Jay & Miles by ColumbusGuy

Not done, but I sent it off with 6100 words...maybe he can think of a title. :)

It's back to you, buddy... looking good... I'll think on the title after I eat :boy:  Right now, I'm thinking 'Getting Pushed'... or ...'Intervention'

• Like 1

It hurt when I took my keyboard cover off since she wouldn't be jumping up to type, or pop off the keys anymore.

I bet Bortai's spirit is eyeing that key board wanting to tease you, and missing the attention.

I'm glad you've shared your feelings with us, as well as the picture and how you're been coping. I think all those things you've been doing are part of the mourning process and we want to support you as much as we can. It warmed my heart to know you felt we helped in this way. That's what friends are for, even if far apart.

Friends are the Family you chose. :hug:

• Like 2

Dang Tim, you make me want to cry again...:)

If friends are the family we choose, which I believe, then I have to brag a little and say I have damn good taste...and distance isn't really a factor in the Information Age. Maybe we won't meet in person, but the spiritual bond is strong, and I have that with you all more than my real family.

One last reminiscence: when her brother got stolen in 05, Bortai was as stressed as I was about where he went--I put up newspaper ads, flyers, offered rewards, and got only a few responses, none of them were for Genghis--I made a promise that I'd never say his name aloud where Bortai could hear it because she'd look around to see where he was...my automatic food call had always been 'Genghis, Bortai--Kitty Monsters!' It took major willpower to change it to just her name. Coming downstairs every day, the first thing I did was call for them, then just her to come and eat. The urge to call her for meals almost came out Tuesday and Wednesday...but I'll learn not to do it.

Back to my chapter--it ought to be done today and off to Gary. After discussing it, one of my surprises seemed too soon, so we will have to wait for that one, but I think there are things in this one you can all like--except the Nifty reader who dislikes lengthy chapters. :)

• Like 4

Just sent Chapter 31 off to Gary...he's seen about  2/3 of it, so maybe it'll be back soon...and not need surgery after he's wielded his big, huge axe on it. :)

My big, huge axe? :*) Shucks, that's supposed to be a secret :P . Just woke up... I'll get on it as soon as I can... :boy:

• Like 1

Well then, give E a hug for me next time you see him--I'm sure he has the proper tools at hand. :X

Chapter's up.

Tools aplenty, my friend -_-

And what a great chapter... this has become a terrific saga of gay youth in the 70's. Your fans(me included) will love it... and they'll love Benny... won't say more for spoilers :boy:

• Like 2

Hey CG, I'm replying to your reply to my review of Ch 31  :blink: (if you can follow all that)

You asked if I have been following all this time etc. etc.

I only found GA about a year and a half ago, and I was just a reader. I never expected to write a story. I'm an artist, actually, and work at a gallery - certainly not a writer, which should be pretty obvious if you're reading my "18 weeks." btw That story grew out of something that happened last September, and I started writing it then, right on Mustang Island, TX. Someday we'll talk about it, I'm sure.

I found J&M while looking for stories to read. I was new to the site and couldn't navigate too well - I'm still not too good at it e.g. knowing this forum even existed, or how to find it - thanks for the navigation, you're better than my car's gps.

I have to admit I couldn't get into J&M and abandoned it after two or three chapters.  :facepalm: But early this summer I bumped into a new chapter you posted, really liked it and thought I'd better read this story! So I started on chapter one and suddenly realized it looked familiar. It's a great story. I must have been a little high or something the first time. Anyway, that's why I suddenly "appeared."

Keep up the good work, and I'll check back here from time to time. I might even say something.  :puke:

luv ya - SD

• Like 3

Keep up the good work, and I'll check back here from time to time. I might even say something.  :puke:

luv ya - SD

Hi SD welcome to the forum, it's a great place to be with friendly people - and you won't find many GA members who're nicer than CG.

In addition, I think the GA site opens more for you, once you have 5 posts, so keep going. :D

• Like 2

SkinnyDragon, I bet you did your own avatar then, right? As mentioned in the story, I painted a dragon on the art room window which was there for a few years because the teacher loved it...I had just started reading Anne McCaffrey's Pern series so was really into dragons. :)  Another project was a huge mural about the history of music or something, and I did a scene of a 50s sock hop which was fun. I was in Art Club for three years.  My oldest sister painted awesome scenes in watercolor, oils, tempera, anything worked for her. I got her bedroom after she moved away, it was cool with it's burnt orange walls and four foot peacocks painted on the walls...I loved it, but my dad painted over the whole thing.

The thing I like about your story so far is the fact that it's a bit quirky and has a pretty informal style which fits the characters so well! YOU keep up the good work too, my friend!  The first three chapters of the story were written based on some Prompts, so the length was limited--and I was still getting a feel for the boys, not having expected it to develop as it did into an improved version of my own high school life. :)

Welcome aboard and hang in there!

• Like 1

Hey CG, I'm replying to your reply to my review of Ch 31  :blink: (if you can follow all that)

You asked if I have been following all this time etc. etc.

I only found GA about a year and a half ago, and I was just a reader. I never expected to write a story. I'm an artist, actually, and work at a gallery - certainly not a writer, which should be pretty obvious if you're reading my "18 weeks." btw That story grew out of something that happened last September, and I started writing it then, right on Mustang Island, TX. Someday we'll talk about it, I'm sure.

I found J&M while looking for stories to read. I was new to the site and couldn't navigate too well - I'm still not too good at it e.g. knowing this forum even existed, or how to find it - thanks for the navigation, you're better than my car's gps.

I have to admit I couldn't get into J&M and abandoned it after two or three chapters.  :facepalm: But early this summer I bumped into a new chapter you posted, really liked it and thought I'd better read this story! So I started on chapter one and suddenly realized it looked familiar. It's a great story. I must have been a little high or something the first time. Anyway, that's why I suddenly "appeared."

luv ya - SD

Welcome, Skinny... I'm out of 'Likes'... but you will love all the people on this forum when you get to know them, and as Tim said, there isn't a nicer guy on GA that CG... and his story rocks... Gary

• Like 3

Started Chapter 32, meant to do that in the evening, but it was really hot and the fan in the window seemed to be blowing in warm air, so I was debating putting in the window AC unit, when I dozed off...really gotta work on getting my cycles straightened out again. :)

Any way, I'm not a wiz like my beta Gary, so I'm only about 300 words in, but that's in the space of about ten minutes from a cold start. I'll let y'all know there is a surprise already. :X Multiple POVs, won't say who yet.

I looked at a current schedule for the school in my story, and they have a week break in the Spring, as well as Good Friday off. I don't recall being off for that day, so maybe it was a half-day...and I know that we didn't have any break in the Spring--that began the following year '77-78 as a way to add snow days which could be made up as needed. The '76-'77 year (Senior Year for JM) was the cause of that with it's huge blizzard which had us snowed in for three or four days--even the plows couldn't get out, and I remember the interstates being down to one lane each way with bulletins telling people to stay home unless it was an emergency.

Tentative titles: Trian and Error, and Out of The Woods. Open to suggestions. :)

• Like 1

Started Chapter 32, meant to do that in the evening, but it was really hot and the fan in the window seemed to be blowing in warm air, so I was debating putting in the window AC unit, when I dozed off...really gotta work on getting my cycles straightened out again. :)

Any way, I'm not a wiz like my beta Gary, so I'm only about 300 words in, but that's in the space of about ten minutes from a cold start. I'll let y'all know there is a surprise already. :X Multiple POVs, won't say who yet.

I looked at a current schedule for the school in my story, and they have a week break in the Spring, as well as Good Friday off. I don't recall being off for that day, so maybe it was a half-day...and I know that we didn't have any break in the Spring--that began the following year '77-78 as a way to add snow days which could be made up as needed. The '76-'77 year (Senior Year for JM) was the cause of that with it's huge blizzard which had us snowed in for three or four days--even the plows couldn't get out, and I remember the interstates being down to one lane each way with bulletins telling people to stay home unless it was an emergency.

Tentative titles: Trian and Error, and Out of The Woods. Open to suggestions. :)

I think you meant 'Trial and Error' , Buddy. 'A Comedy of Errors' could work depending on :X

• Like 1

Dang it, I really wish this thing could autocorrect. :) Or else I'm in too much of a hurry to hit 'Post'.

I'm not sure about 'Comedy of Errors' because it was done by Shakespeare, and it is so close to one of my favorite movies, which always comes to mind when I hear that--Vincent Price and Peter Lorre and Basil Rathbone in 'Comedy of Terrors'. And I can't leave out Boris Karloff either--that movie made me think again about the funeral business.  :)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x230iq4_the-comedy-of-terrors-1963_shortfilms

A little progress on 32 yesterday...should be more today.

Guess I've been thinking about Bortai since I got her ashes back yesterday...a nice dark copper urn, just need to fill out the form for the plaque. I haven't looked at the paw print or the sample of her fur--just looking at the urn made me cry.

Edited by ColumbusGuy
  • Like 3