Supermoon

Zombie

Barton Springs Pool is having a full moon howl Sunday night. College boy crowd watching, topless women, and howling in the moonlight. I have a plastic flask around here somewhere. What more could you ask?

damn you. i miss howling with company. oh well, i have a big hill to walk up and see the view, unless of curse it's doing what it is now, and right now i cannae see the other side of the lawn for the rain

I had a chance to see the moon, the clouds lifted in time and from here it was just a 'normal' moon...

I guess I have to wait for the Perseid meteors in July and August.

Supposedly will be impressive tonight as well. Anyone know where i can look up the time of the moon-rise? I waited till after dark last night to find the moon well off the horizon and looking pretty normal last night.

Why the moon matters:

The earth is essentially a ocean of viscous magma covered by hard plates connected by joints. These joints are the stress points of  earthquake faults.

The moons gravity has major effects on liquid water but we're not sure about its effect on magma or the plates that sit on top of it.

It may well be that a supermoon may have no effect on a stable series of faults when it occurs. BUT when it works against an unstable series of faults, it could create chaos.

The moon is amazing.  Moonlight makes night time perfect.  Some people say the full moon makes people crazy.  I say they are already crazy and just having fun in the moonlight.  The moon is always there whether it's reflecting sunlight or not, so if the full moon affects people it's because of the light not the moon. 

Some people think the moon is a hollow metal satellite put there by aliens to make the earth inhabitable.  They claim it's hollow and there are aliens inside it.  I'm not sure what they're supposed to be doing in there, but I suspect it's something to do with making new aliens.  I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure aliens need to reproduce too.

I heard they like to come to earth and take water from lakes and stuff, which would make sense because there isn't any on the moon.  You would think they might know how to make their own water, but I suppose it wouldn't be as tasty as the natural stuff.  I'm not sure why they would want to live inside something that has no resources.  Maybe they belong to some kind of religious thing that requires a simple existence or something.  Maybe they are allergic to sun light.  Maybe they are just crazy.  They have to have some kind of issues to live inside the moon when there's a perfectly good earth close by.  I'm sure they have enough talent to throw a couple tents up and make a fire to cook with. 

I think they probably eat beef.  I heard they come around ranches now and then and steal cattle.  Actually, they only seem to be interested in special parts of the cows.  I suppose they have strict dietary rules if they're in some kind of alien religious cult. 

I've never seen an alien, but I suppose I will eventually, especially if they live in the moon.  They have to come out, and I'm bound to catch one sneaking around in the moonlight sooner or later.  All I need to do is watch the neighbors cows when there's a full moon. 

• Like 5

• Site Administrator

I heard that there's a huge flood coming in Calgary, actually. Coincidence?? I THINK––well, actually, probably, yeah.

Yes, there was massive flooding.

It was do to a nasty weather system stuck over Alberta and pulling all the moisture out of the States and Manitoba and Saskatchewan and when it hit the Rockies, it all came down. Add on the snow pack that usually melts over the next month slowly, it came down with all the rain and the rivers just couldn't contain it all.

I took a drive today and although the river is receding back to its banks, there is still lots of communities under standing water (nasty stuff).

I don't think the moon necessarily affects the jet stream, so it is innocent in my eyes :P

Now if we stop hearing this is what we get for having pipelines and the Oil Sands and realize this happens every 100 years or so, all will be good :)

Well, as expected, it was bloody raining here, and there was no view of a super large moon! :(

It's a pity too, we have a hill in the next village with a church steeple on the very top that lies right in the path of the full moon at the moment. 

It'd have mad an awesome picture.