The Drop in Centre

Mikiesboy

• Site Moderator
7 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

I think we'll try your lovely salad. Cucumbers are not easy on a couple of us, but we could replace them with sweet peppers, I think. I'm happy with non-meat meals, but I live with a couple of Bears (polar and grizzly) who would eat it but would need meat on the side. 

Would zucchini as a substitute be too similar to a cucumber? I think I should be looking that up...

• Love 4

5 hours ago, Starrynight22 said:

Oh millet looks like couscous 

I've seen this type of salad before.  I have not made it because I'm allergic to cucumber and I dislike the texture of uncooked tomatoes, but it's a popular summer salad here in the states

It does indeed look like couscous, has a similar texture, but tastes… hmm… more "whole"? Can't describe it really. I did find that recipe somewhere, and as I was trying to find new grain variants that are healthy, different, and local, I realized I probably didn't have millet before in my life. At least not when I was growing up. The German word is "Goldhirse".

Not blaming you for not trying that salad with an allergy to cucumbers and a dislike of raw tomatoes 😂

Maybe I'll post my recipe for a tofu goulash stew soon. I have a particular fondness of bell peppers (German "Paprika").

• Love 3

3 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

Would zucchini as a substitute be too similar to a cucumber? I think I should be looking that up...

If you ask me, you can put zucchini into everything! :D

But depending on what the allergy is triggered by, they might be a culprit, too. 

• Love 4

12 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

I think we'll try your lovely salad. Cucumbers are not easy on a couple of us, but we could replace them with sweet peppers

Try soaking the cut up cucumbers in some cold salted water for about 30 minutes in the fridge, then drain and rinse. I love cucumbers, but unless I soak them, I'll taste them for hours on end. 

I make a summer cucumber salad with a dressing of sour cream, mayonnaise, rice wine vinegar, dill, and a pinch of sweetener. It's a nice side for grilled meats. 

Edited by spyke
  • Love 4

One of my last days at the day job! Hello everyone and good morning. 💚

It's such an odd vibe. We all go here still, do our best, and laugh about the state of things. It's a nice team and I will miss them.

(In Germany, 3 months of full pay are guaranteed in case of a bankruptcy, so we're covered from January until March 31.)

• Love 5

10 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

That's a great idea.. i am not a fan of cooked zucchini, but i like it raw and it would be great in this salad. Brilliant idea!!

• Love 2

So if anyone is contemplating a change of career, I am about to impart a tad bit of unsolicited advice. 

If you apply for a position....say.. front desk receptionist... and you have no office experience, that's fine. It's an easily trainable role. I will work with you. Please tell me about relevant skills that you may have. Such as you are good with customers or have a pleasant demeanor... ot that you're willing to learn. 

For the love of of all things pink and Barbie, please don't include your Glamour Shots head-tilt pose, flashing teeth that make Ross's from Friends look like a 4 pack a day smoker's (you know the episode) and extol your ability to blow-dry and flat-iron your client's hair. 

SMH 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤯 

#howisthismylifelol

🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2
  • Wow 3

7 hours ago, kbois said:

#howisthismylifelol

I did chuckle a bit.

I'm glad I was never in any sort of HR position or had to train people.

Hope you have a great week regardless :D 💜

• Like 1
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, kbois said:

So if anyone is contemplating a change of career, I am about to impart a tad bit of unsolicited advice. 

If you apply for a position....say.. front desk receptionist... and you have no office experience, that's fine. It's an easily trainable role. I will work with you. Please tell me about relevant skills that you may have. Such as you are good with customers or have a pleasant demeanor... ot that you're willing to learn. 

For the love of of all things pink and Barbie, please don't include your Glamour Shots head-tilt pose, flashing teeth that make Ross's from Friends look like a 4 pack a day smoker's (you know the episode) and extol your ability to blow-dry and flat-iron your client's hair. 

SMH 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤯 

#howisthismylifelol

🤣🤣🤣

So would "I give good TikTok" be a relevant skill?  Asking for a friend. 🤣

We've been through 5 front desk receptionists in the past 2 years. As much as we tried, they were all untrainable.  Every single day was like their first day at work, and having them repeat the same questions day after day was exhausting for everyone. Seriously, how hard is it to file things by alphabetical order or write a receipt? 

You'll find the right one, it's just going to take more time than it did a few years ago. No one is teaching resume writing or interviewing skills anymore, and it shows. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1

3 hours ago, drown said:

I did chuckle a bit.

I'm glad I was never in any sort of HR position or had to train people.

Hope you have a great week regardless :D 💜

It's going to be a busy week. 

I can't wait to see what today's offering brings. Lol

13 minutes ago, spyke said:

So would "I give good TikTok" be a relevant skill?  Asking for a friend. 🤣

We've been through 5 front desk receptionists in the past 2 years. As much as we tried, they were all untrainable.  Every single day was like their first day at work, and having them repeat the same questions day after day was exhausting for everyone. Seriously, how hard is it to file things by alphabetical order or write a receipt? 

You'll find the right one, it's just going to take more time than it did a few years ago. No one is teaching resume writing or interviewing skills anymore, and it shows. 

Sure.. giving good Tik Tok is a lifelong skill you can apply to many positions 😆

Yeah.. finding people with basic skills is hard. Especially here in Florida where those with functional brain cells are few and far between. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Happy... oh.. wait  It's Tuesday.. Happy Tuesday.  This one is true ... i've had some very i'm-not-lovable days...

hopefully today ain't one of 'em!  Have a great day!!

image.png.ff3f3c89a5e0a4ff27a7650ebce44e0f.png

• Love 3

5 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Happy... oh.. wait  It's Tuesday.. Happy Tuesday.  This one is true ... i've had some very i'm-not-lovable days...

hopefully today ain't one of 'em!  Have a great day!!

image.png.ff3f3c89a5e0a4ff27a7650ebce44e0f.png

I needed this one this morning. 

• Love 3

1 minute ago, kbois said:

I needed this one this morning. 

It's okay to be prickly... here's a book about it:

image.png.06dfa932c5349e012d9edfe59c9a9808.png

• Love 3

Walmart Delivery, while free, is stupid. 

We ordered 2 x toilet paper, 2x paper towel and a package of napkins.   Why is this being delivered by two companies?  On two different days?

Insane. Fed Ex is bring the TP and PT and some other courier the napkins.

i need to rest now ...

• Haha 3

OM Gosh ...

So, we have this very nice cutting board, that was handmade by a friend.  It sadly got wet and was left and warped pretty badly.  We discussed what we could do about it.  We had a look online.. some people said put weight on it others said soak it more and then weigh it down. 

But one said, the best thing to do is to put it on a flat surface and leave it alone for a week.

We decided to try this and we looked at it last night and it was dry and perfectly flat!   Amazing. 

Thought i'd share in case this happens to you.

• Love 3

15 hours ago, kbois said:

SMH 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤯 

#howisthismylifelol

🤣🤣🤣

Ok, I feel like I missed something here. 

Didn't you just start a new job fronting for a campground or something similar?  And now you need to hire front desk help?

I think I may qualify. 18 yrs in the qc lab give me excellent record keeping, the daycare taught me to deal with children and childish parents, and running the barn for over 10 yrs taught me to juggle.

• Love 2

13 minutes ago, Kitt said:

Ok, I feel like I missed something here. 

Didn't you just start a new job fronting for a campground or something similar?  And now you need to hire front desk help?

I think I may qualify. 18 yrs in the qc lab give me excellent record keeping, the daycare taught me to deal with children and childish parents, and running the barn for over 10 yrs taught me to juggle.

I haven't even been through my training yet as far as how this company's hiring process works. The front desk position has been open since the end of January. 

Come on down... I'll hire you in a heartbeat. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

First box arrived..  Big enough for a least 2 packages of napkins ... sigh.. how is this green?

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

Just now, Mikiesboy said:

First box arrived..  Big enough for a least 2 packages of napkins ... sigh.. how is this green?

It's not. Big companies limit their shipping costs by limiting the sizes of boxes they use. So if your one package of napkins doesn't fit into a certain size, the computer automatically assigns it the next bigger size, even if it will accommodate an elephant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Funny, since covid we haven't heard from cardboard box producers saying they are struggling.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Love 1

If you like proper films with beginnings, middles and proper and satisfying ends, please watch Living with the wonderful Bill Nighy.

Oh, so well acted and written.  An absolutely lovely film.

image.png.406bc8b952da3249fd2683f3b6b0a7aa.png

• Like 1
  • Love 4

• Site Moderator
2 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

If you like proper films with beginnings, middles and proper and satisfying ends, please watch Living with the wonderful Bill Nighy.

Oh, so well acted and written.  An absolutely lovely film.

image.png.406bc8b952da3249fd2683f3b6b0a7aa.png

Looks like it's on Amazon Prime, so I'll definitely check it out. 

Thanks for the recommendation, tim. 👍 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Today I went to work—long shall it be remembered as the thing that no longer is—in just a hoodie, no jacket. 15ºC/59ºF! And there’s even some sun and wind. I love wind.

Good morning everyone.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Posted (edited)

Morning...rough night.. waaaay too hot.. we got up at 5 to change the duvet to a flannel sheet. Much better didnt wake up again until 9am.. slept thru Michael going to work.   Hope you're okay. Supposed be over 60F here today .. Dan and i will be out for a walk for sure.

image.png.e8cdce1292decc281669ed8068359fbf.png

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Love 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..