Sexual Fluidity In Characters

In this genre there are a few ways that our characters come to terms with their sexuality, or acceptance of its fluidity. Sometimes they know right away they are one way, sometimes it's a slow realization or sometimes something happens and makes them question what they thought about themselves before.

Growing up with any same sex attractions in a hetero-centric society can lead to lots of behaviors that are commonly classified as 'just trying to fit in' or maybe pack behavior. Perhaps you think about members of the opposite sex more because you're told you should than because you want to. Then, there when this happens.

Great posting of a Reddit article where a college age fellow has an unexpected experience and turns to that community for advice. Read it here.

• Like 3

When I was growing up there was so much pressure, internally and externally to be straight, that was the path I chose. But we can fool ourselves for only so long before things start to give... four wonderful children later, I started to come apart at the seams... don't get me wrong... I liked women, and sexually, they worked for me, but I was gay, and denying that fact was killing me. I'm happy these two guys are figuring it out a lot sooner... self realization is a necessary thing, and I am thankful I finally have it ( 21 years now), but I'm also thankful for my children. Thanks for posting this, Beagle. Maybe it will help others face what they feel... cheers... Gary.

I find sexual fluidity very interesting, I think it can add to a lot of character depth/uniqueness that can be unresolved. It can definitely add a mysterious presence to a character if they aren't pigeon holed so strictly into what they like. 

I am all vexed with this shit too... For my entire life, till now, I thought I was gay(strongly). But sometimes I felt like I was attracted to opposite sex, which I haven't experience until now...

I am so confused that I sometimes think that I am a Bi-sexual too...

I am all vexed with this shit too... For my entire life, till now, I thought I was gay(strongly). But sometimes I felt like I was attracted to opposite sex, which I haven't experience until now...

I am so confused that I sometimes think that I am a Bi-sexual too...

Maybe you are? Does it really matter, though? In the end, the most important thing is that you're comfortable in your sexual identity.

I'm the all-round type, pansexual, I like guys and girls and girls who used to be guys and guys who used to be girls, and people who don't identify as either gender, or who identify as both. Basically, I like people. That's a sexual identity that I'm comfortable with. But that doesn't mean that everyone who feels the same way as I do has to identify the same.

If you're happy in your identity as a gay male, keep identifying that way. I'm pretty sure if you ask around, you'll find other gay people who have found themselves attracted to people of the opposite sex at one time or another (I know there are some here who are or have been married to them, and it's not always because of society's expectations or whatever).

Don't be so concerned about labels. The most important thing is that you live your life the way that makes you the happiest. If you want, you can reconsider your labels later.

• Like 2

Maybe you are? Does it really matter, though? In the end, the most important thing is that you're comfortable in your sexual identity.

I'm the all-round type, pansexual, I like guys and girls and girls who used to be guys and guys who used to be girls, and people who don't identify as either gender, or who identify as both. Basically, I like people. That's a sexual identity that I'm comfortable with. But that doesn't mean that everyone who feels the same way as I do has to identify the same.

If you're happy in your identity as a gay male, keep identifying that way. I'm pretty sure if you ask around, you'll find other gay people who have found themselves attracted to people of the opposite sex at one time or another (I know there are some here who are or have been married to them, and it's not always because of society's expectations or whatever).

Don't be so concerned about labels. The most important thing is that you live your life the way that makes you the happiest. If you want, you can reconsider your labels later.

Yeah, you are right. Some times Labels can't show the actual person behind it. But when you are happy with what you know about yourself, then you can live your life happily. And when you are confused with yourself it will take some time to know yourself...

Now some they do and some they don't
And some you just can't tell
And some they will and some they won't
With some it's just as well

-Supertramp, Goodbye Stranger

Edited by jamessavik