What type of Fantasy?

• Site Administrator

What type of fantasy is your type?

• Urban Fantasy ( the Modern world with fantastic elements... Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl, etc)
  • Epic/Heroic Fantasy (Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Dungeon and Dragons, etc; Kirith Kirin (Gay Hero!), Lackey's Valdemar)
  • Antrhopomorphic Fantasy ( The Chronicles of Narnia)
  • Historical Fantasy (Real world, but magic... Orson Scott Cards Alvin Maker series)
  • Mythical Fantasy - Fairy Tale rewrites

There are others too.  What do you like?

• Like 2

With my background of being an avid Role-Player, by far Epic/Heroic Fantasy is my favorite. Though lately, I've found myself drawn towards Urban Fantasy, to where my current project is one.

There is just something about a High Fantasy story that gets under your skin. The fantastical myths, stories, gods, races, magic, and the adventure that goes along with it. As I said in RPGs my favorite settings were Fantasy

Dragonlance Saga, both playing in the world and the 40 million books that went along with it.

Forgotten Realms, again both playing and reading about it.

Eberron, Mage-punk at its finest. A great place to play in. It was solidly Mage-punk, with a huge dose of Dune.

Star Wars, is considered both Science Fiction, and Heroic Fantasy by some circles. While I'm not in 100% agreement with that statement, I can see the elements in it.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Science Fantasy for Star Wars, if you like to characterize such things. Episode 1 tried to make it science fiction with their explanation of the Force and promptly drove most folks around the bend.  Mitachlorians are more hated than Jar Jar in some places. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Myr said:

Science Fantasy for Star Wars, if you like to characterize such things. Episode 1 tried to make it science fiction with their explanation of the Force and promptly drove most folks around the bend.  Mitachlorians are more hated than Jar Jar in some places. 

I find them both equally awful. Though Jar Jar is a Sith Lord.

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

There is no such thing as too much research... except if you do all research and no writing. :)

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Welcome to my playground. Lol. I love Harry, did my Masters on The Hobbit, love Narnia, and Fairy tales and Mythology are usual elements in my stories.

I read, research, and do my best so that any story I write will allow the reader to feel they understand the world and creatures, even if I am putting my own spin on them.

• Like 2
  • Love 1