff again, and there are no available helicopters.  Down also has problems.  No submarines, as has been pointed out.

There is another option, but I really don't know the math here.  There's another way down.  We know that Atlantis is a dive charter.  We also know that insurance was set to pay out for all the personal materials seized by the pirates.  From the charter way back when with the lesbian and her flirty sisters, we know that Atlantis typically carries at least 4 diving getups.  We were given plenty of education about dive belts, decompression sickness, the group's training, and so on much earlier on in the story.  Is a scuba tank Chekhov's gun?  Will the gang take a dive?  Gun, tanks, leftover rope, EPIRB, some glow sticks, and done?

Problems: a quick Google search tells me that one or two tanks would be pretty limited in duration especially given the variance in different atmospheres' depths' compression.  How deep would they have to go to survive the stormy seas?  Surely not the 200 ft quoted for a sub.  How long would they have to stay under to survive the passage of a 20 mph storm roughly the size of Texas?  Would Shane be able to regulate his breath successfully after having his heart restarted?  Would Trevor pass out from the pain or the blood loss by osmotic effect?  Would his blood attract Atlantic species of sharks?  Would the beloved chrome plated gun help in such circumstances?  How would they all stay together?  I dunno, but I'd probably try it myself, as terrified as I am of open water.

If they could survive it, and if Atlantis was destroyed, I'd hope that the guys' novel had been saved on the internet somewhere (verisimilitudinously compared to gayauthors), and I'd feel bad for poor, newly-restored Atlantis, but I'd be happy she made her circumnavigation, at least.  And hey, as for that gold carefully concealed in the hull, maybe the experimental sonar developer would be interested in a very late search of the ocean floor, not horrendously farther than he'd originally planned and with the assistance of the Ares/Kookaburra.

Now, what I want to know (and bear in mind I just started reading this all last week, so it's all gone by at lightning speed for me) is what happened with Trevor's birthday, and what did his mother give Shane to hide on the boat?

B) ......... Tevors mom shocked Trevor in her apperance as he thought she was dead, her gift to him was the long promised sea shell on her 'fateful' voyage. Shane's mother died in a tragic auto accident where Shane was driving but not at fault, she has no bearing on this story, Shane has been reluctant to drive since. In studying the storms trajectory and the islands 4000+ elevation, I see an opening fro Trevor to head northeast to the island on the west side, buffering the storms fury by the islands elevation may give him a window to escape.

• Like 1

B) ......... Tevors mom shocked Trevor in her apperance as he thought she was dead, her gift to him was the long promised sea shell on her 'fateful' voyage. Shane's mother died in a tragic auto accident where Shane was driving but not at fault, she has no bearing on this story, Shane has been reluctant to drive since. In studying the storms trajectory and the islands 4000+ elevation, I see an opening fro Trevor to head northeast to the island on the west side, buffering the storms fury by the islands elevation may give him a window to escape.

I think CJ mentions earlier in the forum that there is no way for the atlantis to exit the eye of the storm... :devil:  I known that Dean made first landfall (it made two) at the Yucatan Peninsula on August 21st the quote from wiki says: "Upon reaching Mexico, Hurricane Dean was a Category 5 storm, but it missed major population centers and its exceptional Category 5 strength landfall caused no deaths and less damage than in the Caribbean islands it passed as a Category 2 storm." It seems to me that Trevor has tried as much as is possible to attain the fastest speed to remain in the eye. If this can be maintained (following the course of the storm) and they reach land while still travelling at the western edge of the eye, it would surely give them time to leave Atlantis and seek shelter inland a ways before the eastern edge of the eye arrived.. Just a thought :)

• Like 2

Ah, right! I knew my brain was failing me somehow, but I couldn't connect it all. Lots of chapters, very fast. But now I'm in the waiting position here just inches from the finish line with everyone else.

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..