Why do Semes smoke so much?

I've just noticed something weird, the semes (or roughly equivalent to Tops) in gay manga/anime seem to smoke and drink an extraordinary large amount. The Uke (or Bottom) doesn't smoke at all and also seems to be a lightweight, when it comes to alcohol.

Is that supposed to be reflections or sexual references between smoking/drinking and sexual positions? Freudian slips? Product placement by evil Japanese Tobacco and liquor companies on impressionable gay boys and straight girls :P ?

Anyone know why these characteristics seem to be prevalent in modern gay manga/anime?

Just curious.....

I think it's a cultural thing, really. Smoking is still kind of seen as a 'bad boy' thing to do in Japan, and Japanese people don't really drink that much. Only 'tough guys' can be expected to have much of a tolerance for booze. They looked at us weirdly when we ordered a bottle of beer each in Japan instead of sharing one between the three of us. When my friend Edd lived there, people told her she drank like an old man. She's Irish. :P

I think it's a combination of what Thorn said and trying to find careful stereotypes to fit the 'gender roles'.  Ukes/bottoms are normally seen as more delicate and feminine.  And feminine types don't typically smoke or drink a lot.  However, I strongly recommend reading some of Kano Miyamoto's work.  It does really well at...EQUALIZING the gender roles.  Heat in particular.  Great, great stories.

I think it's a combination of what Thorn said and trying to find careful stereotypes to fit the 'gender roles'.  Ukes/bottoms are normally seen as more delicate and feminine.  And feminine types don't typically smoke or drink a lot.  However, I strongly recommend reading some of Kano Miyamoto's work.  It does really well at...EQUALIZING the gender roles.  Heat in particular.  Great, great stories.

Reading now. Loving it already!

i love good manga recommendations. Yellow was also rather well balanced.

I think the smoking/drinking thing is a cultural gender-stereotyping and bad boy combo. most manga (and i know, not all) stick rather closely to traditional gender roles. MARS, which was a heterosexual relationship but still awesome, was very similar. he guy smokes and drinks to what seems to the Japanese extrodinary levels.

remember, when water was too impure to drink, the British (and therefore american by proxy) invented beer and spirits. the Asian's invented tea. there's your cultural shift.

i love good manga recommendations. Yellow was also rather well balanced.

I think the smoking/drinking thing is a cultural gender-stereotyping and bad boy combo. most manga (and i know, not all) stick rather closely to traditional gender roles. MARS, which was a heterosexual relationship but still awesome, was very similar. he guy smokes and drinks to what seems to the Japanese extrodinary levels.

remember, when water was too impure to drink, the British (and therefore american by proxy) invented beer and spirits. the Asian's invented tea. there's your cultural shift.

Both inventions have caught on rather well in the other hemisphere, though. :P

I love Yellow! Cause there you basically have two semes striving for dominance. My kind of 'ship.

• Like 1