Super Heros / Comic Book Heros - Fantasy or Sci-Fi?

• Site Administrator

So, silly me finally got around to watching Spider-Man Homecoming.  Tom Holland makes for an excellent Spider-Man.  He's both witty and has the great physicality needed for the role.  And he looks really good in tights.  And really good in boxers.  lol.

Inevitably when I watch a Spider-Man or X-Men movie, I end up with a writing bug that involved hot guys doing powerful things with magic or technology.  Clearly, Comic Books fall into Speculative Fiction.

Speculative fiction is an umbrella genre encompassing narrative fiction with supernatural or futuristic elements.[1] This includes, but not limited to, the genres science fiction, fantasy, superhero fiction, science fantasy, horror and supernatural fiction, as well as their combinations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculative_fiction

Hell, "superhero fiction" is even listed as its own thing under Speculative Fiction.

Do you think it is more fantasy or sci-fi?  They certainly are loaded with technology and "bitten by a radioactive spider" is an attempt to coat it in science, but really, that's more a fantasy thing. 

Has anyone else pondered this or am I just wandering around lost in metaphysical thoughts? 

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

Well... it is an esoteric discussion.  :)

I don't suppose it matters as long as we have cute guys that look good in tight spandex. ;)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 2 months later...

Depends on the character or company. Wonder Woman is tied to Greek Mythology. Superman is the last of his race (except for Supergirl, Zod, and a dozen others) showing how he is the ultimate alien. The Flash they tie to the speed force and go sci-fi. Ironman is alive because he built his suit. Spider-Man and even The Lizard are pseudo-science. All are fun but I'd say fantasy. 

• Like 1