Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Kitt and Mark, back in the late 1970's/early 1980's when you only had to be 18 to drink, was there a bit less of that "need to binge-drink" culture with you and your peers? I always imagined that binge-drinking was bourne out of the fact the bulk of college kids can't legally drink, so they feel a need to drink as much as they can while they have access in front of it.

(Back in 1983-1984, there was a push to raise the drinking age from 18 to 21. States that didn't participate would have their highway funds taken away. I had a camp counselor that was born in December 1965, and she told us that for December 1983, she could legally drink in Delaware, as the 21 age limit didn't take effect until January 1984. Kitt and Mark would have been one of the last cohorts of people that got to legally drink in the United States when they and their peers turned 18 circa 1976-1982.)

One funny carding story I had was when I was 24, and I was buying from a P.A. state beer place. (You can't buy hard liquor and beer in the same place in P.A. for some crazy reason.) The lady ran my license through the scanner three times, then kept looking at me, and finally said, "You just don't look that old." She finally relented, but it still pissed me off. Another time, when I was about 25, because I had an out-of-state license with me and they didn't have a computer scanning system set up, the bartender made me sign a waiver saying that I was legally of age- the kicking is that the piece of paper I had to sign was so old that it had a 19(blank) for their year!

As for the pressure...yeah. It's huge. I didn't get anywhere close to 21 shots for my 21st birthday, but I did manage to have a Hard Lemonade, a Three Wisemen shot, A Four Horseman Shot, three to four beers, and a Screwdriver as my night cap. I passed out on the bathroom of a bar, got kicked out, and then walked over to another bar to have my night cap Screwdriver. LOL. There was one guy with us who had a fake I.D., but it was like a fake "state i.d." instead of a license, so he got into this long-ass explanation about it to the bartender. He got kicked out, and I swiped the rest of his beer. LOL.

Do you remember your 21st birthday shots, Blue?

Edited by methodwriter85

I turned 18 a few months before NJ raised the drinking age to 19. Those of us that became legal before the change were "grandfathered", that is allowed to keep our legal status. That had the effect of about half my peer group being legal, and the other half being envious.

Binge drinking among our crowd was more a function of "forbidden fruit" than which side of an age line you landed on. The houses where there was no liquor or it was kept locked up produced the heavy drinking teens. The households where it was just there, wine was offered with dinner when the adults had it, and curiosity was met with information rather than prohibitions had much more restrained teens when it came to drinking.

My 18th ( the best I can compare Jeremy, my 21st was sort of just another birthday when it came to alcohol) I went out to my fathers favorite hang out and he bought me my first legal drink. It wasn't all that much of a big deal because I was raised with the open communication group I spoke about earlier. I had 2 or 3 drinks and then went to a movie with my boyfriend. I remember giggling thru the entire thing, even if I cannot remember what movie it was! My best friend on her 18th however got so blitzed it took 3 of us to get her into the car and take her home. I don't think she made it to 18 shots though.

LOL on drinking LEGALLY   

Some of us do play by the rules and have never had to hire a lawyer other than to draft my will!

Edited by Kitt

My favorite personal "underage drinking" story was when I was 20, second semester of freshman year, and I got a 12-pack of Bud light or something like that. I went to Williams Hall, carrying the 12-pack in my backpack. The R.A. at front lobby looked at me, and he said, "What do ya got in there?" I said, "Oh, just some books." He replied, "Well, then you wouldn't mind us checking your backpack when you leave, right?" I said, "Sure, no problem."

I went in there, tried to hang out with some people who weren't there at the moment, (I think I had a plan to go to an Alpha Phi Delta frat party later that night, and this was part of my pre-game), and just kind of walked around, figuring that I would try and outlast the R.A. (In retrospect, the R.A.'s were on front-desk duty until 3 a.m., and it was like 10 p.m.) Then I thought I'd just drink the 12-pack, went into the bathroom, and could only manage to pound 3-4 beers in about 5 minutes before I had to stop. (I wasn't good at binging beers until I was 21-22, actually. 25 oz Bud Light beers at Grotto's Pizza, what!) I walked back into the hallway, and this sorority girl, who I think knew me from my reputation as "that kid who pukes a lot at frat parties", came out of her dorm and was like, "Hey, you REALLY need to get rid of the beer in your backpack. All of the R.A. in the front are talking about how they're planning on busting you when you leave." 

She kindly let me use her breath mints. Then I walked around, buzzed (remember, I'm a lightweight so 3-4 beers could do a lot to me), trying to figure out a plan. Now, I could have just dumped the beer, but that would have been a waste of money. So I didn't know what to do, until I just so happened to run into two girls that I was on the cross-country team with. That's when I got the idea to leave my beer with them. One of them said, "Take some of our textbooks so you won't have an empty bookbag on your way out." I was like, "Sick idea. Alright, cool, I'll see you guys at 2."

I walked down to the entrance, and Chris (the R.A. who was totally hot but was also kind of an ass) was like, "Alright, let's see your backpack." I zipped open my backpack, then the guy smirked at me, took the backpack, and actually did a full seach of the backpack. (Which, I found out, wasn't even protocol- zipping open the backpack and showing it to them was, not a full search.) His face fell when he realized that he wasn't going to bust me. Then Chris asked me, "Why is your breath so minty?" I slurred back, "I just really like mints, man."

I left, partied my ass off at APD, then the next morning, at 2 p.m. I picked up the rest of my beer from my teammates. Erica was like, "I thought you meant you'd be back at like 2 a.m." Jena was like, "See, I TOLD you he meant 2 in the afternoon." LOL.

Drinking just wasn't quite as fun as it was when you were under 21 and it was technically off-limits and you had to sneak around for it.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

For me, the thrill of getting away with something never appealed to me. I had quite enough of that from being closeted until I was 18. On the other hand, being completely open and honest did have a certain attraction, one I haven't gotten enough of yet.

I drank with my parents when I came up, once I was in college. They didn't care. In fact, I am far less of a partier than they ever were, and as far as they knew I didn't actually do much as a teenager, so they trusted my judgment. Correcting that vision of me one bit at a time has proved endlessly amusing for the last decade, but it's not like they're going to change their minds at this point.

My favorite personal "underage drinking" story was when I was 20......

Sorry, underage drinking stories can not start, "when I was 20...." An underage drinking story starts, "The night we graduated 8th grade....."  :P

One concept that seems to elude people sometimes in CAP is the Gatsbyesque, “Let me tell you about the very rich. They are different from you and me."

The Dutchess of Alba

The Dutchess of Alba is the 18th of her line and has lived her whole life in ratified circumstances and circles. JJ, Will, Darius, etc are the first of their line to grow up this way. It would take the Schluters and the Cramptons until the year 2550 to get where the House of Alba is today, but be that as it may, Will and the rest of the Schluter/Crampton kids don't know a life any different than the world of private airplanes, private security, yachts and complete self indulgence where the rules are for other people.

Let's hope Stef ages more gracefully than the Dutchess has :)

Sorry, underage drinking stories can not start, "when I was 20...." An underage drinking story starts, "The night we graduated 8th grade....."  :P

One concept that seems to elude people sometimes in CAP is the Gatsbyesque, “Let me tell you about the very rich. They are different from you and me."

The Dutchess of Alba

The Dutchess of Alba is the 18th of her line and has lived her whole life in ratified circumstances and circles. JJ, Will, Darius, etc are the first of their line to grow up this way. It would take the Schluters and the Cramptons until the year 2550 to get where the House of Alba is today, but be that as it may, Will and the rest of the Schluter/Crampton kids don't know a life any different than the world of private airplanes, private security, yachts and complete self indulgence where the rules are for other people.

Let's hope Stef ages more gracefully than the Dutchess has :)

Do they not have dentures in Spain?

• Like 1

I don't remember if Matt ever told of Cam to Wade.

I'm looking forward to see if this is going to develop in a big drama or if Matt is going to find a friend. 

There were a couple of guys fucking in one of the stalls, and Will, in his playful mood, went over and peeked over the top, then looked back at me and raised his eyebrows while his mouth made a surprised ‘O’. 

I loved this. laughed so hard

• Like 1

I really need to stop reading Mark's stories at the coffee shop: there is only so many times I can say out loud "oh, shit!" before they decide to kick me out :)

Thanks for latest chapter! :)

• Like 2

I downloaded the Bloodlines e-book so I could read through it faster and of course I got all caught up in that story again and got as far as Matt hooking up with Matt in Laramie and had to stop....

Cam was an early but minor character in Matt's coming to terms with himself and doing a little exploring.  I am not surprised that the name did not resonate...

Mark Arbour sure can spin some stories and now I am wondering how Matt will clue Cam in on his lousy choice of boyfriends....

• Like 3

I downloaded the Bloodlines e-book so I could read through it faster and of course I got all caught up in that story again and got as far as Matt hooking up with Matt in Laramie and had to stop....

Cam was an early but minor character in Matt's coming to terms with himself and doing a little exploring.  I am not surprised that the name did not resonate...

Mark Arbour sure can spin some stories and now I am wondering how Matt will clue Cam in on his lousy choice of boyfriends....

I'm not so sure about this.  Cam was the first guy that Matt was with sexually, and the first guy he had feelings for (even if it wasn't love).  I think that would make him a major character...at least to Matt.

I'm not so sure about this.  Cam was the first guy that Matt was with sexually, and the first guy he had feelings for (even if it wasn't love).  I think that would make him a major character...at least to Matt.

I concede that since Cam was Matt's first, that he probably means more to him.  But in the whole scheme of the CAP saga, Cam so far is a minor character.

• Like 3

On the other hand, perhaps this is signaling an incoming change to Matt's character? Possibly not, but if he perceives it as a problem, I have no doubt he will try to work on it, to what ultimate result I cannot guess. Also, I find it interesting that he's having this moment *after* he's starting to move on from Wade. Perhaps the pressure of being in a relationship, even if it was just in his own head, was preventing him from really thinking about this before now?

Now I'm really curious about this. The encounter with...I already forgot his name, his commiseration with Will, and now his first boyfriend whom he broke up with because he was emotionally unavailable coming back into his life, are all these going to add up to Matt?

• Like 2

Yes Daddy Dave but after that, before going to Stanford, they both admitted they were in love with each other...Matt wanted Cody to visit him often at Stanford but Cody argued that they had four years to get through and he didn't want to cramp Matt's style for his college years. The point is, they both admitted to each other that they were "in love" with each other...cheers

• Like 1

OK, so now we have the stage set for sparks to possibly fly between Cam and Matt, Possible friction with the kid who is running the bar, Brad getting his head on straight ( or trying to) and Will being more reserved in voicing his opinions of others behaviors.

In one of the reviews someone expressed surprise that Will didn't go ballistic that Matt wasn't telling Cam about his boyfriends infidelities. But Matt didn't say he was not going to tell Cam, he said he didn't know yet. Will can hardly say Matt is making a wrong decision at this point.

With the first anniversary of the tragedy coming up, I can't see it being a happy day for anyone in the family.   I recall the reaction of a kindergarden student in my day care group after seeing all the replays during the commemoration. He came running into my room crying "They did it again Miss Kitt, they did it again!" and sobbed into my arms for an hour. Why the school didn't call his mother is beyond me!  I can really see the hurt coming back tenfold that day.

• Like 1

This story does seem to be all about Brad and Matt and so far, our esteemed essayist is doing an admirable job of staying on track.  I just hope that his real world obligations are headed for a slack period so he can get back to writing as I want more!

• Like 1

I don't know if the timing was accidental or not, but with the opening of the 9-11 Museum yesterday I couldn't help but assume that Brad and maybe the boys were at the ceremony. 9-11 is one of those things that you try to bury and put behind you, but it is impossible because of annual commemorations and events like this. I don't know if CAP will get to May 2014, but it is so hard to not wonder about 28 year old Will, 35 year old Matt & Wade, JP approaching 80 and Brad into his 50's.

These would be the ages of the CAP family n friends characters at the time of the 9.11 Museum ceremony on May 15th, 2014. (At least, the people I can see being there) :

Frank-  about 78

JP- 77, getting ready to turn 78

Stefan- 68

Brad- 51

Ace- 51

Jack- About 50

Claire- 49

Max- about 49

Lou- 44 or 45

Marcel- 44

Cody- About 44

Tiffany- About 38

Matt- 34

Wade- Just a couple days short of turning 34 (his birthday is May 18th, 1980 I believe)

Maryellen- 32 (ish- I think she's supposed to be a year younger than Wade)

Darius- 32

Gathan- 31

Ella- 30

Beau- 30

Zach- 28 (almost 29)

JJ- 28

Marie- 28

Ethan- 28 (I THINK his birthmonth is April 1986 like Marie's, but I could be wrong)

Will- 27

John- 26

Courtney- 18

Maddy- 13

Riley- 13

*Not sure of the ages of Isidore or Elizabeth Danfield.

I was thinking though....wouldn't that actually be a great closing to the CAP series?

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 2

Not really. Although to be honest, it seems like Riley is traveling with Tiffany, JJ, and Maddy most of the time. Riley's not that huge a part of Wade's life, either. That will change a little when they move to Boston, but they'll still be traveling a lot.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..