The Drop in Centre

Mikiesboy

31 minutes ago, Defiance19 said:

Random: This author Bryce Lee is posting again.. When I was a lurker I was so into his story, then he disappeared.. I hope this means he’ll finish it. 

i read it .. it was ok.. but i dont like stories that are done as : Joe's POV .. and  Mary's POV..   not my thing.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Night, tim! 

I’m heading off, too. Why do I start new shows just before bed time? Three episodes later... Goodnight, DiC. See you tomorrow! :hug:  

Night Thorn.. sleep well..

With that,  it’s my turn..

Sleep well when you go everyone! 

Night night...

• Like 2
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

i read it .. it was ok.. but i dont like stories that are done as : Joe's POV .. and  Mary's POV..   not my thing.

Now I'm curious.  If it is a rehash of the same scene, I'm with you.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Night, tim! 

I’m heading off, too. Why do I start new shows just before bed time? Three episodes later... Goodnight, DiC. See you tomorrow! :hug:  

Umm, because that is when you are settling down to relax befor sleep?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Kitt said:

Umm, because that is when you are settling down to relax befor sleep?

Yeah, but watching stuff doesn’t help me sleep. It wakes me up, especially if it’s good and I just wanna binge watch the whole thing, lol!

Morning, DiC. Hope you all have a great Tuesday. I plan to do as little as possible this week and just hope I can finally shake this cold. I’m so fucking sick of it...

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

have a good day all!

morning sweetheart!

1 hour ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Morning, DiC. Hope you all have a great Tuesday. I plan to do as little as possible this week and just hope I can finally shake this cold. I’m so fucking sick of it...

hi Thorn! hope you're able to rest a bit today

hello Sirs and other friends!

ok i'm prepping for a meeting in 40 minutes (yikes) see y'all later

• Like 2
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

morning sweetheart!

hi Thorn! hope you're able to rest a bit today

ok i'm prepping for a meeting in 40 minutes (yikes) see y'all later

Good luck with your meeting, molly! :hug: 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

have a good day all!

2 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

24 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

Hi all! Have a great day today, or at least better than mine. Families are hard to deal with, but thankfully Lunar New Year tradition here lasts only a day. Ready to go to sleep now.. Also, @Thorn Wilde get well soon :hug:

• Like 2
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, c081huang said:

Hi all! Have a great day today, or at least better than mine. Families are hard to deal with, but thankfully Lunar New Year tradition here lasts only a day. Ready to go to sleep now.. Also, @Thorn Wilde get well soon :hug:

Thanks! Sorry you had a bad day. Hope tomorrow treats you better. :hug: 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Backwoods Boy said:

Now I'm curious.  If it is a rehash of the same scene, I'm with you.

Storms has chapters from first person POV of four different characters. Not everyone's cup of tea. I hardly ever do the same scene from more than one POV, though. I think there's one where I summarise a scene from one chapter in another one. Only briefly, though.

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Storms has chapters from first person POV of four different characters. Not everyone's cup of tea. I hardly ever do the same scene from more than one POV, though. I think there's one where I summarise a scene from one chapter in another one. Only briefly, though.

No...imo it should be in 3rd. But...That's just moi.

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

I need to check out the story tim mentioned.  I also need to read Storms. There is so much to get involved with here I sometimes have trouble choosing.

If I correctly understand what you've said about Storms, I've tried that (not here), writing in first-person of the main character most involved (there were four) as if it were a joint project and they were aware of each other's chapters.  I have mixed feelings about the results. It allowed some interesting side humor where one character could comment (briefly) about the viewpoint of another and allowed for the most complete coverage.  However, even though I started each chapter with text and dialogue that made it clear (to me) who was "writing", I think it confused the reader.  I've sometimes written a first-person chapter from two perspectives, but then picked the one I liked the best.  I've never yet written in third person, and think it would be more of a challenge.

• Like 5

A world of white this morning.  A nice quiet world of white, with about an inch here near the river, but fantastic beauty going up the mountains on the other side.  Tomorrow is supposed to be clear but cold, and photography may be the order of the day :D

Hope everyone has a great day.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I think all POV styles can be interesting if done well. Most writers tend to fall back on first-person narrative because it's easiest. It's good to experiment, mix up writing styles. I personally prefer third-person when reading, but then I wrote Dissonance in third-person limited, which means we see the story through only one character's viewpoint, although it is not first-person. I did stick one chapter in the middle that is third-person POV from a second character's perspective, and I struggled with whether to include it or not, but the creative flow demanded it, so I kept it in. 

Writing lately in second-person POV has been an interesting exercise. 

• Like 5

You see I'm the exact opposite. I love writing in 3rd-person. Within one scene, I can drop in what one person is thinking and what another one is as well, and have them both looking at the situation differently. When it comes to 1st-person, I struggle with it. Yes, I have a few stories written in that format---Eric, Hell's Vengence---but I've tossed out more and rewritten others because they sucked. Haven't even attempted 2nd-person, but I love to read it. Mac's "Lessons" story is a beautiful example of how 2nd-person works.

In my humble opinion, for switching the narrator in 1st-person. If done within a scene/chapter, no... that's too confusing. Each chapter with a different narrator, that's doable, as long as it's clear that it's a different narrator and it's not a rehash. I've read BB's story that does this, and it works. I've also read a series called The Iron Druid, by Kevin Hearn, that does this in later books. The first few the books were told by one narrator, then as it went to three main characters, each chapter dealt with one character's PoV, but it furthered the story, and was not a rehash. It also worked due to the three mains were not together, in different parts of the world, doing different things, that all converged into one arc.

Also, good day everyone. I hope all is well. A little break while I take the day off to destress.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..