Archetypical Plots and Characters

Hello!

I've recently bought and read 15 gay romance novelettes and books to get myself up to date with popular choices, both from indie authors and publishers. As fun as that was, I noticed a few trends that I'm now wondering about. For example, most of the werewolf or shapeshifter stories tend to have incredibly corny romance elements (mistake leading to misunderstanding leading to tearful short-term separation leading to another tearful talking things out and finally a happily ever after), almost every vampire story contains a crazy serial killer vampire, most BDSM stories are about an abused sub who finally finds that one (crazy rich) dom who treats them right... You get the picture.

I don't mean to sound judgemental, I like archetypes and serial killers and rags to riches stories, but after reading a good 15 books, I felt a little betrayed and confused. I'm wondering how to discern "standard story arc" stories from "non-standard" ones, but that seems to be a thing of dumb luck instead of reading book matters. How many "storyline recipes" are there, and which did you notice in your own forays into the land of the published? Is it a good idea to stick to them? Do you have a favorite? Which stereotypical setting do you think is supersaturated and should be left the heck alone?

• Like 4
  • Site Administrator

There are tropes out there because people like them. Look at the vast popularity Harlequin has always had with bodice rippers. Especially with contemporary storylines, it's hard to avoid. Paranormal stories often fall within the Alpha/omega trope, yes. If you like that, they are a dime a dozen. BUT, I don't find it particularly hard to find content that moves beyond those themes and feels more original. It all comes down to the amount of research you want to do for each book before you buy it.

For me, I like the big guy/little guy trope in mm romance stories, but I like it when it's twisted and not just the Alpha/omega-style themes. It has some dark themes, but one of my favorites is Penal Station 05. Or A.E. Via's Nothing Special series Books 1 & 5, Five Minutes Longer by Victoria Sue. Stuff like that which isn't just your basic dominant versus submissive theme is far better, imo.

• Like 5

I see a lot of truth in your assessment, metajinx. If I'm rolling my eyes and sighing a lot while reading, then obviously it doesn't connect with me. If I'm emotionally involved in the characters, and the author takes me through the plot without my cringing, then I stick with it. I guess what I'm saying is, it is all in how a 'typical' set-up is presented. Yes, some story arcs will mirror aspects of others (I might even go as far as to say it is often expected by lovers of whatever genre it is), and while we can't re-invent the wheel, we can improve on it's ride. To expand on Cia's comment above about research, I also believe research by the author is key as to how well a story can transcend it's genre, in a lot of cases. Our goals should be to write something new and fresh, but overlaps can and will occur; that's a given. Plot matters, for sure, but I'll repeat, I'll read any author who writes well, gives me believable dialogue, and provides me with characters to root for and invest myself in. A bad plot can ruin all that, but I find quality writers are more likely to make cliches palatable. I'm nearing the end of writing my own first shifter story, and I believe there are elements in there you won't find elsewhere. It's as much a mystery as anything else, and I'm proud of how inventive I've been, but the fact remains it is still a shifter story. :) Great post! I like those that make me think and question my own writing.

Edited by Headstall
  • Like 5

When it comes to traditionally published books especially, many publishers only want things that sell which is why you see a lot of the same choices made in those stories. I've done that myself where I bought a large stack of books (Like 10 or so) and noticed a lot of similarities in the story lines and elements used by the authors. Sometimes even plot is so closely related between different stories that I was shocked. I think sometimes it works out though because the story lines are something that's easy to relate to so people still can enjoy what they read. Like Headstall said, I can usually read anything as long as there is good plot, likeable characters and dialogue that doesn't make me cringe. When it comes to indie authors and self published authors, there's more room for exploring different ideas. I try and balance a precarious line between the two with my own writing.

I think I've rambled on too much now, hopefully I made my point lol

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

I was just having a conversation on this topic this morning with a friend of mine. Also last night in a different topic as well. That its almost a cycle of things that happen. People see what others are writing, and if it's popular, they hop onto the bandwagon. For instance, there has been a rash of "the 14 y/o teen going on 45 y/o man." I'll admit I like stereotypes as much as the next person, as it's comfortable to read. But on the other hand, anything that breaks the norms is fun to read. As it's not what you're expecting. Though, I will never understand the appeal of MPreg stories.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

Though, I will never understand the appeal of MPreg stories.

ugh .. no!  Unless you're writing about lizard-people or something. Just no. 

• Like 1
On 2017-6-18 at 6:03 AM, Mikiesboy said:

ugh .. no!  Unless you're writing about lizard-people or something. Just no. 

I'll admit I read them, though to be honest. The actual mpreg aspect has never been the reason I've read them. and I'll only read therm with the mpreg has a decent explanation (aliens, magic, shapeshifters etc) because otherwise my suspension of disbelief fails to kick in. But I read them because they have a tendency to overlap with other things I like - M/M romances, paranormal or supernatural characters, and so forth. Sometimes, they are awful. But many times, they're really good books. I read an amazing one yesterday about Dragon shapeshifters. It handled the issue really maturely and with a lot of emotional depth. It used tropes, but then it took it a step further with depth and story.

And the thing is, it was a book that would've never got published before the era of self-publishing. And I love how self-publishing has freed up authors to write more diverse subject matter.

Edited by Wicked Witch
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Something I've been thinking about lately, as an add on to this topic. Why is it in Fantasy Writings (Gay, Straight, or Bi) that Wizards and other Magi live in towers? You always read how the Heroes have to go to the Wizard's Tower, or even in Harry Potter, three of the houses had Towers in the castle. Why not, the Wizard's Farmhouse? Or the Wizard's second-floor apartment, overlooking the courtyard? Just a random thought.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

Something I've been thinking about lately, as an add on to this topic. Why is it in Fantasy Writings (Gay, Straight, or Bi) that Wizards and other Magi live in towers? You always read how the Heroes have to go to the Wizard's Tower, or even in Harry Potter, three of the houses had Towers in the castle. Why not, the Wizard's Farmhouse? Or the Wizard's second-floor apartment, overlooking the courtyard? Just a random thought.

Didn't wizard Harry Dresden live in a basement apartment in Chicago? :P

I've been having fun with my latest story. The Season of Leo  is different enough from anything I've ever seen to be unique.

From Chapter 1 you have no idea where its going.

Chapter 2- oh, it's an institutional setting. Maybe a romance in an institutional setting. 

Then, it's not. And... we aren't anywhere near done yet. 

There are enough twists, turns and flops to make you air sick. 

It's made writing fun again for me and I think it might be showing.

south-padre-island-sunset.jpg

• Like 1