Tattoos

Celethiel

In Britain, at least, it's never been a problem with the top and bottom bits of society. Churchill had a tattoo, so did several "recent" monarchs, even the current Prime Minister's wife.  As with much else the problem is in "the middle".  It's the Hyacinth Bucket syndrome :lol:

tumblr_lgcu7lNCab1qzhvrgo1_400.jpg

Personally I have none but they can be very attractive. As others have said it's about quality and, for me, less is often more.

But please - not on the face :)

It is pronounced bouquet :lol: I love tattoos   but I agree with Methodwriter, I am not too fond with  "writing on chest"..

I only have one small tattoo but I want more but until I know what I want I'll wait :) (I likes Mann Ramblings moon)

• Like 1

my tattooist had a wonderful way of explaining to people to come to him about fad tattoos and the like.

"CASH ONLY" and when people ask why, the reply goes like this: You cannot decide after a day or a week that you do not like the tattoo, come back and get a refund. therefore you must pay in a way which means you cannot get a refund.

he, like most good tattoo artists, will not do a tattoo he considers frivolous, silly, or wanted entirely for comedic purposes.

my tattooist had a wonderful way of explaining to people to come to him about fad tattoos and the like.

"CASH ONLY" and when people ask why, the reply goes like this: You cannot decide after a day or a week that you do not like the tattoo, come back and get a refund. therefore you must pay in a way which means you cannot get a refund.

he, like most good tattoo artists, will not do a tattoo he considers frivolous, silly, or wanted entirely for comedic purposes.

Good policy to keep a client thinking seriously about having the work done. My shop takes credit cards as well as others in town. (Although a few are cash only.) I should ask them if they ever have issues with people trying for refunds/chargebacks.

I dunno... A friend of mine has a tattoo of a vegetarian Zombie on his leg. 'Graaaaaains....' Some may consider that silly, or for comedic purposes, but he got it because he's a vegetarian, and he thought it was a fun image. I totally support the idea that a tattoo artist should make sure that a person has properly thought things through, but isn't it a little bit arrogant to act as some kind of taste-police? If people want to give you money to tattoo something that they really want on their bodies, and if that is your job, who are you to decide whether their choice is frivolous or silly?

• Like 2

When I got Masamune, a beautiful katana, the first tattooist argued with me, he said it's a silly fan tattoo and he wouldn't do it. He predicted that some day I would regret it. This was  13 years ago and I still love it. I understand that he questioned my motivation, but I made it very clear that I had thought about it and my decision was definite. *shrugs* The other tattooist became a very good friend.

• Like 1

I dunno... A friend of mine has a tattoo of a vegetarian Zombie on his leg. 'Graaaaaains....' Some may consider that silly, or for comedic purposes, but he got it because he's a vegetarian, and he thought it was a fun image. I totally support the idea that a tattoo artist should make sure that a person has properly thought things through, but isn't it a little bit arrogant to act as some kind of taste-police? If people want to give you money to tattoo something that they really want on their bodies, and if that is your job, who are you to decide whether their choice is frivolous or silly?

on the other hand, as a person with the means to make such drastic and permanent changes to a person, the tattoo artists i know consider themselves to have an ethical code, like surgeons or doctors. you give a person a tattoo and they regret it and bad mouth you, you might to lose out on customers. 

also, i think your friends tattoo is cool, and i don' think it would fall into the same category as the sort of "random-meme-XD" as the sorts of things he refuses. having a zombie and 'graaaaaaaains...' sounds like it was planned, well thought out, has a meaning behind it.

while i was getting my shoulder done (on a break for tea and biscuits) a girl showed up with a picture on her phone and wanted a tattoo saying 'love' on her wrist. she'd just found a picture of someone elses tat online and wanted the same thing for no thought out reason. he pretty much flat out refused her, telling her to go and have a proper think about it. i think if you have the power to change someone's body, then you are partly responsible for those changes. also, tattoo artists are artists... no artist would ever be forced to undertake a commission or a musician play a gig they thought was horrible/tacky/juvenile unless they needed the money, in which case it is a personal decision.

• Like 1

Many other examples where people's job is to provide a personal service to customers and its not arrogance but legitimate and good business practice to probe the customer's motives - and decline if they're not themselves satisfied about that customer. I could give many examples, but cosmetic surgery and financial services are two that spring to mind.

• Like 1

I talked about it with Chris, my tattooist friend. He said he feels like an artist when he uses his own designs and he gives them only to people who he thinks match them. Otherwise he doesn't do in the spur of the moment things, things that would look ugly because the picture is inappliccable (dunno if it's the right word) If people really want them he works on the pictures with them. In my case he was under the impression I knew what I wanted, so he did it. He wasn't so sure about where I wanted it though, and he was right it hurt very, very bad.

• Like 2

I talked about it with Chris, my tattooist friend. He said he feels like an artist when he uses his own designs and he gives them only to people who he thinks match them. Otherwise he doesn't do in the spur of the moment things, things that would look ugly because the picture is inappliccable (dunno if it's the right word) If people really want them he works on the pictures with them. In my case he was under the impression I knew what I wanted, so he did it. He wasn't so sure about where I wanted it though, and he was right it hurt very, very bad.

You got it right down the spine didn't you?

The personalized tattoos, such as with a gf/bf name, can often be a problem later, if the relationship ends.  Although some others may look nice when on a young, fit body, the tend not too look as good later, when the skin starts to wrinkle or you hair suddenly sprouts where there was none before.  I nearly got a tat when I was in the service, but luckily I sobered up before that happened. 

You got it right down the spine didn't you?

I thought about that, but then I decided agaist it. What really hurt was the hilt on my hipbone, I think you can imagine where the blade goes.

I'm thinking something far more sensitive to draw a sword down the length of. :gikkle:

I might be a bit crazy, but not THAT crazy.

• Like 1

oh Addy, you're a dangerous wolf!

Steven and i (tattooist) spent probably 4 hours designing my shoulder tattoo. we chatted, there was cider and a pub, lots of reference pictures and his huge artistic talents. 

i did know a guy once who had a tattoo on his thigh of his penis being severed.... anyone wanna read into that?

Many other examples where people's job is to provide a personal service to customers and its not arrogance but legitimate and good business practice to probe the customer's motives - and decline if they're not themselves satisfied about that customer. I could give many examples, but cosmetic surgery and financial services are two that spring to mind.

I remember reading this story my friend had written about the tattoos that 1D got at a tattoo parlor when they were on tour in Maryland, and I just kept thinking how dumb it is to get on-the-whim tattoos like the ones they got. (Although Zayn does actually put some thought into them- Louis Tomlinson just seemed like he was doing them just to do it.) Although, of course, if they ever regret it they can afford the laser sessions to take them off.

I did think, when I saw the chest tattoos that Harry Styles got, that he really should have bulked up first, because they emphasize his lack of chest muscle.

As for myself, I've never gotten a tattoo. Mainly because I have skin that's highly sensitive (I have to use unscented, hypoallegenic soap), and I had a sister who had a pretty bad reaction to a tattoo of the zodiac sun that she tried to get back in the 1990's. I know my other sisters have tattoos, but I also know that with my luck, I'd have a bad allergic reaction.

I also can't really think of anything I'd want to have on my body for the rest of my life. My taste at 28 isn't the same as it was at even 23, and at 33 I can see it being different again.

Edited by methodwriter85

As for myself, I've never gotten a tattoo. Mainly because I have skin that's highly sensitive (I have to use unscented, hypoallegenic soap), and I had a sister who had a pretty bad reaction to a tattoo of the zodiac sun that she tried to get back in the 1990's. I know my other sisters have tattoos, but I also know that with my luck, I'd have a bad allergic reaction.

That would be a good reason to avoid getting them. Red tattoo ink contains a fair amount of nickel in the colorants and can cause a reaction while it heals. My geisha went through a mild itching stage because of this. Other color may have other ingredients that could cause sensitive skin types a few problems.

That would be a good reason to avoid getting them. Red tattoo ink contains a fair amount of nickel in the colorants and can cause a reaction while it heals. My geisha went through a mild itching stage because of this. Other color may have other ingredients that could cause sensitive skin types a few problems.

A friend had a titanium implant when he broke his femur, and had to have it removed due to rejection. Luckily, he had already decided against getting a tat before he found out some inks contain titanium.

Do any of you think a guy with a lot of body hair should bet a tat and let the hair grow through it? I actually heard somebody make that suggestion, and it sounded gross to me.

Edited by rustle

Before tatts became mainstream, you could tell what prisons that convicts had been at and what they were doing time for by their tatts.

For a while during the Vietnam War, tatts were frowned on by the military because some tatts would enrage the VC and cause them to kill you on sight. Tatts that identified units or service branches were banned. Many units had no tatt policies.

The Navy and Marines have the longest traditions with tatts. Many naval and marine units had special tatts like the Marine jungle Tiger that only Guadalcanal vets could wear.

i did know a guy once who had a tattoo on his thigh of his penis being severed.... anyone wanna read into that?

Did he go by the name "Fishie"? :P

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 1

I have one that I try not to expose at my workplace.  It wouldn't matter except it would leave me open for comments that I wouldn't want to deal with:P  It's not obscene, btw.

I'm going to get another one.  I know what I want, just haven't found it like I want it :P

• Like 1

Case in point on why I think that unless you are built, tattoos just aren't appealing for guys. 

Right. At the very least, Zayn Malik and Louis Tomlinson have the muscle tone for tattoos to look good on them. Harry Styles, at least at the time of the pic, doesn't. (I don't get why he's treated as the hottest guy in the group when he's clearly not.)

A case of someone who went way overboard and ruined their looks in the process? Ryan Scheckler. God. He had such great, fantastic skin tone, and you can't see it anymore. And he's only 24. Unless he starts tattooing on his face the guy doesn't have much of a canvas left.

Edited by methodwriter85