2024 Anthology Entries Due Tue October 1 ×

Man Fills Lubricant Dispenser With Acid At A Gay Club

Drew Espinosa

Seriously?! :blink: Thankfully no one was hurt, since the dispenser had an alarm just in case someone tried to tamper with it. Right now, the police say the man's motive is unclear, but I'm betting it involves homophobia.

I concur, putting acid in a lubricant dispenser at a gay club is low! Homophobia is extremely likely.

This is why you should always carry some lotion with you (moisturizing is always good) or have a pre-lube rubber in wallet :-

If it was Ben-Gay, I'd say the guy was playing a prank or getting people to try a new kind of kink :P:o:lmao:

Edited by W_L

• Site Administrator

I don't know anything about the club in question, but 'sex-on-premises' businesses are legal in Australia. These are no brothels (which are also legal if registered) but locations where like-minded individuals can hook up for casual sex. From what I've been told, condoms supplies and lube dispensers are common at such establishments.

And for those who are curious, I did some online research into the topic at one point in the past for a short story that I was intending to write. This was after I was propositioned in a street near where I was working by someone who wanted to know when the local gay-sauna would open...and then offered me a blowjob if I paid him.

The TV news report actually described it as a gay brothel, which surprised me, and the reporter got the impression from  the police that it was more likely a personal issue than a general hate crime.

Extraordinary disregard for general users if that's the case.

The extremes some people will go to interfere with the lives of others, even thought they've done nothing to elicit such hatred, other than being themselves.  .  

I remember the huge fuss when San Francisco shut down all the sex clubs around the '80s. (There have since been one or two that have managed to open since then.) Berkeley and San José allowed their one each Gay bath houses to remain open. I don't know if San José's Water Garden is still open, but Berkeley's Steamworks certainly is.

I know the Steamworks provides condoms and lube as well as safe sex education. The rationale for keeping such businesses open is that it keeps things from going underground and provides a location to reach the sometimes elusive MSMs (Men who have Sex with Men, but don't necessarily identify as Gay or bisexual) with safe sex information.

Back in '88-90, I was a volunteer for an AIDS organization that would participate in the educational efforts and it was as a volunteer that I made my first and only visit to a bathhouse. I remember being shocked that another volunteer, a straight woman, told me that she'd gone into the maze to see what the glory holes looked like! I certainly didn't shut my eyes while I was walking back to the room where the event was being held, but I didn't go out of my way to look into all the nooks and crannies either – no matter how curious I was.

I was sitting at a table, fully clothed as was required of all volunteers (patrons were naked or wrapped in their towel), offering numerous pamphlets and brochures about safe sex. The patrons were sometimes unaware that we were in the room and would wander in just holding their towels – they'd back out quickly and return wrapped up.

People would come up and ask me, a volunteer with no medical or psychological training, for answers to their HIV/AIDS related questions. One kept trying to get me to tell him he was safe having unprotected sex since he was a top. I refused to agree with him.

Another kept hitting on me. I pretended not to be aware of his interest and kept offering him safe sex information. (I was just starting to date one of the other volunteers from another agency.)

A volunteer for Berkeley's LGBT community center got so horny, he left early to go to the Water Garden…