Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Where the hell is the final chapter!?!?!?

Okay, where the hell is the final chapter (From Hell's HEart)?

I don't blame anyone who is mad at me for the delays. I never intended or wanted such huge waits, and I apologize.

I apologize too for the lack of updates. I've had internet connection issues on top of a lot else.

Now for the chapter. The chapter is through beta (the team did an astounding job!) and it is in Emoe's hands for editing (the final step). Bear in mind it's larger than 4 regular chapters (and thus is a hell of a large thing for the team to have to deal with). In fact, a novel is defined as being over 40,000 words, so this chapter is over half a novel if we use that metric. Such a large chapter takes more time in all ways. I am hopeful that we will have it soon. I WON"T wait for any posting day to post it; once I have it back, I'll get it online. If my internet trouble is still ongoing, that will cause a few hour's delay because I'll need to drive into town with my laptop, but at worst I'll post it within 24 hours of getting it. 

I  also had no idea the final would be such a large chapter, but it is. The same can be said of the whole story; it's far longer (and has taken far longer) than I ever thought. It's not as long as War & Peace, but it's sure a lot longer than I ever thought.

BTW, in case anyone has any doubts, this *IS* the final chapter. After it comes the epilogue (I'm working on that now, it's not large). What I plan on doing is having (after the final posts) a forum thread so we can list any loose ends that need addressing in the epilogue (basically, in case I forgot anything).

Oh, BTW, a minor spoiler for the final chapter; the word "aardvark" isn't in it.

CJ :)

• Like 3
I  also had no idea the final would be such a large chapter, but it is. The same can be said of the whole story; it's far longer (and has taken far longer) than I ever thought. It's not as long as War & Peace, but it's sure a lot longer than I ever thought.

Actually, it's getting on for twice as long as War and Peace.

According to Wikipedia, W&P is about 561,000 words. According to GayAuthors, Circumnavigation is over 1,100,000 words, even without the final chapter.

In fact, adding in the final chapter (20,304 words), makes Circumnavigation the second longest novel ever published, on Wikipedia's list anyway.

However, I must protest. Giving away key plot lines at this stage is simply unacceptable. I'm sure I wasn't alone in assuming that the use of an aardvark's burrow on the Yucatan would have provided ideal shelter from the storm. Although I, of course, now know that that wasn't the case, it seems grossly unfair to those millions of others still waiting to see the final chapter. Shame on you, CJ! :angry:

Edited by Low Flyer

CJ, don't sweat it. I complain all the time about having to wait, but I'm not mad at you.....and I completely understand that writing 20,000 plus words takes a minute or two (I'm using goat timing, no rationale to it at all, quite easy to understand once you determine there's nothing to understand.....just say something and call it timing and using goat timing that is 100% accurate and totally useless, unless you use it in December after the 31st of December...then it's useful.......for something.......I'm sure......but I should probably ask an aardvark).

• Like 1

Yay!

Here's what's missing:

Porc_formiguer.JPG

Aardvark, Porc formiguer

Is that a cliff just beyond the Aardvark?? What were you saying is missing??

Edited by bayoudreamn
  • Like 1

Is that a cliff just beyond the Aardvark?? What were you saying is missing??

Probably just a wall; I didn't take the picture.  Your second question?  It's what the author said is missing from the final chapter.  A chapter that long, it may be the only thing missing.

Oh, BTW, a minor spoiler for the final chapter; the word "aardvark" isn't in it.
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator

MikeL, on 01 Jun 2013 - 04:31 AM, said:snapback.png

Yay!

Here's what's missing:

Porc_formiguer.JPG

Aardvark, Porc formiguer

Probably just a wall.

Mike :o . How can you say just a wall? Any wall, even the great wall of China doesn't reach the atmosphere. At the top of any wall could be what we all know as a cliff.

Before CJ makes a claim that there is no aardvarks because they do have something to do with cliffs, I wouldn't be surprised if his spoiler was a bit of deflection of some sort. I'm guessing that instead of the storm raining down pink fluffy bunnies, it will be raining down aardvarks on to our four occupants of Atlantis ;)

One final thought, if this all happened in 2009 and we are making the assumption that Trevor and Shane survive, they were writing a book about the whole adventure so maybe we don't need to wait for CJ to finish his story, Trevor and Shane's book must be out there somewhere :D

*Off to Google to get the book first*

• Like 1

Probably just a wall; I didn't take the picture.  Your second question?  It's what the author said is missing from the final chapter.  A chapter that long, it may be the only thing missing.

I'm sure it's a cliff, which is most assuredly why CJ would never include the word "aardvark" in a chapter in this 'novel' because he absolutely does (not) use cliffs or come anywhere near them.

Edited by bayoudreamn
Mike :o . How can you say just a wall? Any wall, even the great wall of China doesn't reach the atmosphere. At the top of any wall could be what we all know as a cliff.

I'm sure it's a cliff, which is most assuredly why CJ would never include the word "aardvark" in a chapter in this 'novel' because he absolutely does (not) use cliffs or come anywhere near them.

Original caption on the picture:  An aardvark at Detroit Zoo.  Are there any cliffs in Detroit?  Don't think so; that area was shaved flat by a glacier.

I've been trying to figure out the riddle of CJ's chapter titles. This one is "From Hell's HEart". 

So, what do we know:

1. Use of the word 'from' in conjuction with Hell's HEart. It means something was in Hell's Heart and now it isn't at some point. I think we understand that the hurricane has been referred to here before as "hell" and the heart would refer to the core or eye....which is where they were at the conclusion of the last chapter

2.  Why is HE in HEart capitalized, or does that mean we are emphasizing a male character, and why the use of the word heart. Does this cast focus on Shane?? Does Shane live. It could have just been that CJ held down the shift key too long.

3. The least likely to die at this point would be Joel and Lisa because they have no injuries of note.

4. Worries about Trevor have to do with blood loss and his pig headedly stubborn resistance to let go of a boat (tub)

5. Worries about Shane have to do with the effects of electrocution.

6. What good can come out of becoming out of the heart of the storm from their present position?

Edited by bayoudreamn

Actually, it's getting on for twice as long as War and Peace.

According to Wikipedia, W&P is about 561,000 words. According to GayAuthors, Circumnavigation is over 1,100,000 words, even without the final chapter.

In fact, adding in the final chapter (20,304 words), makes Circumnavigation the second longest novel ever published, on Wikipedia's list anyway.

However, I must protest. Giving away key plot lines at this stage is simply unacceptable. I'm sure I wasn't alone in assuming that the use of an aardvark's burrow on the Yucatan would have provided ideal shelter from the storm. Although I, of course, now know that that wasn't the case, it seems grossly unfair to those millions of others still waiting to see the final chapter. Shame on you, CJ! :angry:

Ummm, you;re forgetting Australian maths, and how they effect the word count for the primarily-Australian chapters.

And, even if we go with the GA stories word count (GA's current software lacks the ability to adjust for Australian maths) it's still true; 560,000 is not the same as 1,100,000. :P

Sorry for the minor spoiler, but I just thought it best to say so, in order to reassure the aardvark-phobic that they have nothing to fear from this chapter. 

ROFL!!!

CJ, don't sweat it. I complain all the time about having to wait, but I'm not mad at you.....and I completely understand that writing 20,000 plus words takes a minute or two (I'm using goat timing, no rationale to it at all, quite easy to understand once you determine there's nothing to understand.....just say something and call it timing and using goat timing that is 100% accurate and totally useless, unless you use it in December after the 31st of December...then it's useful.......for something.......I'm sure......but I should probably ask an aardvark).

It was more than the length; I had a lot of things going on, including an exploding water heater that did considerable damage (water makes quite a mess). Plus, I think I spent a lot more time fiddling with the final chapters, because they are the finals. They were also quite complex (as we saw in Doomsday) and required more research time, etc. 

Thanks for not being mad, though I can't blame those who are. I promised a reasonable posting schedule, and in recent weeks it has been anything but.

MikeL, on 01 Jun 2013 - 04:31 AM, said:snapback.png

Before CJ makes a claim that there is no aardvarks because they do have something to do with cliffs, I wouldn't be surprised if his spoiler was a bit of deflection of some sort. I'm guessing that instead of the storm raining down pink fluffy bunnies, it will be raining down aardvarks on to our four occupants of Atlantis ;)

One final thought, if this all happened in 2009 and we are making the assumption that Trevor and Shane survive, they were writing a book about the whole adventure so maybe we don't need to wait for CJ to finish his story, Trevor and Shane's book must be out there somewhere :D

*Off to Google to get the book first*

Well, the one thing we know for sure can't be in any of the chapters; cliffs or cliffhangers. :)

In the final chapter (same as in Doomsday) it's August, 2007.

Absolutely true!!! :worship:

I've been trying to figure out the riddle of CJ's chapter titles. This one is "From Hell's HEart". 

So, what do we know:

1. Use of the word 'from' in conjuction with Hell's HEart. It means something was in Hell's Heart and now it isn't at some point. I think we understand that the hurricane has been referred to here before as "hell" and the heart would refer to the core or eye....which is where they were at the conclusion of the last chapter

2.  Why is HE in HEart capitalized, or does that mean we are emphasizing a male character, and why the use of the word heart. Does this cast focus on Shane?? Does Shane live. It could have just been that CJ held down the shift key too long.

3. The least likely to die at this point would be Joel and Lisa because they have no injuries of note.

4. Worries about Trevor have to do with blood loss and his pig headedly stubborn resistance to let go of a boat (tub)

6. What good can come out of becoming out of the heart of the storm from their present position?

The capitalization issue is just my clumsiness; it's not easy typing with hooves. The real title is "From Hell's Heart"

:)

just my 2 cent but a glacier is a cliff of ice...

And thus I would never have anything to do with a glacier. :)

Okay, where the hell is the final chapter (From Hell's HEart)?

I don't blame anyone who is mad at me for the delays. I never intended or wanted such huge waits, and I apologize.

I apologize too for the lack of updates. I've had internet connection issues on top of a lot else.

Now for the chapter. The chapter is through beta (the team did an astounding job!) and it is in Emoe's hands for editing (the final step). Bear in mind it's larger than 4 regular chapters (and thus is a hell of a large thing for the team to have to deal with). In fact, a novel is defined as being over 40,000 words, so this chapter is over half a novel if we use that metric. Such a large chapter takes more time in all ways. I am hopeful that we will have it soon. I WON"T wait for any posting day to post it; once I have it back, I'll get it online. If my internet trouble is still ongoing, that will cause a few hour's delay because I'll need to drive into town with my laptop, but at worst I'll post it within 24 hours of getting it. 

BTW, in case anyone has any doubts, this *IS* the final chapter. After it comes the epilogue (I'm working on that now, it's not large). What I plan on doing is having (after the final posts) a forum thread so we can list any loose ends that need addressing in the epilogue (basically, in case I forgot anything).

Aardvarks of course were used by the Australian military (often called by another name though) :)

When this story is finally at an end I'm going to miss this forum almost as much as the story itself. What a great bunch of characters you all are! One other observation. No matter what the final word count is, it's a good thing this is all online and not on actual paper. Surely an entire forest would be missing by now. LOL!

So, what do we know:

One thing I think nobody's picked up on is that the title's a quote from Star Trek II, The Wrath of Khan. Not sure of the significance, though. Khan came to a sticky end in the film, though.

One thing I think nobody's picked up on is that the title's a quote from Star Trek II, The Wrath of Khan. Not sure of the significance, though. Khan came to a sticky end in the film, though.

The Title is actually a quote from Moby Dick.... :)  I think Wrath of Khan may have "borrowed" it

Aardvarks of course were used by the Australian military (often called by another name though) :)

The F-111 bomber. (I know the F designates a fighter, but the F-111 was no more a fighter than the F-117 stealth "fighter" is. It's a bomber.) There was also (In U.S. service) an electronic warfare variant nicknamed the sparkvark. :)

Glad to see aardvarks haven't been forgotten.  After all, aardvarks never killed anyone... (with apologies to Spike Milligan)

Aardvarks are interesting creatures. It's be odd to find one in Yucatan though - they're native to Africa. 

When this story is finally at an end I'm going to miss this forum almost as much as the story itself. What a great bunch of characters you all are! One other observation. No matter what the final word count is, it's a good thing this is all online and not on actual paper. Surely an entire forest would be missing by now. LOL!

ROFL!!!

They borrowed it. :)

The Title is actually a quote from Moby Dick.... :)  I think Wrath of Khan may have "borrowed" it

Bingo! Yep, Kahn's soliloquy is from Moby Dick.

• Like 1

well reading moby dick is no help at all.  face it, no one born since 1900 can figure out a word of melvile's tortured, twisted, compounded, confounded, archaic, anachronistic antagonistic, prose anyhow.  its fairly clear that Ahab went down stuck to the harpooned whale, but beyond that I'm unable to decipher what it is he is trying to say.  There was at least one survivor to write the tale.

well reading moby dick is no help at all.  face it, no one born since 1900 can figure out a word of melvile's tortured, twisted, compounded, confounded, archaic, anachronistic antagonistic, prose anyhow.  its fairly clear that Ahab went down stuck to the harpooned whale, but beyond that I'm unable to decipher what it is he is trying to say.  There was at least one survivor to write the tale.

I posted this in early May... (Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

Hmmm its ominous that Ahab's last quote in Moby dick was... "to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee" He was then dragged under by his nemesis, which later destroys all the whaling boats,crew and the Pequod. :lmao: I'm sure CJ has a Whale of an ending planned... :gikkle: oooops!!) Far from being anachronistic, I think Melvilles tale is one of the worlds Great stories and will always remain relevant and contemporary... Just my opinion though :)  If the Whale is a "type" of The Atlantis and crew and Ahab with his accomplices are a "type" of Bridget and the cartel Then CJ's epic story may be heading for a similar ending.... :whistle:

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..